Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is being drafted annoying?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is being drafted annoying?

Old 08-26-05, 05:13 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1955
Sorry, but I wasn't very clear here, I was NOT talking about sitting at the bar where you expect someone will sit next to you, I was referring to a booth where you expect to be alone.
I guess my point is that the open road is not exactly a private booth. I still don't think it's rude to sit next to someone without asking permission -- or ride next to them, behind them, in front of them or beside them, without asking permission.

Whether you "get it" or not doesn't really concern me there will always be rude people out there that just don't get it, you just may be one of them.
I also don't think it's necessary to make personal attacks when I expressed quite plainly that you and I might well become friends if we were to meet as strangers.
Old 08-26-05, 05:48 PM
puddin' legs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Here's the local ediquette:

If you approach another rider and draft, you had better lead within 500m for a turn out front. If you are being drafted without the other rider leading, pull hard to the right and let him go out front, if he doesn't, call him an a-hole, because that's what he is.

BTW, in the old days of italian cycling, not leading on the draft was rewarded with a pump in the spokes. Doesn't work to well with Co2 cartriges.

The old pump in the spokes...someone's been watching "Breaking Away". Another cycling myth to go with the dangers of drafters stories. In the old days we heard that story too, yet no one's every witnessed it, including those old Italians. Fear rules, eh?
Old 08-26-05, 05:57 PM
bolton wanderer
DARWEN LANCASHIRE ENGLAND

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mmmmm, food for thought...

I ve been riding for a lot of years and i think that many posters to this thread havent worked out the difference between drafting and pacing yet??

To be drafting you must be right on someones wheel for the aerodynamic advantage to take effect, whereas you can pace someone at 5 feet apart all day long.

Just my thoughts, but drafting at high speed is v. risky with someone you dont know and i'd sooner they came up alongside for a chat. Most roadies in England are a friendly bunch, you meet someone on the road get talking briefly then naturally take turns on the front...it just sorta works out...if not , im strong and i can pace a weaker rider 5 feet back for miles on end...

I tend to agree with puddin' legs that its wannabees and relative newcomers to the sport who are pretty ignorant.
I certainly wouldnt blow snot or yell at someone who sat on for a bit, that just serves to underline YOUR own ignorance. I suspect that i may be a bit of a late 30s fuddy duddy but when i started riding , cycling was a bit more social and less "hardcore Xtreme"...sure we sprinted for primes and up hills, but all this "wheelsucking" stuff was kept for racing situations.

If youre all that concerned about someone sitting in then just sit up! They'll some come through or ride 2 up. No need for all this anger....(shakes head)...

(.....Although these triathlete types seem to have no time for anyone..... )
Old 08-26-05, 06:03 PM
recneps345

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo-
So I've read some posts on here from people that don't like people drafting them. I just thought that they were strange and that I would never meet someone like that....

... So today I'm riding up a slight uphill and I see a dude ahead of me at like 50-100 meters. This guy is riding a nice bike (looks like a full carbon) and has his full biking 'fit on. So I catch him and draft this guy 3-5 feet behind him. We're doing 16-17 mph. Half a minute goes by and he realizes I'm behind him. Now for this half minute, he's going in a straight line. When he realizes I'm behind him, he starts swerving left and right. Not wildly, but obviously doesn't want me behind him. I'm thinking WTF. I'm not breathing any of his air, blocking his view, or being a nuissance. I'm far enough behind him that if I crash, I won't bring him down. So I stay behind him and he shifts to a higher gear and tries to drop me. I'm thinking, "Nah, buddy you ain't dropping me." I shift as well and catch his draft. So we're cruising at 18-19 mph for a couple minutes and he looks behind and sees me. I flash him one of my great smiles. At this point I turn on my NOS, shift to a higher gear and go by this dude at 20-21 mph. As I go by I say, "Thanks for the draft." He looks at me with a "who the hell are you" look.

