Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

POLL: Do you use a rear-view mirror?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: rear-view mirror?
yes
45.26%
no
54.74%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Do you use a rear-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 09:30 AM
LA_Rider

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirror facts:

1) A lot of people think they’re useful.

2) A lot of people will think you’re a dork for using one.

Last edited by LA_Rider; 10-25-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 10:01 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3) People from #1 don't really care about #2 . . .
Old 10-25-05, 02:37 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
Beginner cyclists don't use mirrors. That's why the number in the poll is high. It's not often that first thing come to one's mind is a mirror when he or she gets his first bike.

It's not only a safety issue. Often I find a car behind me driving slowly, wait for me to clear its way before it makes right turn. In that situation, you won't know it's there from the sound. I can tell it's there in my mirror, so I speed up and try to clear the way for him and at the same time, I show a sign that thanking him for the patience.

If you demand to "Share the road", you should show that you are willing to share the road on your part. It can be done much easier if you have a mirror.

Sorry to differ with you here... 42% of the respondence to THIS pole use a mirror. On the road, you'll see only a handful and the majority of those on commuter bikes which makes sense when riding in all weather, dark, etc...conditions. In terms of recreational road riding and training, few use mirrors.
Use a mirror if you want or if it makes you feel safer, but only beginner's don't use mirrors? Not true. People who are concerned with higher degrees of risk mitigation use them. That's not a criticism, just an observation. Most riders don't find them necessary.
Old 10-25-05, 02:52 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
Most riders don't find them necessary.
I would bet that most riders have not even tried them.
Old 10-25-05, 06:11 PM
FLsanshou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride with one, don't really feel like I need to ride with one.
Old 10-25-05, 10:39 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have used one since about 1977 or so. Way back then the Ed's Mirror was the best out there. Some even came with a roach clip for attaching it to your glasses, so considering that you had a little mirror and a roach clip, it was a great piece of recreational equipment to have! Seriously, the Take A Look mirror available today is a good one and I used it almost all of the time up until about a year ago when I moved to Utah where there just aren't as many cars on the road and I found that I just didn't need it as much. I still pull it out for riding on busy roads or for commuting when there is more noise on the road and it's more difficult to hear behind you.
Old 10-25-05, 11:00 PM
mnutini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fit into the "Don't use one but don't have anything against those who do" group.

I was thinking about mirrors the other day. I saw a guy on rollerblades with a mirror attached to his hand.

Most of my riding is along roads with few parked cars and light to moderate traffic. I could see me using one if I was on a major roadway. Most of the time I can get away with using the Bruce Willis "Fifth Element" glance - two on the left, three on the right.
Old 10-25-05, 11:13 PM
Boise_Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R900
I use this little drop mirror, not as large as some others, but keeps you looking forward and looks about a good as a mirror can.

John

I use the same thing. It's inconspicuous and works great. I like to ride up the mountain to Bogus Basin ski lodge about once a week in the summers. The ride down is very fast and winding and I use all of the lane on some of the tight turns. The mirror comes in handy to check my rear so I don't have to look back at high speeds. It has even saved my azz once on the flat valley roads when a dump truck was coming up fast and not making any attempt to leave me room. I quickly pulled off the road and the guy nearly blew me over as he passed. I figured that one incident paid for the mirror.

Last edited by Boise_Pedaler; 10-25-05 at 11:34 PM.