Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about hunting?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How do you feel about hunting?

Old 10-01-20, 08:00 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 367 Posts
Some years ago we were at a Kentucky State Park on a tour. The park ranger made a big deal about how there's no hunting allowed, that you shouldn't even squish a molehill in the park, because it's their home not ours. Going a bit far to make a point, he said even the mosquitoes were safe. So my six year old's hand shot up immediately. The ranger seemed happy the audience was paying attention. "Why", asked my son, "do you allow fishing?" And that's how you stump a State Park Ranger.

Good times.

Edit: after further thought, it was a National Park and a National Park Ranger.

Last edited by downtube42; 10-01-20 at 08:25 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-01-20, 11:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Some years ago we were at a Kentucky State Park on a tour. The park ranger made a big deal about how there's no hunting allowed, that you shouldn't even squish a molehill in the park, because it's their home not ours. Going a bit far to make a point, he said even the mosquitoes were safe. So my six year old's hand shot up immediately. The ranger seemed happy the audience was paying attention. "Why", asked my son, "do you allow fishing?" And that's how you stump a State Park Ranger.

Good times.

Edit: after further thought, it was a National Park and a National Park Ranger.
I donít have any feelings either
Old 10-02-20, 04:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 791 Posts
Back to the Hunt.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-04-20, 08:47 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 709 Posts
Nothing like a fall walk in the woods bird hunting

Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-04-20, 10:56 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Yup I miss dove hunting. Wrap the dove breast in bacon and jalapeŮo put them on the grill. Eat with an ice cold beer. Fun times...
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-05-20, 01:46 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 159 Posts
I was going to mention to one of the above posters...

Skin that squirrel and put him on a spit over the fire with some Bullseye BBQ sauce. YUM!
Old 10-07-20, 03:07 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Just trapping mice can teach you a little bit about hunting. You have to find out what the pathways are from a mouse nest to where he feeds to get the best results or you could go forever without a trap getting sprung.

I like to find a game animal's watering holes and the pathways they use to get there. Generally animals like to water at dusk. Antelope, for instance like horse troughs when they're available and they might find some loose barbed wire along a fence line to duck through to get there. If you can scout their rout you can set up for a heart shot behind the tumbleweeds along the fence line maybe as close as 150 yards away from their habitual exit path through the fence. That's when they slow down . . . when they're squeezing through the barbed wire to keep from getting cut. They don't waste energy leaping if they don't think they have to. You want to make your ambush spot upwind from them.
Old 10-07-20, 03:55 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Old 10-07-20, 08:24 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 309 Posts
First of all, if you're hunting for food or culling varmints on your property... don't let me stand in your way.

Hunting, more specifically trophy hunting, is not what it used to be. Guides using GPS, only leaving your 5 star hotel when the Range Rover comes and takes you to a pre-fab blind... does not really bring to mind the true sport of hunting. The sums of money required for even a US based exotic animal shoot have to be extravagant to say the least. I do not consider any of that "hunting". That kind of "hunting" is just shameful.
Old 10-08-20, 08:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
First of all, if you're hunting for food or culling varmints on your property... don't let me stand in your way.

Hunting, more specifically trophy hunting, is not what it used to be. Guides using GPS, only leaving your 5 star hotel when the Range Rover comes and takes you to a pre-fab blind... does not really bring to mind the true sport of hunting. The sums of money required for even a US based exotic animal shoot have to be extravagant to say the least. I do not consider any of that "hunting". That kind of "hunting" is just shameful.
Even native species for trophy hunting can be priced into the realm of the well healed (sometimes called Heavy Hitters here). In South Texas, $10K to $15K for one large mature mule deer is not uncommon.
Old 10-08-20, 08:27 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post

There are a couple of the "pay to play" hunt clubs around this area. One of them, in particular, does a fox hunt where they capture a fox, bring to the property, and then set it loose for the hunt in an unknown (and fenced) area. I get it and all, but not super sporting of them. With that said, aside from dead on the side of the road I have rarely SEEN a fox in the wild around here. My first good look and multiple sighting of one was in this neighborhood while the fawning was happening.

A friend of mine came over yesterday. We were out back talking about the safe shooting lanes and here come the herd. He was able to pull out a ~100# doe in about 3 minutes of his time. Once again, not super sporting of us, but it's going to taste good. I am looking to have about 4-6 more does pulled out before the end of season. Maybe even that 8 point buck...
Old 10-08-20, 03:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

The deer on my place you could walk right over a hit them over the head with a stick They are more like pets with names like Starsky and Hutch. I feed them corn year around and just enjoy watching them as I sip a cold beer while listening to VH. The deer hear the music they know it’s corn time. If they get overpopulated I let some people shoot a few for meat. They were like I can’t shoot tame deer I said just considered it harvesting and not hunting.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-17-20, 02:13 PM
sjanzeir

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer; 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Hunting for food?
Only necessary when it's necessary in this day and age, I guess...

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Hunting for trophy?
I'd say it's compensating for some underdeveloped body parts (and/or their poorly written firmware.)
Old 10-17-20, 05:57 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 448 Posts
i like to shoot barn rats with my Crossman pellet pistol ............................. my hit rate is app 1 out of 400 the Rottie catches more than i hit
Old 10-17-20, 07:13 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
I support reasonable hunting. I've never taken a picture beside an animal I've killed and do not support trophy or pleasure hunting. Culls done when neccessary (like the Gov't sanctioned 5 million+ feral cats in Australia). Deer with a broken leg by traffic and other mercy takings are acceptible.
Old 10-17-20, 07:24 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
i like to shoot barn rats with my Crossman pellet pistol ............................. my hit rate is app 1 out of 400 the Rottie catches more than i hit
Get yourself a basic beginners 22 rifle (Marlin, Savage, others). Good used one can be picked up for $150. Use some inexpensive subsonic ammo and, with a little practice, you should be able to significantly reduce the rat population.
Old 10-18-20, 09:35 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by nondes View Post
Ontario has recently opened up a season for hunting cormorants, to "manage" the population, under pressure from the hunting and fishing folk. It's not even a managed cull. Hunting and fishing for food is OK, but cormorants are inedible. They have increased in numbers but are just reacting to the imbalances created by humans over the years.
Exactly, Im pretty sure if humans would stop screwing up the earth there would be no need for hunting for food or sport, but I honestly donít mind people hunting for food, as long as the animal being hunted is not endangered and bought down as humanely as humanly possible. 😉👍
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 10-19-20, 09:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13768 Post(s)
Liked 4,955 Times in 2,800 Posts
My cat brought me on a hunting trip.
Old 10-26-20, 10:24 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by YvonneAlsop View Post
I don't like hunting, I prefer fishing instead of it.

Guys that fish a lot usually know where the game waters at.