So what's the big deal of not wanting people drafting you?
I ride to enjoy being outdoors and to get away from people. Most would consider me a people person, but I just love getting away from everything when I ride. That includes having some stranger follow behind me my entire ride. I wouldnt be rude. I would probably just try to drop you or slow to let you pass. Surely you can see why some feel this way. It also seems like you were a bit of a smarta--.
Old 08-26-05, 06:12 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a guy grab my wheel last Sunday and sure enough after 2 minutes he pulled next to me, chatted a second fiqured we were going same place, and from there we traded pulls for about 12 miles. If someone were back there more than say 3 minutes without saying hi, or taking a pull, especially with a headwind I'll sit up. There are some lazy leeches out there
Old 08-26-05, 06:16 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: '11 Cannondale Synapsese 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uxrider
I find a well aimed snot rocket tends to get them to back off my wheel!
You do that to some people and drafting may be the least of your worries.

― Bruce Lee
Old 08-26-05, 06:22 PM
azwhelan

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I stay behind him and he shifts to a higher gear and tries to drop me. I'm thinking, "Nah, buddy you ain't dropping me." I shift as well and catch his draft. So we're cruising at 18-19 mph for a couple minutes and he looks behind and sees me. I flash him one of my great smiles. At this point I turn on my NOS, shift to a higher gear and go by this dude at 20-21 mph. As I go by I say, "Thanks for the draft." He looks at me with a "who the hell are you" look.

So what's the big deal of not wanting people drafting you?[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out from the original post. The guy he was drafting seems to make an an attempt at letting him no that he's not welcome and he chooses to ignore it and puff up his chest. What is it with people and the "I'm not going to get dropped/passed" attitude when out on a solo ride? Obviously from this topic some people don't like to be drafted and some don't mind. If they give you the indication they don't want to be drafted respect that. To each their own. It also would have been better form instead of "going by the dude" is to offer him your wheel for a while. You come off as a "wheel sucker".

I do have a couple of questions though. This topic seems to be focused on training rides. Do the same rules apply on say a charity ride? It seems that if you're at an event you have to expect strangers to group together. Also when I'm drafting I'll almost always wait my turn to pull as leaders fade back one by one. Some people seem to be implying that you should jump up to the front on your own and take your turn. Unless someone in the front is dying and failing to fade back on their own I generally won't jump to the front. I would hate to think someone is waiting for me to take over while I'm waiting for him to indicate he wants off the front.
Old 08-26-05, 08:06 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charity rides are social events. I'd guess that those posting about being bothered by having someone sit on their wheel or not talking to anyone because they're "serious" about their training wouldn't be involved in a charity ride to begin with. If it isn't about 'me' it just won't be happening. Charity rides and organized centuries are all about having fun, meeting new folks, riding a new road, and having a good time within the context of a group event.

Bolton, this thread makes me feel like a dinosaur...
Old 08-26-05, 08:42 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
this thread makes me feel like a dinosaur...
Hey "old fella", guess I'm a young dinosaur right along with you and bolton. Blanket permission hereby granted to suck my wheel anytime
Old 08-26-05, 11:06 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish that I was strong enough to be drafted by someone, I'd find it to be a compliment of sorts.
Old 08-26-05, 11:46 PM
Bécane
Positio, ergo sum!

Bikes: Cannondale - R5000 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose51
I actually enjoy people drafting off of me. It really motivates me to keep going.
Same here.
Old 08-26-05, 11:48 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your in the no need to announce camp i got to tell you something i ride hard in to corners and other braking zones. I just like the g forces i guess. so be warned
Old 08-27-05, 12:08 AM
Wind 'N Snow
What icy wind?

Bikes: Cervélo Dual, old Pinarello Montello & older Miyata Alumicross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes have a "gas" issue. And frankly, I get all embarrased and it cramps my style if someone is drafting. Every now and I get I can't help it and the drafting quickly ends.

