Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would you do a century ride in the rain? On a fairly new bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Would you do a century ride in the rain? On a fairly new bike?

Old 04-22-13, 09:53 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 most important question....will there be girls riding?

Old 04-22-13, 09:56 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Maybe if it starts out raining I'll do the 40 mile route or something. Who knows, we'll see what it's like on Saturday.

I've only ridden in the rain a couple of times since I started riding again a year ago, and both of those were on my MTB. I've never been in the rain on anything smaller than 1.5" tires. I have this certain fear about tires sliding out from under me...
Old 04-22-13, 09:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Thoughts? What would you do?
Your new bike and you are water resistant to a depth of one meter.

Two meters, not so much.
Old 04-22-13, 09:59 PM
Biscayne05

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worrying that your bike will get wet is like worrying about White Bar tape: either you shouldn't have bought it or use the hell out of it.
Old 04-22-13, 10:02 PM
Young Version

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
Maybe if it starts out raining I'll do the 40 mile route or something. Who knows, we'll see what it's like on Saturday.

I've only ridden in the rain a couple of times since I started riding again a year ago, and both of those were on my MTB. I've never been in the rain on anything smaller than 1.5" tires. I have this certain fear about tires sliding out from under me...
Stay away from painted lines and manhole covers, and be very careful going over any other smooth metallic surfaces like railroad tracks. Otherwise, just take it a little easier around corners and you'll be fine.
Old 04-22-13, 10:06 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'd like to write an encouraging line about this or that or something, but i'm afraid i'll just be labeled a "facilitator", so...stay at home, wring your hands and write a post about how you feel about it on Sunday.

or better yet, skip the post on Sunday and write Ann Landers, or Phil about it.

ya, ya, harsh...i know.
Old 04-22-13, 10:11 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Define "unpleasant ride."
Constant rain, cold, windy, beyond current fitness level. In short, suffering.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-22-13, 10:15 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

I don't have a problem with being in the rain if it's not cold. I *love* running in the rain during the summer. It was more so the bike I was worried about, since it's still pretty new to me. But if it won't be a problem then I'll probably give it a go. And yes I did almost go down across tracks on my MTB when I had the 1.5" street tires on it. If I hadn't been using platform pedals I probably would have gone down.
Old 04-22-13, 10:17 PM
PatrickGSR94

oh and yes it will take at least 5 hours moving time. It took me 3.5 to do 40 miles, with only 600 feet of climbing. This ride I think is going to be a good bit more hilly, and I'm terrible on hills. I average between 12 and 13 MPH, that's my current fitness level.
Old 04-22-13, 10:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6691 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,193 Posts
Are those averages solo or group ride?

If you're not good on paceline you should probably stay out of them and plan for the 5 hour ride.
Old 04-22-13, 10:23 PM
PatrickGSR94

No I do not do pace lines. Have never done them, not fast enough to even consider joining a pace line ride.

I have ridden many times with groups of other people, but not pace lines.
Old 04-22-13, 10:35 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Young Version View Post
Stay away from painted lines and manhole covers, and be very careful going over any other smooth metallic surfaces like railroad tracks. Otherwise, just take it a little easier around corners and you'll be fine.
This and you may want to take it easy on the decents. Out of paranoia, I tend to (lightly) squeeze a little on the brakes every so often to keep the brake tracks clear of water and grime. I dont know if this is a recommended technique or not but it keeps my speed down too.
Old 04-22-13, 10:38 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I just rode the 47 mile (47 cause I missed a turn marker, doh!) Daffodil Classic here in the PNW. Started out raining on us, changed to mist, hail, sun, more rain and more hail and then just cloudy. I enjoyed every bit of it. My bike was a mess and I had the skunk stripe up my back but it was all worth it. Plus we got strawberry shortcake at the finish line. There were gorgeous brand new road bikes all over and they were all getting wet. I didn't hear one person complaining. Just enjoy the countryside, don't worry about pace and have a great time. It beats mowing the lawn.
Old 04-22-13, 10:39 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
I hate riding in the rain at all. Not sure if I would wuss out or not for a full century. I have a century coming up in 26 days that I'm signed up for. been thinking about if I want to do it if i wake up and its pouring out. Call me a wuss all you want, I simply dont enjoy riding in the rain.
Wuss.
Old 04-22-13, 10:40 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
Constant rain, cold, windy, beyond current fitness level. In short, suffering.
To hurt is human...to suffer is divine.
Old 04-22-13, 10:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

