Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Old 10-11-19, 09:10 AM
  #201  
nayr497
Senior Member
 
nayr497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nilbog
Posts: 1,700

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point, I either ignore it or *maybe* calmly say something like, "Please put your lights on, it is dark out." or "Please put on your turn signal." But, everyone is so into themselves these days, pretty much ANY suggestion from a stranger is seen as a reason to fight. If they directly engage me for no reason or fault of my own, I will get defensively aggressive and tell them to stop bothering me, go on about their day, or I'll call the police. I'm usually pretty forceful at that point. I also do MOST of my riding in urban areas these days, so lots of other people around. On a country road and if I'm isolated, I just try to move on/get out of there ASAP.
nayr497 is offline  
Old 10-11-19, 01:11 PM
  #202  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,224

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
... But if for no other reason to speak up consider this quote:

"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.". ...
I've always hated that quote, because it's logically incoherent and usually used to bully someone into agreement or silence.

This post is a case in point, neither part of a solution nor the problem. Just randomly contentious I guess ... but I feel like challenging this notion lest I be deemed "part of the problem" that it entails ...
wphamilton is offline  
Old 10-11-19, 04:03 PM
  #203  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 225 Posts
I always, always, always de-escalate. People have a habit of getting shot in this town.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 10-11-19, 05:40 PM
  #204  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,623

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I've always hated that quote, because it's logically incoherent and usually used to bully someone into agreement or silence.

This post is a case in point, neither part of a solution nor the problem. Just randomly contentious I guess ... but I feel like challenging this notion lest I be deemed "part of the problem" that it entails ...
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message. I look at it as a call to arms and a reminder that we're all responsible in some measure for the state of our society. When someones says society is messed up, I ask them what have they done lately to make it better.

Speaking out and challenging wrong, is the first step and least we can do. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm compelled to at least do tat much.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that. How many help your neighbor stories do you see a night verses all the carnage and corruption?
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
I always, always, always de-escalate. People have a habit of getting shot in this town.
Deescalation is a strategy, but not always a solution. Trouble can follow you no matter what you do.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 10-12-19, 06:45 AM
  #205  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,224

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message.
No such thing as over-analyzing! That's just another thing people say when they don't like logical conclusions.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that.
If that were a rational conclusion, then you'd be contributing to every problem in the word because you are not doing anything to solve them.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 10-12-19, 01:32 PM
  #206  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Ha, ha. Just this past Wednesday around 11am, I was honked at by a tractor-trailor driver. He honked twice before changing lanes and passing me. When I caught up with him, I told him we were in the diamond lane. But he swore at me anyways. So that went well just as if I had just let it go.
Times like these, I wish I had a camera instead so I can call or write to the company instead.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 10-12-19, 01:53 PM
  #207  
sumgy
Senior Member
 
sumgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
Ha, ha. Just this past Wednesday around 11am, I was honked at by a tractor-trailor driver. He honked twice before changing lanes and passing me. When I caught up with him, I told him we were in the diamond lane. But he swore at me anyways. So that went well just as if I had just let it go.
Times like these, I wish I had a camera instead so I can call or write to the company instead.
Just call them.
Many of them have GPS tracking in their vehicles anyway.
I am in Australia and I tell them that I have been involved in a Workplace incident with one of their field units. They are more scared of the Government department that manages workplace incidents than they are of the police as any workplace incident can lead to a review of their entire workplace.
sumgy is offline  
Old 10-12-19, 02:25 PM
  #208  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 225 Posts
Seriously thinking of just putting a GoPro on my helmet.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 10-12-19, 02:42 PM
  #209  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy View Post
Just call them.
Many of them have GPS tracking in their vehicles anyway.
I am in Australia and I tell them that I have been involved in a Workplace incident with one of their field units. They are more scared of the Government department that manages workplace incidents than they are of the police as any workplace incident can lead to a review of their entire workplace.
My problem is that I can never remember the name of the company. My attention is looking out for the traffic. I'd make a lousy witness.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 03:57 PM
  #210  
phillman5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message. I look at it as a call to arms and a reminder that we're all responsible in some measure for the state of our society. When someones says society is messed up, I ask them what have they done lately to make it better.

