Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who got a nice labor day ride in today?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who got a nice labor day ride in today?

Old 09-05-05, 05:47 PM
Doid23

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect Labor Day in No. Virginia. Went to our annual Labor Day breakfast party with Wiffle Ball tournament, spent some time with the kids, and then got 42 miles in on the hills off Great Falls. Late afternoon is my favorite time to ride, with the dappled sunlight, great weather, and great landscape. Closed the day with my kids soccer practice. Some guys are coming over tonight after all of the kids are down to watch the football game and have some beers out on the screened in porch. This may be the definition of my perfect day.
Old 09-05-05, 06:03 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a quick sprint in early this morning. My lungs felt the chill but when I warmed up it really felt good. I tell ya, the mornings are made for me. I love them.
Old 09-05-05, 06:05 PM
NJRoadBiker

Bikes: 2005 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a metric century around Hunterdon County in New Jersey. The ride included a beautiful 15 mile segment on Rt. 29 along the Delaware River. The day was gorgeous 75-80, sunny, slight breeze... awesome day, awesome ride!
Old 09-05-05, 06:13 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went back out after my previus post and hasppened upon the kids that tried to hit me, got thier plate and called the police.
Old 09-05-05, 06:16 PM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Rode 68 miles this AM on the local trails on a beautiful sunny day. Started out about 65 and rose to 75 by the end of the ride. Lots of folks out and I did my good deed for the day by loaning my CO2 inflator to a stranded cyclist. Average speed of 18-19 mph. Unfortunately, now am in at work getting ready for a presentation tomorrow. Couldn't resist checking the forums though.
Old 09-05-05, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It was a great day in VA. I went out with Nick Carraway, SpongeDad, and our newest member, Etap, but ummmmm... SpongeDad and Etap quickly took off (with our blessings ) and tore up their ride. Nick and I had a great ride in low humidity, and we especially found a great second wind and trucked down Beach Ave to DC.

Good times today, even though I'm sick a bit .

Koffee

Old 09-05-05, 06:21 PM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slept in until 11:00. Had to run some errands, so left my road bike behind and took out my beater fixie instead. Left at 12:30 and rode all over Arlington, seeing a lot of new places and even finding an elementary school parking lot perfect for practicing fast turns. Didn't get home until 6:00. Then I took my roadie out for a some quick sprints before it got dark. And all this after an awesome race in Delaware yesterday! Now it's time to drink some brews and watch FSU-Miami. Truly a perfect day.
Old 09-05-05, 06:25 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great day in the Bay Area. After taking the day off on Sunday to watch the SFGP, I did an 85 miler today. Rode through Portola Valley, up Old La Honda, out to Pescadero and back via 84 eastbound. Not too windy out by the coast and the fog cleared off out to the ocean. Got dropped by the group before we got back to La Honda but they waited for me at Skylonda and I managed to hang on back to the start point.

Iwas tired but it was a great day for cycling.
Old 09-05-05, 06:35 PM
sandy_pangle
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left out at sun-up and rode 20 miles to a neighboring town. Sat down at McDonalds and had some nice hotcakes and sausage . Then I re-mounted and rode another 26 miles via a ton of rolling hills on the scenic route home. 46 miles, hilly terrain, no flats, only 1 dog, no company, low 60's to mid 70's temps, all time best pace (16.5 mph), beautiful scenery........Does it get any better than this?
Old 09-05-05, 06:49 PM
maalea

Bikes: 2008 Bilenky Travel-Ultralight, 1985 Pro Miyata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got in 28 miles along the Jersey shore with a pretty strong wind. Great day perfect weather. No mechanical problems, no crazy cagers.
Old 09-05-05, 06:51 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could not get up early enough this morning and had to be into work by noon. Tomarrow is my day off so I am going on a nice ride then... If I can get out of the house at a decient time... i.e. before 10 am when it is 94+ degrees.
Old 09-05-05, 07:20 PM
NtenseGSRracer

Bikes: 09' Orbea Orca, 06' Specialized Tarmac Comp, 01' Rocky Mountain Element Race, 99' Gary Fisher Mt. Tam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a nice 50 mile ride. Did the Interurban trail then veered onto the Green River trail.
Old 09-05-05, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by koffee brown
It was a great day in VA. I went out with Nick Carraway, SpongeDad, and our newest member, Etap, but ummmmm... SpongeDad and Etap quickly took off (with our blessings ) and tore up their ride. Nick and I had a great ride in low humidity, and we especially found a great second wind and trucked down Beach Ave to DC.

Good times today, even though I'm sick a bit .

Koffee
Oh.. I forgot. We got in about 61 miles (or at least, I did, since I live farther away from our goodbye point, I think). It was a great day for a ride, yessiree!

Koffee

Old 09-05-05, 07:28 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a nice 65 mile ride in good old flat and windy Toledo.

