Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Covid Stupidity

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Covid Stupidity

Old 01-07-21, 07:43 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I don't care if people wear shorts in winter, as long as they don't scoff that I should "put on a sweater" because I'm cold.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
I also get the whole wearing shorts below 20*, that's kilt weather.
Not for me! I save the kilt for summertime.
Old 01-08-21, 12:15 AM
Hericann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I suffer from ASD, so there are lots of things that are harder for me to deal with than most people. When someone does something that is "against the rules," or really stupid, or against mainstream behavior (like wearing shorts in the winter), I have a hard time letting it go.

So a couple days ago, my wife and I were at the grocery store ready to check out. People were keeping the recommended six feet apart, and all was well. There was a couple in front of us unloading their goods onto the checkout conveyor, and suddenly the guy pulled down his mask and picked his nose. My eyes must have bugged out like a cartoon, and my wife saw it too. We discussed it afterward and it dawned on me that this stupid little slip up could probably cause a certain percentage of covid infections. No wonder the virus is still raging! I see people all the time who wear a mask over their mouths with their noses exposed and breathing through their noses. Idiocy! What dumb moves have you guys seen out there?
There are a lot of people that I meet on the streets who put their masks like that. And it irritates me - what's the use of their masks being worn with their nose exposed!
Old 01-08-21, 02:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3990 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,141 Posts
From a Fakebroke post to a local cycling club this week...

This actually got some serious replies.

But not from me.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-08-21, 10:08 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 234 Posts
Here in Chicago, there's almost always someone wearing shorts on various random days pretty much any time of the winter. Super cold (below zero F) days being the exceptions but even that I wouldn't say is a definite.

Kid down the street does his snowblowing in shorts. Now THAT looks chilly! Because typically at some point the wind blows the snow back onto one's legs. I can only imagine the consternation my mom would have had if I'd tried something like that.

On the other hand, a couple times I've been to Southern California in late winter, like February or March. It's funny to see everyone bundled up in heavy coats when the weather is 65 degrees and sunny and I'm upset because I forgot to pack any shorts.

And on yet (another) hand.... Recently I was going through old family photos from the 1970s. It seems that at one time, almost no one over about four years of age wore shorts. Picnics, ball games, camping trips.... Everyone wore long pants. Either that or there were some notoriously chilly summers there for a few years.
Old 01-08-21, 10:16 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 921 Posts
I was reminded of this from a P&R thread. . Many buildings in the Northeast US are kept quite warm in winter. When I visit relatives in VT I bring shorts since the wood stove can make the home too warm. This means when I run to the store to pick up milk I don't change into long pants even if it is 25F outside. In the spring as a kid we would sometimes downhill ski on the slush in shorts, but those were 50F+ days.

Right now in it is 64F in my house and I am wearing shorts and a light down jacket. I very rarely use heat in the winter.
Old 01-10-21, 02:03 AM
SurferRosa
SeŮor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 939 Posts
I was wearing my mask only over the mouth yesterday, but I was outdoors and at least twenty feet away from my pal on whom I was waiting at the lumber store. It's easier that way with the eyeglasses. I wasn't wearing shorts, but I did the day before during a two-hour ride in which I needed to blow snot rockets several times. I try not to blow them on car doors or small children, but we can't always be perfect.
Old 01-10-21, 08:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,172 Posts
It is my fondest wish to swim in Lake Amistad once more. I've spent many happy hours there. I even got my scuba certification there in 1978!

Dear Wife and I have started planning a post-covid trip in which we fly into San Antonio, rent a car and drive to Del Rio for a day or two, then drive up to Rochester, TX and stay with my best friend for a day or two.
You will get to cruise through the metropolis of Hondo. There is about 10 stoplights . And Whataburger.
Old 01-10-21, 08:57 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
From a Fakebroke post to a local cycling club this week...

This actually got some serious replies.

But not from me.
Here is a gym that requires no masks but I wear gloves lol. Iím the only member...

