Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Love It or List It SUCKS !!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 01-19-15, 11:58 AM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts

Love It or List It:entertaining, but aggravating.

David virtually always goes over budget and/or out of the specified neighborhood,
but Hillary is almost never given an increase to her budget.
She gets stuck repairing things that the homeowners might have to fix in order to sell their properties,
and that always upsets the naysayer of the subject duo.
And, Hillary always gives a higher return on investment (even though she spends major $$$ to correct deficiencies not apparent in the original appraisal of the house,) facilitating the purchase of David's out-of-budget home.
Plus, closing/moving expenses are never taken into consideration, further skewing the decision.

Another annoying aspect is the scripted nature of the show: Hillary always finds structural/safety issues to correct, hence she never completely fulfills the customer's want list; and David's properties are edited into a progression in which the subjects (or at least the one who wants to stay in the existing home) hate the early ones, but magically love the final one. So predictable.

And, of course, in this show (as well as the US counterpart: Love It or List It,Too) the women designers are attractive, while the real estate salesman are obnoxious and sometimes downright effeminate! Makes you pull for the women automatically!

Even tho it sucks, I still watch Love It or List It, just in the hopes that Hillary will win, and leave David whining........
Old 01-19-15, 12:39 PM
bikebuddha 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Love it or List it too is also a Canadian production set in BC. My loves the show I find it only slightly less annoying the property brothers.
Old 01-19-15, 12:47 PM
Ronno6

The PB's seem to stay on budget, but they only seem to redo the living areas.....seldom do you see a bedroom or bathroom reno.
So, I picture the homeowners having a super modern living room/dining room/kitchen area, then stepping into bed rooms/baths that are
completely outdated..........
I like Chip and Joanna. (Way better than Taurek and Christina, tho they do nice renos on Cal properties.)
Old 01-19-15, 12:51 PM
GP 

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like Hillary.
Old 01-19-15, 12:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 621 Posts
I like HGTV because it's mindless and anodyne; I can turn it on for noise and ignore it and when I come back to it the same moderately entertaining thing is happening that was when I left, even though it's three hours later and a different show.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-19-15, 01:01 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
With every show on that network you can watch the first and last five minutes and see 99% of the value of the show. I'm not sure that there is really that much drama in fixing up the house...actually, I'm sure of it.
Between the drama and the re-runs, that is a very low value network for viewers.
Old 01-19-15, 01:05 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite one is Rehab Addict. I Nicole seems to try to keep the homes fairly original, which appeals to me. That she looks good doesn't hurt either.
Old 01-19-15, 01:13 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard from someone who knows someone(yea, right!) that House Hunters, Love It or List It, Prop. Bros. are all a sham anyway. On House Hunters the people have already bought the house and they stage them looking at others. Same deal on the other shows. The outcome was known before shooting began! That's why the owners have the roles they play. They are a little too canned and predictable to be real.

I still enjoy seeing the actual reno work. I have a crush on Hilary and Nicole anyway! I have done a lot on my older house and built a new garage and enjoy seeing how different things are done.
Old 01-19-15, 04:02 PM
Ronno6

Originally Posted by otg View Post
My favorite one is Rehab Addict. I Nicole seems to try to keep the homes fairly original, which appeals to me. That she looks good doesn't hurt either.
+1

I enjoy watching what she does to restore thole older homes.
And, as you said, she DOES clean up nice!!
I would like to know more about the financial aspects of her redo's.
It would be interesting to know more about how much she paid for the houses,
how much she spent rehabbing them, and how much she sold them for.
I know she bought one house for $1.00, and her current Tudor was in the $62K range.
She must make money at it...........
Old 01-19-15, 04:48 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin View Post
I heard from someone who knows someone(yea, right!) that House Hunters, Love It or List It, Prop. Bros. are all a sham anyway. On House Hunters the people have already bought the house and they stage them looking at others. Same deal on the other shows. The outcome was known before shooting began! That's why the owners have the roles they play. They are a little too canned and predictable to be real.
I always thought that this had to be true. The couples on these shows were just a little too predictable.
Old 01-20-15, 08:11 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 135 Posts
The only rehab/property show I really like is Renovation Realities on DIY Network. It will convince you never to attempt a remodel project on your own.
Old 01-20-15, 08:47 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9891 Post(s)
Liked 2,076 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
Love It or List It:entertaining, but aggravating.

David virtually always goes over budget and/or out of the specified neighborhood,
but Hillary is almost never given an increase to her budget.
She gets stuck repairing things that the homeowners might have to fix in order to sell their properties,
and that always upsets the naysayer of the subject duo.
And, Hillary always gives a higher return on investment (even though she spends major $$$ to correct deficiencies not apparent in the original appraisal of the house,) facilitating the purchase of David's out-of-budget home.
Plus, closing/moving expenses are never taken into consideration, further skewing the decision.

Another annoying aspect is the scripted nature of the show: Hillary always finds structural/safety issues to correct, hence she never completely fulfills the customer's want list; and David's properties are edited into a progression in which the subjects (or at least the one who wants to stay in the existing home) hate the early ones, but magically love the final one. So predictable.

And, of course, in this show (as well as the US counterpart: Love It or List It,Too) the women designers are attractive, while the real estate salesman are obnoxious and sometimes downright effeminate! Makes you pull for the women automatically!

Even tho it sucks, I still watch Love It or List It, just in the hopes that Hillary will win, and leave David whining........
Hillary does win from time to time. Quite often the reason the existing home is so desired is that it exists in some certain area in which David has little chance of equating... David fights back with space and features, Hillary has "location location location."

The only reason I watch is to see the the transformation of the space into something new.

We ourselves did that with a 1953 home that was a jumble of dark small spaces... it is now a nice modern open design. Move a few walls and update some fixtures and bingo. BTW we still have old drains...
Old 01-20-15, 11:09 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Isn't Love It Or List It fake? Like, the houses they look at aren't even for sale and they don't move into the one they finally say they want?
Old 01-20-15, 11:13 AM
Ronno6

I have not heard that, but would not be a surprise.
They should dedicate at least the last minute of every show to give a final synopsis on how the deal worked out, with final/total
expenses, moving costs, etc.
Having just moved myself, I know that it ain't cheap, and former housed do not always sell quickly.
But, that would put too much reality into the show.
These shows are not intended as"reality TV" anyway, are they??