Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 03-01-21, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Here is a little blurb I found. Realize these are AVERAGES but cyclists who don't do weight-bearing exercises are at even higher risk for bone loss. Sad!

​​​​​​ The Framingham Osteoporosis Study evaluated the BMD at the hip, lumbar spine and the radius in 800 elderly men and women with mean age of 74 years [13]. They showed that the average 4-year bone loss at all sites was 0.2-3.6% for men compared with 3.4-4.8% for women.
So, the two distributions JUST BARELY overlap? Geez! I think I need to get Mrs. GeneJockey to walk the little dog with the Greyhound and me!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-01-21, 03:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I remember the discussions back in the 1980s about the reason audiophiles preferred vinyl and vacuum tubes was that these 'enhanced' the sound - tubes particularly producing a 'warmer' sound in the midrange - and whether the goal should be more accurate sound, even if it wasn't as pleasing.

Which strikes me as an odd discussion to have -
"This sounds like crap!"
"Yeah? Well maybe the original recording session sounded like crap! Shouldn't we listen to the crappy, but correct sound?"
Oh, that discussion is still going today.
Old 03-01-21, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, that discussion is still going today.
I can't say I'm surprised, since there's not really a way to definitively answer what is ultimately a question of taste and opinion.

Old 03-01-21, 03:55 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,298 Posts
What you're doing is similar to saying that all bikes are horrible because you've only ridden a discount store bike assembled by a part-time, minimum wage worker. While I'll readily admit that vinyl gives you a lot of opportunities to mess it up (condition of the record, inappropriately matched equipment, improper set-up, etc), if done with just a little bit of care, it's fan-freakin-tastic.
So, yeah, hard to believe that 1890s technology is inferior, but it is.

Large, awkwardly-shaped media that gets scratched up or warps
Player with delicate parts that break
If you want to play just one song you have to load up giant disc, and pinpoint the spot on the record to put the needle, which will probably take several tries. Repeat process if you want to listen again

Meanwhile, with digital you just plop in the disc, if one is even needed, push a couple buttons and you're listening to crisp, superior sound, and can FF, Rewind, Repeat as your heart desires with a push of the button.
Old 03-01-21, 03:56 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't need any moles removed.
are you a mole? Or are you a vole? i get confused.
Old 03-01-21, 04:00 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by datlas
Need any voles removed??
oops I see you beat me to it. I am waiting for my laser treatment.
#Qausi-Science
#Pseudo-Science
#YouDecide
Old 03-01-21, 04:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Says the man who rides a bicycle.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 04:03 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Why is Douglas a neighbour and I'm a quasi-neighbour?
I'm not a neighbour I'm a neighbor. Try to keep up.
SMFH
Old 03-01-21, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I need some moles removed. Little buggers are undermining the yard, leaving holes, and the Greyhound is only just recovered from tripping in a hole the little dog dug in his racetrack.

I imagine a dermatologist would charge way too much for that, though, and my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Old 03-01-21, 04:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by DougRNS
I'm not a neighbour I'm a neighbor. Try to keep up.
SMFH
Canada is our nearest neighbour. We're their nearest neighbor.

Old 03-01-21, 04:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

So, when I'm descending, that's always in my head - what might have been.
I'm such a descent wuss, I will let anyone pass me so I can descend alone. I'm done testing the limits on turns. So many things have happened over the years.
One time 12 of us were descending a twisty, steep thing and I had just passed one and getting ready to pass another on an off-camber right when he clipped a reflector(I think) and went shooting across the road and part way up the embankment, landing unconscious face down in some water in a ditch. I was the first one to get to him and I pulled him out of the water. He came to after a few minutes and wasn't badly hurt. He told people I saved his life by pulling his head out of the water.

I think a lot of recreational riders descend twisty roads faster than they should. You can still have fun without pushing it.
Old 03-01-21, 04:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
#QuackMedicine
Fixed.
Old 03-01-21, 04:20 PM
WhyFi

If you want to play just one song you have to load up giant disc, and pinpoint the spot on the record to put the needle, which will probably take several tries. Repeat process if you want to listen again