It was a bike clothes holder lol.
Old 01-10-21, 09:28 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9873 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,417 Posts
Exactly what kind of work out do you get on the bench with the fork?
Likes For genec:
Old 01-10-21, 09:43 AM
Kat12

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Exactly what kind of work out do you get on the bench with the fork?
That's how you make sure you get back up from your bench squats!... or maybe so your rests aren't too long? (You know, always the guy at the gym holding down a bench between sets for 10 minutes while he's on his phone...)
Likes For Kat12:
Old 01-10-21, 10:19 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Yup, if you are joking around and unfocused you get poked with that fork. It’s a motivational tool that all gyms should have.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-10-21, 11:16 AM
Kat12

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup, if you are joking around and unfocused you get poked with that fork. Itís a motivational tool that all gyms should have.
I was thinking in terms of, after sitting on it for so long, you're motivated to get back up and do your next set.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 01-10-21, 11:21 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 255 Posts
You will get to cruise through the metropolis of Hondo. There is about 10 stoplights . And Whataburger.
We very familiar with Hondo. Nice little town. We always passed through on our way to San Antonio. Forty years ago, I don't recall any stoplights on Highway 90. It was just a straight shot 80mph all the way to San Antonio.
Old 02-08-21, 06:49 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I suffer from ASD, so there are lots of things that are harder for me to deal with than most people. When someone does something that is "against the rules," or really stupid, or against mainstream behavior (like wearing shorts in the winter), I have a hard time letting it go.

So a couple days ago, my wife and I were at the grocery store ready to check out. People were keeping the recommended six feet apart, and all was well. There was a couple in front of us unloading their goods onto the checkout conveyor, and suddenly the guy pulled down his mask and picked his nose. My eyes must have bugged out like a cartoon, and my wife saw it too. We discussed it afterward and it dawned on me that this stupid little slip up could probably cause a certain percentage of covid infections. No wonder the virus is still raging! I see people all the time who wear a mask over their mouths with their noses exposed and breathing through their noses. Idiocy! What dumb moves have you guys seen out there?
You should have said: "Don't eat that."
Likes For Zinger:
Old 02-08-21, 10:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 738 Posts
Yeah things are bad and people aren't the brightest. It is funny they are proposing sending people masks when if you aren't wearing masks by now you aren't going to start we are a year into this. However it would be good for those who maybe cannot afford masks or could use more of them and certainly I am sure healthcare providers and other frontline workers could use more masks.

That video of the lady picking up dog droppings and then reusing the mask made me sick. I wish I hadn't watched it as I knew it was going to happen but I couldn't believe it was real without seeing it for myself.

Shorts aren't so bad for me but I do have a friend who insists on shorts and sandals in winter (he does wear socks) and that always bugs me but it has to be pretty cold out. I went out today in shorts and it was in the mid 30s granted it wasn't for more than a few minutes at most. However I am one of those people who is not keen on pants but will wear them when needed. I overheat easily so I tend to be better cooler than hotter as I can add layers but can't usually take them off easily in some cases without being inappropriate.
Old 02-08-21, 11:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 370 Posts
When i lived in Texas it was great that shorts were allowed in the office. Shorts, sandals, tee shirts in a software manager job! Funny thing was, they were all shocked when I wore shorts through the winter. They be like, but it's so cold! For one thing, 45 ain't cold, and for another it was 72 on the office.

The virus, and all communicable diseases, rely on human behavior. Call it stupid, but human behavior is what it is, and diseases are what they are because of it.
Old 02-09-21, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3990 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,141 Posts
Here is a gym that requires no masks but I wear gloves lol. Iím the only member...

It was a bike clothes holder lol.
After my January post about the guy looking for a no-mask gym, a family member (also a COVID denialist and anti-masker) upped the ante on knuckleheadedness. He posted a whine about Planet Fitness' "lunk alarm" anti-lunk policy. He's a weight lifter, mostly deadlifts, the sport of desk jockeys who'd rather be warehouse workers but paid a living wage. He was annoyed that Planet Fitness discourages serious weight lifters from grunting, screaming and slamming weights down.

I restrained myself from suggesting that he find a real gym, rather than Planet Fitness, the gym-lite for soccer moms, hipsters and old dudes like me who just need a little physical therapy minus the drama of a serious weight gym.

But his favorite sport is whining about libruls like me. Going where he's actually welcome wouldn't give him stuff to whine about.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-09-21, 08:47 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
When i lived in Texas it was great that shorts were allowed in the office. Shorts, sandals, tee shirts in a software manager job! Funny thing was, they were all shocked when I wore shorts through the winter. They be like, but it's so cold! For one thing, 45 ain't cold, and for another it was 72 on the office.

