Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what do you do about abusive motorists

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

what do you do about abusive motorists

Old 08-28-05, 10:24 PM
PinkFloyd
Just another brick.......

Bikes: 2004 Tommasini Carbo-Fire, 2004 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't care less if someone shouts something stupid at me as they drive by. It may be hard at times, but ignore the morons. Even that hasn't yet happened to me, probably 'cause 1) I tend to ride with at least one other rider and 2) I'm 6'2", 245 pounds.

One piece of equipment that I ALWAYS carry is a cell phone. If someone did something truly dangerous (throw something or try to run me off the road), I would call 911 if possible and also do whatever was best at the time to defend myself and my fellow riders from that person's further use of unlawful force. Around here, a vehicle driven in a way clearly intended to harm someone (like me on my bike) is considered a deadly weapon and you may respond appropriately to try to stop them from hurting/killing you (this may be a foreign concept to those of you who live in the "blue states", but it's true).

I usually carry a small canister of pepper spray (mostly for dogs), but if I can figure out a sensible (and comfortable) way to carry my compact Glock 9mm while cycling, I'll be taking that along as well. Anyone have any good suggestions along those lines?
Old 08-28-05, 10:31 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always am listening to my mp3 player while I ride so I just act as though I didn't hear them so they don't get to enjoy it. but when someone atempts to harm me it's a different story all together. I think i'm gonna start carring some old spark plugs with me to return fire with and keep the knife for one on one confrontations.

PS: Pink Floyd is the greatest for relaxing rides
Old 08-28-05, 10:43 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: raleigh grand prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a little note pad, and mini pencil on you, at the next red light, let them watch you right down their liscence plate number, if they say anything just say "well i'm off duty right now, but i'll be checking up on you" and just grin
Old 08-28-05, 11:49 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should do a 'Big Lewbowski" film with cycling instead of bowling.
Old 08-28-05, 11:51 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i always want to tak a bat to the cars that piss me off and scream "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU **** A STRANGER IN THE ASS"
Old 08-29-05, 05:53 AM
As You Like It
Enthusiasm on Wheels

Bikes: 1953 Schwinn Debutante, 1971 Hercules 3-speed, 1973 Schwinn Suburban, 1990 Huffy White River, 1990-something Bianchi Advantage, 1996 Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a big, cheezy Miss America parade wave, or else flip them a peace sign. I'm not trying to let anyone ruin my day.
Old 08-29-05, 06:28 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
I am just curious, if a motorist does spout off to you and you were to actually do something to their vehicle, such as shatter a window, knife a tire or something along those lines, would law enforcement in your area side with you?
Never. On the one side, there's no way to prove that a verbal assault even took place, it's just your word against theirs; but on the other side, you've got visible property damage to the vehicle. It seems extremely unlikely that you'd get away with this.

Last edited by va_cyclist; 08-29-05 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-29-05, 06:32 AM
sentinel

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a bit of friendly advice from the law enforcement perspective. If someone just uses words to say something you are in no way justified to do any damage to the vehicle. That damage would definetely make you the aggressor and not likely to get much sympathy from police.
Of course, you also have the right to defend yourself from a physical confrontation if you have to. It will look pretty bad if you carry bolts around as a practice because there is no real reason you'd have them other than to do damage. I do carry a gun in a fanny pack while riding and it never seems to be a problem. So far, I haven't had any problems with someone being an a**, but I'm sure it will happen.
Just be the bigger person and ignore them. Sometimes, I find that pisses people off more than anything.
Old 08-29-05, 06:45 AM
msparks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would pull over and whip out the cell phone. Also if you have a small pen pull it out and get their plate, make and model of their car. Then call the police, do you really think that idiots like that are only doing this to you???

Nope they probably do it to every biker they see. So what if it was someone less experienced and they crashed. Or an older person that has a heart attack?

Call the police on them every single time and I bet they will start to learn their lesson.
Old 08-29-05, 06:48 AM
Crayon
Resident madman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I shouldn't mention me and my riding partners "death pact" against gasholes...
Old 08-29-05, 06:57 AM
PinkFloyd
Just another brick.......