For this insane reason, as well as other things that have been mentioned -etiquette, subtly forcing the leader rider to speed up and ride differnently, trust, etc. etc. Wheel sucking isn't cool.

What's that smell?
Old 08-27-05, 01:01 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
I guess my point is that the open road is not exactly a private booth. I still don't think it's rude to sit next to someone without asking permission -- or ride next to them, behind them, in front of them or beside them, without asking permission.

I also don't think it's necessary to make personal attacks when I expressed quite plainly that you and I might well become friends if we were to meet as strangers.
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks

Look I have made some great friends on my rides, in fact about 6 months ago some riders passed me in a 30 mph headwind and said "hop on", which I did, and look forward to riding with them 2 to 3 days a week now. Those are my favorite rides. They are polite and considerate people.

Where I ride there can be miles between people and if you ride up and start chatting, great, but on the other hand if you just ride up and suck my wheel without a hello, then you are rude. Listen, it's not a bar or a restaurant, there's plenty of room for everyone, all I ask is that you introduce yourself, is that too much to ask of people. I find it hard to ride at the pace I set out to ride at with someone sitting back there that I don't know. I don't
Old 08-27-05, 01:08 AM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep. A greeting is a reasonable expectation.
Old 08-27-05, 07:01 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind getting drafted. I don't like scalp hunters though, who sit on your back wheel for a few miles and then try and drop you once they are rested.
Old 08-27-05, 07:26 AM
Marlin523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what's wrong with people to talking to one another? How about just asking if it's ok to ride along? I usually don't mind and have found that more inexperienced riders aren't going to ride too close anyway. I always figured if the guy behind me wanted me to go faster he would simply pass
Old 08-27-05, 07:40 AM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marlin523
So what's wrong with people to talking to one another? How about just asking if it's ok to ride along? I usually don't mind and have found that more inexperienced riders aren't going to ride too close anyway. I always figured if the guy behind me wanted me to go faster he would simply pass

Exactly! A quick "hey" is all it takes. I enjoy meeting other riders out on the road and I tend to be chatty below 20mph. Anything over the mid 20s is full consentration mode, and in that case I am not slowing to "catch" someones wheel for a while, and unless in a group, there are not too many riders going to wheel suck me either.

To the OP, while there is nothing inherently wrong with what you did, the guy was obviously annoyed (rightlyfully or wrongfully) in that case you should have just passed on by with a nod and gone on your way.

Zac
Old 08-27-05, 07:54 AM
Markedoc

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it all that complicated? I think most people can tell if another rider wants a companion or not. Say hello, and if the other person wants company, you will know it.

Personally, I can see why someone MIGHT be irritated by someone just grabbing a wheel for miles unannounced - if someone is on my wheel, I will of course point out potholes etc ... sometimes I do like to ride ALONE and not worry about a perfect line and pointing out every pothole and patch of sand in the road
Old 08-27-05, 09:38 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Gammy Leg
To all those who don't mind being drafted close by complete strangers; or who actually consider it arrogant to object

- Do you really, honestly not think it's extremely dangerous to have a total unknown stranger inches off your wheel at over 20 mph with traffic around? Seriously?

Nope. I'm of the opinion that anyone who can hold my wheel over 20mph is not a beginner and has some skill.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 08-27-05, 10:31 AM
DIVA

Bikes: ALLEZ DOLCE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with "1955" and a few other's. Just yesterday, I was riding about 20mph on the Hudson, passing a few riders. One decided to jump on my wheel. 1/2 mile down the road, I slowed down. Eventually, he got the 'hint' and moved on.

Similar thing in CP last week. She was bold enough to hold on to my seat bag so that I could pull her up a steep hill. I didn't know this women from a hole in a wall. Bold? Yes she was, but I kept my cool and got off the bike without kicking her in the face.

Yeah, it cool to "draft" someone and/or be drafted, but drafting somone you don't know without saying..."may I"? is rude.

