Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon asplosion

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon asplosion

Old 10-13-19, 03:08 PM
  #1  
rousseau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Carbon asplosion

Well, not precisely. The shift lever on my right 10-speed Record shifter (2001-03 vintage) is actually plastic, but they're carbon shifters. So that counts right? This isn't click bait, is it?

It just snapped when I went to downshift. It's on the town bike that I get groceries with, a bike that features a very lax maintenance schedule and gets ridden through winter and stored in an unheated shed, which probably explains why there has been more resistance in the shifting lately. Still, I'm disappointed.

Then again, this provides me with an opportunity/excuse to get some new shifters, so there's that.



(Oh, the crappy aftermarket shifter hoods I put on to look cute tear at the slightest strain when pulling on them to settle the straight edge in against the lip instead of bulging up, which they annoyingly always do.)
rousseau is offline  
Old 10-13-19, 05:00 PM
  #2  
dorkypants
Senior Member
 
dorkypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hudz, meh!

Originally Posted by rousseau View Post



(Oh, the crappy aftermarket shifter hoods I put on to look cute tear at the slightest strain when pulling on them to settle the straight edge in against the lip instead of bulging up, which they annoyingly always do.)
Had the same experience. The Hudz hoods are too soft. They wear away much faster than the original Campy hoods. I went back to Campy.
dorkypants is offline  
Old 10-13-19, 05:50 PM
  #3  
sumgy
Senior Member
 
sumgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Well, not precisely. The shift lever on my right 10-speed Record shifter (2001-03 vintage) is actually plastic, but they're carbon shifters. So that counts right? This isn't click bait, is it?

It just snapped when I went to downshift. It's on the town bike that I get groceries with, a bike that features a very lax maintenance schedule and gets ridden through winter and stored in an unheated shed, which probably explains why there has been more resistance in the shifting lately. Still, I'm disappointed.

Then again, this provides me with an opportunity/excuse to get some new shifters, so there's that.
That piece is replaceable you know.
No need to replace the entire shifter.
Get that piece replaced and a decent service and you will fine.
sumgy is offline  
Likes For sumgy:
Old 10-13-19, 06:39 PM
  #4  
rousseau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 2,803
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy View Post
That piece is replaceable you know.
No need to replace the entire shifter.
Get that piece replaced and a decent service and you will fine.
D'oh. Not sure I was aware of that. Will have to investigate.
rousseau is offline  
Old 10-13-19, 06:46 PM
  #5  
sumgy
Senior Member
 
sumgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
D'oh. Not sure I was aware of that. Will have to investigate.
https://branfordbike.com/ergo-shifter-parts
sumgy is offline  
Likes For sumgy:
Old 10-13-19, 06:51 PM
  #6  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants View Post
Had the same experience. The Hudz hoods are too soft. They wear away much faster than the original Campy hoods. I went back to Campy.
Far and Near brand hoods are a lot better than those.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 10-13-19, 06:59 PM
  #7  
sumgy
Senior Member
 
sumgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants View Post
Had the same experience. The Hudz hoods are too soft. They wear away much faster than the original Campy hoods. I went back to Campy.
Aren't there 2 different compounds?
One is softer, (and flimsy from experience).
The other is much more sturdy.




Last edited by sumgy; 10-13-19 at 07:08 PM.
sumgy is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 06:40 AM
  #8  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 937

Bikes: TCR Adv. Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 174 Posts
That's it!! Carbon Fibre IS dangerous.
eduskator is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 01:24 PM
  #9  
Jon T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: West Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,107

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
There's no such thing as an "asplosion". "Asplosion" is lazy-talk for "Explosion". There are "Explosions" and "Implosions" but no "Asplosions". It's simple grammar school semantics. Don't believe me, look it up.
Jon
Jon T is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 01:30 PM
  #10  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,203

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
There's no such thing as an "asplosion". "Asplosion" is lazy-talk for "Explosion". There are "Explosions" and "Implosions" but no "Asplosions". It's simple grammar school semantics. Don't believe me, look it up.
Jon
You must be a hoot at parties.
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 10-15-19, 01:30 PM
  #11  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 626 Posts
It's Ricky Ricardo talk, if I'm not mistaken. Also it sounds vaguely like flatulence, it's a fun word. For those two reasons. it's probably next on the list to get banned.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-15-19, 06:46 PM
  #12  
Jon T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: West Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,107

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
You must be a hoot at parties.
​​​​I haven't been to a "party" in 30-plus years. It's by choice, not by un-invitation. I hate crowds.
Jon
Jon T is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 06:53 PM
  #13  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,203

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
​​​​I haven't been to a "party" in 30-plus years. It's by choice, not by un-invitation. I hate crowds.
Jon
Sounds like a win-win for everyone.
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 10-16-19, 04:07 AM
  #14  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,244

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
There's no such thing as an "asplosion". Don't believe me, look it up.
Jon
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=Asplosion

Not to be confused with assplosion.
znomit is offline  
Likes For znomit:
Old 10-16-19, 09:38 AM
  #15  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 937

Bikes: TCR Adv. Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 174 Posts
eduskator is offline  
Old 10-16-19, 10:35 AM
  #16  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 937

Bikes: TCR Adv. Pro 0 / Revolt 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Sounds like a win-win for everyone.


Also sounds like an asplosion of fun to hang out with that guy!
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.