Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I want to fly and build my own aircraft

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I want to fly and build my own aircraft

Old 02-25-21, 11:05 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Getting paid to fly is the way to go. It may not easy to get started but once established, it ain't a bad gig. There's a joke that kind of sums it up. "When I was in school, I'd get bored and stare out the window. My teacher would inform me that I'll never make a living looking out the window. And, look at me now." It's not often that any two trips are the same. Weather, places, etc. are always different. Downside can be sleep schedule, weather, dealing with TSA/Customs/Immigration/Gate Agents/etc.
Likes For Will G:
Old 02-25-21, 11:25 AM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Will G View Post
Getting paid to fly is the way to go. It may not easy to get started but once established, it ain't a bad gig. There's a joke that kind of sums it up. "When I was in school, I'd get bored and stare out the window. My teacher would inform me that I'll never make a living looking out the window. And, look at me now." It's not often that any two trips are the same. Weather, places, etc. are always different. Downside can be sleep schedule, weather, dealing with TSA/Customs/Immigration/Gate Agents/etc.
It does beat working for a living. Now Im working corporate and when asked what seat I want left or right I always tell them my lazy boy chair at home. And the best trip I can see on my schedule is OFF.lol
Likes For cloud:
Old 02-25-21, 11:25 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 1,164 Posts
My uncle was a pilot for American Airlines and was based in DFW. I believe he is retired. My aunt is such a B she would complain that he is just a bus driver I said I think flying an airliner is quite a bit different than driving a bus. Heck I can drive a bus. My aunt is blood related and thankfully for my uncle’s sake he is not.
Old 02-26-21, 03:03 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
if you just want to FLY i suggest you consider an AUTOGYRO ... check them out ... they are very safe and reliable and the learning curve is short ... safer than ultra lights ''' cheaper than a porsche 911 ... a friend has one and he uses it on his ranch ... cops fly them instead of choppers

I turned a 4140 shaft for one powered by a turbocharged Subaru flat four for my boss on a 10" Southbend lathe of all things. It's what we used at one specialty shop for collet and small work and the only lathe in the place full of vertical manual mills . . . on company time of course. It flew but I didn't stay in contact to see if he ever crashed. He milled the splines if I remember correctly.

I do remember him saying that porpoising can be an issue with these things.
Old 02-26-21, 03:31 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

How much you willing to invest in a relaxing hobby? . . . both time and money. Here's a ĺ Scale Carbon-Fiber Mustang replica (Papa 51 Thunder Mustang is the kit and Dean Holt of Mount Vernon, Washington is the current assets owner) It's powered by a Falconer 601 ci, V-12, Liquid Cooled, Aircraft Engine, Rated at: 640+ hp.

Watch your 6:00

Last edited by Zinger; 02-26-21 at 03:49 AM.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 02-26-21, 01:19 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 87 Posts
I'm probably well past the age where I am likely to be able to find a way to make a living flying.

J.Higgin's point about the construction tools is well noted. I've got just about everything for wood or composite, but not much for alloy. I work with boats for a living.

I agree that the plan of getting a share in a practical - if mundane - aircraft is probably the best plan. However the first step is to actually pass my test!

Although I have enough financial resources to fund learning to fly and a build for a kit like this, I haven't really researched the on going costs like storage.

It's still a fun dream to have.
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 02-26-21, 02:07 PM
ahsposo 
Rock Hard Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5173 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,368 Posts
So is dating a supermodel...
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 02-26-21, 06:18 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Thought this history might be of interest to pilot wannabees as once I was. I had made enough summer money at 16 years old for either private pilot licensing (didn't have to have instruments qualifying then) or a car . . . about $600 either way. Well telling HS girls you're a pilot without an airplane doesn't add up to having a car so I made my choice not to become a crop duster pilot. Not to mention the danger reason once it came to deciding. No posthumous lollipop for crashed crop duster pilots.
After Pearl Harbor was attacked the Army Air Corps was enlisting High School Graduates without College into pilot training if they made the cut through some aptitude tests. That was an easier era to get some quality flight time if you lived through it.
My dad somehow cheated the distance perception test by walking off the distance of the windows in the facility and used the shadows from those to get through as did some other enlistees. Well he drove a landing gear through the wing of a Ryan Trainer upon his first and last landing. He then declined an offer for volunteers for Glider training (whom they solicited from pilot training washouts) so they made a gunner out of him in A20 and A26 light bombers in a parafrag bomb group that operated against IJA airfields, Japanese commercial shipping etc, from New Guinea to Japan.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 02-27-21, 07:03 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
It's still a fun dream to have.
The secret to life, my friend!