Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

i guess i pissed him off

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

i guess i pissed him off

Old 11-08-05, 01:54 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 yards is worthless if your trying to get a draft or pull going...
I usually get kinda close if I really badly need a draft.

I suck at pulling and I dont know when to step it up or slow down, I guess I can pull people that usually ride like 18mph but most people ride at my speed so me pulling them is kind of a waste. Especially some people who I probably slow down by going 20-22 lol
Old 11-08-05, 06:53 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This issue comes up more than fly vomit.
Old 11-08-05, 10:33 AM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That other guy overreacted. It's his problem.
Old 11-08-05, 10:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
You don't just ride up behind someone and sit there without saying anything. That's a big violation of cycling etiquette. If you're going to sit back there, at least let him know you're there. Say you pull up behind someone and it's a windy day or that person has bad hearing or something and doesn't know you're there. Bad things could happen in a situation like that.

You say you were far behind him and not drafting, but how is he to know that? I doubt he was monitoring how far away you were, so if he heard you back there he probably just assumed you were back there drafting and not helping. What if you thought someone was drafting off of you for a few miles? You'd probably be a little upset about it as well.

If you caught up to me like that the 2nd time just to make me mad I'd start blowing snot rockets.
The OP said he was 30 yards behind, that would be a heck of a snot rocket.
Old 11-08-05, 10:41 AM
CanyonChaser
LOOK!!

Bikes: Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatadonut
I'd be irritated if I couldn't drop someone who wouldn't pass me after a few miles.
+1
Old 11-08-05, 10:41 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can't we all just get along?
Actually if you were behind me for that long of time I would have slowed down to allow you to catch up and then struck up a conversation. Meet alot of great folks out there on the road.
Old 11-08-05, 12:03 PM
whamptonrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecd
so i either have to pass you or not follow you at all? how far back do i need to stay, 100 yds? 500 yds? a mile?

ive had people suck my wheel, pace me sitting back, pass me, and it doesnt bother me one bit. why would it bother you?
Because it bugs me to have someone pacing me that close without saying anything...it's creepy. Just like it bothers me to have someone following me if I'm walking down the street. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine.
Old 11-08-05, 12:05 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whamptonrides
Because it bugs me to have someone pacing me that close without saying anything...it's creepy. Just like it bothers me to have someone following me if I'm walking down the street. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine.

30 yards is close?
Old 11-08-05, 12:17 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The OP said he was 30 yards behind, that would be a heck of a snot rocket.
Never underestimate my snot-rocketing ability.
Old 11-08-05, 12:22 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecd
because im a jerk to people that arent cordial.
You taunted him by following him and not passing him. Not everyone likes to be followed. You should have caught up and simply passed him.

Tim
Old 11-08-05, 12:29 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1
You taunted him by following him and not passing him. Not everyone likes to be followed. You should have caught up and simply passed him.

Tim
Wow, I never looked at it that way. I have in the past spotted a rider ahead of me and picked up speed as a motivator to ride faster. If they are really cooking then I just try to keep them in sight. Never any harm intended and I certainly wouldn't climb up on a rider then stay there.
Old 11-08-05, 01:04 PM
whamptonrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 60cycle
30 yards is close?
Yes, close enough to bug me.
Old 11-08-05, 01:07 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well... okay then.
Old 11-08-05, 05:25 PM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
Wow, I never looked at it that way. I have in the past spotted a rider ahead of me and picked up speed as a motivator to ride faster. If they are really cooking then I just try to keep them in sight. Never any harm intended and I certainly wouldn't climb up on a rider then stay there.

thats what i was doing and i figured 30 yards was far enough away not to crowd him. when i finally pulled up beside him at the stop sign i was thinking maybe he would want some company but i guess he didnt.

all this took place on a local bike trail and encountering many cyclers happens every ride. if we were out on a lonely road then i would of done things differently.

oh and he was spitting & blowing snot rockets up ahead of me.

anyway today was another great day & i enjoyed my ride.
Old 11-08-05, 05:28 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whamptonrides
Yes, close enough to bug me.
30 YARDS?

3 ft in a yard right?( I forget your system )

thats 30*3=90ft

90ft is too close? Jeez im riding 2-5ft from cars and you think that someone 90ft away from you is too close?

Why even ride? Most things are within a 90ft radius of you anyways?
Old 11-08-05, 05:43 PM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a possible cause of road bike rage.
Old 11-08-05, 06:54 PM
whamptonrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
30 YARDS?

3 ft in a yard right?( I forget your system )

thats 30*3=90ft

90ft is too close? Jeez im riding 2-5ft from cars and you think that someone 90ft away from you is too close?

Why even ride? Most things are within a 90ft radius of you anyways?
Hey, I didn't say that he would be so close that I'm afraid of a crash, I simply said it would bug me if someone paced me, staying 30 yards behind me, for 5 or 6 miles. I would assume that he was doing it intentionally and it would bug me. I would think most people would feel the same way. Maybe it's just me.
Old 11-08-05, 07:26 PM
ovoleg