Toledo is really starting to grow on me.
Old 09-05-05, 07:34 PM
RichmondRider
Just havin' fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. There are a fair number of Virginian's out there.
I agree -- a beautiful day in Richmond. I got out at 6:30 AM (a bit chilly), and rode 70 miles through Goochland, Louisa, Hanover, and back to Henrico county. The only bummer was that September is chip 'n seal time, especially in Goochland -- time to spray the roads with tar, then throw down some gravel. It's a real drag when you find that one of your favorite roads has a bunch of loose gravel on it. --Kills the average speed too. All in all though, quite a nice day.
Old 09-05-05, 07:37 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
52 on Saturday.
33.3 on Monday.

Both country roads, and by myself. No flat this time!

Weather awesome all weekend long in SE Wisconsin.
Old 09-05-05, 07:44 PM
swifferman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 20 mile night ride in/dusk. Went to go look at a trail I've been meaning to tackle but haven't found time to. Would've been pitch black on the way home so I had to hurry back.
Old 09-05-05, 07:47 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got in 70km from my house west to Cochrane and back. Attached is a picture looking west towards the Canadian Rockies with the township of Cochrane below. It was a nice steady climb back up to the top. I had a nice tail wind all the way back home for lunch.

It was a great ride today despite a good head wind. Then again, any day riding instead of working is a good day.

T.J.

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 09-05-05 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 07:53 PM
Wind 'N Snow
What icy wind?

Bikes: Cervélo Dual, old Pinarello Montello & older Miyata Alumicross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to a place I've never been before, about 45 K from home, Belle Plaine. Not much more than a gas station and a bar (toilet!!!!) filled with 70 year-old farmers who have never seen lycra before. That was worth the killer (I'm guessing 15-20 km/r headwind back. The weather was kinda dull, but any day out is worth it.

It was also my first chance to try a different energy gel called Carb Boom. Tastes incredible! Doesn't work. (compared to Enervit that feels like liquid energy pouring down my throat and warming and strengthening every limb!

Fewer yahoos on road today too, but plenty of googles...
Old 09-05-05, 07:54 PM
Pfoot

Bikes: 04 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such a beautiful day here in metro New York. Rode from Piermont down the Palisades and over the GWB to meet some friends on the upper west side and then rode back. About 50 miles today and it all felt great. Lots of smiling cyclists on the road today.
Old 09-05-05, 08:06 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was out a bit late Sunday night...down town Fells Point listening to a good blues band. Gurlfriend spent the night and since it was so cool out we did not bust our arses to get up and get going.

Switched out the 12-26 cassette for a 12-28 on the tandem, filled the bottles, suited up and hit the road at around 9:30 from the house. We went out through Loch Raven reservoir, then out Dance Mill Road and across Manor Road to visit our favorite mule who lives down in the valley on Corbett Road. Unfortunately, 'Mikie' the mule was already in his barn, so we could not feed him his customary carrots.

Nancy need to use the facilities, so we headed north on the NCR trail to the Monkton Station, which has plumbing. There, I bumped into a couple of clubmates on a large group ride who had also stopped to use the plumbing we chatted it up for a while and I asked about their route and they said they were heading up Westley Chapel Road to Troyer. Well, Westley Chapel is a handfull on a single, but somehow I talked Nancy into tagging along. Glad I switched cassettes! Extra 2 teeth came in handy!

After that climb we were beat, so we went our own way and took respite under two huge trees on the side of Troyer Raod. We just lay in the shade looking at birds for a good 15 minutes.

On the way in the discussion turned to food... so we stopped at Frisco Burrito and split a jumbo breakfast burrito....mmmMMMMmmmmm!!!

Just a great day!

Edit: The weather was just unbelievable - clear, mid-70's to low 80's, hardly any breeze, just a few plump, white clouds. Ride was 4 hrs (3.5 hrs saddle time) and about 50 miles.

Last edited by galen_52657; 09-05-05 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 08:08 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
Rode down to Home Depot to snag some Goof Off and clean up the aftermath of a poor attempt at gluing a tubular tire onto a rim. The ride to HD was nice though.

The new generation Tufo glue strips are amazing, btw.
worth a try on your next install.
phillydcbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a flat today. Was planning on a metric century but cut it way short. I didn't have my pump with me so that caused massive problems. After 2 miles of walking the bike, someone with a pump helped me out. Thanks Steve.
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice mellow rides this weekend. Not alot of time: 50, 74, and 50k. The middle ride had a nice coffee stop..double americano. Beautiful cool weather, 18c high (64F) a little windy. Rides two and three with knee and arm warmers! Leaves are just starting to turn as well. Summer's over, but fall riding is always great.
Old 09-05-05, 08:12 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maalea
I got in 28 miles along the Jersey shore with a pretty strong wind. Great day perfect weather. No mechanical problems, no crazy cagers.

I hear that!
61 miles today in that wind. Our route too us 40 miles into the head wind too.
But a good ride and another stop at the roadside produce stand for raw corn.
Carb loading, isn't it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.