Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Is there an "easy" way....

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-26-15, 10:33 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts

to stop collection calls on your "new" phone number, for someone else?

I have been nice, up to now, letting these folks know that the person they are looking for no longer has this number. They are looking for Mexican lady, based on the name, and I don't even begin to sound Spanish. I am sure they hear the whole bevy of excuses and lies concerning having a "wrong number", but it's to a point where I can't even leave my ringer on. I have DOZENS of messages in my box from these people over the last week and likely call three to four times a day.

Is there some realistic way to make this stop short of a lawyer being involved?

Land line, no call reject...
Old 05-26-15, 10:57 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they left a number call back, explain and ask to be removed from their list. Oh and mention that if you keep receiving calls you will have your lawyer pursue action for harassment.

This does work best if you have a lawyer friend and can follow up with a letter on his office stock.
Old 05-26-15, 11:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9884 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
to stop collection calls on your "new" phone number, for someone else?

I have been nice, up to now, letting these folks know that the person they are looking for no longer has this number. They are looking for Mexican lady, based on the name, and I don't even begin to sound Spanish. I am sure they hear the whole bevy of excuses and lies concerning having a "wrong number", but it's to a point where I can't even leave my ringer on. I have DOZENS of messages in my box from these people over the last week and likely call three to four times a day.

Is there some realistic way to make this stop short of a lawyer being involved?

I had the same problem with my work phone a couple of years back... Every week a similar phone call... I finally acted like the party they were looking for and followed their phone menu... and then spoke to a human and told them that they have the wrong number in their system.

Took about 3 events of that type... and talking to humans, to finally get it to stop. Now bear in mind, this was after weeks and weeks of hitting the menu item to tell them I wasn't the person they were looking for... apparently their robo-caller just didn't take "no" for an answer.
Old 05-26-15, 09:55 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have you tried modifying your voicemail greeting to include a mention that she no longer has this number? That might help.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-27-15, 05:13 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I had the same problem with my work phone a couple of years back... Every week a similar phone call... I finally acted like the party they were looking for and followed their phone menu... and then spoke to a human and told them that they have the wrong number in their system.

Took about 3 events of that type... and talking to humans, to finally get it to stop. Now bear in mind, this was after weeks and weeks of hitting the menu item to tell them I wasn't the person they were looking for... apparently their robo-caller just didn't take "no" for an answer.
Yup, one of them is automated, so I went though the procedure to be told "it will take 48 hours to remove" blah blah, and they keep coming. The other is human, and I have talked to the caller and "supervisors" who have supposedly removed me, till a few hours later/next day.
It's maddening.
Old 05-27-15, 07:10 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
Have you tried modifying your voicemail greeting to include a mention that she no longer has this number? That might help.
Won't help at all... usually there are robo-dialers involved, and they just don't listen... you have to get to humans to get that number removed. And that alone may not be successful. It took me three persistent tries.

Apparently when these things go to collection, the rules of civility are gone.

I have actually dealt with bill collectors on my own account when I was double billed for health care services after a hospital stay... it was a royal PITA trying to get them to resolve the situation, in spite of me showing them the two bills, for the same amount, and procedure. Once it is "in the computer..." everyone seems to believe it is valid. In my case, it took going directly to the billing department in person and having them track down the services based on the coding before they finally realized they had actually made an error... it took the better part of a day and me standing over them to ensure this was cleared... otherwise everyone involved was willing to pass it on as "the job of someone else."
Old 05-27-15, 08:10 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
As said above, it won't work. Even if it's a human making the call, they don't listen.

Years ago I had a land line and the number had belonged to a garage door company (the last 4 digits were 3667 - spelled out DOOR). When I first got it, I'd get calls from people wanting me to come out and repair their garage door. After a while, I changed my outgoing answering machine message to "you have reached a private residence. This is NOT Classic Garage Door. If you have a message for the resident, leave a message." Most of the messages were, "My garage door has stopped working, I need to schedule an appointment to have it repaired. Please call me at ###-####." They just wouldn't listen to/comprehend the outgoing message. I tried multiple variations. At one point, I considered tracking down their real number and the name of the manager, set up repair appointments and tell them if there were any issue they could reach me, (manager name), at (real phone number). I never did, though, as that would have been a dick move.
Old 05-27-15, 09:19 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this: Call your cell phone service provider and explain the situation and ask them what they plan to do about it. Credit your account for your inconvenience? They can look at your received calls & contact these folks to tell them to stop harassing their customer - because while you explain the situation, you're also going to mention that you may just have to change providers if you can't get a "clean" phone number.....
Old 05-27-15, 09:22 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I missed the land line thing - so, call your phone company - They DEFINATELY have a policy on letting phone numbers "rest" in order to avoid this kind of thing. Make noise & make THEM do something about it.
Old 05-27-15, 09:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
Try this: Call your cell phone service provider and explain the situation and ask them what they plan to do about it. Credit your account for your inconvenience? They can look at your received calls & contact these folks to tell them to stop harassing their customer - because while you explain the situation, you're also going to mention that you may just have to change providers if you can't get a "clean" phone number.....

