Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dangers from Coyotes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dangers from Coyotes?

Old 03-18-19, 05:18 PM
  #126  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 302 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Oooooh, love to hear the song dogs at night! Along with the Milky Way hanging in an inky black sky, it's part of the spiritual recharge I get when camping.
You mean like the Thin Lizzy song? 😁😉
I've heard coyotes calling more times than I can count now, but the first time or two, it's a little unnerving. Wolves, on the other hand, don't sound very scary, but are supposed to be way more dangerous.
BTW, I'm still touring in Arizona, near Prescott now, so the coyote are pretty common. 😲
I hope they don't have a thing for corned beef, a lady gave me a huge baggy-ful of leftovers today. 😁😉
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 05:33 PM
  #127  
chrisx
Senior Member
 
chrisx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Coyote's Bicycle: The Untold Story of Seven Thousand Bicycles and the Rise of a B

For readers of Jon Krakauer and Susan Orlean, The Coyote's Bicycle brings to life a never-before-told phenomenon at our southern border, and the human drama of those who would cross.

It wasn’t surprising when the first abandoned bicycles were found along the dirt roads and farmland just across the border from Tijuana, but before long they were arriving in droves. The bikes went from curiosity, to nuisance, to phenomenon. But until they caught the eye of journalist Kimball Taylor, only a small cadre of human smugglers—coyotes—and migrants could say how or why they’d gotten there. This is the story of 7,000 bikes that made an incredible journey and one young man from Oaxaca who arrived at the border with nothing, built a small empire, and then vanished.

Taylor follows the trail of the border bikes through some of society’s most powerful institutions, and, with the help of an unlikely source, he reconstructs the rise of one of Tijuana’s most innovative coyotes. Touching on immigration and globalization, as well as the history of the US/Mexico border, The Coyote’s Bicycle is at once an immersive investigation of an outrageous occurrence and a true-crime, rags-to-riches story.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyotes-Bicyc.../dp/1978650426


​​​​​​​
chrisx is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 06:16 PM
  #128  
willibrord
Senior Member
 
willibrord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way Out West
Posts: 475

Bikes: steel but the next will be bamboo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
For readers of Jon Krakauer and Susan Orlean, The Coyote's Bicycle brings to life a never-before-told phenomenon at our southern border, and the human drama of those who would cross.

It wasn’t surprising when the first abandoned bicycles were found along the dirt roads and farmland just across the border from Tijuana, but before long they were arriving in droves. The bikes went from curiosity, to nuisance, to phenomenon. But until they caught the eye of journalist Kimball Taylor, only a small cadre of human smugglers—coyotes—and migrants could say how or why they’d gotten there. This is the story of 7,000 bikes that made an incredible journey and one young man from Oaxaca who arrived at the border with nothing, built a small empire, and then vanished.

Taylor follows the trail of the border bikes through some of society’s most powerful institutions, and, with the help of an unlikely source, he reconstructs the rise of one of Tijuana’s most innovative coyotes. Touching on immigration and globalization, as well as the history of the US/Mexico border, The Coyote’s Bicycle is at once an immersive investigation of an outrageous occurrence and a true-crime, rags-to-riches story.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyotes-Bicyc.../dp/1978650426


​​​​​​​
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done beofre the wall is built!
willibrord is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 06:20 PM
  #129  
chrisx
Senior Member
 
chrisx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord View Post
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done beofre the wall is built!
bad guess.

chrisx is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 06:40 PM
  #130  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 302 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
bad guess.

Very cool, can you educate us on the meaning? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and know right next to nothing about Mexican or Native American culture. I do have a small collection of turquoise jewelry going now, as it's my birthstone. Most recent purchase was a huge belt buckle, made with Mexican silver, and having 3 huge turquoise stones. Unfortunately, one stone is damaged, but that's why I could afford it, lol. 😁😉
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 08:55 PM
  #131  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

Very cool, can you educate us on the meaning? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and know right next to nothing about Mexican or Native American culture. I do have a small collection of turquoise jewelry going now, as it's my birthstone. Most recent purchase was a huge belt buckle, made with Mexican silver, and having 3 huge turquoise stones. Unfortunately, one stone is damaged, but that's why I could afford it, lol. 😁😉
Its not Mexican, its Egyptian. It's the Eye of Horus.

The Eye of Horus, also known as wadjet, wedjat or udjat, is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power, and good health. The Eye of Horus is similar to the Eye of Ra, which belongs to a different god, Ra, but represents many of the same concepts.
Wikipedia

(Google is your friend)
skookum is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 09:38 PM
  #132  
chrisx
Senior Member
 
chrisx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
its Egyptian. )
The Eye of Horus and the Eye of Ra: Not the Same ? Michael Fassbender

The Eye of Horus and the Eye of Ra: Not the Same

The Eye of Ra and the Eye of Horus are literally as different as the sun and moon. They pertain to deities with similarities in their iconography and a certain overlap in their roles and attributes, but

In Mexico, coyote has a different meaning.

Cruzar la frontera de México con un coyote por 700 dólares

https://translate.google.com/?
hl=es#view=home&op=translate&sl=es&tl=en&text=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.elmundo.es%2Finternacional%2F2018%2F 11%2F29%2F5bfede2f21efa0c17f8b4690.html

https://www.elmundo.es/internacional...17f8b4690.html


*
chrisx is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 11:03 PM
  #133  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 302 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Its not Mexican, its Egyptian. It's the Eye of Horus.

