Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about hunting?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How do you feel about hunting?

Old 09-30-20, 12:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3987 Post(s)
Liked 1,772 Times in 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
I'd like to hunt "the most dangerous game."
Viruses?
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-30-20, 12:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 618 Posts
Before, we used every part of the buffalo, but the white men shoot them only for their wings.

I think hunting is pretty ridiculous, but mostly in the same way most hobbies are. The recent grim march of large game extinction is only the bitter end of what we’ve been doing since the Pleistocene. Nearly everything else has been either killed off or over fed by the replacement of prairie with neat rows of crops, with the occasional city for flavor
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-30-20, 05:24 AM
ahsposo 
Rock Hard Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5173 Post(s)
Liked 2,285 Times in 1,367 Posts

thefarside.com
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 09-30-20, 07:43 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by fords4life View Post
Some very broad generalizations in this thread so far. I hunt and am proud to do so. If I kill it, I know how it's been handled and it's as organic as it gets. Hunting and fishing to feed your family, friends, etc. is as natural as it gets and is good for the environment. We always pick up trash if we see it out hunting, or even out target shooting for that matter.
I wouldn't totally give a pass to thinking eating hunted meat is always safe and 'organic'

One example:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...at/2926840002/
Old 09-30-20, 07:51 AM
fords4life

Bikes: '20 Trek DS1, '84 Raleigh Prestige

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
I wouldn't totally give a pass to thinking eating hunted meat is always safe and 'organic'

One example:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...at/2926840002/
What does CWD have to do with being organic or safe? If you're in an area where CWD has been found, you get the animal tested before you consume, simple as that. CWD is yet another reason for responsible herd management. It's been proven time and time again that over crowding of herds causes CWD to explode in populations. Still no known cases of CWD transferring to humans either, although there is a human version called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. CWD is nasty stuff in deer and elk populations though and is something I hope they can find a way to eradicate.
Old 09-30-20, 07:57 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

It means that when you shoot something in the woods and intend to eat it ... don't assume you got the holy grail of goodness. That's all.

Originally Posted by fords4life View Post
What does CWD have to do with being organic or safe? If you're in an area where CWD has been found, you get the animal tested before you consume, simple as that. CWD is yet another reason for responsible herd management. It's been proven time and time again that over crowding of herds causes CWD to explode in populations. Still no known cases of CWD transferring to humans either, although there is a human version called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. CWD is nasty stuff in deer and elk populations though and is something I hope they can find a way to eradicate.
Old 09-30-20, 12:29 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Food

They got magnificent healthy Whitetail up here. I guess the winters keep them from overpopulating. But I don't really like gamey venison except in chili and jerky. What I like is elk. But once you shoot one at their dusk watering hole they won't be there through at least the next couple of hunting seasons. Uncanny how savvy to that they are. The cows are who decides where they go, not the bulls, and they know when the season starts and stops.
Old 09-30-20, 12:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
It means that when you shoot something in the woods and intend to eat it ... don't assume you got the holy grail of goodness. That's all.
Same with drinking water in the woods.
Old 09-30-20, 12:56 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Old 09-30-20, 01:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post

correct. the overall quality of water in some states varies greatly compared to other states and so does the need to filter/purification

FWIW - I am not anti hunting. I am more of an 'agnostic' on this issue :-)
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 09-30-20, 02:01 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
When did drinking water give someone an incurable prion disease?
Old 09-30-20, 02:26 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
When did drinking water give someone an incurable prion disease?
Simply agreeing with PedalingWalrus' comment " . . . something in the woods and intend to eat it* ... don't assume you got the holy grail of goodness".