Bikes: 2004 Tommasini Carbo-Fire, 2004 Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sentinel
Here's a bit of friendly advice from the law enforcement perspective. If someone just uses words to say something you are in no way justified to do any damage to the vehicle. That damage would definetely make you the aggressor and not likely to get much sympathy from police.
Of course, you also have the right to defend yourself from a physical confrontation if you have to. It will look pretty bad if you carry bolts around as a practice because there is no real reason you'd have them other than to do damage. I do carry a gun in a fanny pack while riding and it never seems to be a problem. So far, I haven't had any problems with someone being an a**, but I'm sure it will happen.
Just be the bigger person and ignore them. Sometimes, I find that pisses people off more than anything.
Yep. You'd have a hard time explaining it to the officer (or later to a judge), "he called me a spandex wussie, so I chunked a piece of metal at his truck."
Old 08-29-05, 07:29 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I got into a fracas with a motorist that just "went off". He was just going crazy with obscenities and screaming. He threatened to break my neck. Every miserable thing in his miserable life came spilling out.

I had dialed 911 and they recorded the whole thing.

I gave them his license number, and they visited him at his house.

The other lesson here is: you don't know what the other guy is carrying, and you don't know how close he is to "losing it".
Old 08-29-05, 07:41 AM
Map tester
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just say "I'm really sorry about the size of your penis..."
Old 08-29-05, 07:53 AM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy manipulating the situation based upon the seriousness of the infraction and how I'm feeling. I rarely get angry, unless the motorist in question has endangered my life with his sloppy/dangerous/threatening driving, in which case things can escalate quickly.

Simple taunts and jeers are usually met with bland indifferent stares, yawns, or a languid middle finger, which I am careful to moisten first in my mouth while making eyecontact with the offender. Sticking your middle finger in your mouth and then extending it in the classic 'FU' gesture is patently offensive (try it in the mirror, you'll offend yourself) however if you do it with an expressionless face it's even better.

Swerves, objects thrown, and other dangerous behavior is met with either a fullblast of water in the offender's face and car (much better when it's accelerade or something else sticky) or my favorite, which is only done when truly dangerous behavior is directed at me, the Crack The Radio Antenna Off The Car gag.

Dave
Old 08-29-05, 07:54 AM
Stax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=PinkFloyd]I couldn't care less if someone shouts something stupid at me as they drive by. It may be hard at times, but ignore the morons. Even that hasn't yet happened to me, probably 'cause 1) I tend to ride with at least one other rider and 2) I'm 6'2", 245 pounds.

One piece of equipment that I ALWAYS carry is a cell phone. If someone did something truly dangerous (throw something or try to run me off the road), I would call 911 if possible and also do whatever was best at the time to defend myself and my fellow riders from that person's further use of unlawful force. Around here, a vehicle driven in a way clearly intended to harm someone (like me on my bike) is considered a deadly weapon and you may respond appropriately to try to stop them from hurting/killing you (this may be a foreign concept to those of you who live in the "blue states", but it's true).

I usually carry a small canister of pepper spray (mostly for dogs), but if I can figure out a sensible (and comfortable) way to carry my compact Glock 9mm while cycling, I'll be taking that along as well. Anyone have any good suggestions along those lines?
[/QUOTE

Riging with a loaded handgun?
Old 08-29-05, 08:41 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunabayashi
Sticking your middle finger in your mouth and then extending it in the classic 'FU' gesture is patently offensive (try it in the mirror, you'll offend yourself) however if you do it with an expressionless face it's even better.
I got offended (and a little queasy) just reading this!
Old 08-29-05, 09:11 AM
natethaskate
Commuter/Club Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a few situations where someone was driving like an a-hole and I caught up with them at a light. Usually they'll pretend like they did nothing wrong or roll up their window and speed off.
It's gotten ugly a couple of times, with guys following me, screaming isht and beeping their horns. For that reason, I don't even attempt to deal with peeps that appear to be off their nut. I'll call the cops if I think they're liable to run someone over, or I'll chalk it up to another freak behind the wheel.
Old 08-29-05, 09:53 AM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetfracture3
I look at them and shake my head.
ditto. then post on the bike forums ...