Wikipedia

(Google is your friend)
But if I googled everything I didn't understand, I'd never have time to ride my bike. 😁
Somehow, Egypt seems to not fit the thread topic. 🤔
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 11:36 PM
  #134  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

. 😁
Somehow, Egypt seems to not fit the thread topic. 🤔
Nope. But it is a cool image.
skookum is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 11:07 AM
  #135  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,963

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord View Post
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done before the wall is built!
A. I won't live that long.

B. I would just tote a ladder and some wire snips.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 11:27 AM
  #136  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,030

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 248 Posts
Not to worry, they only use ACME.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 06:33 PM
  #137  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 302 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Not to worry, they only use ACME.
(beep beep)
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 11:14 PM
  #138  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,714

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
I saw a coyote on my ride tonight. It was a pretty big size, like a German Shepherd. Thankfully it was more scared of me than I was of it. I yelled and he ran off.

This was, incidentally, in the residential Overton Park neighborhood on the west side of Fort Worth, right in town.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 04:50 AM
  #139  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
The local (Detroit) news had a news segment yesterday with video of a mature, healthy looking coyote in a Detroit neighborhood. Rattled residents called the police, the police call DNR types who drove up, then drove off suggesting "so?" Nice looking animal, hope it's left alone. Folks were advised to keep an eye on their pets.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 05:07 AM
  #140  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,192
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12743 Post(s)
Liked 5,027 Times in 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
The local (Detroit) news had a news segment yesterday with video of a mature, healthy looking coyote in a Detroit neighborhood. Rattled residents called the police, the police call DNR types who drove up, then drove off suggesting "so?" Nice looking animal, hope it's left alone. Folks were advised to keep an eye on their pets.
As I noted somewhere above, there have been thousands living in Cook County, IL (which includes Chicago) for years. Many live within the city itself.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 03-20-19, 05:23 AM
  #141  
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!
 
Patriot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western NC
Posts: 589

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts


Middle coyote weighed 48 lbs..a big yote.
In North Carolina open season year round on hunting coyotes...we are over run with yotes. They kill young fawns, mature deer, cats, sheep, goats, chickens, small and medium sized dogs and larger older dogs. They are caggy stealthy hunters and hunt all the time when not in their dens nursing pups.
The lost dog or cat signs posted on telephone poles for the most part are likely coyote kills. Coyotes will hunt hedge rows of a field for cover and concealment. They run deer in packs. They fear humans more than humans fear them. The issue is they are cross breeding with wild dogs and reproducing a “coy dog” which is a much larger coyote. Not good.
Coyote hunting is interesting and very strategic.

Like most politicians, they eat will their own and are cannibals.
__________________

Patriot1 is offline  
Old 03-20-19, 09:11 AM
  #142  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
Michigan also permits year-round coyote hunting. Naturally only in areas where hunting is permitted. Even night hunting is permitted with certain weapons restrictions.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 03:30 PM
  #143  
D1quicksoul
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I never thought the were very dangerous. I hear them often on my commute (in the morning) and I see them once-in-a-while but they are always running away or watching from a distance.

That being said, a little while ago, at the start of my early morning commute (still dark out) I was chased by a pack of coyotes. It felt like I was being "hunted".

Not sure if that was the case though.

It did scare me... Even wrote about it in a post on my newbie blog.
D1quicksoul is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 09:58 PM
  #144  
greatscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 540

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 54 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attack
greatscott is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 05:32 AM
  #145  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
Interesting reading, thanks. I must admit, my few personal encounters have been with lone, less than well fed looking coyote that were very timid in their behavior. Had I encountered, say three, well fed looking examples like the latest one videoed in Beverly Hills (Mich.) and they seemed to stand their ground, focused on me, I would likely be very concerned.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 11:34 AM
  #146  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 582 Posts
That's why on my rides I carry this

Happy Feet is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 12:51 PM
  #147  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,824

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
That's why on my rides I carry this

What might it be ?, all I see is a top tube bag, a computer, an aero bar and something else that isn’t clear in the photo.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 02:31 PM
  #148  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post


What might it be ?, all I see is a top tube bag, a computer, an aero bar and something else that isn’t clear in the photo.
Sorry,
Bear spray. Besides good wildlife safety habits, it's the best non lethal legal deterrent. Good for coyotes, bear, cougar, dogs, muggers and jackalopes

Technically, you aren't legally allowed to carry it for people as it then becomes a weapon but I think one could make a strong argument for self defense if you primarily carried it for animals but needed to use it to stop an unexpected assault as long as it wasn't an argument/pissing match considering the other options (gun knife) are often illegal to carry or lethal.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 04:03 PM
  #149  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,797

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 302 Times in 221 Posts
I slept near Paulden, Arizona ((a bit North of Chino Valley), last night, and the coyotes were really raising heck. I yelled at them to stop, but they wouldn't listen. 🙄😁
stardognine is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 07:54 PM
  #150  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,942

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Sorry,
Bear spray. Besides good wildlife safety habits, it's the best non lethal legal deterrent. Good for coyotes, bear, cougar, dogs, muggers and jackalopes

Technically, you aren't legally allowed to carry it for people as it then becomes a weapon but I think one could make a strong argument for self defense if you primarily carried it for animals but needed to use it to stop an unexpected assault as long as it wasn't an argument/pissing match considering the other options (gun knife) are often illegal to carry or lethal.
I carry mine on my person most of the time, in case I get separated from the bike.
2manybikes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.