Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Old 12-01-20, 11:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2 View Post
Germany was never a cycling nation.

Really?
Old 12-02-20, 12:08 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek TX900, 1983 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1991 PDG Paramount OS, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 179 Posts
@Wilwood, I agree, the Italians win!
Tim
Old 12-02-20, 01:07 AM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 887 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
With us, it was wagons, with a little brother forced to ride, scared stiff.
I was a little brother strapped into the wagon and rolled into the street 1/2 naked on Halloween. It was a 'joke'. Tough growing up in a tough, poor neighborhood when you are th little kid. But that was '50s, long enough ago to forget.
Old 12-12-20, 09:01 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
I admire the French for going their own way as far as engineering and style goes, after all they invented the metric system and Paris where the world goes to get their freak on.
The Italians gave us art, design, Enzo, Ernesto, Tullio, and some really good looking suits.
England proved you really can have world domination ran from a small island. The home of James Bond 007, Austin Powers, and the real Mini Cooper. First they invented the industrial revolution then they invented the bodge.
The United States had a pair of bicycle mechanics named Orville and Wilbur that built the first controllable airplane and possibly invented the kludge (see bodge) then we went to the moon.
So in the grand scheme of things we all accomplished this together and in some significant way the bicycle helped us along.
I love all bicycles.
Austin Powers is Canadian.
Old 12-12-20, 12:12 PM
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
I admire the French for going their own way as far as engineering and style goes, after all they invented the metric system and Paris where the world goes to get their freak on.
The Italians gave us art, design, Enzo, Ernesto, Tullio, and some really good looking suits.
England proved you really can have world domination ran from a small island. The home of James Bond 007, Austin Powers, and the real Mini Cooper. First they invented the industrial revolution then they invented the bodge.
The United States had a pair of bicycle mechanics named Orville and Wilbur that built the first controllable airplane and possibly invented the kludge (see bodge) then we went to the moon.
So in the grand scheme of things we all accomplished this together and in some significant way the bicycle helped us along.
I love all bicycles.

: Mike
I draw the line at interstellar purchases, so no "Mars" for me!

Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-12-20, 12:42 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Communist China is controversial these days and also the source of most modern bicycle production. I have one modern bike, and have to say I don't particularly like the "Made in China" sticker on it very much. But such is life.
Old 12-12-20, 01:14 PM
USAZorro
SeŮor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
+1
Especially at a party with British Royal Marines and Australians.
I donít even know what we were drinking. It didnít really matter.
It was kind of blue. We called it Aqua Velva.
Sounds like Bombay Gin. I despise gin.

As for the initial question... just a little bit. Not a fan of Soviet block equipment, but my concern is more of the dubious quality than anything else, but I have never been a fan of Soviet/Russian policies either.