Look I have made some great friends on my rides, in fact about 6 months ago some riders passed me in a 30 mph headwind and said "hop on", which I did, and look forward to riding with them 2 to 3 days a week now. Those are my favorite rides. They are polite and considerate people.

Where I ride there can be miles between people and if you ride up and start chatting, great, but on the other hand if you just ride up and suck my wheel without a hello, then you are rude. Listen, it's not a bar or a restaurant, there's plenty of room for everyone, all I ask is that you introduce yourself, is that too much to ask of people. I find it hard to ride at the pace I set out to ride at with someone sitting back there that I don't know. I don't
Old 08-27-05, 10:51 AM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yo
So I stay behind him and he shifts to a higher gear and tries to drop me. I'm thinking, "Nah, buddy you ain't dropping me." I shift as well and catch his draft. So we're cruising at 18-19 mph for a couple minutes and he looks behind and sees me. I flash him one of my great smiles.
Originally Posted by azwhelan
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out from the original post. The guy he was drafting seems to make an an attempt at letting him no that he's not welcome and he chooses to ignore it and puff up his chest.
We caught it. That's why some of us compared the OP's behaviour to that of a stalker.
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Old 08-27-05, 09:01 PM
Yo-
Hold me, ShaqDaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom line: There is a purpose and advantage to riding close behind another rider. It's not about being a stalker or invading another's personal space. If I ride close behind or another rider rides close behind me, I know exactly why he/she is riding close behind me. It is to catch a draft.

This is not the same as running or walking behind someone on the streets. There is no reasonable explanation as to why a person would run or walk close behind someone on an empty street (unless it was a hottie). In this situation, it is stalkerish... but if things were different. If catching drafts worked while walking or running, you would see people walking or running close behind each other all the time. And it would be cool. It would be an unspoken rule. Like it should be in cycling.

Catch my drift?

If the guy I drafted wanted to draft me, I would not have minded one bit if he drafted me, but I'm not going to cater my riding to him and made sure he got a drink before or got enough momentum to catch me.

By the way, I say hi or wave to every rider I PASS. I don't start talking to riders I ride up from behind because I don't expect them to turn around or raise their voice in the wind. If I want to chat I'll ride up beside you, but that means that I can pass you so there's no need to catch your draft.
Old 08-27-05, 09:25 PM
recneps345

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo-
Bottom line: There is a purpose and advantage to riding close behind another rider. It's not about being a stalker or invading another's personal space. If I ride close behind or another rider rides close behind me, I know exactly why he/she is riding close behind me. It is to catch a draft.

This is not the same as running or walking behind someone on the streets. There is no reasonable explanation as to why a person would run or walk close behind someone on an empty street (unless it was a hottie). In this situation, it is stalkerish... but if things were different. If catching drafts worked while walking or running, you would see people walking or running close behind each other all the time. And it would be cool. It would be an unspoken rule. Like it should be in cycling.

Catch my drift?

If the guy I drafted wanted to draft me, I would not have minded one bit if he drafted me, but I'm not going to cater my riding to him and made sure he got a drink before or got enough momentum to catch me.

By the way, I say hi or wave to every rider I PASS. I don't start talking to riders I ride up from behind because I don't expect them to turn around or raise their voice in the wind. If I want to chat I'll ride up beside you, but that means that I can pass you so there's no need to catch your draft.
What does any of this have to do with the fact that some people just dont want to be drafted?
Old 08-27-05, 10:52 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not wanting to be drafted is fine, but in the big picture, it's a relatively new phenomenon and a bit of a shock to folks who've been riding a long time. Drafting is (was?) a part of cycling. Even if the person sitting on has low social skills and doesn't ask or make his/her presence known, then go the extra yard and let them know you're on you're own program and would like to ride alone. Say it with a smile. A little communication goes a very long way toward making the planet spin with a bit less friction. From the tone of many of the posts earlier on, it seems like many of the no-draft crowd are almost seeking confrontation... our worlds usually become what we make them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.