Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sora components...what's wrong with them?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-24-05, 03:05 PM
jbrians
crusty

Bikes: Giant Kronos, Miele Appolo, Miele 12 spd, Diamondback Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I treated myself to a new roadie for the first time in 20 years. I was riding a friction shift Miele 12 speed with antique Shimano components (before they even came with names) about 1000k every year and decided to treat myself to something newer (I'm 51 and needed a cheap mid life crisis alternative )

I purchased a very nice Giant Kronos frame and built it up with all new Sora components. 24 speeds! I'm so spoiled now. I wanted STI shifting but didn't really want to spring for an Ultegra group and maybe reliability issues with the 9-10 speed units.
I can't belive the number of people who tell me what a load of crap the SORA stuff is! So far, it is a great shifting bike and it stops quickly when I want it to. It's light enough and I NEVER get off on hills and the ride is supple without being at all sloppy on rough roads. What's with the hate for SORA?

My Miele...which I'm going to keep...has been maintained by me since new and apart from tires is totally original except for chain and freewheel. Maybe every 2-3 years, I change them both at the same time.

FWIW I have always used a good grade of synth. motor oil (usually something like Mobil1) diluted to 1/3 with varsol on the chain every couple of weeks and wipe it down with a rag before riding after the solvent has evaporated. I never have a dirt problem and I like the fact that I'll get better protection on rainy rides.
I hope I can get the same sort of lifespan from the new components. What don't I know about SORA or is it just snob appeal?
Old 08-24-05, 03:09 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sora is not bad its just that it is the entry level components. i whiched from sora to veloce and it was a world of difference but it is still good stuff. i would rather have a new entry level bike with sora over a old bike with tube shifters.
Old 08-24-05, 03:14 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrians
What don't I know about SORA or is it just snob appeal?
bingo! it's snob appeal for the most part. the higher level components won't necessarily last longer either - but they will shift a little crisper and weigh less. but you shouldn't have any issues with sora.
Old 08-24-05, 03:16 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing particularly wrong with it. The rear derailleur can be a complete pain to keep in tune, but other than that it all works well (that's not to say that you won't notice the difference with a higher end group). Being the only 8 speed group, it does limit you somewhat with parts replacement selection (chains, cassette). Some people find the thumbshifter frustrating to use.

Replace the chain before it wears completely, and there should be no reason to replace the cassette every time as well. A cassette should last a couple of chains easily...

My guess is that worries about reliability of 9/10 speed drivetrains have just as much poor reasoning behind them as Sora being a bad component group....
Old 08-24-05, 03:18 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Uh, It's not dura-ace?

No, it's that lance doesn't ride sora.

If your happy, what's the problem?
Old 08-24-05, 07:06 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yey there is nothing wrong with them i just don't like the thumb shifters and limited aftermarket
Old 08-25-05, 02:27 PM
toomyus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its kinda like saying, whats the difference between a ford mustang sports car and a porsche sports car. ya, the both are fast , maybe the same speed in a straight line, but one is clearly better, and one was engineered to higher standards. granted, there is no replacement for fitness and strong legs, but better gear helps you a lot when you have the body for it.
Old 08-25-05, 02:43 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just realized you ride 1000k a year thats 1,000,000 miles a year that is 2739 miles a day and you have to average 114 MPH you are a golden god oh yeah and thats non stop for 8760 hours.
Old 08-25-05, 02:50 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVO820
i just realized you ride 1000k a year thats 1,000,000 miles a year that is 2739 miles a day and you have to average 114 MPH you are a golden god oh yeah and thats non stop for 8760 hours.
...or since the OP is in Canada, that 'k' could be short for 'kilometre'. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-05, 02:54 PM
TriEngineer
Fitter of road/ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the only problem with them is the fact that you have to come out of the aero position to downshift
good for cx though
Old 08-25-05, 02:56 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeeaaaah...

I'm feeling like maybe 1000k is a little more in line with 1000 kilometers or 620 miles.

Mmm hmm...
Old 08-25-05, 03:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with sora.
Old 08-25-05, 03:05 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen this question come up before. I'd been away from biking long enough that Sora was new to me when I got back into it this year.

My bike came with a Sora rear derailleur (8-speed). No problems as yet.

One thing: the shifters that came with the bike were SRAM MRX Grip-shifts. They've worked well with the Shimano derailleurs (Deore front/Sora rear).

I've HEARD - several times now - Sora Grip-shifts aren't as robust or functional as the SRAMs.

Anyone care to comment on this?
Old 08-25-05, 03:11 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I prefer friction shifters, but of the Shimano STI shifters I have used, Sora is the best. Fast and precise shifting. The thumb shifter is perfect for me, as I usually have my hands on the brake hoods. The Sora brakes have a nice balance of stopping power and modulation.

