Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Old 10-29-20, 07:43 AM
  #1426  
dcee604
Junior Member
 
dcee604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 15

Bikes: Devinci Melbourne, Rocky Mountain Turbo, Trek Fuel90, Brodie Rocket, Giant road bike, Kuwahara BMX, Trek 7.5FX Disc, BRC Limelight, Bridgestone Wildwest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Italian models having serial numbers on the seat lug only occurred during the Piaggio era of the early 1980s. In the late 1980s, the Italian models started using the bottom bracket shell. Your bicycle definitely has an Italian manufactured frame. I'm assuming that the '1' is actually am 'I', which would make it a 1989-1987 or 1989-1990 model. Typically, it would be the former but we've seen cases where careless Bianchi employees have reversed the sequence.

Bianchi S/N did not include model indicators. To determine the model and which of the two scenarios fits best, we'll need more information and preferably pictures. Start with a list of the components and a description of the Bianchi logo style.
Thank you for the info! Here are the photos. Came with Modolo Start brakes, Corsa brake levers. Rear derailleur was swapped out by someone with a Shimano 105, and I can't tell what the front deraileur is. Cranks and shift levers have Bianchi stamped on them. No 'Bianchi' stamped on top of the seat stays, and no 'B' stamped on the fork crowns.

dcee604 is offline  
Old 10-29-20, 08:23 AM
  #1427  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by dcee604 View Post
Thank you for the info! Here are the photos. Came with Modolo Start brakes, Corsa brake levers. Rear derailleur was swapped out by someone with a Shimano 105, and I can't tell what the front deraileur is. Cranks and shift levers have Bianchi stamped on them. No 'Bianchi' stamped on top of the seat stays, and no 'B' stamped on the fork crowns.
Based on the decals it should be 1986-1987 With the exception of the rear derailleur and rims, it looks like a 1987 Campione d'Italia. Normally, 1987 models are readily identifiable by a rectangular Campione del Mondo decal on the down just above the shift lever bosses. This is absent on your bicycle but it looks like there could be an outline where the decal was.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-30-20, 06:22 PM
  #1428  
dcee604
Junior Member
 
dcee604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 15

Bikes: Devinci Melbourne, Rocky Mountain Turbo, Trek Fuel90, Brodie Rocket, Giant road bike, Kuwahara BMX, Trek 7.5FX Disc, BRC Limelight, Bridgestone Wildwest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you T-Mar!
Here's another one for you to identify! Just picked up today, unfortunately a bit sun faded...but let's just call it patina.
56cm frame, has Made in Italy sticker, Modolo Quattro brake calipers, Premier derailleurs, Columbus stamped on the drop outs on the fork. Has modern wheels again, but 6spd on the rear.




dcee604 is offline  
Old 11-01-20, 02:55 PM
  #1429  
tonytuzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help identifying eBay find

I’m new, so can’t post pics or url. It’s eBay item

164445346044

serial number 160 021

i think it’s a ‘75-‘77 Specialissima that got a few new braze-ons when it was resprayed.

thoughts?
tonytuzz is offline  
Old 11-01-20, 04:07 PM
  #1430  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by dcee604 View Post
Thank you T-Mar!
Here's another one for you to identify! Just picked up today, unfortunately a bit sun faded...but let's just call it patina.
56cm frame, has Made in Italy sticker, Modolo Quattro brake calipers, Premier derailleurs, Columbus stamped on the drop outs on the fork. Has modern wheels again, but 6spd on the rear.
It's another 1987 Bianchenstein. This one appears to be the Canadian market Squadra.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-01-20, 05:51 PM
  #1431  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by tonytuzz View Post
I’m new, so can’t post pics or url. It’s eBay item

164445346044

serial number 160 021

i think it’s a ‘75-‘77 Specialissima that got a few new braze-ons when it was resprayed.

thoughts?
The serial number doesn't make sense. Even if they added some braze-ons and repainted, I doubt they would have changed the dropouts. The drive side dropout has the Portacetena bosses and holes, indicating no earlier than the autumn of 1977. Most manufacturers started phasing out Portacatena circa 1983. Also, I doubt they added the embossed stay caps. I'm not seeing any counterbore in the fork crown for recessed brake nuts. I'd place it circa 1979-1980. Model identification is more difficult but the reinforcing tangs on the chain stay bridge suggests high end.

