Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

the oscars

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

the oscars

Old 02-22-15, 10:38 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
the oscars

So far my favorite part Was Lady gaga I love metal but also love her
Old 02-23-15, 11:39 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So back in the day I used to love the Oscars... now, not so much. I watched but found myself flipping back and forth between other channels. Lady Gaga, always a good performer. I liked all the musical numbers - the Tim McGraw's number made me cry (my father died of Alzheimers). I could care less about the actors winning this or that but some of the speeches were sweet and geniune. It's really sad that the fashion is the most important part of the night... BTW of the movies, have not seen a one... never even heard of Whiplash...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-23-15, 11:45 AM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 244 Posts
Every other week there's one of those awards shows on eating up space. Every other week I keep surfing for something interesting to watch while on the bike trainer.
Old 02-23-15, 01:11 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't watch the Oscars. Didn't see a single movie that won anything. Don't really care about a bunch of over-paid, self-important people who get paid to pretend to be something else. I get tired of these people giving speeches as if what they do really makes a difference. Then they try to throw in their political BS...I quit watching these celebrity award shows a long time ago.
Old 02-23-15, 01:38 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
It's really sad that the fashion is the most important part of the night... BTW of the movies, have not seen a one... never even heard of Whiplash...
My wife's really into movies, so we watch the Oscars. Two comments for you....

First, the fashion stopped being such a big deal, I made a comment to my wife that I didn't hear the hateful "who are you wearing?" question once (made me happy). She let me know that the actors were fed up with it being about clothing and not the movies/actors.

Second, there were three movies that were nominated and won a ton of Oscars that are great (recommended watching): Boyhood, Birdman, and The Grand Budapest Hotel (my favorite movie in years).

Third (okay, I said two, but ...), Neil Patrick Harris as host got very old, very fast.

I don't blame anybody for skipping the televised awards, it's almost better to just read the results the next morning, add the winning movies to your Netflix queue (or don't), done.
Old 02-23-15, 02:06 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
I have liked other Wes Anderson movies. And I liked Birdman, which my wife didn't. My wife saw but didn't like Grand Budapest Hotel so now I figure I need to time it so I can watch it when she's doing something else.
Old 02-23-15, 02:34 PM
bikebuddha 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who could watch the Oscars when the Hallmark channel was playing the Hart to Hart movie?
Old 02-23-15, 03:29 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I work for a theater that's playing Birdman. I was interested in finding out if there would be a bump in the number of people seeing it now. But as I left work today, snow was coming down and Little Rock was at a standstill. So I doubt that there will be an immediate affect.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-23-15, 03:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
parts of the intro number was good and yeah who knew ladywutzhername could sing like that. good tribute tho
Old 02-23-15, 04:05 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Hypno Toad;17578661]Third (okay, I said two, but ...), Neil Patrick Harris as host got very old, very fast.

QUOTE]

This... more than anything turned me off. He is talented and can sing and dance and he is witty but his wit is totally off color... starting with his first joke about everyone being white... I cringed everytime he was on...

I like movie too but don't go to theaters anymore... can't stay to be around jerks and idiots... so have to wait until the films come out on netflix or ondemand. Not certain if I will watch Birdman... just the outtakes annoy me. But will see the Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood.

I did flip around before the Oscars and did hear the dreaded "who are you wearing" question... if the actors are angry about this question why do they spend so much time and money on jewelry and couture... anyway, its all so superficial and silly and political... gosh all the political messages turned me off. Like actors really have a clue... equal rights for women... I suspect Ms. Arquette makes far in excess of most women or men...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-23-15, 04:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
Basic Cable .. Watched One flew Over the Cocoo's nest, again, Instead ..
Old 02-23-15, 04:31 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 56 Posts
Spent the night reading --- who wants to watch a bunch of pretenders give themselves awards?
Old 02-23-15, 04:37 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 375 Posts
We recently watched the Oscar nominated shorts at a local Indy theater, so I was interested to see which of those won. But I mostly read while my wife watched. Both winning shorts were quite good IMO.
Old 02-23-15, 09:14 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I also saw all the nominated shorts, all were good and I agree with winners, except animation. I thought the animated short winner was the worst of the bunch.
American Sniper won for sound editing, that's about right.