Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has cycling got you in trouble with your wife/husband?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has cycling got you in trouble with your wife/husband?

Old 10-24-05, 10:26 PM
Ineedhelp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. The Wall? No, but once we had quite the dispute over the subject of "U locks", and now everytime we start any type of cycling argument, it dissolves promptly in hysterical laughter with the mere mention of U locks. (No, you don't want to know...)

2. Jealousy? Can't relate because, my husband's a little, well, he's got this weird sense of humor. To try to explain, the other day we were shopping and the cute young clerk in the very low cut blouse said to him, "Boy, you must really like fishing!" He looked down at his shirt, which just happened to have lots of little fishes on it and said to her, "Honey, this shirt doesn't make me a fisherman anymore than that shirt you're wearing makes you a prostitute!"

I was, of course, appalled and immediately turned to him and admonished him, telling him that wasn't very nice, after all, how did he know she WASN'T a prostitute, and that maybe working at the store was just her day job?

We went on pretend arguing this issue at some length. Oh, the clerk caught on quickly, joined in, and gave it right back. Don't think the other customers caught the joke though...
Old 10-24-05, 11:27 PM
mathmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, funniest story I've read on the forums here today!
Old 10-25-05, 12:27 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just made sure to date a bike-racer, so no problems with my cycling...
Old 10-25-05, 05:08 PM
russdaz
Extreme nutter

Bikes: Scott AFD expert, with some carbon upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting
this comment is useless without pics.....
hmm not the best but about the only one suitible for public display.
schedule, not looks.
Old 10-25-05, 08:57 PM
2372ighost
118AHC "Thunderbirds"

Bikes: Numerous (wife says to many)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started road biking this year twice a week, the wife started making little squeeky sounds, so i bought Hybrids for us both to make family rides.

I still do more serious rides on my road bike with the club. hopfully she will continue progressing with me.
Old 10-25-05, 10:52 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I recently realized that cycling has been at the root of most of my disagreements with my spouse and am interested to know if you folks have experienced the same. I will share two stories:

1: I call this one my "the wall" speech. I accompanied my wife on her first major mountain bike ride (20 miles; 10 out and 10 back). We were in phoenix, the temp. was 105 degrees and when we hit 15 miles she just kind of stopped and wanted to die in the desert instead of getting back on the bike. Because I thought that was a very real possibility, I dug up an old speech my track coach used to give me. I stupidly told her that she had hit "the wall", the point that seperates the athlete from the recreational rider and that she was lucky to have hit that point because most people never push themselves that hard. She made it clear to me that she did not feel lucky and just what I could do with my "motivational" speech. She has never let me live that down.

2: I was riding with a buddy at South Mountain in Phoenix when I noticed a hot girl riding toward us. Because I am happily married, I notified my buddy of what was coming so he would not miss out (I am a giver that way). Boy was I surprised when, as she came closer, I realized she was my WIFE!! That was not so bad except that later on I made the mistake of telling her how we were checking her out (I thought it would make her happy). That prompted a lengthy discussion about whether or not it was appropriate for me to check out other women I see on the trails/roads.

Anyone else have similar stories?
LMAO!!! Your wife, eh? Did you tell her this story?

The two ways that I get into trouble is if I ride off and she feels left to ride by her self. I make sure that if I have the need for speed, that some one is riding with her. She is a strong steady rider but does not like to hammer at over 20 mph. I also get into trouble if I am gone for many more hours that I say I will be gone. As she put it, "I don't know if you are splattered on the road some where or not." I carry my cell phone now and when I am going to make a ride longer by hours, I call.
Old 10-25-05, 10:57 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffer
My wife is a non-cyclist who regularly works 80-hour weeks, hates to sweat, and is so tight she squeaks when she walks. Maybe that last part is just her new shoes... Her 7 year-old bike has about 10 miles on it, but I always keep it clean, adjusted, lubed and aired-up so it will be ready if she changes her priorities some day.

Of course, every dime and every minute I spend on cycling (or any other hobby) is a point of contention with her.

However, I think she appreciates the lost weight, lower blood pressure, and the fitness that I've gained from cycling. Somewhere. Down deep. Way, way down there.

All of that helps explain why I need and love to ride as much as I do.
Sounds like you have a bike widdow there! If she doesn't like to get hot and "dewy" on a bike, can't understand why you spend so much $ and time on your bike, and makes you feel challenged by your love of cycling, AND you support her interests and hobbies, you two might want to find a sport that you both enjoy doing together. If not, it's time for a serious discussion.
Old 10-26-05, 08:19 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinstee
I introduced my wife to biking, well reintroduced, to include her in my passion. She loves to push herself and has improved alot, but she still hasn't gotten "up to speed" (pardon the pun) to ride with my regular hammerfest and solo rides. This causes a bit of an exclusion dilema for her. I tend, but really try hard not to, feel resentful that I have to consider her schedule when wanting to ride. But that is just part of life. So yes, there has been trouble of sorts due to biking between my spouse and myself.

