Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What is your wedding band made of?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.
View Poll Results: What material is your wedding band?
Platinum
10.29%
Gold/white Gold
47.06%
Silver
4.41%
Steel
0%
Titanium
11.76%
Aluminum
0%
Carbon Fiber
0%
Other
1.47%
Not Married/don't wear a wedding band
25.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

What is your wedding band made of?

Old 01-25-06, 07:28 PM
cycleprincess
NEVER WALK A HILL

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe Specialized Dolce Vita Multi Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband got us new bands for our 10th anniversary. He chose titanium and he did good...beautiful ring. Very modern. I posted a picture once...don't know what happened to it.
Old 01-25-06, 08:49 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mine is the lightest material of all - thin air!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-25-06, 10:36 PM
icithecat
old codger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is basic 10K gold and not too wide. I rarely wear it because the skin underneath turns white and pulpy. It obviously does not move around enough to breathe underneath. I tried a size larger at a store and it would fall off.

Any thought on whether a different material would react differently?
Old 01-26-06, 06:46 AM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, I just saw this thread and looked down and noticed my ring wasn't where it has been for the past 3.5yrs. It's not that I don't ever take it off but I seldom forget to put it back on after a few minutes. I think I took it off yesterday morning before my shower. I quickly emailed my wife to tell her to find it before my 2yr old or I may never see it again! Of course, if it is lost then I'm going for the titanium replacement. I'd like to shave a couple grams off my weight... it will probably make me ride faster.
Old 01-26-06, 06:51 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made out of ice.....good thing it outlasted the marriage.
Old 01-26-06, 11:07 AM
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by psuaero
I quickly emailed my wife to tell her to find it before my 2yr old or I may never see it again!
Don't worry. It will turn up in about 8 hours. Wear gloves.
Old 01-26-06, 11:23 AM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is made of air.
Old 01-26-06, 11:46 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yellow gold with a white gold inlay with 2 tiny specs of diamond dust.
Old 01-26-06, 11:48 AM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engraved pull tabs
Old 01-26-06, 11:48 AM
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How creepy would it be to have one made of hair? You know like the mourning bands that people used to wear? You know someone in the world has a band made of their spouses hair.
Old 01-26-06, 12:09 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not married. Someday, probably whatever my wife wants it to be made of.
Old 01-26-06, 01:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 897 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
Good thinking: start giving in now, before you're even married.
Old 01-26-06, 01:44 PM
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could work to your advantage....or not...not every woman wants a rock that can be seen from space.
Old 01-26-06, 02:10 PM
WorldWind
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by librarian
We didn't have a band. We just had a bagpiper lead us down the aisle.

How like a Scott to not spring for a full band. LOL

Yours was the only post in this thread that made me smile.

Maybe because I felt compelled to toss my wedding ring into a volcano 16 years ago.
Old 01-26-06, 02:13 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lex
Could work to your advantage....or not...not every woman wants a rock that can be seen from space.
Yay for rocks that can be seen from space.

I know one of my very good friends has told me she doesn't want a guy to "waste a lot of money" on her future engagement ring because she thinks they're a big waste of money. I know what I would consider spending is about 3x what she would consider the upper limit of a reasonable budget. Too bad she's a lawyer in Manhattan and I'm a grad student in San Diego... just too far apart, and both with pretty non-mobile jobs. For that matter, both without so much as predictable weekends off. (And not because I want to be cheap. )

I also know one of my sister's friends who intends to examine her diamond personally. Being trained in the diamond field, she plans to say no to any guy whose diamond doesn't meet her requirements for color and clarity. She also plans to send any future serious boyfriend my way to have a chat about how one time expenses don't damage your finances in the long run, so you might as well splurge.
Old 01-26-06, 02:19 PM
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yay for rocks that can be seen from space.

