Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Going into a movie with no expectations and getting floored

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Going into a movie with no expectations and getting floored

Old 10-02-20, 12:42 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
My parents had the usual low end models offered by Zenith or RCA of the 1970s. I remember us having our 1st color TV in 1972 when we moved to a new city when I was 7 years old. We got a 2nd TV a few years later because my dad broke the 1st one out of frustration with it not bringing in a football game clearly.
When I was a student I lived in a neighbourhood that was so working class that lots of people didn't work at all but were on benefits. There was a shop in this neighbourhood that sold used televisions for what would now be about 50 euro's for the cheapest. But that shop somehow had some connection to the village nearby that's extremely wealthy and there was a B&O on offer regularly, always in the lowest price category. For some reason no one of the usual custumors trusted the brand. All my friends and student houses had the same 50 euro Philips and Sony's wich were just solid and I would have this huge but slender Danish design B&O with piano lacquer, two threeway speakers on the side and a heavy brushed aluminum remote that looked like something from an SF-movie in my rather unempressive student room. Later on I got a studio with a bath, and had a habit of wheeling it over the treshold so I could watch tv from the bath, they are well made but a bit fragile to shocks so that's probably what wore them down fast. But almost everytime I went back to the shop there was another B&O on offer for the same low price. I believe I have owned about all the models B&O produced in the 80's and 90's and I really didn't see any reason to buy a new television when I could afford it because they weren't as good or good looking as the 20 year old high end stuff I could buy this cheap. This was really fancy gear, new these B&O's would be between 4000 and 6000 euro's in today's money.

That's how I fell in love with the brand. Then I got a bit carried away with my insight in high end vintage and the idea the television was nearing perfection and would change much, so I bought a new one (on a discount) that would fit great in my appartement and had a remote operated rotating stand, and would last 20 years. Shortly after digital television and flatscreen became big. I'm still hanging on to it because it fits nicely in the corner and the contracter who build my appartment in an old building went bust without mapping the elektricity, water and gas lines so I'm really not looking forward to fixing a flat screen to a wall. So I guess I'll keep watching movies on a small screen for a while.
Old 10-02-20, 02:11 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 409 Posts
Another movie that I think falls into this category for me: The Pentagon Wars.

Comedy, yes, but so much of it is based on what really happened that the comedy is just absurd...in a good way.
Old 10-02-20, 06:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Back in the mid-1970s, facing another day of mid-summer boredom, some friends and I went to the local discount 'art' theater and paid $1.50 to see a movie called 'Once Upon a Time in the West' starring Charles Bronson (so we knew it would have some cool action scenes). . Holy smokes that was entertaining! .
OMG Claudia Cardinale. Sigh....
Likes For cooker:
Old 10-02-20, 06:43 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 310 Posts
Being There
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-02-20, 09:35 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Being There
"I understand."

The "yoga" scene is, um ... a scream.

Definitely one of my favorite films.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-04-20, 10:43 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 98 Posts
The year was 1977, and some friends talked me into going to see some movie called "Star Wars".
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 10-04-20, 12:01 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
"I understand."

The "yoga" scene is, um ... a scream.

Yep, a real classic. Friggin' hilarious movie.
How about the scene in the bedroom where Shirley MacLaine's character tries to seduce Chauncy?
Another was at the party with the gay guy sizing him up -- "I like to watch"
Still another - when the black ex-maid gives a personal commentary about Chauncy when she sees him on television newscast with the President.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-04-20, 01:19 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Yep, a real classic. Friggin' hilarious movie.

How about the scene in the bedroom where Shirley MacLaine's character tries to seduce Chauncy?
Another was at the party with the gay guy sizing him up -- "I like to watch"
Still another - when the black ex-maid gives a personal commentary about Chauncy when she sees him on television newscast with the President.
She's coming on to him, he tells her he likes "to watch" (by which he means he's trying to watch TV) ... which she takes to mean she should go "solo." Which she proceeds to do, at the side of the bed. All the while, puddin' for brains goes ass over tip doing yoga with the TV.

"... no brains at all. Was stuffed with rice puddin' 'tween th' ears."

"You go tell ... um ... Rafael ... to get his butt down here and tell me hisself."

Or, the outtakes, at the end of the film. Sellers cracks up constantly. Must have been awfully difficult to keep a straight face during production.

Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-04-20, 06:30 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
I knew that was going to be a great movie going to see it, and thought it was outstanding.
Old 10-05-20, 12:32 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Ray

Having by chance, seen it without having read any reviews of it, was floored by Jamie Foxx's performance as Ray Charles. I guess he wound up with an Oscar for that as he should.

Paper Moon

Madeline Kahn at her very best . . . as an actress

Last edited by Zinger; 10-05-20 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 10-05-20, 12:47 PM
Clyde1820

Cromwell (1970) -- starring Richard Harris (as Oliver Cromwell), Alec Guinness.

Just recently saw this for the first time. Had seen snippets, here and there, but never watched the whole film. No expectations other than knowing it was considered a "classic" and that I'd never seen it. I suppose that I figured with Richard Harris and Alec Guinness in strong roles in a great film, it couldn't be bad. Very well done, I thought.

And it was the earliest movie I've seen that had Timothy Dalton in a leading role. He was only 24yrs of age, in that one. Looks more "seasoned" these days, to be sure, but darned if he doesn't look largely the same. Some folks have all the luck.
Old 10-05-20, 12:49 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Ray

Having by chance, seen it without having read any reviews of it, was floored by Jamie Foxx's performance as Ray Charles. I guess he wound up with an Oscar for that as he should.
And apparently Jamie Foxx has classical piano training in his youth, so he was able to work directly with RC and do nearly all (or perhaps all) of the piano performances himself.

Great film. Seemed very true-to-life, covering (by request) the man's highs and lows ... warts and all.
Old 12-30-20, 04:36 PM
Zedoo
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
The Delicate Art of the Rifle, The Grass Is Greener, Stanley and Iris, and Running On Empty.
Old 12-31-20, 01:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 621 Posts
Reading back through this thread I realized that its been 21 years - since The Phantom Menace - since Ive been impressed by any special effects or stunts. Once they can put anything on the screen, there was no point being impressed any more. As a late Gen Xer I was prime age through the rise of computer effects, from the video game stuff in Star Wars to T2 to Jurassic Park, but meanwhile there were so many cool puppets and costumes and tricks. Like in Empire Strikes Back, Vader levitating the gun from Han Solo was done by yanking the gun out of Vaders hand with a string, then running the film backward. They had to turn the camera upside down so it would splice in correctly. Nothing like that any more. All green screens. It makes the story more important.
Old 01-04-21, 09:02 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 62 Posts
The movie that really caught me off guard in the theatre was Babe, seriously. So much to like on the big screen. I encouraged my wife to watch it with me later on television and it wasn't nearly as good.