Speaking out and challenging wrong, is the first step and least we can do. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm compelled to at least do tat much.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that. How many help your neighbor stories do you see a night verses all the carnage and corruption?
KraneXL: How right you are. People tell me "let it go". But if everybody just 'lets it go' nothing will change!
phillman5 is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 04:02 PM
  #211  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 626 Posts
"We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 09:03 PM
  #212  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Seriously thinking of just putting a GoPro on my helmet.
What would seal the deal for you?
JW Fas is offline  
Old 10-16-19, 12:44 AM
  #213  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 225 Posts
Maybe one more incident. Or, if I get serious about adding this 21-mile trail we have here called Springwater A guy was basically mugged there a few months ago and his really nice Colnago stolen by what turned out to be a punk. Anyhow, my morning rides start every day at 0430. A lot of that trail is isolated from streets or any potential help or oversight. A camera might come in handy. You never know...
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 10-16-19, 10:54 AM
  #214  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Seriously thinking of just putting a GoPro on my helmet.
I'd like to get one too but they're so expensive.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 10-16-19, 04:21 PM
  #215  
JW Fas
Cop Magnet
 
JW Fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
I'd like to get one too but they're so expensive.
Cheaper than most insurance deductibles.
JW Fas is offline  
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-16-19, 08:45 PM
  #216  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,405

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
Cheaper than most insurance deductibles.
Care to explain the relevance? Do you seriously believe the purchase and use of a video camera reduces a bicycle rider's risk of accidental injury?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 10-17-19, 01:15 AM
  #217  
TheDudeIsHere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
Never been harassed so I don't deal with it. I do ride and obey all rules and laws. Many time I enter a 4 way intersection. I prepare to stop, signal etc and 90% of the time, all drivers will wave me through. I think they appreciate a law abiding cyclist.

I also have heard many cyclist complain about drivers. They swear by their cycling but having been on with them on rides, I can see why motorists get upset with them.
TheDudeIsHere is offline  
Old 10-17-19, 07:50 AM
  #218  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,587

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
I'd like to get one too but they're so expensive.
Only if you want the latest and greatest, which most people won't use even a fraction of the features anyway.

You can pick up a GP3-GP5 for well under $100 on ebay these days. Really anything from the GP2 (720 HD) on is fine if you just want it for 'evidence'.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 10-17-19, 09:22 AM
  #219  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post
Never been harassed so I don't deal with it. I do ride and obey all rules and laws. Many time I enter a 4 way intersection. I prepare to stop, signal etc and 90% of the time, all drivers will wave me through. I think they appreciate a law abiding cyclist.

I also have heard many cyclist complain about drivers. They swear by their cycling but having been on with them on rides, I can see why motorists get upset with them.
Lucky you. Must be bike heaven where you live.
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-17-19, 02:46 PM
  #220  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,219 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post
Never been harassed so I don't deal with it. I do ride and obey all rules and laws. Many time I enter a 4 way intersection. I prepare to stop, signal etc and 90% of the time, all drivers will wave me through. I think they appreciate a law abiding cyclist.

I also have heard many cyclist complain about drivers. They swear by their cycling but having been on with them on rides, I can see why motorists get upset with them.
Almost every time I get honked at, I am riding perfectly legally and FRAP, not even in the driver's way. The other times, it's usually because drivers don't understand what bicyclists are supposed to do with turn lanes. And yes, I consider honking at someone harassment.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-17-19, 06:10 PM
  #221  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 225 Posts
I just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
bpcyclist is offline  
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-17-19, 06:17 PM
  #222  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28 N, 83.78 W (A2)
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
i just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
+1
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 10-17-19, 06:35 PM
  #223  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
I just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
I do appreciate it when road users give consideration of others as I sometimes let motorists and pedestrians go ahead of me.

However, some people right here in the BikeForums discussion forums don't as they refer to them as Niceholes.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 10-18-19, 01:15 PM
  #224  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,219 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
I just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
I try to wave or salute or whatever when someone does this, and I definitely try to remember it so I don't get all bent out of shape the next time someone is nasty to me. I think there's about 10 nice guys to every jerk, but the jerks really do tend to stick in my mind if I'm not careful. I had a guy the other day roll down his window to thank me for moving over to the left a few inches at a red light to let him take the right turn in his car. Courtesy makes riding and driving a lot more pleasant.

Of course, just a few hours later, when I took the center lane on a road that divided left and right, the center lane going to the left, some jerk from behind honks at me, goes into the left lane, zooms ahead of me, then pops into the right lane. He just couldn't stand the thought of passing me on the right for some reason even though I was several feet to the left, and decided it was better to cross my lane twice. No one else around, either. Rocket scientist, I guess.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 10-18-19, 01:20 PM
  #225  
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,219 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
I do appreciate it when road users give consideration of others as I sometimes let motorists and pedestrians go ahead of me.

However, some people right here in the BikeForums discussion forums don't as they refer to them as Niceholes.
I don't like the term, but there are situations where this courtesy is actually worse than unhelpful. People doing it sometimes don't realize they're actually cutting off a line of sight on another lane or they can't see another lane where there are cars approaching. I have had to actually flag someone through, insisting they need to move first, which I suspect the driver thinks is kind of rude on my part, but if I can't see around them, I can't go without putting myself at severe risk.
livedarklions is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.