I know one of my very good friends has told me she doesn't want a guy to "waste a lot of money" on her future engagement ring because she thinks they're a big waste of money. I know what I would consider spending is about 3x what she would consider the upper limit of a reasonable budget. Too bad she's a lawyer in Manhattan and I'm a grad student in San Diego... just too far apart, and both with pretty non-mobile jobs. For that matter, both without so much as predictable weekends off. (And not because I want to be cheap. )

I also know one of my sister's friends who intends to examine her diamond personally. Being trained in the diamond field, she plans to say no to any guy whose diamond doesn't meet her requirements for color and clarity. She also plans to send any future serious boyfriend my way to have a chat about how one time expenses don't damage your finances in the long run, so you might as well splurge.

I picked out my own engagement ring. We went to the jewelry store and I was just looking for something I liked. Found the perfect ring so we bought it....and it turned out to be half off. My husband said that any cold feet he might have had warmed up right them because I'd chosen something that was less than 1/3 of what he was prepared to spend. The lesson in this....get an idea of what they're prepared to spend.

My best friend is like your sister's friend. The value of the realtionship is in direct relation to the cost/clarity of the diamond.....in her eyes the jewelry choice shows her worth. To each their own, I guess.
Old 01-26-06, 03:34 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Ahh... I got caught up in the Platinum hype of the past decade or so... I like it, but the stuff was expensive as all get out. My wife's wedding band is kind of skinny as a result, so it looks strange if she doesn't wear it along with the engagement ring. I do like the heft of the platinum band. It feels more solid and 'there' than a lighter gold or even lighter titanium band.

I did get her a titanium band that is like my platinum ring so that she could have a more 'casual' ring for when she didn't want to wear the diamond, but still wanted to have a ring on her hand.... alas, she doesn't wear it often.

Knowing what I know now, I'd get titanium, or possibly white gold, and use the extra cash to up the quality of the diamond.

By the way, guys, when they get into that whole 4 C's of diamonds remember that the C for Carat is much less important in the long run that the C's for Cut, Clarity, and Color. A 1+ Carat diamond is crap if the other C's are no good. A .5 or .75 Carat diamond will look amazing if the other C's are of quality. Women know this. (At least, that's what I hear and read.... I don't *truly* know what women want.... )

That diatribe on diamonds being said.... go for Moissanite for the stone... she'll never know... ha ha ha!!!
So true about the diamonds...

It will probably be 10 years until I can marry, but I do have .76 carot F color, SL1 quality, excelent cut diamond earings I wear almost all the time... how much they were... just don't ask!
Old 01-26-06, 03:45 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a chat about how one time expenses don't damage your finances in the long run, so you might as well splurge.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Since when is that the case? That's the kind of mindset that runs up enormous credit card debt.
Old 01-26-06, 03:47 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^F color diamond earrings? Yikes! Even if it's 0.76 carats for left and right combined, wow. That's nicer than anything I'd ever buy for someone.
Old 01-26-06, 04:01 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Since when is that the case? That's the kind of mindset that runs up enormous credit card debt.
Well, not if you run an orderly financial ship and splurge with your discretionary funds. I don't particularly care what I might spend on a future engagement ring if it really means that much to the girl because I can easily make up for it cutting bake little bits on other stuff. I can have a BMW 325i, but a Ford Focus gives me 85% of the fun to drive factor in my books, at half the cost. There's the ring right there.

I guess I'm the type where I allow relatively large excesses in moderate-priced non-recurring expenses but tend to trim fat on recurring or large expenses. And trim fat on the day to day. As long as non-recurring expenses can be squeezed in without affecting my savings rate by trimming fat elsewhere, I have no problem with them.

Anyway, back to discussion of carbon fiber wedding bands.
Old 01-26-06, 09:33 PM
ewitz
Banned.

Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
So true about the diamonds...

It will probably be 10 years until I can marry, but I do have .76 carot F color, SL1 quality, excelent cut diamond earings I wear almost all the time... how much they were... just don't ask!
IF, VVS1, VVS2, VS1, VS2, SI1, SI2 & I1.

What is SL1?