Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 02-23-21, 12:02 PM
  #7176  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,293

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Most likely not, but you can look your portion size at the nutritionals on the packages and calculate it. Whey protein is the most complete and efficient way to go. You should also look at your daily protein intake and make sure it matches the requirements for an athlete of your weight and age.

I eat enough protein, And I used to use whey religiously. It ran out and I havnt looked back. I’m willing to give it a try and see if I notice an improvement
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:08 PM
  #7177  
mvnsnd
Senior Member
 
mvnsnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,993

Bikes: Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Eh, it's just that the idea of it doesn't appeal to me. Ride simulation isn't something that interests me, so I see ERG mode to be the most compelling aspect of smart trainers... but that just seems wrong to me, too. Without shifting, I expect my power to go up and down respectively, with the increase or decrease of my cadence, but ERG mode ain't having that.
You will get some power variation in ERG mode. Those pure geometric profiles you see on Strava are usually because the trainer is sending target power, not actual power. You can certainly change cadence or shift gears during ERG mode and system will settle back to the ERG target. I usually see a ±5-7 watt change in actual power depending on how smooth I'm pedaling. Plus you could shift gears to change intensities as the interval changes. Going from recovery to VO2 is a shift change. You could keep the same gear, but you then rely on the trainer to evaluate power and adjust. It's not as instant as shifting.

What is weird is that it's a double feedback system, your pedal force and cadence trying to maintain a power and the trainer trying to stay within a power band. I generally find it easier to do intervals in ERG mode than following terrain as I can focus on the power and not worry about little descents or risers. But the terrain simulation is also a benefit as climbing means actually increasing power as one would do outdoors too.
mvnsnd is offline  
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 02-23-21, 12:13 PM
  #7178  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I am happy to look at it. These are sometimes hazy and subjective in their reading, but feel free to PM me the report and I can opine.
thanks. PM sent.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:14 PM
  #7179  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 34,691

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14456 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
thanks. PM sent.
PM returned.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:16 PM
  #7180  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd View Post
You will get some power variation in ERG mode. Those pure geometric profiles you see on Strava are usually because the trainer is sending target power, not actual power. You can certainly change cadence or shift gears during ERG mode and system will settle back to the ERG target. I usually see a ±5-7 watt change in actual power depending on how smooth I'm pedaling. Plus you could shift gears to change intensities as the interval changes. Going from recovery to VO2 is a shift change. You could keep the same gear, but you then rely on the trainer to evaluate power and adjust. It's not as instant as shifting.

What is weird is that it's a double feedback system, your pedal force and cadence trying to maintain a power and the trainer trying to stay within a power band. I generally find it easier to do intervals in ERG mode than following terrain as I can focus on the power and not worry about little descents or risers. But the terrain simulation is also a benefit as climbing means actually increasing power as one would do outdoors too.
I might really like it in practice, but I'm just so lukewarm that I'd never buy one without trying it first. What I really should do is go to my LBS and try to break their demo bike as I uncork it on the trainer.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-23-21, 12:19 PM
  #7181  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
PM returned.
Thank you. I guess the results were "normal". I'm not even upset they weren't awesome.
DougRNS is offline  
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 02-23-21, 12:21 PM
  #7182  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 34,691

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14456 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,439 Posts
Hey indyfabz have you ridden through French Creek State Park? Mrs datlas and I are going there for 2 nights, we are renting one of their cabins. I am taking the bike with me and hope to get at least one ride in while we are there.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:21 PM
  #7183  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 34,691

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14456 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
Thank you. I guess the results were "normal". I'm not even upset they weren't awesome.
Print them out and put them in a marigold envelope for added awesomeness.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-23-21, 12:27 PM
  #7184  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
I was on the church lawn this morning and came across an area where there's purple flowers blooming and bees buzzing around.

wut

I regretted to inform them that we still have six weeks of winter.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:30 PM
  #7185  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,135

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I was on the church lawn this morning and came across an area where there's purple flowers blooming and bees buzzing around.

wut

I regretted to inform them that we still have six weeks of winter.
Blue Bonnets?

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:31 PM
  #7186  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Hours, if I'm moving around some.
I grow weary of standing still after about five minutes.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:40 PM
  #7187  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Blue Bonnets?

Nope. They were like this:

__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:41 PM
  #7188  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
Thank you. I guess the results were "normal". I'm not even upset they weren't awesome.
So the drugs are working? Kudos.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:44 PM
  #7189  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Print them out and put them in a marigold envelope for added awesomeness.
(mari) gold Jerry (mari) gold.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:44 PM
  #7190  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,293

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 592 Posts



Cleaning the bike and just found this. Looks like it just chipped the paint, I hope.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:48 PM
  #7191  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 34,691

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14456 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post



Cleaning the bike and just found this. Looks like it just chipped the paint, I hope.
Agree. You may want to stabilize/patch with nail polish or touch-up paint.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-23-21, 12:48 PM
  #7192  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,191
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12742 Post(s)
Liked 5,027 Times in 2,590 Posts
Bad kitty!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...coop-1.5923089
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-23-21, 12:51 PM
  #7193  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Nope. They were like this:

Looks like crocus.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-23-21, 12:58 PM
  #7194  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Looks like crocus.
They weren't as dark purple as in the picture, but that's the general idea. Only a couple inches tall. #Naturing
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 12:59 PM
  #7195  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
PM returned.
don’t forget to bill a telehealth visit
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-23-21, 01:04 PM
  #7196  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I eat enough protein, And I used to use whey religiously. It ran out and I havnt looked back. I’m willing to give it a try and see if I notice an improvement
I feel fresh most days, but I’m eating over 200g per day of protein. I think it’s close to 60% of my caloric intake.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 01:14 PM
  #7197  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,293

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Agree. You may want to stabilize/patch with nail polish or touch-up paint.

So orange nail polish, would you put clear coat on top fo the orange nail polish?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 01:16 PM
  #7198  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,293

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
I feel fresh most days, but I’m eating over 200g per day of protein. I think it’s close to 60% of my caloric intake.

I used to count calories, keep a journal, drink multiple protein shakes a day. In college I was eating 6 to 10 eggs a day. It was exhausting and expensive. I just eat when I am hungry now and go for the most protein I can find out of my choices.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 01:30 PM
  #7199  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
They weren't as dark purple as in the picture, but that's the general idea. Only a couple inches tall. #Naturing
Sure, they come in white and/or various shades of blue and purple. They were always the first flowers to pop up in NYC in the spring, but I think that there are varieties that blossom at other times of the year, too.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-23-21, 01:32 PM
  #7200  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
So orange nail polish, would you put clear coat on top fo the orange nail polish?
How pretty do you want to feel?
WhyFi is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.