Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Does anyone still not wear their seatbelt?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Does anyone still not wear their seatbelt?

Old 04-28-06, 06:34 AM
  #126  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Personally, I think all helmet- and belt-laws should be repealed and "DoNotSave" cards issued. Kinda like the organ-donor dot on your driver's license, it should be optional. They should repeal the laws that require life-threatening injuries to be automatically treated at hospital. Then when you get into a wreck, if you've checked off the "DoNotSave" option on your license, they can just leave you (or if you don't have health-insurance). Only people with health-insurance will get taken to hospital. I think that's the best compromise between personal-freedom and the socialistic emergency system we have now...
I can agree with that to a point, Danno. Heck I remember when I was the 'commish' and I told my cops, EMTs and firefighters that, if I was ever really messed up but alive, don't call the ambulance, just dump me in a ditch someplace and put me out of my misery.

Two thoughts to ponder:

1. All life has value. If it takes a law to require trying to save someone from their injuries, our world is more screwed up than even I thought. If someone is hurt, we do what we can to save them - it's the human thing to do.

2. While you and I might be lucky enough to have lots of health insurance, there are others, through no fault of their own, who do not. Imagine if the patient in question is the child of some family who does not have insurance...shall we not take the kid to the hospital? Have we come to the point in our society that we only value the lives of those who can pay?
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 06:41 AM
  #127  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by belfast-biker
For the record, I have no huge objection to someone not wearing a helmet (although my own children WILL wear a helmet), but when someone who would have othewrwise worn a helmet, chooses NOT to wear one purely because it's compulsory, that's Darwinism folks.
Then someone like me comes along and blows your Darwin theory away because I live and thrive without falling in line with your obsession to control what others do, or subscribing to your fears and letting it affect the way I live my life. It just burns you up - as evidenced by the fact that you saw fit to immortalize my ugly mug in your sig. I'm still here, still free, living life to its fullest, while you are controlled by your own fears and frustrated by your inability to control others - and it ticks you off. Don't worry, you'll get over it someday, when you grow up, if you live.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 06:41 AM
  #128  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
ok I got up cranky again.. belfast, why use chipcom's friendly face for your little poster?
I think the face of a sexually frustrated dude would of been more suited and by far uglier then chipcom's cute grin.. do you know of any sexually frustrated, narrow minded,repulsive dude to fit in that poster?
if you dont, just check out your own profile and replace chipcom's pic with yours.
I feel pretty....

__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 06:42 AM
  #129  
belfast-biker
Clydesdale, for now.
Thread Starter
 
belfast-biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belfast, Sunny Northern Ireland!
Posts: 4,299

Bikes: Giant Escape M2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Then someone like me comes along and blows your Darwin theory away

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the outcome of one person can't negate Darwinism.
__________________
Fat man trying to reform. slowly. :)
START 330lbs
NOW 286lbs
TARGET 168lbs
belfast-biker is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 06:44 AM
  #130  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make that two, and it's just a miniscule sampling.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 07:37 AM
  #131  
ignominious
pointless & uncalled for
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TOONCA
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't going to post on this but I found two cents last night.

Personally I wear a seatbelt but I'm torn on the issue of compulsion. My cousin's wife was involved in an accident where the other driver suffered fatal injuries that would have been prevented by wearing a seatbelt. Despite the other driver choosing not to wear a seatbelt the intimate involvement in someone elses death took a large toll on cousin's wife. For a long time after she suffered nightmares, depression and required extensive counselling before she could accept that she wasn't responsible. To this day she refuses to drive and doesn't like long car journeys. All the statistics and calm, rational logic don't bear up that well when the psychie is subjected to traumatic experiences as many survivors from the WTC will tell you. Some people like Stacey think its perfectly fine to expose other people to that kind of trauma, I don't agree.

On the other hand, and this is where last nights two cents came in, I pulled up at a stop sign last night and this guy coming across realised he had lost the chance to blow through at the last minute jammed on his brakes. Because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, he slapped his head on the steering wheel. As I was riding through I could barely keep a straight line because I was laughing so much. I can't imagine an instance where that isn't funny and really want to see it again.
ignominious is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 07:41 AM
  #132  
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 8,724

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ignominious
On the other hand, and this is where last nights two cents came in, I pulled up at a stop sign last night and this guy coming across realised he had lost the chance to blow through at the last minute jammed on his brakes. Because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, he slapped his head on the steering wheel. As I was riding through I could barely keep a straight line because I was laughing so much. I can't imagine an instance where that isn't funny and really want to see it again.

