Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jan Ullrich's Bike on eBay

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-20-06, 12:06 PM
jbonus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought you might want to check out Der Kaiser's ride.

"Here is your chance to not only own a supreme bicycle, but a serious collector’s piece and well, some serious bragging rights.
This IS Jan Ullirch’s bike that was bought at the T-Mobile warehouse in Belgium. It was ridden by him in the past years Tour de France and it is perfect condition. It even has the little rivet on the top tube where the pros hang their racing number. The bike also includes Ullrich's bike bag with his name written in marker and his actual airline address tag. This is the real deal. Besides this being a legend’s bike, this is a supreme ride. Featured on the cover of the 2005 Velo New Buyers Guide, Giant has revolutionized frame design with their compact geometry. This allows the bike have a smaller, stiffer, more agile bike. It accelerates like a thoroughbred, climbs like a goat and handles like an F1 Ferrari car. Teamed up will all Dura Ace components, including their killer wheelset; which are very fast and durable, pedals, Hollowtech cranks external bottom bracket.

Other components also include a Deda Newton bar and stem (140mm), a working Sigma bike computer and a Sella Itallia seat.

All I do is stare at this bike and contemplate not selling it, but I will put it up here to see what happens. The bike is a Medium-Large which is about a 56cm. You can see more about the geometry here and more about the T-Mobile team here .

Please check my 100% positive feedback and know that this is a legitimate sale. Don’t miss out on a chance to own a bike that you can take out for race or century days and then hang up on the wall in the rec room and boast about. Happy bidding!"

https://cgi.ebay.com/Jan-Ullrichs-05-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-20-06, 12:22 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Own a piece of history, the bike Jan rode when Lance handed him his arse for the umpteenth time.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 02-20-06, 01:12 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the Market Place/For Sale?
Old 02-20-06, 02:35 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2873 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 217 Posts
How would you authenticate a bike like this? Do you just have to take the sellers word for it? Looks like its got pretty standard wheels to and there pretty blurry pictures.

Regards, Anthony
Old 02-20-06, 02:53 PM
The Seldom Kill
imminent danger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Complete lack of provenance which means it's probably time to invoke the "if it's too good to be true" law.
Old 02-20-06, 03:23 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
other than the name on the side, i'm not sure how else you could know. maybe check out the seriel number??
Old 02-20-06, 03:49 PM
The Seldom Kill
imminent danger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By provenance I mean that the seller doesn't offer any history on the bicycle regarding what happened to it after the tour and how it came into his possession and exactly why he is selling such an item. It appears a little unrealistic that a private seller has a) managed to obtain such an item (although it is within the realms of possibility) and b) is selling it on e-bay whereas he might expect far more favourable returns from offering it to a more commercial audience.
Old 02-20-06, 04:16 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might be the real thing. Before bidding, I would ask if the seller has a bill of sale from the T-Mobile warehouse that confirms his story. I wouldn’t buy anything this expensive on eBay without doing a little due diligence.

The price range is reasonable if it’s genuine.
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 02-20-06, 05:38 PM
Fred Smedley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can't comment on it actually being Jan's bike or not , but no way would I spent big bucks on a light AL. bike that was raced for two years by one of the strongest pro riders going unless I planned to hang it on the wall. My guess is it was ready to be retired or it would not of been warehoused.
Old 02-20-06, 05:51 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- it's on eBay - total BS...

- if you're a fool, go ahead and bid - i'm sure you have more money than you know what to do with, and the bike is surely a good investment, eh?

p.s. see if you can get it autographed? now that might add how much to the bike's value?

:-)
Old 02-20-06, 07:55 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they need to flip the stem.

Steve W
Who is ducking and hiding
Old 02-21-06, 04:13 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 127 Posts
Fleabay eh.... If P.T.Barnum was around today I'm sure he'd take one look at fleabay and say "another one registers every day..."

If you beleive that bike is the genuine article then I have a freeway for sale you may be interested in - you'll make a fortune from the toll booths, trust me
Old 02-21-06, 04:33 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I went to Walter Godefroots bikeshop on the outskirts of Gent last October. I'm fairly sure it was the T Mobile service de course. The 5 T-Mobile team cars and one truck parked down the side might have been the give away.

Beautiful shop, plenty full of top class bikes. There was a T Mobile Kazakstan champions jersey and shorts autographed by Alexandre Vinokourov under the glass counter.
Old 02-21-06, 07:46 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jan is so popular, yet nobody has bid on this bike!