Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Beautiful Cars

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Beautiful Cars

Old 10-08-20, 08:18 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 122 Posts
That is an interesting bike. Leading link front forks, fully enclosed chain case: lots of interesting features. I didn't know Ariel did twins. I'm more familiar with Ariel Square Fours of that vintage. The Square Four referred to the engine: four cylinders arranged in a square.
Old 10-08-20, 08:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 372 Posts
Nothing comes close to the E Type.

If I were to venture back into car ownership, a 1938 dodge sedan would be top of the list.
Old 10-08-20, 10:56 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
I was sure there was a Beautiful Motorcyles thread somewhere, but I can't now find it.

So have a funky motorbike.

It turned up at the motorcyle workshop beside my studio/workshop.

"Ariel". Didn't get a chance to ask any details but guessing late 50s or early 60s. Nice treatment of the exhausts.
In my youth, I was fascinated with Ariel motorcycles with the Square Four engine, up until Honda came out with their 750 four cylinder.

Likes For roundypndr:
Old 10-08-20, 11:10 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
In general a golden age for American design imo. In cars there have been more than one.

No, it's not by coincidence the most art deco car.
I got to go for a ride in a Cord, and I had fun with the car's hand crank up head lights.
Old 10-09-20, 08:55 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I think they're English. Does the headlight switch offer 3 settings, dim, flicker and off?
I've never seen an English electrical system support anything but off and flicker. How do you get the upgrade to support an on mode?
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 10-09-20, 08:56 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
That is an interesting bike. Leading link front forks, fully enclosed chain case: lots of interesting features. I didn't know Ariel did twins. I'm more familiar with Ariel Square Fours of that vintage. The Square Four referred to the engine: four cylinders arranged in a square.
It also looks like a welded stamped steel monocoque frame.
Old 10-09-20, 01:12 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 87 Posts
I googled it.

1961 Ariel Arrow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Leader#Ariel_Arrow
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 10-09-20, 02:51 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
I've never seen an English electrical system support anything but off and flicker. How do you get the upgrade to support an on mode?
I hear it's still in beta testing.
Old 10-09-20, 04:03 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome View Post

A 650cc late '50s Ariel Cyclone vertical twin . . . Love me some Limey bikes.

And just to stay topical here's a late '50s Austin Healey 100-6 with a small block Chevy init

Last edited by Zinger; 10-09-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-09-20, 05:35 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
The 1930's were a golden age for luxury speedsters. This is not the one that I saw but you'll get the idea. This is a 1935 Auburn Speedster; If I were to win the lottery this would be among my first purchases:

In the early 80's I was a security guard at a private club. Once a month two old ladies would show up for a party in one of these. I don't know the back story but I figured they'd had the car since they were twenty something's. It was spectacular, and they still had some panache of their own.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-11-20, 07:45 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you fix all the corroded ground connections.
Letís you have cold beer in the refrigerator too.
Old 10-12-20, 09:28 AM
downtube42

After 30 years in embedded software, I've perfected a troubleshooting technique that rarely fails:
If there are wires involved, it's a wiring problem.
Corollary: if it's a wiring problem, it's probably a ground problem.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-12-20, 01:16 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
The 1930's were a golden age for luxury speedsters. This is not the one that I saw but you'll get the idea. This is a 1935 Auburn Speedster; If I were to win the lottery this would be among my first purchases:

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
In the early 80's I was a security guard at a private club. Once a month two old ladies would show up for a party in one of these. I don't know the back story but I figured they'd had the car since they were twenty something's. It was spectacular, and they still had some panache of their own.
When I was working in a carwash in the '70s poker champion Amarillo Slim Preston drove up in a '36 model with the Cummins roots supercharger (the side exhaust comes only on those models) wanting it detailed. They were bringing about a quarter million at the auctions then. He said he won it in a poker game.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 10-26-20, 03:05 AM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 800 (for the taller relatives), Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot attempt at a double-boinger. .

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
DSCN2129a by John Mortensen, on Flickr
Likes For mort1369:
Old 11-07-20, 09:27 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
As someone who drives a small sedan and loves it, the thought of an SUV for the room as appealing. But then I thought...if a sedan is so awesome and you want the space of an SUV, why not just get a wagon? And holy cow are there some legit wagons on the market:

Volvo V60 Polestar (half electric)

And even better (for double the price for the Volvo) is the outstanding Audi RS 6 Avant

I really think wagons will make a comeback in the next 3-10 years. Nothing beats being hugged to the road and having space in the back!
Likes For EJ123:
Old 11-08-20, 08:36 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by roundypndr View Post
I got to go for a ride in a Cord, and I had fun with the car's hand crank up head lights.
That's also what I like about this period, especially the Cord holding, they were already busy developping all kinds of modern luxuries and technologies for comfort and speed, but also still stuck with drum brakes, leaf springs, carburetors spilling fuel and hand cranks.
Old 11-08-20, 10:00 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

That's also what I like about this period, especially the Cord holding, they were already busy developping all kinds of modern luxuries and technologies for comfort and speed, but also still stuck with drum brakes, leaf springs, carburetors spilling fuel and hand cranks.
Similar to my experience of riding along with my friend's 67 Firebird 400, with both of us holding our breath in trying to slow down enough to make a slight turn in the road (4 wheel drum brakes), while traveling at a major rate of speed. Many years later, I got ride with the same friend, in his supercharged 2014 Camaro SS..... what a difference in feeling safer, more comfortable, and the first time that I got a mild whiplash from braking, at an even higher speed than the Firebird, when my friend knee jerked the brake pedal.
Old 11-08-20, 11:07 AM
Stadjer