*or drink

Reminds me why I drink beer in some countries.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-30-20, 03:00 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
I'd like to hunt "the most dangerous game."
I very much enjoy hunting other humans with a paintball marker.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-30-20, 03:48 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4872 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 916 Posts
Backcountry water even after filtration/purification can also be highly mineralized resulting in vomiting or worse contain arsenic.
Old 09-30-20, 07:08 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
As a youth I was on a farm with 2 shallow ponds and plenty of timber. I done the hunting and think I done it well. Rabbits and squirrel were often on the table. During the spring and fall Mallards were harvested. My uncle had a fish market on the Mississippi that kept us in fish when the bite was off for us.
Tonight we had a fine meal of bluegill fillets and Squash. (I didn't shoot the squash) lol .
The small town I live in has a law against trapping. ( includes live traps) the squirrels here are literally starving. They eat there way into trash cans and eves of roofs to make nests. The coons strip the fruit trees for anything for food.
For those of you that don't believe hunting should exist in any form .---- Be careful what you wish for.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 09-30-20, 09:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77 View Post
As a youth I was on a farm with 2 shallow ponds and plenty of timber. I done the hunting and think I done it well. Rabbits and squirrel were often on the table. During the spring and fall Mallards were harvested. My uncle had a fish market on the Mississippi that kept us in fish when the bite was off for us.
Tonight we had a fine meal of bluegill fillets and Squash. (I didn't shoot the squash) lol .
The small town I live in has a law against trapping. ( includes live traps) the squirrels here are literally starving. They eat there way into trash cans and eves of roofs to make nests. The coons strip the fruit trees for anything for food.
For those of you that don't believe hunting should exist in any form .---- Be careful what you wish for.
I was setting a Catch em Alive trap for the pesky armadillo that was tearing up the yard. But kept catching the outside cats.. Was going to release the armadillo in a local creek where there is plenty of stuff to eat that isn’t my yard.
Old 10-01-20, 12:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 2,797 Posts
Hipster season opens Monday.
Old 10-01-20, 12:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 2,797 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Backcountry water even after filtration/purification can also be highly mineralized resulting in vomiting or worse contain arsenic.
I won't drink the water from anywhere near old mining claims. In some places I'll drink right out of the creek.
Old 10-01-20, 01:10 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
We pump water directly from an underground stream and drink it unfiltered. My only regret it that it doesn't have fluoride.

#PreciousBodilyFluids
#BrainEatingAmoebas
Likes For wgscott:
Old 10-01-20, 06:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Hipster season opens Monday.

Old 10-01-20, 07:09 AM
Morg33

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I don't like hunting because it means hurt animals, I love animals too much to kill them. Also hate when hunters take pictures with dead bodies. (I am not attacking or judging anyone, only my thoughts)
Old 10-01-20, 07:49 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Food

They got magnificent healthy Whitetail up here. I guess the winters keep them from overpopulating. But I don't really like gamey venison except in chili and jerky. What I like is elk. But once you shoot one at their dusk watering hole they won't be there through at least the next couple of hunting seasons. Uncanny how savvy to that they are. The cows are who decides where they go, not the bulls, and they know when the season starts and stops.

Yes, it is astounding how perceptive they are to danger. I hunt my yard in season with a bow. Right this moment I guarantee I could walk out and there are likely 12-15 of them laying in the woodline. The moment one gets taken they will change their movement to only be active around here during the dark up till season is over...then they will be right back.

As to "gaminess" there are a couple of points. If you spook a deer don't take it. Adrenaline ruins the flavor. In the case that you did, try soaking in (there are a few) a brine mix (or) buttermilk/regular milk (or) my favorite cola to use is Dr Pepper. You will find that if you drop it straight off, it never was alerted, that the meat is totally different and FAR FAR better.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 10-01-20, 08:44 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

I might mention that I no longer need to hunt. I do fish often. When I was hunting there were no deer here yet. The deer came in in the late 60s and later to a lesser extent the mtn. lion followed.
I am more than ready to start frying an end to the squirrel problem though.
I the area where I live we don't take well to people burning our downtowns. I'd bet my red hat it won't start here. To many hunters.
Old 10-01-20, 10:01 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 1,163 Posts
Yup I love to fish mostly catch and release. I will keep a few for CPR Catch and Release then into the Grease. Funny thing I witness was a friend that shot a squirrel on my old ranch. Cooked it halfway then tried to serve it to his wife She blew a gasket and sent us to the local burger joint. A few months later she filed for divorce and I told him don’t ask me to testify on your behalf because I’m not going to lie. The squirrel looked like a skinned half cooked rat on a plate. I wouldn’t eat that thing either. He said she went home for the weekend and never came back. I was like what did you expect? Thank goodness their daughter came out great because of her mother and no diet of half cooked squirrels...
Old 10-01-20, 07:41 PM
Olefeller77 

That is some funny stuff there. Half cooked I couldn't tolerate. I might not be able to eat squirrel these days . Last time for me was around 40 yrs ago and lard was the lube of choice for frying most things. That lard upped the flavor on most things. As I recall squirrel was delicious for my younger tastes and long days of hard honest work might have kept the arteries open. lol . I better check local and see if the squirrels here have personal injury lawyers to protect them from folks like me. lol
Likes For Olefeller77:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.