Did he have a 'Semper Fi' tattoo?
Johnny_Monkey is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 07:43 AM
  #133  
belfast-biker
Clydesdale, for now.
Thread Starter
 
belfast-biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belfast, Sunny Northern Ireland!
Posts: 4,299

Bikes: Giant Escape M2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
Did he have a 'Semper Fi' tattoo?


Oh.... cruel.

Why didn't I think of that first?
__________________
Fat man trying to reform. slowly. :)
START 330lbs
NOW 286lbs
TARGET 168lbs
belfast-biker is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 07:51 AM
  #134  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by belfast-biker
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the outcome of one person can't negate Darwinism.
No but it negates your illogical association of seat belt/helmet use with Darwinism. Indeed, one could advance the theory that your fear and your reliance on factors other than those you were born to mitigate those fears is an indication of weakness, making you a candidate for extinction, since only the strongest should breed. But, unlike the moral conformist snobs, the rest of us are too polite to spout such nonsense in a public forum.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 07:55 AM
  #135  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,360

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by belfast-biker
Oh.... cruel.

Why didn't I think of that first?
Yes it is cruel to remind you that you can't originate your own thoughts. Bad Monkey!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 08:26 AM
  #136  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh. This thread still lives. *blows lightly on the embers and watches them expand and glow orange. *

Oh and you do have an interesting point there chipcom, about what if some child doesn't have the money to pay for hospital care and he/she is injured. Because on one boat, I abhor welfare of any type and all of the abuse that comes around to it. However in a situation like that.
I'm just glad I'm not a politician and don't have to roundhouse kick the idea around and formulate an opinion and perform actions upon it.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 10:42 AM
  #137  
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Please... get real.

It's reall all a matter of personal choice. I choose not to wear a seatbelt because I DON'T WANT TO! <arrrrrggggghhhhh>

I smoke a bit of herb, did big time meth back in the day, and shoplifted som candy when I was a kid. Does that count?

You might as well grab a stick too



I'm not changing my mind because of some safety nazis
Thats all you had to say in the beginning!! You acted like you wouldn't wear it just to defy the law.

Honestly, I don't really care if you wear one. I just can't believe that someone could be that stupid. I still love you though.
Pheard is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 11:21 AM
  #138  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, people
drink
do drugs
have unprotected sex with strangers
I'm sure there is a slew of things that some people consider stupid.
And yet a greater majority of the population think I'm stupid for thinking those are stupid
And that's all I really have to say.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 12:07 PM
  #139  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Thats all you had to say in the beginning!! You acted like you wouldn't wear it just to defy the law.

Honestly, I don't really care if you wear one. I just can't believe that someone could be that stupid. I still love you though.
Ummm, i did...

Originally Posted by Stacey in Post #4 of this thread
You see, I'm rebellious by nature. Ask me to do anything and I'll gladly oblige. However, it will be a cold day in hell before I'll willingly comply with a demand that encroaches on my right to make an intelligent decisison. So yes, because I am told by the lawmakers that I must wear a seatbelt, I excersize my right to make a stupid choice and not wear my seatbelt.
Actually in PA it's a bullsoht extortion law. It's a secondary offense. They can't pull me over and give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Also, the state passed it as part of the highway funds conditions. So, you see, the law really isn't in MY best interest, it's in the best interest of the Stare coffers for without passing it, they would lose federal funding.

I love you too.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:00 PM
  #140  
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!
 
TheDTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malden, MA (near Boston)
Posts: 794

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
STILL GONNA DIE
So you're takin' better care of your body
Becoming more aware of your body.
Responding to your body's needs.
Everything you hear and read about diets,
Nutrition and sleeping position and detoxifying your system,
And buying machines that they advertise to help you exercise.
Herbs to revitalize you if you're traumatized.
Soaps that will sanitize.
Sprays to deordorize.
Liquid to neutralize acids and pesticides.
Free weights to maximize your strength and muscle size.
Shots that will immunize.
Pills to re-energize you.

