Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 03-02-21, 08:34 AM
  #8126  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 15,938
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Fixed. Just saying, as outsiders we can never be sure without consulting authorized spokespersons.
Actually, I'm not sure if that was the intent of the song but it sounded like that to me. Wish I could hear it again to be sure.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 03-02-21, 08:37 AM
  #8127  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Overall I like my record collection a lot but one album in particular sticks out as being kind of annoying. I can't remember which one it is exactly but it's a full length record spanning four sides - the only issue is that it's fairly short for a full length so each side is only like 10 minutes. Kind of annoying having to switch sides so quickly and so often, it really kills any kind of flow the album has.



I'd say 95% of my music listening is full albums. Typically (at least on my iPod) I'll let it play on shuffle until I hear something I like and then I'll just go listen to that whole album. Otherwise if I'm at my computer I can browse through my collection until something catches my eye.
The newest Coldplay album is like that - 4 short sides. And, it's not a very good album to begin with.

Did you say iPod? Do they still make those?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:37 AM
  #8128  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,191
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12742 Post(s)
Liked 5,027 Times in 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
For us, it was "Night At The Zoo", which was all good fun, till we tried to sleep, with various roars and hoots and the goddam peacocks "HooWAH, hooWAH"-ing all goddam night.
While I love hearing owls, I have been kept awake by them several times. The coolest animal camping experience I have had was camping at a place next to the Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ. I was stirring in the tent the next morning when they started to howl. Took a tour later that morning.

The place had a couple of bobcats as well.



indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:42 AM
  #8129  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I listen to Member Supported Public Television, Radio | PBS | WCNY. Especially from 10am until 2pm on weekdays.
I used to listen to WSYR in the afternoon when I lived there- there was some local guy hosting that I couldn't stand, but the callers were always incredibly entertaining....
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:43 AM
  #8130  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,938

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,285 Posts
FedEx can pound sand. If it's promised for Wednesday, it will sit for 3 days, until Wednesday.
__________________
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
That's just another bogeyman you socio-economically less-advantaged angry old white dudes like to harp on about, as you lament the fact that you are no longer kings with your HS diplomas and stay-at-home wives.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-02-21, 08:43 AM
  #8131  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
And then there is Amazon. Last night the driver dropped these packages in the shrubs outside my office. It was after hours and nothing was open. Plainly visible from the street and the drive into the office park.

The only reason I caught it was I checked the delivery status because they were scheduled for delivery today. The Amazon site said "delivered to a secure location." Had to go back to the office or they would have stayed there overnight. Or not.
I've been having a ton of packages be "undeliverable" because Amazon Logistics somehow damaged them while in transit. What's interesting is that these items usually cost a dollar or two more when I have to re-order them.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:45 AM
  #8132  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,003

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5933 Post(s)
Liked 2,626 Times in 1,452 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Man, you've got it worse that me. In my defense, though, I'm extra frustrated waiting on a couple of little accessories that are required to actually use a piece of woodworking equipment that I bought last week - nothing like having a new toy tool staring you in the face and not being able to use it because you're waiting on a $10 part.
I feel you, brother.

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
FedEx can pound sand. If it's promised for Wednesday, it will sit for 3 days, until Wednesday.
Space available, as they say.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 03-02-21, 08:48 AM
  #8133  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,938

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I feel you, brother.


Space available, as they say.
True
__________________
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
That's just another bogeyman you socio-economically less-advantaged angry old white dudes like to harp on about, as you lament the fact that you are no longer kings with your HS diplomas and stay-at-home wives.
LAJ is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:52 AM
  #8134  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I do confess to liking the fact that Echoes, on Pink Floyd's Meddle, takes up an entire side of the album.

Side note: I really like Meddle, and Fearless is one of my favorite Floyd songs.
Ah long songs are my favorite!

Also I really like bands that put out albums where each song runs in to one another so from start to finish it's a continuous piece.

I'll check that out - a few months ago I tried to go on a more deep dive to Floyd's catalog since all I really know is The Wall, DSOTM, etc. - all the big ones. I got a little overwhelmed at how much there was.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 08:57 AM
  #8135  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Did you say iPod? Do they still make those?
The Classic isn't being made anymore. I've got an old 30gb that's holding on to dear life in my truck, it has to remain plugged in all the time and the 3.5mm jack is dead but the head unit in the vehicle can power and control it.

I had a 160gb classic that I lost a few years ago, I'm still a little sad about that There's a lot of them available on eBay but it's just something that I don't really need to spend any money on, especially since so much music is available on streaming services. The only thing I really miss about it is being able to scroll through my library when I don't know what to listen to.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:02 AM
  #8136  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
The Classic isn't being made anymore. I've got an old 30gb that's holding on to dear life in my truck, it has to remain plugged in all the time and the 3.5mm jack is dead but the head unit in the vehicle can power and control it.