If you won the auction, more information, once you receive the frame, may allow us to make a more informed assessment. If you didn't win the auction, it's irrelevant.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-01-20, 07:19 PM
  #1432  
tonytuzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
If you won the auction, more information, once you receive the frame, may allow us to make a more informed assessment. If you didn't win the auction, it's irrelevant.
Thanks! I did win. Will post up more once I have it.
tonytuzz is offline  
Old 11-01-20, 08:27 PM
  #1433  
dcee604
Junior Member
 
dcee604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 15

Bikes: Devinci Melbourne, Rocky Mountain Turbo, Trek Fuel90, Brodie Rocket, Giant road bike, Kuwahara BMX, Trek 7.5FX Disc, BRC Limelight, Bridgestone Wildwest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
It's another 1987 Bianchenstein. This one appears to be the Canadian market Squadra.
Ah great! So that's what the sticker reads on the top tube! Thank you again. It is running decent as is, so will just probably ride it as is.
dcee604 is offline  
Old 11-04-20, 05:37 PM
  #1434  
tonytuzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonytuzz View Post
Thanks! I did win. Will post up more once I have it.
Here we go:
1B9 021

The B could also be an R

And on the left edge of the BB:
O
B
R
Y

What do you think?

Last edited by tonytuzz; 11-04-20 at 05:40 PM.
tonytuzz is offline  
Old 11-05-20, 08:12 AM
  #1435  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by tonytuzz View Post
Here we go:
1B9 021

The B could also be an R

And on the left edge of the BB:
O
B
R
Y

What do you think?
At this point, all I can state is that it would appear to have been manufactured very early in a year that ends with a '1". We'll need photographs or a more complete description of frame features and/or components in order to try to determine the decade.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-05-20, 10:59 AM
  #1436  
tonytuzz
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
At this point, all I can state is that it would appear to have been manufactured very early in a year that ends with a '1". We'll need photographs or a more complete description of frame features and/or components in order to try to determine the decade.
Fair enough and thanks. I need to up my post count so I can post pics and links.

It does have recessed brake bolts. Also, there's an embossed circle B seat stay caps with a short flat section. The thing that was throwing me off was the fork crown, which with no circle around the B, normally goes with a downtube lug that also has a B where mine just has a triangular cutout.

I found an identical frame in the restorations done by velociao.com identified as an '81 CDM 12v. ALL of the details match my frame, with the exception of the braze-on front derailleur hanger which was likely added later.
tonytuzz is offline  
Old 11-06-20, 05:29 AM
  #1437  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by tonytuzz View Post
Fair enough and thanks. I need to up my post count so I can post pics and links.

It does have recessed brake bolts. Also, there's an embossed circle B seat stay caps with a short flat section. The thing that was throwing me off was the fork crown, which with no circle around the B, normally goes with a downtube lug that also has a B where mine just has a triangular cutout.

I found an identical frame in the restorations done by velociao.com identified as an '81 CDM 12v. ALL of the details match my frame, with the exception of the braze-on front derailleur hanger which was likely added later.
Based on the serial number, seat stay cap embossing (B within a circle) and the recessed brakes nuts, it should be a 1981 frame. The clincher would be the presence of Campagnolo dropouts with holes for the Portacatena chain holder, as these were introduced in late 1977 and disappeared in around 1983 (it varied a bit, depending on the amount of inventory that bicycle manufacturers had in stock). As you noted, 1981 would be too early for a brazed-on front derailleur hanger.

The Italian manufactured models for the USA market didn't have the serial numbers on the BB shell during this period, so I'm assuming it's foreign market. Foreign market models often varied in both features and model names from the American models with which most members are familiar. Consequently, even with photographs, it may be difficult to determine the actual model.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-06-20 at 05:39 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 06:37 PM
  #1438  
Newbiekr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial number LS08999? Blue frame, chrome socks on the fork, made in Japan.
Newbiekr is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 07:48 PM
  #1439  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbiekr View Post
Serial number LS08999? Blue frame, chrome socks on the fork, made in Japan.
Welcome to the forums. Your Bianchi is a 1981 model manufactured in Japan during December 1980. However, we'll need more information and preferably photographs if you want to know the model, as the S/N did not incorporate codes for the model.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 08:07 PM
  #1440  
Newbiekr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Therein lies the problem with the whole 10 posts to upload photos. I will post around and upload photos when I can.
Newbiekr is offline  
Old 11-07-20, 08:07 PM
  #1441  
Newbiekr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also thank you. Great to be here.
Newbiekr is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 06:38 PM
  #1442  
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim
 
BlueDevil63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eagle, CO
Posts: 1,429

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 61 Posts
I've had some discussions with others on dating this Bianchi. Serial numbers are 172 on one side and 072 on the other (see pictures). Components are consistent with a 1971/1972 date of manufactures. Pictures of the bike (before and after) included.