But remember that for all your pain and gain
Eventually the story ends the same...
You can quite smokin', but you're still gonna die.
Cut out cokin', but you're still gonna die.
Eliminate everything fatty or fried,
And you get real healthy, but you're still gonna die.
Stop drinkin' booze, you're still gonna die.
Stay away from cooze, you're still gonna die.
You can cut out coffee and never get high,
But you're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

You're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
Still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
You can even give aerobics one more try,
But when the music stops playin', you're still gonna die.
Put seat belts in your car, you're still gonna die.
Cut nicotine tar, you're still gonna die.
You can exercise that cellulite off your thigh.
Get slimmer and trimmer, but you're still gonna die.
Stop gettin' a tan, you're still gonna die.
You can search for UFO's up in the sky
They might fly you to Mars where you're still gonna die.

You're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
Still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
And all the Reeboks and Nikes and Adidas you buy
You can jog up to heaven and you're still gonna die.

Drink ginseng tonics, you're still gonna die.
Try high colonics, you're still gonna die.
You can have yourself frozen and suspended in time,
But when they do thaw you out, you're still gonna die.
You can have safe sex, you're still gonna die.
You can switch to Crest, you're still gonna die.
You can get rid of stress, get a lot of rest,
Get an AIDS test, enroll in EST,
Move out west where it's sunny and dry
And you'll live to be a hundred
But you're still gonna die.

You're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
Still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
So you'd better have some fun
'Fore you say bye-bye,
'Cause you're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.
Great, a crappy song telling us how much life sucks. Great job avoiding the argument with clever one line replies. So what if we're going to die? Does that mean life is not worth living? Does that mean you can do whatever you want just because you're "free" to do it? Does that mean you are exempt from any responsibility or consciousness of your actions?

Your opinion is your opinion, but it makes absolutely no sense. Many would agree with me. It only shows your complete lack of respnsibility and sensibility. So what if you aren't afraid to die? There is a difference between having faith in God and not fearing death, and risking your life when you clearly know the dangers and consequences. Would you wear a seatbelt when someone else is driving? You are willing to put that burden of your death or injury on their shoulders in case of accidents? Okay, so you drive alone. What about your family? What about your friends? What would happen to them if you died or got really injured? What about kids or teens like me who read or listen to what you say and decide themselves seatbelts are stupid? Responsibility may mean doing things even though you do not want to. Are you prepared to put that grief and pain in those close to you for your own irresponsibility? That is stupid right there!

Seatbelts have been proven again and again and again to be effective and to save lives. Surely, no logical, thinking person can deny that fact. In accidents, seatbelt protect your body. ALL IT IS A MINOR INCONVENIENCE OF TIME AND COMFORT. ALL FACTS, DATA, AND COMMON SENSE IS AGAINST YOU. Who would not sacrifice a few seconds and some feelings of uncomfort for scientifically proven safety? Only one who is lazy, arrogant, stubborn, idiotic, or irresponsible enough to neglect one's self and others. Between seatbelts and no seatbelts, you would choose no seatbelt purely because it is the law and you want to be rebellious. That is totally illogical.

I believe it was Jean Jacque Rosseau who said, "Law is the expression of the general will." Laws function for society's benefit, or are supposed to. Laws are absolutely vital in society, I would be shocked if anyone denies that. There is laws that make sense and are generally supported by most (and there are laws that do not, but that's another topic). For instance, murder is crime and against the law. That makes sense, see? The seatbelt law also does. IT ISN'T A HUGE EVIL GOVERNMENT SCHEME TO INFRINGE ON OUR RIGHTS AND PUT DOWN THE LITTLE MAN! It's purely for the safety of everyone, for the safety of stubborn idiots like you, and so that your close ones and others' close ones may not suffer because of your idiocy.

Therefore, your argument is totally illogical. Add upon that the fact that you said you WOULD wear a seatbelt if it wasn't the law. That only shows your obsessive attitude of rebellion towards authority. You SHOULD wear a seatbelt if you are responsible, logical, and sensible enough to know its the right thing to do. You SHOULDN'T wear one only when no one tells you to wear one. You SHOULDN'T reject wearing one only because it is the law. You say you act under free will and freedom of choice, yet you clearly do not. You clearly are under extreme influence by government authority since the only reason you would do something would be if they weren't telling you to do it. Your drive to rebel and to do what the authorities tell you not to is stifling your freedom of choice!