OP, if you decide to ride in the rain then pay particular attention to your rims post-ride. Grime, road grit and assorted other crap gets imbedded on your brake pads so when you apply the brakes it is transferred over to the rim. So make sure you give the pads and rims a good cleaning post ride. You may even end up having to change the pads.

Good luck and ride safely. As a diabetic I truly appreciate people who ride in the AD's TdC. Thank you for riding.
Old 04-22-13, 10:47 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been biting my tongue, but no more. For christ's sake, stop the whining. If you signed up, then do it. Honour your commitments. What are you? Man or mouse?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-22-13, 10:50 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
OP, if you decide to ride in the rain then pay particular attention to your rims post-ride. Grime, road grit and assorted other crap gets imbedded on your brake pads so when you apply the brakes it is transferred over to the rim. So make sure you give the pads and rims a good cleaning post ride. You may even end up having to change the pads.

Good luck and ride safely. As a diabetic I truly appreciate people who ride in the AD's TdC. Thank you for riding.
Old 04-22-13, 11:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
That is exactly what I was talking about. That kind of stuff, embeded on the brake pads, can really do a number on aluminum rims.
Old 04-22-13, 11:17 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by coasting View Post
I've been biting my tongue, but no more. For christ's sake, stop the whining. If you signed up, then do it. Honour your commitments. What are you? Man or mouse?
You are one tough hombre.
Old 04-22-13, 11:19 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You are one tough hombre.
Iron fist in velvet glove.

Thanks for the brake pad warning. I didn't know and I think recent rain ride may have done a number on my pads. Time to inspect tonight.

Old 04-22-13, 11:25 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would wait until the morning of to decide. If it's actually raining, nope, I wouldn't do it. Why bother? Do the route on Sunday or some other ride you want to do. If you already paid, then good for you, you already supported the charity if you care about that.

If you aren't good at climbing you aren't good at descending, so you will be a hazard to yourself and others descending in the rain, and you don't have the right clothes so you'll be uncomfortable. Why put yourself through that? If you will get a lot of happiness from bragging about it later, then go for it I guess, but that's kind of pathetic. No one gives a crap about how hardcore you are because you did a 62 mile ride in the rain.

I have never, ever, understood why one would want to do something that is supposed to be for fun, if it's not going to be fun in the conditions that happen.
Old 04-22-13, 11:31 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
I would wait until the morning of to decide. If it's actually raining, nope, I wouldn't do it. Why bother? Do the route on Sunday or some other ride you want to do. If you already paid, then good for you, you already supported the charity if you care about that.

If you aren't good at climbing you aren't good at descending, so you will be a hazard to yourself and others descending in the rain, and you don't have the right clothes so you'll be uncomfortable. Why put yourself through that? If you will get a lot of happiness from bragging about it later, then go for it I guess, but that's kind of pathetic. No one gives a crap about how hardcore you are because you did a 62 mile ride in the rain.

I have never, ever, understood why one would want to do something that is supposed to be for fun, if it's not going to be fun in the conditions that happen.
Wise words!
Old 04-22-13, 11:32 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not just bragging rights. Strutting rights too.

Old 04-23-13, 12:07 AM
VegasVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, I ride for fun, and 4+ hours of being soaking wet doesn't fit that category. Evidently it does for a lot of other people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.