Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 02-26-21, 05:40 PM
  #7701  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,938

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Hahahaha. I forgot about that one. Had customers bring it in when their car wouldn't pass. I'm sure you have, too.
Yes I have. I get the calls saying they've used it, and sometimes twice... If you read the fine print, your car will pass if it runs as well as they expect it to, without adding that snake oil..
__________________
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
That's just another bogeyman you socio-economically less-advantaged angry old white dudes like to harp on about, as you lament the fact that you are no longer kings with your HS diplomas and stay-at-home wives.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-26-21, 05:43 PM
  #7702  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 50,270

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9216 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
A dead gas car is way better.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 05:48 PM
  #7703  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 15,938
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Or asplodes and bursts into flames all the while your electronic door handles do not allow you to open a door.
I don't know about that. Truth is, if a modern car won't start, it isn't going to matter much what it is, most people are going to have it towed to the dealer, anyway.

The only electric door latch stories I have are from Corvettes. They have a button to open the door but there is a manual lever next to the seat with pictures on it and another near the rear hatch in case you lose electrical power.
We had one where the husband smashed the sunroof out with a hammer because his wife was inside the car. Had they read the owner's manual or even noticed the lever they could have just opened the door. Later some other knucklehead smashed out the side window for a similar reason. These people always demand we fix it for free because they didn't know how to open the door.

Last edited by big john; 02-26-21 at 05:55 PM.
big john is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 05:59 PM
  #7704  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 15,938
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,022 Posts
Cavendish doesn't like cars.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 02-26-21, 06:04 PM
  #7705  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
We had one where the husband smashed the sunroof out with a hammer because his wife was inside the car. Had they read the owner's manual or even noticed the lever they could have just opened the door. Later some other knucklehead smashed out the side window for a similar reason. These people always demand we fix it for free because they didn't know open the door.
Reminds me of when I was in college. Buddy of mine had locked his keys in his Pontiac G5 and didn't want to call a locksmith or the school due to the nature of what was locked in the car with the keys.

He busted out the tiny little triangular window on the rear quarter thinking it would be the cheapest to replace since it was the smallest - turns out it was one of the most expensive pieces of glass on the car
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-26-21, 06:05 PM
  #7706  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I agree with your assessment.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 06:12 PM
  #7707  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,938

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I don't know about that. Truth is, if a modern car won't start, it isn't going to matter much what it is, most people are going to have it towed to the dealer, anyway.

The only electric door latch stories I have are from Corvettes. They have a button to open the door but there is a manual lever next to the seat with pictures on it and another near the rear hatch in case you lose electrical power.
We had one where the husband smashed the sunroof out with a hammer because his wife was inside the car. Had they read the owner's manual or even noticed the lever they could have just opened the door. Later some other knucklehead smashed out the side window for a similar reason. These people always demand we fix it for free because they didn't know how to open the door.
What fantasy world would that be?
__________________
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
That's just another bogeyman you socio-economically less-advantaged angry old white dudes like to harp on about, as you lament the fact that you are no longer kings with your HS diplomas and stay-at-home wives.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-26-21, 06:18 PM
  #7708  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 15,938
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
What fantasy world would that be?
I know, right? We used to print pages from the owners manual and leave the pages in the car for the customer. I think men won't read it because they think they know enough about driving.
When Mrs John got a new used car several years ago she studied the owner's manual cover to cover. She figured out it had a telescoping steering wheel and I didn't know.
big john is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 06:20 PM
  #7709  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I think Mallory or someone makes a replacement that's a bit more robust than that thing. It's been a while, so I may be wrong. Either way, flatrating anything on those pos' was impossible.
yeah, I had 2 of them, they were $500.00 and no better than the Chinese ones, well, maybe a little. I'd get about 3 months out of them. I think they were made by Accel.
Just after I bought it, like October, it developed a vibration, felt like a miss. I did, tune up, another opti, cleaned injectors, head gaskets. Still shuddered around 1800, 2200, rim.
Turned out it was a junk 2800 stall converter. Unbolt it from the flywheel, smooth as ice.
Nothing about that drive train was easy.
I swapped in that ls1, never looked back. Its never given me any trouble. If it doesn't sell, tough I'll keep it. They can bury me in it.
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-26-21, 06:27 PM
  #7710  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I don't know about that. Truth is, if a modern car won't start, it isn't going to matter much what it is, most people are going to have it towed to the dealer, anyway.

