Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The wait is over - it's mine!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The wait is over - it's mine!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 10:19 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Nice to see a Cervelo that doesn't look like someone lifted it from the CSC camp.
Old 03-13-06, 12:48 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
Congratulations. She's a real beauty. Now, if only it will warm up around here...... I'm sure you've alread been out on it. I'm interested in your impressions once you've got a few clicks on it.

I'll be looking for that Cervelo out on highway 1a or 22x sometime this spring.

T.J.
Thanks! I wave at everyone, so you'll see me at the end of the longest line, sucking wind, smiling through bug-encrusted teeth. I usually ride 1A, Hwy 8, Hwy 40 and a variety of loops that involve pubs and/or gelato.

I was going to head out on Sunday, but it was snowing and I was hungover. I've been told that the first TT race of the year is in three weeks. I'll likely have to give that one a miss. I think I'm going snowboarding that weekend...

Cypress - I'm not a big fan of the "Team" look, so yeah, std. wheels were fine by me. Plus, the stock wheels were really uncomfortable, although I'm sure they would be very fast. Watch out for the Cervelo brakes - they have no stopping power whatsoever. They suggest deceleration, but that's it.
Old 03-13-06, 02:10 PM
Chubbychicken

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike indeed! I love nude carbon.
Old 03-13-06, 02:59 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
What is 7.25 kg in pounds?
In response to the... um response, to this question:

I can never remember the conversion factor either. Another poster pointed out that it's 2.2 (roughly) but what I usually do is go to a google search page (it's helpful if you have a search bar built into your browser like with firefox, or IE install) and just type in the conversion you're looking for. I beleive the feature is known simply as 'google calculator'.

For instance, if you heard that the last stage of the TDF was lik 216Km, you could just type: "216 km in mi" and google will tell you that it's like 134 miles. Or "7.25 kg in lbs" to get about 16 lbs. I find it pretty helpful.

Back on topic though. I thought the conversation was hilarious, partly because of its vagueness. When he asks "What bike?", my first thought was that he just simply forgot that he had a Cervelo on lay away. But after reading the whole conversaion I thought, perhaps he just got it confused with one of his many bikes that he may have in his stable or at the shop. It would have been even funnier if he said, "The Cervelo? I'm sorry, but you'll have to be more specific than that"
Old 03-13-06, 03:18 PM
mrt10x
Dumb@s$ Jarhead

Bikes: Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is 7.25 kg in pounds?
I like this site.. helps with those KG to lbs and grams to lbs conversions to see if an upgrade is really worth the cost.
https://www.onlineconversion.com/weight.htm
Old 03-13-06, 04:30 PM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your cat looks like she's got some American Shorthair in her mix. The moire pattern on her neck. Cute.
Old 03-13-06, 07:46 PM
Aidan_K
Mmmm... carbon!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me, or does the fork on these Cervelos look odd? Not in a bad way, just different.
Old 03-14-06, 02:33 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbonus
Your cat looks like she's got some American Shorthair in her mix. The moire pattern on her neck. Cute.
Chixdiggit. Seriously, it's a very attractive cat. There's a very big diamond shape from the base of the neck down across the shoulder blades. My wife calls her "Slippers" from time to time, as in "If that ****ing cat doesn't shut up, it's going to be a nice pair of slippers".

BOT
I have no basis of comparison for the fork being different than others. All my forks are either suspension or regular metal. I read that Cervelo did a bunch of hydrodynamic analysis on all the frame members to optimize their profiles. Nerds.
Old 03-14-06, 04:02 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gurana
In response to the... um response, to this question:

I can never remember the conversion factor either. Another poster pointed out that it's 2.2 (roughly) but what I usually do is go to a google search page (it's helpful if you have a search bar built into your browser like with firefox, or IE install) and just type in the conversion you're looking for. I beleive the feature is known simply as 'google calculator'.

For instance, if you heard that the last stage of the TDF was lik 216Km, you could just type: "216 km in mi" and google will tell you that it's like 134 miles. Or "7.25 kg in lbs" to get about 16 lbs. I find it pretty helpful.
Oh, I have Firefox and all, but I didn't feel like hitting control-t to open up another session and searching for a conversion calculator....even though it only takes like 15-20 seconds to find a good one. I was just feeling particularly lazy the other day.....

I love the paint scheme on the bike....in fact, I really like the way the bike looks.
Old 03-14-06, 04:24 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, I have Firefox and all, but I didn't feel like hitting control-t to open up another session and searching for a conversion calculator....even though it only takes like 15-20 seconds to find a good one. I was just feeling particularly lazy the other day.....

I love the paint scheme on the bike....in fact, I really like the way the bike looks.

That's cool. Just to clarify though, you don't have to search for a conversion calculator. It's integrated into google search. From any google search field (such as the one built into firefox) you could just type in the conversion you're looking for.

For those interested, I believe it also does currency conversions, so if you need to know how many euros you need to purchase a bike while in italy, simply go to google and find out that $2500 is roughly 2100 euros.
Old 03-14-06, 05:10 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cypress
Nice to see a Cervelo that doesn't look like someone lifted it from the CSC camp.
Did Cervelo use this colour scheme before sponsoring CSC, or vice versa? Were post-2004 cervelos only painted red and black after CSC's much publicized successes?

Old 03-14-06, 05:18 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
Did Cervelo use this colour scheme before sponsoring CSC, or vice versa? Were post-2004 cervelos only painted red and black after CSC's much publicized successes?

I have no clue.

Like many people on this forum, I'd never heard of Cervelo until CSC became a hit. It seems to be becoming the new Trek. "I saw it on TV winning that big race over in Paris, I want one" kind of deal.