By most reports, the chains on a Sora eight speed set-up last about twice as long as the chains on the new ten-speed set-ups. And, I'd suspect that the wear on the cogs may follow a similar pattern.
Old 08-25-05, 03:21 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modernized an older Centurion with mostly Sora. Only complaint is rear der must weigh 5 pounds? It works fine however.
Old 08-25-05, 03:47 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the Sora shifters come with instructions? DO they usually?
Old 08-25-05, 03:54 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by af895
I've HEARD - several times now - Sora Grip-shifts aren't as robust or functional as the SRAMs.
I really don't know waht you are talking about. Sora doesn't make grip shifts.
Old 08-25-05, 04:13 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
I really don't know waht you are talking about. Sora doesn't make grip shifts.

OH Ok... just "Shimano" Grip-shifts in general. Disregard the Sora part.
Old 08-25-05, 07:56 PM
jbrians
crusty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize the possibility of there being a communication gap! 1000k is, as some guessed, 1000 kilometres per year.
I don't know what the sora RD weighs..it's on the bike until it needs to come off. The whole bike is only 22 lbs witn carrier etc. so how much is too much for an RD? It has more ferrous metals in it than the others but as long as it keeps working somoothly I'll be getting out of it exactly what I expect of it! I'll keep it clean and lubed.
I wondered about the chain deal as well. The 9/10 sp chains seem to be very fragile compared to the 8sp and under. A chain that doesn't stretch won't wreak your sprockets, correct?
I'm not, nor will I ever be, a 10/10ths rider. Dura Ace would be great but at what cost and at what replacement interval. It's nice to think/hope that I can get good performance from one ride to the next without having to rebuild everything
My next bike is going to be a TI......
Old 08-25-05, 09:15 PM
stonooka

Bikes: trying to decide on sport tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I've been thinking about upgrading my vintage bike shifters with Sora brifters since I have a 7 speed free wheel which can be upgraded to 8 speed (I have 130 mm rear drops). As a newbie, I ride more often in an upright position with my hands on the top flat section of the drop bars and I find my 2 lever STI shifters on the flat section very convenient which are reachable w/o changing hand positions.

Would I have to be riding more than now with my hands over the top of the brifters or in the drops if I have brifters in order to shift? I am presently shifting a lot more than braking where I do not have to be in the drops or on top of the brake lever and I don't have to change hand positions to shift.

If I get a newer bike, I definitely will have to get used to brifters. I guess you always have to be in the lowest drop position to use bar ends but I suppose you could ride on the flat position and reach down to the drop with the appropriate one hand to operate the bar end. Tourers seem to love bar ends. Is that how they do it?

Sinchi
Old 08-25-05, 10:25 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor
Yeeaaaah...

I'm feeling like maybe 1000k is a little more in line with 1000 kilometers or 620 miles.

Mmm hmm...
true...but....damn...the more i notice alot of people on this forum talk in metric. well im in A mur ei cA and i speak AmureicAn Damnit and k means a thousand. now someone get me a beer goddang ol dang.
Old 09-19-05, 07:30 AM
jbrians
crusty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVO820
true...but....damn...the more i notice alot of people on this forum talk in metric. well im in A mur ei cA and i speak AmureicAn Damnit and k means a thousand. now someone get me a beer goddang ol dang.
You are absolutely right! k DOES mean 1000. In this case it's metres!
And btw, I learned the imperial measuring system first (51 isn't old yet but I'm creeping up on it lol) so metric isn't my first language.
btw, would that be a CANADIAN beer?

The SORA STI 8 speed so far has been great. I'm comparing it favourably with my 105 STI equipped bike. The components look a little cheaper....more alloy on the 105 and the SORA badges are just stickons, whereas the 105 is painted but they both shift positively and precisely. In the good old days a good driver could downshift a non-syncro manual transmission as smoothly as others could shift an all syncro box.

Don't pass on the SORA just because it sounds cheap.

Brian
Old 09-19-05, 08:28 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with Sora. Have Sora on my Centurion rebuild. Have maybe 500 miles on it this summer and none of the problems stated. Only complaint is the rear der must weigh 5 pounds! Seems very dependable.
Old 09-19-05, 08:34 AM
illibuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will a 7 spd Sora brifter work with MTB components? I would like to put drop bars on my old MTB ('96 Trek 830 w/ 7spd Alivio rear and triple Acera X front derailleur). Sora is the only triple front 7spd rear brifters that I can find. Does anyone see any potential problems?
Old 09-19-05, 08:48 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by illibuck
Will a 7 spd Sora brifter work with MTB components? I would like to put drop bars on my old MTB ('96 Trek 830 w/ 7spd Alivio rear and triple Acera X front derailleur). Sora is the only triple front 7spd rear brifters that I can find. Does anyone see any potential problems?
NO.
Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.