The only electric door latch stories I have are from Corvettes. They have a button to open the door but there is a manual lever next to the seat with pictures on it and another near the rear hatch in case you lose electrical power.
We had one where the husband smashed the sunroof out with a hammer because his wife was inside the car. Had they read the owner's manual or even noticed the lever they could have just opened the door. Later some other knucklehead smashed out the side window for a similar reason. These people always demand we fix it for free because they didn't know how to open the door.
There have been reports of Tesla door handles not functioning in fires and other events.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-26-21, 06:34 PM
  #7711  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,938

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,285 Posts
It could be a Bricklin....
__________________
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
That's just another bogeyman you socio-economically less-advantaged angry old white dudes like to harp on about, as you lament the fact that you are no longer kings with your HS diplomas and stay-at-home wives.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-26-21, 06:43 PM
  #7712  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Under $9000 each?
Oh, hell yeah, lsx is easy and cheap. I have less than 6k in the camaro, possibly 7 in the 'bird as it sits. It needs a dyno tune, $800.00 some paint and body let's say another $1500. Puts me around 9k in the bird. But I was going to do a turbo build on this car. So I spent $2500 on the trans. Its built to hold 1000 hp. So I over built it a little to be safe. I was aiming for 750 at the wheels depending on boost. The part that killed it was the rear end. Everyone is building 8.8 fords for it but thats another 2k. If I bought a package. 500.00 if I built it, and another 6 months of b.s.
. Nah N.A good enough. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for street rods like that. Plus my employment is linked to my driving record. To much potential for stupid. Its plenty hot just N.A., twice I've put my foot in it in anger at 50 mph its broke the wheels loose.
5.3 with flat top pistons, ls9 cam, ported and polished 862 heads, removed swirl ramps bullet shaped the guides opened the bowls, milled .015. 42lbs. Injectors. Its not a lot but its enough. Hot rod mag. Did a stock 5.3 with the cam and it made 450 hp. I just need a good dyno tune to get the drivability right, shift points , open loop is too rich etc.
2500 stall, ( should have gone 3500) 3/42 gear.
ls01 is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 06:49 PM
  #7713  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Oh boy.





It's been like this for like 30 minutes
abshipp is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 06:50 PM
  #7714  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Electric vehicles are the future.
possibly. Maybe not mine. Depends on the financial side of things. I may spend the rest of my life rebuilding my junkers and build a still to make alcohol.
in 10 years I'll be 67. It'll be close. chevrolet says 2035 itll be all electric.. That puts me at 71, who knows?

Either way.
ls01 is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 06:52 PM
  #7715  
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,401

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100, Schwinn Circuit, Sante

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked 1,984 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
$37k for a car you can only drive 250 miles at a time, then have to get lucky enough to find a quick charge location to only spend a half hour at the juice station, or maybe an hour if it's a slow juice station, or forever if you have to plug it into a wall.

Might be nice in town, but not for driving around the west.
Worth noting that most people aren't driving around the west. Note also that the range keeps going up and the charging time keeps coming down, as does the cost of batteries.

I got a dollar says that people said the same thing about cars 100 years ago.
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-26-21, 06:52 PM
  #7716  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
So are electric bikes.

But, that does not make it right.
+ ellevenbillionty
ls01 is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:02 PM
  #7717  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts

A visual representation of how I feel.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:03 PM
  #7718  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Worth noting that most people aren't driving around the west. Note also that the range keeps going up and the charging time keeps coming down, as does the cost of batteries.

I got a dollar says that people said the same thing about cars 100 years ago.
Correct. Within a few years the EVs will be cheaper than the gas cars. Charge times go down, distance goes up.

You horse and buggy fans will see.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:06 PM
  #7719  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
A dead gas car is way better.
Its too early for them. They want the general public to buy them and do the r&d for them. There's no infrastructure to support thier use. The batteries are absolutely horrendous for the environment. Google earth a lithium mine. Both on the front end and back end. Not to mention they melt down like a nuke reactor when they get damaged. Running the heater cuts the mileage in half. That'll be great innthe winter.

They aren't ready for consumers yet.
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-26-21, 07:09 PM
  #7720  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
A visual representation of how I feel.
Take more drugs. Problem solved.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:10 PM
  #7721  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 10,229

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
What fantasy world would that be?
tantamount to reading the destructions!
ls01 is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:14 PM
  #7722  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 6,290

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4665 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Take more drugs. Problem solved.
I disagree with your assessment.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:14 PM
  #7723  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,135

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Worth noting that most people aren't driving around the west. Note also that the range keeps going up and the charging time keeps coming down, as does the cost of batteries.

I got a dollar says that people said the same thing about cars 100 years ago.
Yep they're getting better all the time. EVs were introduced before ICE vehicles became mainstream; imagine where they'd be today if they'd been under continuous development and infrastructure along with 'em.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:25 PM
  #7724  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
Its too early for them. They want the general public to buy them and do the r&d for them. There's no infrastructure to support thier use. The batteries are absolutely horrendous for the environment. Google earth a lithium mine. Both on the front end and back end. Not to mention they melt down like a nuke reactor when they get damaged. Running the heater cuts the mileage in half. That'll be great innthe winter.

They aren't ready for consumers yet.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 07:31 PM
  #7725  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
Its too early for them. They want the general public to buy them and do the r&d for them. There's no infrastructure to support thier use. The batteries are absolutely horrendous for the environment. Google earth a lithium mine. Both on the front end and back end. Not to mention they melt down like a nuke reactor when they get damaged. Running the heater cuts the mileage in half. That'll be great innthe winter.

They aren't ready for consumers yet.
Battery mine:


Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.