Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the best cycling related compliment you've ever received?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the best cycling related compliment you've ever received?

Old 08-30-05, 05:12 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"I tried everything I could to drop you, nothing worked... very good!"
Old 08-30-05, 06:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9873 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,417 Posts
"Nice a$$"
Old 08-30-05, 07:22 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"Nice legs."
Old 09-10-05, 06:04 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my best compliment ever today. A woman outside the bike shop, where I had stopped to buy a new tube due to a flat, asked me if I rode for a certain local Div III pro team that she had seen race up at the SFGP! She evidently didn't notice all the gray hair on my head.
Old 09-10-05, 09:27 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My most memorable compliment happened in Canada on a cross country tour.

First we were biking in group of 6. Gilles, experienced canadian guy who was riding from Calgary to Halifax, Nova Scotia and a group of 4 other cyclists, one of which zigzagged India on a solo tour few years ago.

So, since those 4 guys just joined us in Thunder Bay for their ride around Lake Superior, and we had a long way under our belts all the way from the West Coast, we ended up being way ahead of them. One time, after a who day separated, when they finally caught up with us (we actually waited for them at a small town down the road).

They told us the following:

shoot, guys, didn't you hear us screaming in four lungs??? You were climbing on that mountain so fast with you "rigs" (showing the big size of legs) that we couldn't catch you with all the energy and effort we had....

Old 09-12-05, 02:49 PM
sweetharriet
Poseuse.

Bikes: giant ocr3, adapted to triathlon as best it can be. 1976 kia "star" women's "racing" (soon to be a beater commuter bike, it's brown!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
"oooooooh! Is that a new bike? It's so shiny! Cooooooooooool!"

That's what my 5 year old nephew said when he saw my DeRosa.

Koffee

I think that's what I said when I saw your DeRosa.
Old 09-12-05, 02:59 PM
sweetharriet
Poseuse.

Bikes: giant ocr3, adapted to triathlon as best it can be. 1976 kia "star" women's "racing" (soon to be a beater commuter bike, it's brown!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velogirl
Got asked out on a date today on my way home.

"Hey miss! Hey miss, on the bike!"
I turn to a couple of guys hanging out on the corner.
"You gotta boyfriend?"
"Yes" says I.
"You want a dump him? I thought maybe me and you could go on a bike ride."
"You gotta bike?" I ask.
"No" says he
"Then I we can't go on a bike ride." says I

Then the light turned green and I went on my way.

BAAAAAHAHA!!!!! for you, baybee, he'd steal it.
Old 09-12-05, 03:19 PM
sweetharriet
Poseuse.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on my trial ride with group x, a "beginner", no-drop safety, the old-skool ride leader and i have been cruising, and in response to a friend's catching up with us, hearing my want-to-find-a-good-bike-club spiel, and making a suggestion: "what?! she can't ride with [other group]!" *snorts, looks at me* "flower-sniffing rides"

30 miles after that, "meet us on Sunday, i think you'll like it"

Sunday's ride was billed as training for racers only.
Old 09-12-05, 03:56 PM
Xtrmyorick

Bikes: Torelli Titanio with full Chorus and Eurus wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who really likes my draft (as most people do... I'm a big guy) and always used to ride behind me. She had a really busy couple of months where we didn't ride together and I dropped 20 pounds or so. Next time we rode together, she got in my draft, then yelled "Woah!! That is NOT your ass. It's too skinny!"
Old 09-12-05, 04:02 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last Friday on the ride home...

I was stopped at a light, and a guy I know who's a Cat 3 racer pulled up next to me and said, "Whew. Didn't think I was going to catch you."
Old 09-12-05, 06:33 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met a beautiful woman a couple of months ago who likes to ride as much as I do. Last weekend she was my support crew for a race I entered on Saturday (the Mt. Shasta Hill Climb - 14 miles with 4100 feet climbing ). On Sunday, we both participated in the 72 mile ride around Lake Tahoe (and nearly froze to death in the first few miles because the temperature at the start was 20 degrees ).

I asked her if my riding would ever come between us, and she said, "You can ride as much as you want...just save the last mile for me."

I'm a very lucky man, and very much in .

Last edited by SSP; 09-13-05 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 05:19 PM
rimugu

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best compliment was from a guy in a four wheel motorcycle in the middle of nowhere. I convinced my brother in law to explore and see if we could get to a town to another in Mexico (where I come from) even if the maps didnít show a trail to connecting them

Almost at the end of the ride this guy passes and says "you are awesome" (well in fact, he said "estas cabron", but I think he said that as a compliment).

We found him at the end of the ride, it seems it was a common place for off road motorcycles, but we impress him doing a ride on those trail in a bicycle (40kms one way, plus another 40 to return).
Old 09-14-05, 08:03 AM
MadScientist
singletrackmamma

Bikes: 1992 trek 2300 carbon frame, 2001 cannondale jekyl 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won the State Championship and three guys asked me out later that day.

hmmm' pick and choose. Nah, too much riding to doo! Ride on for the love!
Old 09-15-05, 08:58 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
"Nice Legs" several times from females. Including one very cute co-worker who saw me out riding one weekend.