__________________
Flickr Albums
ebay: cicloclassico
64 Bianchi Specialissima, 67 Masi Special, 70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso



BlueDevil63 is offline  
Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 11-28-20, 04:45 AM
  #1443  
JoshNOLA
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Milano (interested in finding out the year)

CX0004037D

Bianchi Milano

would love to know the year

(What year?!! CX0004037D)
JoshNOLA is offline  
Old 11-28-20, 06:53 AM
  #1444  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,328

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshNOLA View Post
CX0004037D

Bianchi Milano

would love to know the year

(What year?!! CX0004037D)
Good Morning. Welcome to the forums. The Milan is a more modern model from the later 2000s so there might not be information available based solely on the serial number. The data base is kept by a member and is supplied by information pasted here.

tell us more about your Milan and maybe we can track it down. Is it IGH style? You may also be able to do some sleuthing on Bikepedia
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 11-28-20, 11:32 AM
  #1445  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshNOLA View Post
CX0004037D


Bianchi Milano


would love to know the year


(What year?!! CX0004037D)

Welcome to the forums. The few Milano I've seen have been relatively modern, cruiser style bicycles, with a Shimano Nexus IGH (internally geared hub0. Assuming it is Shimano equipped, the Shimano components will have a two letter date code on them that can be used to date the bicycle within a year. The easiest ones to find will probably be on the back of the front brakes.


In this case, the serial doesn't help much, as there is very little data on non-C&V Bianchi. I don't recognize the format but if I had to make a guess based solely on the serial number, it would be circa 2003-2004. Since there is little data on non-C&V Bianchi serial numbers, my confidence in that guess would be low.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-28-20, 10:32 PM
  #1446  
Monzeglio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15

Bikes: Ritchey Logic, Eddie Koepler Espoir, 1982 Raleigh Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Unusual engraved Bianchi fork, 70s?

I recently viewed an old Bianchi which I think is probably from the 70s. Frame number is 2D12154, dropouts are Gipiemme and it has unusual fork-top engravings: an ‘S’ with arrowheads and 2 parallel lines. It also has a B in a circle engraved on the top of each seatstay. Rear derailleur is Nuovo Gran Sport, shifters are Campagnolo and crankset is Stronglight but I guess components could have changed over the years.
it has been ‘enthusiastically’ repainted at some point but really needs doing again.
Does anyone have an idea of what the bike might be or recognise the fork engraving? It has been suggested that it is a ‘Specialissima’ but I don’t know if that is accurate. Any thoughts anyone?






Last edited by Monzeglio; 11-28-20 at 10:42 PM.
Monzeglio is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 07:41 AM
  #1447  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,890
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Monzeglio View Post
I recently viewed an old Bianchi which I think is probably from the 70s. Frame number is 2D12154, dropouts are Gipiemme and it has unusual fork-top engravings: an ‘S’ with arrowheads and 2 parallel lines. It also has a B in a circle engraved on the top of each seatstay. Rear derailleur is Nuovo Gran Sport, shifters are Campagnolo and crankset is Stronglight but I guess components could have changed over the years.
it has been ‘enthusiastically’ repainted at some point but really needs doing again.
Does anyone have an idea of what the bike might be or recognise the fork engraving? It has been suggested that it is a ‘Specialissima’ but I don’t know if that is accurate. Any thoughts anyone?
The subject bicycle is a 1982 European market model. It's definitely not a Specialissima, which would have used Campagnolo dropouts during this era. It's almost certainly mid-range, likely one of the many Rekord variants, The seat post diameter should give us an indicator of the tubeset, which I suspect is tretubi SL/SP at best, or possibly Aelle or even a Falck set.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 09:46 AM
  #1448  
Vonruden 
Gold Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,966

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 61 Posts
Any ideas on this model

Estate sale score, any ideas on model and year? Maybe 1985 based on serial number 27085. Painted by Spectrum cycles, maybe a repaint?





__________________
"My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

Get on your bikes and ride!

https://instagram.com/norseamerican/
Vonruden is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 10:22 AM
  #1449  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,328

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 455 Posts
I am pretty sure it is a repaint. For an upper end frame I would expect to see something on the stay cap. That heavy grommet on the brake. bridge seems odd too. Is there anything on the dropouts? Is there a B on the lug?
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 10:42 AM
  #1450  
Vonruden 
Gold Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,966

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
I am pretty sure it is a repaint. For an upper end frame I would expect to see something on the stay cap. That heavy grommet on the brake. bridge seems odd too. Is there anything on the dropouts? Is there a B on the lug?
drops



only B is on the HT/DT lug
__________________
"My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

Get on your bikes and ride!

https://instagram.com/norseamerican/
Vonruden is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.