Similar to my experience of riding along with my friend's 67 Firebird 400, with both of us holding our breath in trying to slow down enough to make a slight turn in the road (4 wheel drum brakes), while traveling at a major rate of speed. Many years later, I got ride with the same friend, in his supercharged 2014 Camaro SS..... what a difference in feeling safer, more comfortable, and the first time that I got a mild whiplash from braking, at an even higher speed than the Firebird, when my friend knee jerked the brake pedal.
Yes, but that's probably more a 'cultural' issue as in we want to go fast, not brake. Disc brakes had been mass produced for 12 years in 67. What I mean is that I recently watched Jay Leno's Garage on Yt about a Duesenberg (Cord owned) and that thing had DOHC and 4 valves per cilinder and Duesenber had done 3 valves per cilinder too, it had a kind of cruise control, it had different settings for the brakes for ice, wet and dry so they wouldn't lock up, .there were semi-automatic transmissions, FWD, and AC was beeing developped. OTOH they had no better idea than build extremely heavy for strenght. So it was very advanced in some area's, things I would have expected to be pioneered in the 60's and 70's, while other things were still almost 19th century.
Old 11-08-20, 11:19 AM
Mojo31

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 512 Posts
Beautiful cars are like beautiful women - a lot of them out there, but too expensive to try more than a few.
Old 11-08-20, 11:27 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Yes, but that's probably more a 'cultural' issue as in we want to go fast, not brake. Disc brakes had been mass produced for 12 years in 67. What I mean is that I recently watched Jay Leno's Garage on Yt about a Duesenberg (Cord owned) and that thing had DOHC and 4 valves per cilinder and Duesenber had done 3 valves per cilinder too, it had a kind of cruise control, it had different settings for the brakes for ice, wet and dry so they wouldn't lock up, .there were semi-automatic transmissions, FWD, and AC was beeing developped. OTOH they had no better idea than build extremely heavy for strenght. So it was very advanced in some area's, things I would have expected to be pioneered in the 60's and 70's, while other things were still almost 19th century.
Those technologies were expensive and harder to maintain, making it affordable only to the wealthy, and why the masses were stuck with cheaper dumbed down versions, until the costs came down to the point of their being able to be massed produced. The successful version of disc brakes were initially from aircraft designs, before being applied to automotive use.
Old 11-08-20, 12:45 PM
Stadjer

Those technologies were expensive and harder to maintain, making it affordable only to the wealthy, and why the masses were stuck with cheaper dumbed down versions, until the costs came down to the point of their being able to be massed produced. The successful version of disc brakes were initially from aircraft designs, before being applied to automotive use.
Citroen put disc brakes on the DS since 1955, front and rear. That was a mass produced affordable luxury car, it was revolutionary in every aspect but the engine and had more safety devices, but it wasn't a fast car nor a heavy car. It wouldn't have been strange at all for a heavy performance car to have at least disc brakes at the front a decade later, if the manufacturer or the customer would have cared about braking.
Old 11-09-20, 06:04 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 87 Posts
Another motorbike. Sorry - I have a bike mechanic beside my workshop....

This odd ball job came in for an MOT (the rerquired/annual UK inspection).

No idea what it started as (something cheap) but it is a 125cc that has been totally worked over by this guy. I think 125cc is the biggest bike you can ride when you first get your licence.

Custom farings and body work. Custom paint. The red stripes have a little red dot pattern in them that is cool enough, but then the LED brake light comes on! The individual LEDs are sort of camouflaged. Tail light and indicator lights are hidden at the back of the panel behind the seat.

Overall it was very impressive (even if not to your taste). Even more impressive since the guy is a chef and did this in his garage on weekends.

Sadly the guy failed the test because of the white lights on the number plate holder. The plate has been angled down and you are not allowed to show white lights to the rear.

The Fuel Tap. Of course.

Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 11-09-20, 09:08 AM
Mojo31

Some of my favorites.

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-09-20 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-09-20, 01:57 PM
Clyde1820

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Some of my favorites ...
Let me see if my memory's still workin' ...

Lamborghini Miura S
Porsche 918 Spyder
Porsche 356 Coupe (~1958?)
Chevrolet Corvette (1955?) (can't believe I typed in "thunderbird" there; not the '55, either)
Shelby AC Cobra 427
Ferrari Dino 246GT

Nice list. Beauties, each of them.
Old 11-09-20, 02:22 PM
Mojo31

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Let me see if my memory's still workin' ...

Lamborghini Miura S
Porsche 918 Spyder
Porsche 356 Coupe (~1958?)
Chevrolet Corvette (1955?) (can't believe I typed in "thunderbird" there; not the '55, either)
Shelby AC Cobra 427
Ferrari Dino 246GT

Nice list. Beauties, each of them.
Your memory is spot on, although I don't know the years of each of them.

That Cobra is an actual Cobra and not a replica. Hard to find those.

They are beauties, but unfortunately not my cars. Just my camera.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.