According to Consumer Reports some providers can screen these calls. Unfortunately for me, Charter (home phone) won't do that and, as far as I can tell, Verizon is making my cell number available to companies. FWIW I absolutely hate Charter.
Old 05-27-15, 10:21 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, 1990s MTBs

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
This happened to us when my wife and I bought our current house. We set up a land-line, a new number for us, and the collection calls started for someone who apparently used to live in our house. This wasn't the same phone number, but the same address.

The calls went on for years, literally. We've been there ten years now and I bet we got calls for this woman for three or four of them. What I learned about the collection business is this:

Company A (the original creditor) is owed money - let's say $100. They finally give up and sell that debt to Collection Agency 1 for $50. CA1 calls and calls and finally gives up and sells the debt of $100 to CA2 for $25. By the time CA37 buys the debt for pennies, there's practically no chance to collect, but if they do, the payoff is huge, since the $100 debt only cost them four cents. The commission is huge for the individual collectors who are doing the phone calls, if they somehow manage to collect.

I made up the numbers, of course, but I believe that's the general process. One group will call for a while, and then another will start calling, then the next, and so on.

So, even if you get one CA to remove your phone number, that doesn't mean the next one will get that information. Commission-hungry collectors will call any and every number they think might make them some money.

In my opinion, all you can do is remain calm and explain to everyone you can that you aren't the person they're looking for and to please make a note on the account about it. Eventually the calls will stop.
Old 05-27-15, 10:28 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As other have indicated unless you are willing to change your cell phone number there is little that you can do without working it for weeks or months to get them to take the number off their system. Getting through to a real person is the key, the robotic dialer menu choices just won't cut it.

Years ago they gave me a phone number XXX-1411. The number 1-411 is the number for information in the USA. I got COUNTLESS people calling asking for information, some simply would NOT beleive me that I was not information. A few got real nasty, one lady broke down and started crying, I got a phone book (remember those?) and looked up the number for her. A few times ads in the paper (remember those too?) refused to put my ads up for me thinking I was listing the number for information instead of my own. After about 6 months of this I bit the bullet and got the number changed. Then started the calls for another person with the same name, seems he had more than a few bad debts. I was the first and eventually only person with that name in the book so I must of been him, right? Yeesh, life sucks some times.
Old 05-27-15, 11:00 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
According to Consumer Reports some providers can screen these calls. Unfortunately for me, Charter (home phone) won't do that and, as far as I can tell, Verizon is making my cell number available to companies. FWIW I absolutely hate Charter.
Some cell phones allow you to reject calls... I use a Samsung S5 and I have the ability to block calls. I do this as there is some crazy solar "hard selling" going on in my area and I get at least one call a week from some "disconnected" number that claims to be some solar company. If it were a valid solar supplier they would not use a "disconnected" number, nor would the number respond as "disconnected" when I try to call back. They also change numbers, and yet claim to be either the same company or another solar company... Now and then I let one slip in and I tell them every time that I am NOT interested and to remove my number. The calls continue and I block that next number. I have about 5 numbers blocked right now.

Stupid sales technique if you ask me... hound someone in an effort to get a sale... oh sure, that's gonna endear you to that customer.
Old 05-27-15, 11:13 AM
bikebuddha 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send them a letter advising them that continuing collection calls to you are a violation of the FDCPA.
Old 05-27-15, 11:32 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by bikebuddha View Post
Send them a letter advising them that continuing collection calls to you are a violation of the FDCPA.
If you can get a valid address... some of these collection agencies are as slippery as those they target.
Old 05-27-15, 11:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
We've had our land line phone number for 2.5 years (new to us house). We're still getting calls (some collection, some not so sure) for two different people. A lot of them are robocalls that say call us back at #X with case number Y. It's taken 3-4 callbacks to some of these companies before they take us off their lists. We're on the federal do not call list, but have been getting lots of calls from people claiming not to be selling anything but wanting to help us with our credit card debt (or give insurance for it or something) even though we don't have any. That and wanting us to do surveys that end with trying to sell us things. It's gotten to the point where we almost never answer the phone anymore unless we see it's family.
Old 05-27-15, 11:45 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Some cell phones allow you to reject calls...
Too bad OP has a land line.

A new phone number is like a new girlfriend. Always remember that there's a reason the prior person no longer has it.

Since it's a brand new number to you I'd tell the phone company to issue you a new number, specifically one that's been out of service for a long time. You shouldn't have to deal with that cr@p.

BTW, is there a specific reason for a true landline? We switched over to a Straightalk Wireless Home Phone a year ago and it's been great. At $16.01/mo after tax it beats the pants off of even the cheapest landline.
Old 05-27-15, 12:22 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
Too bad OP has a land line.