Personally, I think the Soloist looks like it would be a pain in the ass if a large crosswind were to arise.
The "traditionaly" tubed Cervelos are nice though.
Old 03-15-06, 08:50 AM
GT-FOUR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*Great* looking bike! Pick it up from Bow Cycle?

I'm also riding my first full carbon bike this year. So far, loving it. I just wish that it would warm up just a tad. First TT in 3 weeks? Eek! First one I see is April 29. Which one is this? MTB season starts April 23...so hard to stay in shape over winter!
Old 03-15-06, 08:57 AM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reneuend
...for once someone has a nice clean room!
except for the piece of paper in the tray on the coffee table.....

cat's name?

oh yeah, nice bike!
Old 03-15-06, 11:54 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-FOUR
*Great* looking bike! Pick it up from Bow Cycle?

I'm also riding my first full carbon bike this year. So far, loving it. I just wish that it would warm up just a tad. First TT in 3 weeks? Eek! First one I see is April 29. Which one is this? MTB season starts April 23...so hard to stay in shape over winter!
First TT on April 29 - I have been misinformed! That's still freaking early.

Yah, I got it at Bow from Bob. I was pretty excited when I picked it up and couldn't really understand the receipt [hangover]. They're good folks, those Bow Cycle people.
Old 03-15-06, 11:59 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ostuni
except for the piece of paper in the tray on the coffee table.....

cat's name?

oh yeah, nice bike!
It's a recipe for chocolate cake - and you ain't getting any!

Potato [It was a stray that was taken in by MEOW Foundation and placed in a foster home. The kid in the foster home couldn't pronounce "Paquito", which was the cat's foster name. The kid called her potato, and we figured, why not. The other cat (out of the shot) is Molly, named after a character in William Gibson's Neuromancer.]

Thanks! I was just staring at it for several minutes yesterday. Then I converted my old road bike to a commuting single-speed.
Old 03-15-06, 12:09 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So.... did you get out for a serious ride on it yet?
Old 03-15-06, 12:37 PM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a sweet bike! Congrats on finally getting it. You probably got the call because the last time I was at Bow, Bob and I were talking about the Ti/CF Seven hanging from the ceiling then he showed me your bike and and I said I'd buy it right then and there!

But seriously, I haven't been in Calgary for a couple of weeks...are we due for any warm weather? Hopefully it'll be nice when I get back next week.
Old 03-15-06, 05:56 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TJ and Never - I haven't been out for a ride on the bike yet. I only got it on Saturday, and it's y'know - winter. I promise to go for a spin on Saturday unless it snows. There isn't a big warming trend on the horizon for Calgary. The snow on Saturday is iffy, but the warming trend doesn't start until next week sometime.

I really am looking forward to getting oot and aboot on the new bike. It's so pretty. I'm probably going to need a few new jerseys to score some OCP points.
Old 03-15-06, 06:03 PM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad we aren't having weather like we did for the last several months of "winter".

But whenever you take it for a spin, let us know how it goes. You probably won't even notice it when you're riding it because of the 2-3kg difference from your old bike.
Old 03-15-06, 08:54 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
More photos:

I will update the first photo in the thread to something better...
part of me thinks that second photo is really artsy.
Old 03-16-06, 11:38 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
part of me thinks that second photo is really artsy.
A little perspective never hurt anyone.
Old 03-16-06, 05:00 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
A little perspective never hurt anyone.
well its cool because you have that angle of the bike. And then in the backround you have the cat. Then the lighting is pretty darn perfect!
Old 03-16-06, 10:00 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
well its cool because you have that angle of the bike. And then in the backround you have the cat. Then the lighting is pretty darn perfect!
[southernbelle]Well thank you sir! Ah do declare y'all are goin' to give me a case of the vapors![/southernbelle]

It's surprisingly tough to get pictures of the cats. They keep moving. Almost all the shots we have are of them sleeping or lying on a warm spot. As to my questionable composition skills, I was worried that the flat light coming through the window would wash out the shot, but it's digital, so it's compensated for somehow. Someday I'll get a big honking SLR and do moody, high-contrast action shots on singletrack and rainy days.
Old 04-02-06, 04:19 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got out on the road today. A friend and I did a loop through a rich neighborhood, then through downtown, then crawled up the hill to get back to my house, about an hour. The bike was almost flawless. The shifting was perfect - smooth like a baby's bottom. The brakes were really strong, but with excellent modulation. I'm so glad I went with Chorus instead of the craptastic Cervelo calipers. The ride - oh my! One of the reasons I wanted to go through the rich neighborhhod was to ride crappy roads with no gravel. The bike was amazing. Despite cracked and chunky pavement at every turn, I barely felt it through the saddle and not at all through the bars. Wow. I also sprinted up a few hills [I gave my buddy "the look"], and I could not get the rings to rub on the front derailleur no matter what I did. It accelerates like there's a jet engine back there, and it's soooooo smoooooth. No twitchiness at all.

Was there anything bad about the bike? Yes. The tires [Vittoria Diamante Pro Light] are pretty weak. The rear tire was flat by the time I got back to the house. I had them at 140 psi, and I got a small puncture sometime in my 20 km ride. I'll go pick up some sturdier [albeit heavier] tires at MEC or something. The tires felt great, and they are very light, but there's too much crap on the road to run them reliably. I suppose I could go sweep the shoulders of all the roads in a 100 km radius, but that would take a while.

In summary, the bike kicks major ass. More comfortable than I could have imagined, and it sprints like nothing I've ever been on. Thanks to Bow Cycle in Calgary for hooking me up.