"If my heart rate ever got as high as yours, my heart would come flying out of my chest and pass you!... You must be in really good shape!" A fellow club rider who overheard me and another rider talking about our heart rates at the top of a fairly steep climb. (It was 182... my max is 190)

That's a sweet bike. (Another rider commenting on "my baby" 04 Trek 5200 team bike.)

"You are a machine." I'm far from it,... but friends think I am beacuse I can ride 100 miles in under 6 hrs and usually average 200 miles a week or better on my bicycle.

And definately the best one:

"We really appreciate your efforts. Thanks." The National Multiple Sclerosis Society after I finished a two day 150 tour ride with some hellish hills on day two this Summer. I heard we raised over $100,000.00 from that event. That was definately the best compliment so far!
Old 09-15-05, 09:27 PM
dfpacheco
Soldier of Rome

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding the rural roads of Northern Collin County, Texas one day when I happened behind some guys in a peloton with Martin-Lockheed kit. Very dapper - I felt a little inferior style-wise, but couldn't do anything about it, so I sloughed it off. So I wheel-sucked for a couple of miles and then put on some gas, just to see what they might do. Once I pulled in front, I knew by the unwritten rule that I'd probably be on my own, they'd slow and that would be the end of that. As soon as I pulled out in front, I could tell I had them on my wheel - so now what to do? A little more gas (no wind that day) and they hung on. When we came to an intersection where we were forced to stop, they introduced themselves with loud, unabashed pants! I am thinking - "what's wrong with this picture." These guys obviously race and I figured they could smoke me, at will. Then one of them asked if they could stick with me back to town! His friend was like "yeah, dude, you rock"!

We pace-lined the rest of the way knocking on the 30 mph door!

That was cool.
Old 09-17-05, 07:53 PM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While stopped on a corner waiting for the light to turn and dressed in my latest Fathers Day present a big Mercedes pulled up with two men in the front and two women in the back.. One of the ladies put down the window and said..
"Nice shirt" "Where did you get a shirt like that".. "Wine, Macroni, Wow nice shirt.."

I still cant figure out whether I was being razzed or not..
Old 09-17-05, 08:41 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by el twe
Seriously. Being pretty much a newbie to cycling, to have my LBS wrench tell me that he loves my bike and is impressed with the dedication I've put into re-doing her was great. Really made me feel good about what I had (I was in one of those "my bike sucks cuz it's not this, or it doesn't have that" moods at the time). So, let's here 'em!
A woman once shouted at me, "NICE ASS, WHOLE!", I had never before had a woman say that my whole ass was nice, but that seemed like a good compliment and I felt good about myself the rest of the day.
Old 09-18-05, 01:32 AM
andrew young

Bikes: Trek road bike, schwinn fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebuddha
Once when commuting home I was riding up a hill in the pouring rain when a guy with a bike rack passed me and pumped his fist a couple times in the air. He could have been saying get off the road but I like to think he was saying "yeah you're hardcore."
Hey, do you know Scott Burns?
Old 09-18-05, 09:39 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I'm still holding out for (what I think would be a good compliment),

"Thanks for keeping our roads safe, clean, and clear of congestion!"

but I think the best compliment would have to be, "You're in great shape!" from my doctor because, if you don't have you're health, you're in a pretty bad situation.
Old 09-23-05, 12:42 PM
BIGPAKO
Cadence Schmadence!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"What the F@#* did you have for breakfast bro!" while I was being passed after haven "broken wind"
Old 09-23-05, 05:58 PM
Cranks
Bent

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX S 6, 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+, 199? Trek 930 Singletrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
At the red light, I was waiting for the light to turn. There was this old man about 80 years old walking across the street towards me. He stepped on the curb turned to me pointing at the other way, saying "A police man's waiting with a radar gun ahead." I didn't say a thing. I just look at him and grinned.
Old guys with wit are just the best.
Old 09-23-05, 07:18 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"We had a good coach"
- My GF replying to a compliment she and her son received when they completed their first century this year.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-25-05, 05:28 PM
FLsanshou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
Yah same here, my friends try to make fun of me ALL THE TIME. It annoys the hell out of me, one of my friends said "How do you get tired from that, I went 6 miles and didnt get tired" I said"now try going 30 plus miles, and every couple or minutes or so sprint at about 25+ MPH! then well see if you got tired" No answer, the convo changed pretty quickly
My friends said the same thing when I first started cycling. But once I started to go farther faster they started to say things like "damn thats pretty good" and "wow, thats pretty far".
Old 09-25-05, 06:08 PM
Hhowdy
I survived lotoja

Bikes: Kona Dawg-Deelux, Raliegh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,
Let me see your biker butt (from my wife)
And
Your a spunky old fart (at the top of a 3000ft climb, from a guy in his mid 20's that I stayed with)
And
"When I couldn't drop you I thought I"d talk to you" (from a guy that tryed to get rid of me for a couple of miles then started a conversation)

M.R.
Old 09-25-05, 11:41 PM
gauk

Bikes: Giant Sedona LX + Xtracycle and modifications.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my to-work commute at 5pm one day I spotted another bicyclist on Wilkens Ave, and didn't realize he was catching up to me (uphill) 'till the next light. I moved over to give him some room, started chatting and he got ahead of me downhill on Haverhill Rd, so I pushed it on the uphill and rode by - he said, "Where do you WORK?"
UPS, baby, 5k calories/day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.