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 08-29-05, 10:14 AM
Ineedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
A thought: I have all the local police non-emergency numbers programmed into my cell phone. Get a plate and description, and report "erratic driving", which might at least result in a litte inconvenience. Or get the plate number and track them down a couple of days later and flatten their tires.
Around here, the police will take action, and very fast. We reported a semi the other day that almost hit us as we were riding along the shoulder of the road, called 911, reported the license number, and continued riding--voicing our concern that the driver might overly tired or drinking, and a danger to others on the road. A few miles up, we saw the truck had been pulled over by the police. They may not have ticketed the driver, but I'll bet he gives a little more thought to watching for bikes in the future.

Kids who beep and yell out the window? Good probability that alcohol is involved, and that's the approach I'd use on the police to spur them into action.

Getting arrested would have a lot more impact than a broken window.
Old 08-29-05, 10:15 AM
ginger green
Good Enough

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferniefreeheels
A couple years back I was biking with a bud. A jacked up 4X4 with a couple of drunk rednecks drove by slow. A fat beer bellied slob was leaning out the passengers window spouting off about spandex and ****'s etc. I promtly gave em the finger. They pulled over and this fat pig got out. We stopped and Gary and I got off our bikes. Gary kicked off his shoes and proceeded to beat this fat slob like a rented mule. The best part about it was the driver laughed his ass off, telling his fat friend he should of kept his pie hole shut and not fu** with guys in spandex.
I saw that movie too - except mine had an alternate ending. In this one the kids got to change dad diaper for 20 years because he took a bat to back of the head.

Last edited by ginger green; 08-29-05 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 10:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 289 Posts
I don't do anything.

I figure that whatever the driver did was done to either scare me or make me angry. Any response I make rewards him bacause it lets him know he was successful.
Old 08-29-05, 10:21 AM
Ineedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Stax]
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I couldn't care less if someone shouts something stupid at me as they drive by. It may be hard at times, but ignore the morons. Even that hasn't yet happened to me, probably 'cause 1) I tend to ride with at least one other rider and 2) I'm 6'2", 245 pounds.

[/QUOTE

Riging with a loaded handgun?
Before you do that, better check the "concealed carry" laws for your state. Here in Illinois, this law is getting close to passing. Then, it's just a matter of getting a "fanny pack" designed for this purpose.

But, um, not really recommended. We were traveling last week and decided to visit an artillery museum on a military base and didn't even think about the fact that my husband had his baretta along until we drove up to the gate. We had to wait a good 40 minutes while they ran a criminal background check on us, checked out FOID cards, and verified the legality of the pistol. Then, we had had to check it in with them until we left the base.
Old 08-29-05, 11:00 AM
sandy_pangle
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one occasion where that happened and it was two Rednecks and one of them was about a 260 pound slob. They got out to kick my tail with a ball bat. It's too bad that no one ever told them about "HALT". Not only does it work on dogs, it works great for rednecks!!! After I maced them both good, I took their ball bat away, threw it in the bushes and proceeded to thump their heads a few times with my fists. I took their car keys from the ignition and deposited them in a ditch about two miles down the road. I guess I taught them to mess with "Spandex Pansies"
Old 08-29-05, 11:11 AM
Pfoot

Bikes: 04 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandy_pangle
I had one occasion where that happened and it was two Rednecks and one of them was about a 260 pound slob. They got out to kick my tail with a ball bat. It's too bad that no one ever told them about "HALT". Not only does it work on dogs, it works great for rednecks!!! After I maced them both good, I took their ball bat away, threw it in the bushes and proceeded to thump their heads a few times with my fists. I took their car keys from the ignition and deposited them in a ditch about two miles down the road. I guess I taught them to mess with "Spandex Pansies"

I call bull**** on this story
Old 08-29-05, 11:15 AM
xSarahx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just spit on their windshield and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.