Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike storage..which is best..

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike storage..which is best..

Old 12-09-20, 01:44 PM
UCantTouchThis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 271 Posts
Best is indoors in a spare room. One in a trainer which is usually the bike I am riding. I use it to prepare the bike for rides.

5 other bikes in the same room in a stand that supports the bike by sliding the crank arm into a slot type stand.

$32, what a rip! I got mine for $5 years ago at a bike shop trying to get rid of them and they are much sturdier than this cheap stand. But same principle.

Last edited by UCantTouchThis; 12-09-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-10-20, 12:34 AM
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw View Post
When I bought my first "10 speed" back in 1974 or -5, the bike shop was selling my hard on some French brand, which was way more expensive and nowhere near as simipatico as the Univega I favored. The salesman was arguing really hard that this French bike weighed 1 1/2 pounds less than the Univega. On a long bike trip, that 1 1/2 pounds was a huge drag. I was almost convinced. And then the light went off and I said: "Wait a minute. I weight 250 pounds (or whatever). That's way less than 1% of my weight!" And I bought the Univega. Never looked back. Its second owner was my older son, back in around 2000 or so.

I think we get caught up in specs when we should be taking a step back and--as you suggest--thinking about whether these things make a practical difference for our use.
My loaded bicycle weight has been reduced by 40 pounds since July. Yes, I've lost that much weight.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Likes For Doohickie:
Old 12-12-20, 04:24 PM
xseal

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
https://www.steadyrack.com
Old 12-12-20, 05:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 146 Posts
I hung bikes from the ceiling before, but I really don't have the height in my garage for them...so I then hung them from hooks then I realized I needed to organize better, so I went with the steadyracks.

Old 12-12-20, 06:23 PM
xseal

Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
I hung bikes from the ceiling before, but I really don't have the height in my garage for them...so I then hung them from hooks then I realized I needed to organize better, so I went with the steadyracks.
How far apart did you space them?
Old 12-12-20, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by xseal View Post
How far apart did you space them?
based on handlebar width....he road bikes are 16" apart, the hybrids are 20" apart and the 2 mtb are 24" apart. I have 6 bikes space in 8 ft of wall space that can swing to either side which is really convenient when I need to get to the AC filter or have it worked on.

Old 12-12-20, 08:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 921 Posts
If you alternate mounting by the front and rear wheels you can get them pretty close.
Old 12-12-20, 09:00 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
If you alternate mounting by the front and rear wheels you can get them pretty close.
It's more difficult to raise and lower the rear wheel than the front and if some weight needs to rest on the wheel at the floor, rear wheel on the floor is more stable this is why front wheel is always up.

Such type of storage won't work for full fender bikes though.
Old 12-12-20, 09:12 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
It's more difficult to raise and lower the rear wheel than the front and if some weight needs to rest on the wheel at the floor, rear wheel on the floor is more stable this is why front wheel is always up.

Such type of storage won't work for full fender bikes though.
They have racks specifically for fendered bikes....and I have 3 of those racks as they are a little more narrow and they fit the road bike wheel better. You can see it on my domane...it has a lower dip in the rack that the main type. They just slide under the fender. These racks are simple to use and the main reason I went with them is if my wife wants to ride her bike, she can easily remove and put it back by just lifting the front wheel and rolling the bike into the rack. She does not have to lift up to a hook that she could not reach. That was a main complaint I had with the hooks was her being able to get the bike up and down. That is no longer an issue.

Also, they are designed to not have the wheel sit on the floor, I have mine about 1 inch above the floor. There is also a small rear wheel plate for the tire to rest on to keep the tire from marring the wall.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-12-20 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-12-20, 09:21 PM
cubewheels

Also, they are designed to not have the wheel sit on the floor, I have mine about 1 inch about the floor.
Cool! Yup, that was my concern the full fenders on the rear wheel would scratch the floor so it's great the rear wheel can be off the floor.
Old 12-12-20, 09:27 PM
jaxgtr

I also like them in that when I have one of the bikes on the trainer, I just put the rear wheel in the rack....my wife has her bike on it at the moment which is why there is only the rear wheel in the 4th position. I am sort of a freak for organization, so....