I had a 160gb classic that I lost a few years ago, I'm still a little sad about that There's a lot of them available on eBay but it's just something that I don't really need to spend any money on, especially since so much music is available on streaming services. The only thing I really miss about it is being able to scroll through my library when I don't know what to listen to.
I'd bet even Velo has moved to storing his music on his phone when he is not listening to YouTube.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:18 AM
  #8137  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
I'd bet even Velo has moved to storing his music on his phone when he is not listening to YouTube.
I specifically got the phone I have so that I would be able to fit all the music I would want to on it.

2 years later and I still haven't moved any of my collection on to it
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:19 AM
  #8138  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Ah long songs are my favorite!

Also I really like bands that put out albums where each song runs in to one another so from start to finish it's a continuous piece.

I'll check that out - a few months ago I tried to go on a more deep dive to Floyd's catalog since all I really know is The Wall, DSOTM, etc. - all the big ones. I got a little overwhelmed at how much there was.
Meddle is an odd jumble - it foreshadows what's to come, but also has some trippy, jazzy, bluesy stuff.

Wish You Were Here might be my favorite Floyd album and it is certainly a complete album, a thematic whole.

Animals is also a good, full album listen.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:23 AM
  #8139  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 28,815

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8562 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,249 Posts
I can't remember the last time I listened to a whole album, but there's a good reason for that.

In the early days of iPod storage capacity was limited, so I only uploaded my favorite songs and virtually NO entire albums. Even to this day while I have "just" 3,000 songs on my mobile devices there are very few whole albums on there . . . maybe one Aretha, one Lionel, one Stevie, one Miles, one Sade . . . and 2 King Curtis I think.

But I never listen to them as a contiguous album, only as separate songs. Whole album listening basically died for me in the 70s when I started putting together mixed cassette tapes.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:31 AM
  #8140  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,135

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Overall I like my record collection a lot but one album in particular sticks out as being kind of annoying. I can't remember which one it is exactly but it's a full length record spanning four sides - the only issue is that it's fairly short for a full length so each side is only like 10 minutes. Kind of annoying having to switch sides so quickly and so often, it really kills any kind of flow the album has.
10 min sides! Is it 45 rpm?
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:34 AM
  #8141  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
What is the storage capacity of a record side? 50 MB?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:35 AM
  #8142  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Meddle is an odd jumble - it foreshadows what's to come, but also has some trippy, jazzy, bluesy stuff.

Wish You Were Here might be my favorite Floyd album and it is certainly a complete album, a thematic whole.

Animals is also a good, full album listen.
I'm listening through it right now. "San Tropez" might as well be a Beatles song

I have a copy of Animals on vinyl That is a good one, fairly short but in a good way.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:37 AM
  #8143  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
10 min sides! Is it 45 rpm?
I might be exaggerating a little bit, but that's certainly what it feels like!

Like I said, I can't remember exactly which album it is, but one of the ones I suspect has a 54min run time over 4 sides which averages to 13.5 min/side.
abshipp is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:40 AM
  #8144  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 40,140

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17206 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Like I said, I can't remember exactly which album it is, but one of the ones I suspect has a 54min run time over 4 sides which averages to 13.5 min/side.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:51 AM
  #8145  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
What is the storage capacity of a record side? 50 MB?
As a musician, I would think that you, perhaps more than or at least as much as anyone else on here, would appreciate the art that is involved in the vinyl format. From the album covers, sleeves and inserts, to the order in which the tracks are arranged and transition, to the tonality of the music, vinyl albums convey a sense of art that is missing in CDs, MP3s, and streaming formats.

When your community band performs a concert, is the music chosen so there is a flow to the set, or do you just randomly select 3, 4, or 5 songs that are disjointed from one another and awkwardly transition?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:53 AM
  #8146  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I specifically got the phone I have so that I would be able to fit all the music I would want to on it.

2 years later and I still haven't moved any of my collection on to it
That's pretty funny. I'm not so good at it either. I'm better at putting albums on a thumb drive to play in my car since I can't stand the radio with DJ jabber and the commercials. But, more and more, I seem to be turning to Pandora.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 09:54 AM
  #8147  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,768

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16053 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 2,531 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I'm listening through it right now. "San Tropez" might as well be a Beatles song
I also have an odd affinity for the very out-of-character "Seamus."

But again - Fearless.

Now I'm going to have to cue up the album while I make dinner. Which is what I'm doing now.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-21, 10:01 AM
  #8148  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,135

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I specifically got the phone I have so that I would be able to fit all the music I would want to on it.

2 years later and I still haven't moved any of my collection on to it
My tunes are all on a Micro SD card, just move that to a new phone every 2-5 years. I need to rip some more albums and copy those tunes to my SD, it looks like it's only 1/3 full.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 10:01 AM
  #8149  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,942

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 103 Posts
Getting my first vaccination shot today!!!!!!! About time.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 10:04 AM
  #8150  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,135

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6682 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I also have an odd affinity for the very out-of-character "Seamus."

But again - Fearless.

Now I'm going to have to cue up the album while I make dinner. Which is what I'm doing now.
Dinner? Did you move to Europe?
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.