Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you wave?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Do you wave?
yes
66.19%
no
5.04%
maybe
24.46%
whatever
4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wave?

Old 02-08-06, 07:08 AM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I usually nod or move my hand without taking it off the bars. I like to have full control of the bike!
Old 02-08-06, 07:29 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wave to everybody! Not just other bicyclists but joggers, walkers, folks crossing the street, people driving that pass me safely and courteously, even macho rednecks who try to intimidate me with their power-stroke diesel pickups! They honk and rev the engine and I wave 'high' once they get around me! I also make small talk when the opportunity arises. I talk to little kids in the back seats of cars stopped next to me if the window is down and they are looking over. Or, I just wave and smile if the window is up. I talk to folks at bus stops....anybody really! I like to greet my fellow humans.

One time I was on the club/team ride with about 10 other mates heading north on the shoulder of Hanover Pike just south of Hampstead, MD. It was a pretty nasty day - windy and mid-40's. A pack of about 30 Harley-riding motorcyclists came up from behind and slowed down to pass. The first guy looked over, and gave us the 'V' hand signal. Then every one of the motorcyclists including the women on the back gave us the 'V' signal and we gave it back!

Brothers and sisters of the road.....
Old 02-08-06, 09:47 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
I wave at almost everybody.

Still, I speak to stangers sometimes and they ignore me. I don't blame them, I might be a pervert!
When I lived in a Florida condo , my neighbor in the condo refused to talk to me or seemingly almost everyone. Just haughty. I was the friendliest to her of almost anyone I knew. After about half a year, she started talking and became a nice person.
Old 02-08-06, 10:09 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, slvoid posted in a topic of mine! What an honor!

There's a guy who passes me in the morning so fast I barely see him go by. He always road an unpainted bike.

About a month ago this guy goes whizzing by me on the most gorgeous orange bike with beautiful decal work. It was him!

I've been watching my rear-view mirror for weeks now so as to be able to tell him what a nice paint job. For weeks I either wouldn't see him or he'd catch me by surprise and go by so quickly I couldn't get out my compliment. Today I finally saw him in time, and got to tell him, "Cool paint job!" before he was a mile ahead of me. I think I made his day! At least it made mine.
Old 02-08-06, 12:15 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
I like to wave to motorists who are jerks. It often diffuses the situation, makes them feel silly, and doesn't make me mad for the rest of my ride.
+1

And I nod or smile at other cyclists, even other roadies Diane.
Old 02-08-06, 12:21 PM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wave to the ones I recognize (which is quite a bit) especially if it's raining or cold.
Old 02-08-06, 01:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 895 Posts
I wave at everybody.

(BTW: I am a Latino guy who, more often than not, is on a road bike going as fast as I can. Do these cancel out so that the OP would wave at me?)
Old 02-08-06, 01:10 PM
chancho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wave to fellow cyclists (except delivery messengers, who never acknowledge anyone else) and courteous motorists. I find it amazing that even in NYC, where nastiness and rudeness are often the norm, fellow cyclists that I've never met will wave and say hi.
Old 02-08-06, 03:16 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually don't wave at roadies because they're usually nose-to-the-grindstone hammering it out and don't see me do it.

I usually don't wave at Latino guys, except for some of the regulars I see, because a lot of them get the wrong idea. Sorry about that. It's just my personal experience.

I also like to wave at homeless, alcoholics and mentally ill homeless people. They seem to like it.
Old 02-08-06, 03:43 PM
Primevci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
I do what I can to acknowledge everyone I encounter. I pay particular attntion to drivers of vehicles which yeild me my right of way at intersections and driveways, etc entering my roadway.

The only real exceptions are cyclists whom I have learned never acknowledge a greeting of any kind. Strangest example of this is an elderly couple who ride daily in my neighborhood. They ignore everyone.

