Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heartless Motorist!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Heartless Motorist!

Old 10-31-05, 11:41 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did good by saving the pigeon.

Earlier this season, I stopped 6 cars while I helped a very determined California King Snake to get across the road. Fortunately, I live in a small town, and nobody seemed too upset by the momentary interruption in the traffic flow.

Last edited by SSP; 11-01-05 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 08:09 AM
va_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turtles > pigeons
Old 11-01-05, 09:55 AM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's quite natural, but foolish, to assume that one life form is "greater than" another, or to deny that all living beings are connected.

Of course, it is turtles; it's turtles all the way down....

Last edited by budster; 11-01-05 at 09:56 AM. Reason: forgot to smile when I said that
Old 11-05-05, 09:28 AM
ChroMo2

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Moab2 cross-country racing, highly modified, rebuilt many, many times. very fast!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rOOster14
or think of it this way. cars will swerve to miss a pidgeon but actually attempt to scrape cyclists.
I guess that's what people really think of each other. probably because they have a higher intelligence level than an animal. and they feel that their inferiority is at stake. they think if they help a dumb animal that it makes them feel like a higher power. it's all based on greed.
Old 11-05-05, 09:40 AM
FLsanshou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up
Old 11-05-05, 10:26 AM
macintheus
It's about the ride.

Bikes: Trek 7500fx Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disclaimer: the following rant coming from a man who recently ran out onto a dance floor to save a large disoriented spider from being squashed by the dancers.

I find it interesting that so many people can be so thoughtful of animals/creatures, yet so judgmental of other humans. Some of those people in those "cages" may have had very good reasons for not wanting to be stopped. To classify everyone who drives a car as an a$$hole, or the like, is ridiculous.

And who knows, maybe if that pidgeon could have talked he might have said "p1ss off and leave me alone, I just broke up with another bird (couldn't resist) and I'm trying to end it all", or maybe you saved the Adolf Hitler of pidgeons, or maybe it had umm feather cancer and was in horrific pain and now continues to be.

I guess the point is, way to go for doing what you thought to be the right thing, but don't condemn all others for their lack of understanding your motives.
Old 11-05-05, 11:19 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
A friend of mine moved to Oregon several years back and one day his daughter brought an injured bird to him begging him to help. He called the local Audubon Society who, after he described the bird, said they couldn't take it because it was not a native species. In his best TX accent he asked "Are they good eatin'?". They took the bird.
Old 11-11-05, 01:10 PM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget about the pigeons, who's going to save the little boy????

Old 11-11-05, 01:24 PM
BIGPAKO
Cadence Schmadence!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by budster
You did a very good thing.

Most people are too numb to feel empathy for other humans, much less their fellow creatures. I believe car culture contributes a lot to that numbness.

Good for you.

Painfully true. About a year ago my dog (Hewson the beagle) was bitten by a rattle snake, I had to carry him and run several miles until I ran into a Forest Ranger who drove me to the nearest pet hospital.... long story short I/we saved his life, but the bill was for $1,000 but I didn't care 'cause he's my buddy. When I told the story at work, my boss, who BTW is an ex-military-macho-full of testosterone-dick weed, seriously said he would've let him die rather than pay $1,000 and he meant it, and mind you, he has pets of his own.

Totally unrelated to cycling, but there you have it.
Old 11-11-05, 03:53 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGPAKO
Painfully true. About a year ago my dog (Hewson the beagle) was bitten by a rattle snake, I had to carry him and run several miles until I ran into a Forest Ranger who drove me to the nearest pet hospital.... long story short I/we saved his life, but the bill was for $1,000 but I didn't care 'cause he's my buddy. When I told the story at work, my boss, who BTW is an ex-military-macho-full of testosterone-dick weed, seriously said he would've let him die rather than pay $1,000 and he meant it, and mind you, he has pets of his own.

Totally unrelated to cycling, but there you have it.
I'm a ex-military-macho-full of testosterone-dick weed, but I woulda saved the pigeon too. Leaving a critter, no matter what kind it is, to suffer and die, alone, then leaving it to rot like so much garbage is just plain wrong. People on the other hand...
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-11-05, 04:02 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the most traumatic things I have ever seen while riding was about four young guys in a car that intentionally swerved over into the oncoming traffic lane to slame into a goose on purpose.

I was riding just back from the car and saw it all happen.
I heard he thud...
I saw the goose flutter its wings as it skidded on the road...
then it was just dead.

To this day I regret not getting a license plate number, but i was in shock at what I just saw happen right in front of me.

Now..if anything looks funky, I have trained myself to remind myself....PLATE PLATE PLATE....get a plate number right away.