I have the same problem, though I wouldn't call my riding a "hammerfest". I solved it in part by riding my mtb. when we hit the country roads. I'm still not really exerting myself but I'm not constantly leaving her behind. I hope to upgrade her to a better bike this Christmas or spring.

I do all of my road biking solo so I have to make sure if I want to ride that all my chores are done first.
Old 10-26-05, 08:21 AM
egonlou

Bikes: Specialized Roubeaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I run into problems is tell her that I need to bring the bike into the bike shop.
Old 10-26-05, 09:30 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my wife into biking 6 years ago when we first started dating. At the time, she thought road biking was silly and would give me a bit of grief when I would disappear for hours at a time 3-4 days a week. She bought a mtn bike and came on a few dirt rides, but would give me grief for:
- riding behind her [it's a good view, what can I say?]
- riding too far ahead
- riding too fast
- poking her in the ass with a sharpened stick so she would climb the hills faster
on every ride. I couldn't win! Then she wanted to ride her mtn bike on my road rides, so we found her a road bike. She was instantly hooked. She picked up a Lemond Alpe d'Huez and routinely tries to outsprint me. Now she only complains when I buy new bikes without selling the old ones. "But honey, I need three singlespeeds! This one's for snow, this one's for regular commuting and this one's for road rides..."
Old 10-26-05, 09:45 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1, wife is now a convert to cycling.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-26-05, 09:55 AM
DamnRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I get into spats over cycling all the time... the thing with us is just that she is so damn slow... and won't take any advice on how to get faster... she's not 17mph slow...she's 12mph slow... but still loves riding. She just wants to progress at whatever pace she feels like progressing. She doens't want any advice from me... but I guarantee if one of my friends gives her advice she'll take it... just not me cause I'm me and she resents me for being good at so many things. I wouldnt' care about her speed fi she were 15mph fast... then it wouldn't be so hard for me to take a slow ride with her on occasion... but 12mph is just too damn slow for me to have any fun whatsoever.

She wants to get faster, wants to go farther... but she doesn't want me to help her to do it... and she doesn't want to ride with anyone else... she just wants to ride by herself, she has more fun that way (although I can't believe that argument as she has never done a group ride, so what basis does she have to compare against?) and she SAYS she doesn't care if I ride with her but I still get the guilt trip when I head out to do group rides with my friends.

I get irritated a lot because the ladies in my group rides are always asking why she doesn't come along... half the time she's dropping me off at the starting point and driving herself to a different place to do laps... I just have to tell them that she's just TOO slow to ride in any group... and she doesn't try hard at all to become faster...

When I tell her my friends want to ride with her and if she got just a few mph faster (over 30 miles or so) to where she could average 15mph by herself... then she could keep up in a slow group ride making use of the draft, etc... she just gets defensive about not caring to ride in a group and not wanting to be lance armstrong... well... there are a lot of people between her and lance armstrong damn it.

Can u tell I get irritated with her? The most irritating thing is when I do my warmup and ride with her for a bit... I give her advice on the obvious things she does that are going to affect her in longer rides... she rides with her toes a lot... or pedals really slowly (like 40 or 50rpm) so I tell her to try to keep hre feet level or to try a cadence in the 60 or 70 range just for a bit and see hwo she likes it... her response is almost always defensive... then "Just let me ride how I want to ride" but with that annoying tone of voice that only a wife can use. I would, if she didn't give me guilt trips when i do my own rides... when the guilt trip starts is when I am obligated to help her ride faster... or I could just sell her bike! I don't care if she gets any faster than 15 or 16mph... that's the point where she could do rec group rides w/o annoyingly slowing the group down... I've just gotta find a way to get her to take a little advice and try some new things or else she's gonna drive me crazy.

Oh well. I prolly make it sound worse than it is. She seems to take a little more advice when I put her on the trainer and act like I'm helping her get her bike fit better.

Rock
Old 10-26-05, 10:03 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
The only time I ever got into trouble was right after we got married. I was still in single guy mode and a buddy called to go for a ride. I said "sure!" grabbed my bike and headed out the door. About halfway out, my wife asked me where I'm going.

Whoops! I forgot there was someone else living here!

She will probably never let me forget that one.

She doesn't give me any crap about my riding, although I don't spend a lot of money on goofy crap. If I need something, I buy something that I will use for a long time. Fancy clothes and shiny parts are not required for me to ride.

Az
Old 10-26-05, 10:07 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rock,

I had similiar problem when I first got the wife into riding, She would listen
to anyone but me. The thing that helped were these, I stopped caring that
we ride achingly slow at times, looked at it as a recovery ride major improvement
on both our parts.
I also got my wife involved in some group rides ( C group 12 - 15 mph) and she
began to pick up her pace when the group did.

Sounds like your wife is picking up on your frustration and giving it right back.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-26-05, 03:58 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also answer to no one... this is one of those times I'm glad I'm single.

It's funny though.. i had one of those ooops! Moments. I was heading home from a ride and saw this guy heading in the opposite direction. I thought, "gee, who IS that fit-looking guy?" I get closer and it's someone I know pretty well. Good thing he didn't know what I was thinking, lol. And he's married, so there you go. But he is pretty fit.