Otherwise, everyone gets at least a wave of the hand while resting on the hood.
Yea i am the same, kinda like a postive reinforcement so they keep doing it... "drivers"
Old 02-08-06, 04:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I also like to wave at homeless, alcoholics and mentally ill homeless people. They seem to like it.
I frequently nod rather than waving if passing at close range and give a verbal greeting if that seems appropriate -- with few exceptions, all people seem to like it. I take special care to be courteous with those who live outdoors since I encounter them in the dark *or where no one else can see) far to frequently to risk ticking them off.
Old 02-08-06, 04:36 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, around these parts coming upon another rider is a rarity, one that calls for a small celebration of stopping and shooting the stuff for a few minutes!!
Old 02-08-06, 05:03 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya... i wave.. but then... there are only a total of about 10 (if that) riders in the area! if i know the person i say hi by name (and then usually have to stop and talk! lol!)

i always say hi to runners (or good morning .. afternoon.. whatever) sometimes they acknowledge me.. sometimes they just run on by)
Old 02-08-06, 05:35 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ring my bell, wave, or nod.
Other recumbent riders always get the bell and a wave.

Roadie riders get the bell as I pass them.
Old 02-08-06, 05:57 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
I give a nod or a small wave to most riders. If I'm sitting more upright on a cool down I'll give a bigger wave if it seems the other rider is doing the same. I love rolling up next to cars with kids in the back, they're all waving at me like I'm famous or something. That or they think I'm wierd looking and they want my attntion so they can laugh more. lol.
Old 02-08-06, 06:16 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a reflex action. I can not not wave. Unless you're in NYC or somewhere there are thousands and thousands of people where it is imposible to wave at each one. It's seems strange to me that someone doesn't wave. Sometimes I like to torment them with a little extra waving and couple of strategically placed hellos.
Old 02-08-06, 06:38 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9889 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
I love rolling up next to cars with kids in the back, they're all waving at me like I'm famous or something. That or they think I'm wierd looking and they want my attntion so they can laugh more. lol.
Love that too... I have a "road runner" jersey I wear from time to time... and that seems to really get the kids' attention.
Old 02-08-06, 09:18 PM
cruentus
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
There's only 1 type of wave in new york city...
+1

You all know the stereotype about people from New York and New Jersey not being friendly? Well, stereotypes are stereotypes because they are true.
Old 02-08-06, 11:36 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wave? What kind of a pansy thing is that? It's all about the manly, barely perceptible nod (ladies too).

Seriously... I usually do the nod thing but I wave from time to time. I'll especially wave to or amiably salute drivers who behave courteously. There's another kind of salute for jerks behind the wheel...
Old 02-09-06, 06:34 AM
JRA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, somebody finally voted "whatever".

I'll make it two.

Whatever.

I wave, nod, smile, say, "hey, how's it going?".

Whatever.

It's common courtesy that has nothing to do with being in a bicycle "club". I also talk to people in the waiting room at the dentist's office.

I'm as free as a breeze
And I ride where I please
Saddle tramp, saddle tramp
Old 02-09-06, 09:26 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 933 Posts
To everyone, on bike, on foot, car (when at human scale speed)

Al
Old 02-09-06, 09:49 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 114 Posts
I notice the more plastic clothing the other cyclists are wearing, the less likely they are to wave. If I'm on my tourer I am ignored if I am on my recumbent I get gawked at.

I usually wave or nod my head, if only to embarrass the other party.
Old 02-09-06, 09:51 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wave to most cyclists and many pedestrians. Motorists, rarely, they get confused, and in LA might return fire .
Old 02-09-06, 10:17 AM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a friendly guy, I wave if it seems appropriate and I am paying attention. Sometimes, I suspect that I am in my own world, where others see me, but I am thinking about work, my next burrito, my daughters, my wife, how fast I am going, how close I am to that bus, if the Steelers will win again next year and on and on.
Old 02-09-06, 02:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
Motorcyclists do it. Do you?

Do you wave to other cyclists? Do you wave to all cyclists or just certain ones? Are there some you never wave to?

I wave at my fellow commuters in the morning--the ones I recognize--and to any other recumbent rider I see. It's camraderie. I usually don't wave to road bikers hunched over trying to go as fast as they can, or to Latino guys (sorry!) I always wave to little kids when I'm on my recumbent. They LOVE it. They think I'm a rock star.

Anyway, do you wave? Do you think it's important to do
?
I only wave to roadies and Latinos.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.