Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Mom got her vaccination

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Mom got her vaccination

Old 01-22-21, 08:38 AM
ropetwitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Guys, thanks for sharing your experiences regarding the vaccine. Please share any adverse effects that I hope there would be none.
Old 01-22-21, 01:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13360 Post(s)
Liked 1,787 Times in 1,352 Posts
Mom recently hit 80.

I think they'll finally start giving out community vaccinations to 80+ after February 8th, but I have no idea how long until she gets the shot.

A neighbor is in her mid 60's, but at much higher risk. She can get the COVID test... but no vaccine. And, I have no idea when she'll get onto the priority list.
Old 01-22-21, 02:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,200 Posts
My sister at 50 gets her vaccination next Thursday. San Antonio teachers are now in line. So that’s good. When is my turn? I don’t know as of now.
Old 01-22-21, 02:22 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Mom recently hit 80.t.
As I noted elsewhere my mom is 80 and in VT the sign up for her group starts Jan 25. Since she doesn't have reliable internet I hope to do it for her.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-22-21, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
As I noted elsewhere my mom is 80 and in VT the sign up for her group starts Jan 25. Since she doesn't have reliable internet I hope to do it for her.
Fortunately my mother is a former Systems Analyst. While everything has changed... no more punch cards, she does remain reasonably computer competent.

Moreover, she is good at organizing stuff... and can figure out who to call.
Old 01-22-21, 04:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Fortunately my mother is a former Systems Analyst. While everything has changed... no more punch cards, she does remain reasonably computer competent.

Moreover, she is good at organizing stuff... and can figure out who to call.
My mom is reasonable at computers, but her internet drops out or is very slow in winter. Either the dish fills with snow or worse ice builds up (current issue) which she can't reach to brush or scrape out. There will be a phone number too, but I doubt it will be a short wait.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-...vid-19-vaccine

Then she will need to figure out a ride to/from the appointment, which may not be close to home.

Last edited by noisebeam; 01-22-21 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 07:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 719 Posts
As a essential utility employee I'm scheduled to get mine Tuesday morning.
Old 01-23-21, 08:09 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts
The S.O. and I are over 65 (Iím an essential worker as well). We received our vaccinations last Thursday.
Old 01-24-21, 01:55 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 621 Posts
My moms is scheduled for Feb 20th. Sheís 76 for what itís worth.

My wife is a ďcommunity front lineĒ as a psychotherapist and her licensing organization (CAMFT) says sheís tier 1a but sheís having a hard time getting my PPO or UC Davis to buy that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-24-21, 09:21 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 260 Posts
I got mine 10 days ago..... no issues.

My wife and her coworkers got theres 2 days ago, all is well. Just wanted to share some good news about it.
Old 01-27-21, 06:00 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Mom called my sister and I this morning. She said the vaccine altered her DNA now she want’s to cook and eat us .
Luv it.

I was gonna ask if she's in health care but saw her age in your post.

WHO Information Notice for IVD Users 2020/05

So the WHO has just issued a warning/directive to labs doing the testing. So to keep it brief they are doing it wrong enough to be causing more false positives and assumed asymptomatic cases than they should.
While getting a gallstone removed I had the second of two samples come back positive . . . asymptomatic or non symptomatic to be sure. The first was a swab from my nose and it was negative. Not sure what the second consisted of but they moved me to the Covid floor and cancelled my gall bladder removal for a couple weeks as a precaution in protection of the staff.

The only reason I requested the test was that my renter, a bit of a hypochondriac, tested positive but apparently also asymptomatic. So I figured while I was there anyway . . . I was also kind of curious about why so many asymptomatic positives here in the inland Washington area and now I are one. Anyway the couple of doctors I had seemed to opine something about the false positives causing some inconvenient scheduling backlogs for the hospital and I guess I are one of those too.

Man I'm 70 and feeling fine when I ain't got some gallstone in my gut. But I'll take one of those vaccinations eventually, probably when there are more approved which won't be long.
Old 01-27-21, 06:16 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
While getting a gallstone removed I had the second of two samples come back positive . . . asymptomatic or non symptomatic to be sure. The first was a swab from my nose and it was negative. Not sure what the second consisted of but they moved me to the Covid floor and cancelled my gall bladder removal for a couple weeks as a precaution in protection of the staff.

The only reason I requested the test was that my renter, a bit of a hypochondriac, tested positive but apparently also asymptomatic. So I figured while I was there anyway . . . I was also kind of curious about why so many asymptomatic positives here in the inland Washington area and now I are one. Anyway the couple of doctors I had seemed to opine something about the false positives causing some inconvenient scheduling backlogs for the hospital and I guess I are one of those too.
Around here they routinely schedule COVID tests before major medical procedures.

The risk of moving asymptomatic people into the COVID ward at a hospital is that if they are in fact a false positive, it increases the risk of catching the disease.

I suppose it depends on how severe your gallstones are.
Old 01-27-21, 06:18 PM
CliffordK

My brother in his mid 50's is hoping to get in for the COVID vaccine as an "Essential Worker" (small business owner, greenhouse that also sells fruit).

We'll see if he gets it before my mother, 80+.
Old 01-28-21, 12:43 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Around here they routinely schedule COVID tests before major medical procedures.

The risk of moving asymptomatic people into the COVID ward at a hospital is that if they are in fact a false positive, it increases the risk of catching the disease.