Meanwhile, with digital you just plop in the disc, if one is even needed, push a couple buttons and you're listening to crisp, superior sound, and can FF, Rewind, Repeat as your heart desires with a push of the button.
This all falls under convenience, which was the first thing that I conceded (though it could provide a potentially interesting conversation about how the method of media consumption may have influenced media output... Is there less of a focus on albums as a conceptual whole in favor of popping out one good song, two mediocre and misc dreck filling the rest of the 45 minutes?). I'm primarily interested in and discussing how engaging the playback is.
Old 03-01-21, 04:27 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by big john
I'm such a descent wuss, I will let anyone pass me so I can descend alone.
Yeah, I would generally rather be behind than in front. There isn't enough elevation around my area for me to feel like I'm a polished descender. If I'm not familiar with the road, I'm going to be conservative so that I don't overcook a curve, and I don't want someone rushing up my backside. And, most importantly, if I pick a ****** line, I don't want someone mocking me later.
Old 03-01-21, 04:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm such a descent wuss, I will let anyone pass me so I can descend alone. I'm done testing the limits on turns. So many things have happened over the years.
One time 12 of us were descending a twisty, steep thing and I had just passed one and getting ready to pass another on an off-camber right when he clipped a reflector(I think) and went shooting across the road and part way up the embankment, landing unconscious face down in some water in a ditch. I was the first one to get to him and I pulled him out of the water. He came to after a few minutes and wasn't badly hurt. He told people I saved his life by pulling his head out of the water.

I think a lot of recreational riders descend twisty roads faster than they should. You can still have fun without pushing it.
Those off-camber turns will get you. There's one that I have experienced a couple times, once riding a Century and another time on a group ride. Not only off camber, but decreasing radius. So bad, they put special signage on it for the Century. I remember hitting that corner in the Century and thinking, "WHOA! Holy ****! No wonder they put up those signs!"

On the group ride, our group had splintered on a climb and the subsequent descent, so I was one of the first to get to the next rally point. Another couple riders came in after me in the next minute or so. Then nobody. For like, 5 minutes. Finally, we started to head back the way we'd come, wondering what was up. One of the group had come around the corner to find another of us lying on the road unconscious with his bike up against the guardrail. He was okay, passed out only for a bit, but he got a ride home anyway, for obvious reasons.

Old 03-01-21, 04:35 PM
big john

Yeah, I would generally rather be behind than in front. There isn't enough elevation around my area for me to feel like I'm a polished descender. If I'm not familiar with the road, I'm going to be conservative so that I don't overcook a curve, and I don't want someone rushing up my backside. And, most importantly, if I pick a ****** line, I don't want someone mocking me later.
In the past, I would do hairball descents with other riders, as long as I knew and trusted them. Now I don't want to be near others with a few exceptions. If it's straight or super wide it's not as concerning. I tend to stay right around others so they can pass if they want. I had an idiot come around on my right and barely squeeze through on a mountain road. I yelled at him later.
Old 03-01-21, 04:43 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13638 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,468 Posts
I (the family) had records when I was a young ute. Hard pass.

Prolly
Old 03-01-21, 04:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Just checked the tracking on the rear 8 speed shifter for the Cannondale. After 14 days of "Tracking Number Provided", it suddenly loaded 3 days of tracking, including delivery.

Oh, and I went ahead and bought a matched set of wheels - RX100 hubs and gray-anodized Trek rims, from the right time period. AND tires - 25s, because I'd have to be nuts to go back to riding a Cannondale from the 1990s on 23s!

Once I get the frame back with the new BB and crank, I foresee a happy night of wrenching in the garage....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 04:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rjones28

Prolly
Needs a quarter on the tone arm for tracking force.

Old 03-01-21, 04:50 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11319 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
In the past, I would do hairball descents with other riders, as long as I knew and trusted them. Now I don't want to be near others with a few exceptions. If it's straight or super wide it's not as concerning. I tend to stay right around others so they can pass if they want. I had an idiot come around on my right and barely squeeze through on a mountain road. I yelled at him later.
I had two Harleys pass me on the right. It was weird, but I was doing well over the limit, so I didn't feel I had to hang on the right of the road. I knew the road got a bit more twisty, so I did what I could to hang with them until it did, then once I caught them, I was in their mirrors the whole time.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-01-21, 04:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've always been a chicken descender. It's worse now because I haven't been doing it, so I don't have the confidence.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 04:56 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13638 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,468 Posts

You're still listening to CDs? Luddite.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-01-21, 04:57 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
I had two Harleys pass me on the right. It was weird, but I was doing well over the limit, so I didn't feel I had to hang on the right of the road. I knew the road got a bit more twisty, so I did what I could to hang with them until it did, then once I caught them, I was in their mirrors the whole time.
Two of us were descending into Ojai valley and we caught up to a pick up truck and we were about to pass him and he wasn't going to let us. He was squealing the tires and almost lost it so we backed off. He had a woman and a child in the car with him.
Old 03-01-21, 05:01 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11319 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Two of us were descending into Ojai valley and we caught up to a pick up truck and we were about to pass him and he wasn't going to let us. He was squealing the tires and almost lost it so we backed off. He had a woman and a child in the car with him.
People are weird, and that's even worse.

The bikers were smiling and pointing after a a bit. It was all good fun.
Old 03-01-21, 05:05 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
People are weird, and that's even worse.

The bikers were smiling and pointing after a a bit. It was all good fun.
Yeah I've ridden close to motorcycles before. I like to be sure they know I'm there but many of them are cool with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.