The virus, and all communicable diseases, rely on human behavior. Call it stupid, but human behavior is what it is, and diseases are what they are because of it.
I wear shorts in winter but the standard cotton sweatshirt on top Colorado people generally hate Texans and they say that wardrobe combo is a knockoff that you are from Texas.
Old 02-09-21, 08:57 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
After my January post about the guy looking for a no-mask gym, a family member (also a COVID denialist and anti-masker) upped the ante on knuckleheadedness. He posted a whine about Planet Fitness' "lunk alarm" anti-lunk policy. He's a weight lifter, mostly deadlifts, the sport of desk jockeys who'd rather be warehouse workers but paid a living wage. He was annoyed that Planet Fitness discourages serious weight lifters from grunting, screaming and slamming weights down.

I restrained myself from suggesting that he find a real gym, rather than Planet Fitness, the gym-lite for soccer moms, hipsters and old dudes like me who just need a little physical therapy minus the drama of a serious weight gym.

But his favorite sport is whining about libruls like me. Going where he's actually welcome wouldn't give him stuff to whine about.
Opening a Covid Denial gym might make some $ .. Planet Fitness is great for the reasons who have stated. Roid Boy is not around and people who may want to lose a few pounds can exercise without hearing males giving birth to bowling balls.
Old 02-09-21, 09:18 AM
genec
genec

I wear shorts in winter but the standard cotton sweatshirt on top Colorado people generally hate Texans and they say that wardrobe combo is a knockoff that you are from Texas.
Hondo... everybody hates Texans... at least Texans that make a point of ensuring that you know they are Texan. This is especially true of Texans that are "all hat, no cattle."
Old 02-09-21, 09:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

I hate myself but I have cattle. Baseball cap and AC/DC t-shirt. Ugly glares at the feed store is priceless. And also a KISS face mask. The many drugstore cowboys with fake accents that’s just the beginning. Stock shows and rodeos attract the frauds.
Old 02-09-21, 09:39 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Evidence I ain’t all baseball cap and no cattle

They will end up at Whataburger lol.
Old 02-09-21, 10:54 AM
genec
genec

I hate myself but I have cattle. Baseball cap and AC/DC t-shirt. Ugly glares at the feed store is priceless. And also a KISS face mask. The many drugstore cowboys with fake accents thatís just the beginning. Stock shows and rodeos attract the frauds.
Actually, you tend to exemplify the modern cowboy. My niece is a "rancher" also, up in Texarkana. Last time I spoke to her she had 15 head of Angus beef. Originally, they were not going for "certified" but it proved to be worth the hassle.

Many years ago, while driving a Toyota Truck from California to Fort Worth to see family, I went to a Dairy Queen early on a Sunday morning... and there in my California shorts and sandals and casual shirt, on a day destined to be damn hot, I encountered the Original Cowboy... gritty leather face, long sleeve shirt, buttoned to the top, straw 10 gallon hat, pointy boots and a glare that said "you ain't from around here boy." Now I can look back and compare it to that scene from City Slickers when Billy Crystal "Mitch" first meets Jack Palance "Curly." It was classic.
Likes For genec:
Old 02-09-21, 11:20 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Actually, you tend to exemplify the modern cowboy. My niece is a "rancher" also, up in Texarkana. Last time I spoke to her she had 15 head of Angus beef. Originally, they were not going for "certified" but it proved to be worth the hassle.

Many years ago, while driving a Toyota Truck from California to Fort Worth to see family, I went to a Dairy Queen early on a Sunday morning... and there in my California shorts and sandals and casual shirt, on a day destined to be damn hot, I encountered the Original Cowboy... gritty leather face, long sleeve shirt, buttoned to the top, straw 10 gallon hat, pointy boots and a glare that said "you ain't from around here boy." Now I can look back and compare it to that scene from City Slickers when Billy Crystal "Mitch" first meets Jack Palance "Curly." It was classic.
I can picture the scene at DQ. Iím a 2 to 3 cow operation for tax exemptions. In my past life I was involved with family with about 60 cows but it was never a full time endeavor. To make it viable hundreds if not thousands of cattle is needed. Some canít even order a Whataburger without a hard azz attitude. You donít have to act all tough guy to say Iíll take a number 4 with an ice tea.
Old 02-10-21, 11:55 AM
ahsposo 
Rock Hard Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5180 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,375 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77 View Post
So sorry to hear that you are afflicted with ASD , whatever that is. Don't let the actions of others affect you. Just beat some sense into them and go on about your business. (or not) lol
Ambiguous Syntax Dialectic