I suppose it depends on how severe your gallstones are.
Or what the situation was on that floor for the moment. And it did strike me as risky for me at first but also risky for the other floor and staff should I develop some symptoms. So it was one night in a room shared with yet another asymptomatic positive on his last night there and I didn't ask what his other medical issue was because I was in a little pain still from getting the gallstone shoved back into the gall bladder, That's how they did that one with some kind of device they maneuver where the sun don't shine, thankfully while I'm completely out face down on the gurney.. I'll be going back to get the gallbladder out after the precaution of a two week wait for the staff but I'm OK with that considering everything.
Old 01-28-21, 12:52 PM
bikecrate

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 135 Posts
I got my second shot of Moderna vaccine today. If is like the first shot my arm will be hurting bad by 6:00 tonight. I also read from our hospital Covid info email that the vaccine producers are adjusting their blend for the new mutations and there may have to be another booster shot in the future.
Old 01-28-21, 01:19 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9897 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,428 Posts
My brother in his mid 50's is hoping to get in for the COVID vaccine as an "Essential Worker" (small business owner, greenhouse that also sells fruit).

We'll see if he gets it before my mother, 80+.
I tried that, as my employer has essential worker status... but apparently it is over ruled by state supply and rules. My wife just had her appointment canceled... they ran out of vaccination supply. So she now has a later date.

They need to set this up like the military did our inoculations... (which was somewhat brutal, BTW) Line up everyone and march them by someone with one of those pneumatic shot guns. We got about 4-5 shots like this in boot camp... shots on either arm... as you marched by the shot stations.

Polio was easy, back in the day it was drops on sugar cubes.
Old 01-28-21, 01:28 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

She signed up on the 25th for a Feb 4th appointment first available. Then she went to schedule a ride service to get there (30mi away) and they were booked for the day. Then later she found another option, but found since the vax site doesn't have a street address she could not book it. After many phone calls she found the vax site is the gymnasium at the old school, but that wasn't enough for the ride service. She then tracked down some lady in that town who knew of the old school which doesn't have a street number so they are working to get one assigned. Today she called to let me know the old school now has a street number and the ride service is now booked.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-28-21, 01:59 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

And, btw, the first nose swab test was negative which is why they proceeded. Then the results of the second test came in about two hours after the procedure.

I'd be glad to take the risk as opposed to the whole non-Covid floor of patients and staff taking the risk if the positive were in fact transmittable Covid. We don't know with 100% certainty that it ain't yet actually.
Old 01-28-21, 02:19 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 462 Posts
She signed up on the 25th for a Feb 4th appointment first available. Then she went to schedule a ride service to get there (30mi away) and they were booked for the day. Then later she found another option, but found since the vax site doesn't have a street address she could not book it. After many phone calls she found the vax site is the gymnasium at the old school, but that wasn't enough for the ride service. She then tracked down some lady in that town who knew of the old school which doesn't have a street number so they are working to get one assigned. Today she called to let me know the old school now has a street number and the ride service is now booked.
... it's almost like Kafka scripted these vax tales
Old 01-28-21, 04:09 PM
Mojo31

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 519 Posts
Got Moderna #2 today. The first was cake. Some mile tenderness at the injection site for a couple of days. We shall see what tomorrow brings!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-28-21, 07:12 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by genec View Post
I tried that, as my employer has essential worker status... but apparently it is over ruled by state supply and rules. My wife just had her appointment canceled... they ran out of vaccination supply. So she now has a later date.
Alex Azar strongly recommending giving out all of the doses, not holding back huge amounts.

Just-In-Time delivery for the second dose.

CDC, doses distributed/given by state

California: 5,547,100 doses received, 2,746,876 doses administered
Washington: 1,003,550 doses received, 571,135 doses administered.
Oregon: 606,725 doses received, 340,383 doses administered

The states simply haven't run out of vaccine. Of course, millions of doses may be hidden away somewhere.
Old 01-28-21, 07:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 806 Posts
A State may not have run out, but given the difficulty of transporting at low enough temps, quick enough, it may be a county or city or administration site has run out and cannot practically get resupplied by an appointment date
Old 01-28-21, 08:46 PM
CliffordK

From the Azar report, it sounds like the feds are shipping the vaccine to the actual point of use based on requests by the State.

We're over a month into this, and it should be easy enough to get the vaccine from where there is a surplus to where it is needed.

In a big state like California, if one put a central distribution center in SF and LA, then one could reach 90% of the population in less than a day's drive, even mid-winter.

It does need cold storage, but they can ship it in Dry Ice which should be readily available. I can buy some at the local supermarket.

If one hospital or clinic or pharmacy has a surplus, it should be able to be snatched up and moved to another that has run out.

From what I've read/heard, they may have initially labelled the vaccine as "First Dose" vs "Second Dose", but they are identical.

The goal should be to vaccinate people, not freezers.
Old 01-30-21, 08:12 AM
bikecrate

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 135 Posts
The second shot kicked my butt. I started to feel a bit tired and achy about 8:00 pm Thursday. I decided to go to bed at 9:00. In the few minutes it took to get ready for bed I went full blown high fever, uncontrollable shivers and my feet felt like blocks of ice. I had a pretty rough night. I got a good nights sleep last night and feel fine today.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 02-08-21, 09:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 376 Posts
Both my kids got their second shot this week. Daughter is a hospice worker, son is military shipping overseas soon. She had about 24 hours of feeling bad after the 2nd shot, he had nothing.

Wife and I are relieved, since they were both pretty exposed. Phew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.