The sole reason you do not wear seatbelts is that you are a rebel. Nevermind common sense, nevermind scientific data and conclusions, nevermind the general concensus, nevermind responsibility for your actions. Hey, murder is against the law too. Why don't you go on a mass killing spree, you rebel?

Great thinking, Stacey, great thinking.
TheDTrain is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:16 PM
  #141  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry sir but you cannot rest that which was not a case
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:18 PM
  #142  
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!
 
TheDTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malden, MA (near Boston)
Posts: 794

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Isn't freedom of choice wonderful?
Isn't ignorance bliss?
TheDTrain is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:19 PM
  #143  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't name-calling so mature
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:28 PM
  #144  
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!
 
TheDTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malden, MA (near Boston)
Posts: 794

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Following your logic, one should wear a helmet...hell full body armour, 24x7 because there is always the chance that something might happen.

As far as the law is concerned, I imagine much more lives would be saved if the cops bothered to enforce the speed limit, rather than their revenue enhancing blitzes for seatbelt use.

Following the logic further. If you are for mandatory seat belt laws, helmet laws and other laws that protect only the individual from harming themselves, then you must be also for laws outlawing abortion, drug use, alcohol, jaywalking, etc. etc. etc. How far do you want to go protecting people from themselves? Lock us all in a room and live our lives 'virtually'?

Again, the question nobody ever seems to want to answer...how the heck did the earths human population manage to keep growing over all these years without do-gooders telling everyone else how to live their lives?

My final statement, before I join Stacy in the corner to smoke a joint...HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE LIVE IN SUCH FEAR YOUR WHOLE LIVES! You have my pity, I really do feel sorry for you.
Most people live their lives in the "middle way" not straying into either extremes. You seems to be hinting that laws are valueless to society and humanity. Would you, a man of past military experience, want to live in a world of lawlessness? Do laws have value then? Do they make sense? No one can deny that seatbelts save lives. A seatbelt is not an act of fear. A seatbelt is not a violation of your precious natural rights. I protect myself because I care about my safety, my life (which has value to me, i hope yours has value to youself too), and my responsibility to myself, my close ones, humanity, and the world. A seatbelt is only a matter of minor discomfort and inconvienence. Therefore, wearing one is only a matter of common sense.
TheDTrain is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:33 PM
  #145  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, that's the difference between this generation and the other generation. It's also the difference between the liberal east, and the rest of the usa
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:33 PM
  #146  
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thedtrain.. I actually thought this was the best argument by far. I was impressed and not to sound judge mental and i hope I dont but was even more impressed when you mentionned being a teanager. My hope would be to have more bright young poeple like yourself.
blonduathlongrl is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:37 PM
  #147  
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!
 
TheDTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malden, MA (near Boston)
Posts: 794

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Isn't name-calling so mature
I was a little bit harsh, but I haven't done the name-calling in this thread.
I've merely called actions and choices stupid.
I call 'em as I see 'em.
TheDTrain is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:37 PM
  #148  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rules and welfare were invented for the stupid and the hapless. For those who couldn't make the right choice at the right time. For people who don't know better then to kill people, or run people over, or steal or that they have to save money or that they have to work hard.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:46 PM
  #149  
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!
 
TheDTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malden, MA (near Boston)
Posts: 794

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what's your point? The bottom of society have no value because rules and laws have no value? That is ridiculous.

Laws are instituted for the general good of the people despite whatever conspiracy group you're a part of. They help and protect all people, or at least, they should, I have to clarify. They play a large role in protecting the little guys. They are not necessarily stupid, uneducated, or hapless. I have trouble understanding your argument, and even your viewpoint.

But if I interpret your argument correctly, then it is that conceited, selfish "greed is good" social Darwinism attitude that I'm criticizing.

Also, since when were we talking about welfare? That makes little sense to me.
TheDTrain is offline  
Old 04-28-06, 03:57 PM
  #150  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because they fall in the same group. A good deal of the large Slew of rules and laws that have come about in the last century or 2 are because people have no self control. They do whatever they want.
Whether its spending money or doing something criminally wrong.
The 2 go hand in hand as people apply the same amount of self-control and decision making to doing stuff that should be common sense, as they do finances.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.