A new phone number is like a new girlfriend. Always remember that there's a reason the prior person no longer has it.

Since it's a brand new number to you I'd tell the phone company to issue you a new number, specifically one that's been out of service for a long time. You shouldn't have to deal with that cr@p.

BTW, is there a specific reason for a true landline? We switched over to a Straightalk Wireless Home Phone a year ago and it's been great. At $16.01/mo after tax it beats the pants off of even the cheapest landline.
Yeah I know the OP is on a land line... but later someone in the thread referenced cell phones... so I mentioned a cell phone solution.

As far as wanting a land line... the only reason I can think of is that cell coverage in an area is bad... I have both a brother and a close friend that have poor cell phone coverage at their homes. (totally different states and networks BTW). For them at home, the land line is the only thing that is reliable.

Then there is my mother... nothing high tech for her... she relies on land line and snail mail, and she reads paper books... she chuckles when someone asks for her email address. Mom still sends cards with 5 bucks for everyones' birthdays. We send her gift cards to Walmart and Barnes & Noble.
Old 05-27-15, 01:15 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 887 Times in 295 Posts
Many years ago when moving out of a "dive" apartment I cleaned the place better than it was when I moved in. Then I went to the manager and said I was ready for final inspection. She just said, "Oh, I'm sure it's alright." And like a dope I left it at that.

Long story short, they filed an extra $40 cleaning charge on me. They didn't try to collect. The first I heard 2 weeks later was from a collection agency. When I called to complain the lady said something to the effect that they had to clean the place. I told her that the place was cleaner than when I moved in and asked specifically what they cleaned. She finally admitted they removed a 16oz water bottle from the fridge.

The next time the collection agency called I contacted them and got a human agent. I told him the story and that I was never paying this bill. He gave me the usual credit warnings and I told him still not paying. I think he believed me they never called again.

I think the best method is to contact an actual person. Convince them that they are losing time which equals money bothering you. Even deliberately waste some of their time. You don't even have to be rude. Just annoying. Good luck.
Old 05-27-15, 01:23 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I know the OP is on a land line... but later someone in the thread referenced cell phones...
Ah, fair enough.

Nice thing with straight talk thing, provided you have coverage, is that once it's set up it's essentially indistinguishable from a landline. We have the box plugged into the house phone wiring and it drives other "landline" phones providing dialtone, as well as having the other port connected to our conventional cordless phone base. The box includes its own battery backup that keeps it working through (short) power outages. We've been quite happy with it. (note it does NOT work with fax machines or old-style alarm systems that depend on a landline)
Old 05-27-15, 01:24 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Many years ago when moving out of a "dive" apartment I cleaned the place better than it was when I moved in. Then I went to the manager and said I was ready for final inspection. She just said, "Oh, I'm sure it's alright." And like a dope I left it at that.

Long story short, they filed an extra $40 cleaning charge on me. They didn't try to collect. The first I heard 2 weeks later was from a collection agency. When I called to complain the lady said something to the effect that they had to clean the place. I told her that the place was cleaner than when I moved in and asked specifically what they cleaned. She finally admitted they removed a 16oz water bottle from the fridge.

The next time the collection agency called I contacted them and got a human agent. I told him the story and that I was never paying this bill. He gave me the usual credit warnings and I told him still not paying. I think he believed me they never called again.

I think the best method is to contact an actual person. Convince them that they are losing time which equals money bothering you. Even deliberately waste some of their time. You don't even have to be rude. Just annoying. Good luck.
You have to talk to a human... nothing else will work... especially when these folks are using robo-dialers.

I have to laugh at your apartment story... while we did not get on some collection agency list, indeed the last apartment we had (we've been in houses for some 30+ years now) went something like that... we had even patched and repainted and it still didn't matter... we never got our deposit back.

At that point we chose not to fight it... which is probably what happens most of the time... we had just bought our first house we were looking beyond the rental nightmares...
Old 05-27-15, 04:29 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
My land line gives me the option to add numbers to a list that will not get through. I've added probably 10 or so, and rarely get solicited anymore. Comcast, btw.
Old 05-28-15, 10:28 AM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
At work I occasionally get collection calls for a (now deceased) former coworker (he died at least a year after he was fired).

At first, I'd just say he no longer works here. Now I tell them that I heard he has died, but that they shouldn't take my word for it. They thank me and say they'll remove the number from their records. And they do, at least until Squeeze's scenario kicks in, and they sell the debt to someone else a year or two later.
Old 05-28-15, 12:18 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 329 Posts
I dont' answer calls that I don't know so they kept leaving me messages in Spanish. So finally I answered. When they started going off, I just replied in Chinese. Threw them for a loop. When they continued to try to talk to me, I continued in Chinese.

I guess they took me off of their list.

Now I'm having issues with the automated ones.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-28-15, 12:18 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 329 Posts
Oh I might add that I don't know how to speak Chinese. I just made words up as I went along.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.