Old 12-12-20, 09:58 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 256 Posts
Mine live in a climate controlled carpeted room with their wheels cradled in perfectly radiused holders to prevent flat spotting with a humidifier and dehumidifier precisely controlled at .01% humidity, while swaddled in 1000 thread count Arabian goose down filled comforters while classical music softly plays under dimming LEDS. Fresh flowers daily, of course.

Only a barbarian would provide less.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Last edited by rsbob; 12-12-20 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-13-20, 08:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 12-13-20, 09:17 PM
cubewheels

Not going to work with my 40 lbs bike! And I only weigh 120 lbs. Rather difficult to balance in a tight space while lifting the heavy bike, rear wheel up!
Old 12-13-20, 11:22 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 56 Posts
I love the Steadyracks. If I had the dedicated space I would use them. I have limited space in my garage and sometimes have to move things around for projects.

I built simple wood stands for my folders (There are 6 of us) and for the road bikes I use the feedback RAKK stands. They can be used to hold the front wheel, back wheel or you can stand the bike up with the front wheel up on the wall with the back wheel in the stand.

And none of the stands are permanent.

I dont have any good pics of the Feedback RAKK but you can google it to get an idea. Super portable and easy to move around.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 12-14-20, 07:00 AM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I just hung a couple of padded bars from the ceiling and hang the bikes from the seat. Works perfect, bikes are high and out of the way, and way easier to reach up and hang/remove the bikes than wheel hooks. A couple more bikes are on the way so this is a much needed solution. Also stupid cheap to do
Likes For feejer:
Old 12-14-20, 08:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Not going to work with my 40 lbs bike!
Damn... my 2 bikes weigh less than that in total.

I suggest keeping both wheels on the ground, that's how I store my wife's bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-14-20, 10:12 AM
icemilkcoffee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 133 Posts
I am thinking of getting something like this:

question is- will these put too much pressure on the spokes and cause the spokes to loosen over the long run?
Old 12-14-20, 12:45 PM
xseal

based on handlebar width....he road bikes are 16" apart, the hybrids are 20" apart and the 2 mtb are 24" apart. I have 6 bikes space in 8 ft of wall space that can swing to either side which is really convenient when I need to get to the AC filter or have it worked on.
Thanks, new house is almost finished, I have 4 of these ready to bolt to new garage wall. Thx.
Old 12-14-20, 05:16 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by xseal View Post
Thanks, new house is almost finished, I have 4 of these ready to bolt to new garage wall. Thx.
You will love them. I used three 1x6x10 and ran it across 4 or 5 studs and then I could mount the racks where I wanted. 2 for the racks up top and 1 for the rear wheel mount. I used two 1/4" x 2.5" fasteners per stud across the 10 ft run which if I recall was 10 per board, they are not coming off the wall that is for sure.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-14-20 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 07:01 PM
cubewheels

Damn... my 2 bikes weigh less than that in total.

I suggest keeping both wheels on the ground, that's how I store my wife's bike.
The only way I can get a super light bike and still afford it is a unicycle! I only have two bikes. No problem for now with both stored two wheels on ground. Ofc, would have been nicer if they occupied less space.
Old 12-14-20, 07:04 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post

question is- will these put too much pressure on the spokes and cause the spokes to loosen over the long run?
Maybe. Another concern if you have small wheel bikes like with 20" or smaller wheel and equipped with disc brakes. The brake rotors might rub the wheel holders.
Old 12-14-20, 11:15 PM
icemilkcoffee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe. Another concern if you have small wheel bikes like with 20" or smaller wheel and equipped with disc brakes. The brake rotors might rub the wheel holders.
That's a good point. We don't have any bikes with disc brakes at the moment. But I do want the stand to be 'future-proof'.
Old 12-15-20, 12:30 AM
Skulking

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 36 Posts
That's a good point. We don't have any bikes with disc brakes at the moment. But I do want the stand to be 'future-proof'.
I don't think disc brakes should be a huge concern for something like that. The discs are inside the fork. They may be exposed below the fork, so if the stand is very short and you let the bike lean over on the rotor I suppose you might bend the rotor, but short of that, it's really not a concern.
Old 12-15-20, 11:12 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 1,115 Times in 662 Posts

They don't call those "wheel bender racks" for nothing Realistically, used at home, that should not be an issue.

Main issue I have with them is that unless you can adjust the slots, they are limited in their versatility. Seems like every time you see those out in public, half the bikes don't fit right in them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.