Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Nat'l TV Turnoff Week

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Nat'l TV Turnoff Week

Old 04-26-06, 03:47 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nat'l TV Turnoff Week

live with less TV (at least this week, yeah?)
https://tvturnoff.org/index.html

so far i only tivo cyclism sunday, caprial and john's, america's test kitchen, dog whisperer, west wing

then again, i don't get around to watching all of the programming except cycling and cooking anyway.

you?

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 04-26-06, 03:49 PM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
When is National Throw Your TV From a Moving Vehicle week?

Old 04-26-06, 03:53 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 57 Posts
The state of US tv. how about throwing your tv out the window for all time. Well, with some cable and premimum channel alternatives, can't say that I never watch tv. Rather bike.
Old 04-27-06, 06:55 AM
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Sorry...can't live without History Channel for a week.

I'll be watching the tube anyway.
Old 04-27-06, 07:11 AM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I'm watching is OLN and the Nextel Cup race on Fox.
Old 04-27-06, 09:09 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfidh r L

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 57 Posts
I honestly can't remember the last time I wathced TV. I watch movies on it once or twice a week.
Old 04-27-06, 11:21 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about National TV Utnroff for half a decade?
I stopped watching tv about 7 years ago. Very little on tv worth watching and even less worth paying for.
Old 04-28-06, 09:49 AM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Me turning off my TV for a week seems about as likely as 56/12 and 22/28 getting a girl in the next month.
Old 04-28-06, 10:04 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me turning on a tv in the next month, is about as likely as 56/12 and 22/8 getting a girl in the next hour
Old 04-28-06, 05:39 PM
Prozakk
Banned.

Location: Home (don't change this back to "my own personal hell", Mr. Powermad Moderator, and/or computer savvy hacker).
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of mine started turning on/off by itself yesterday.
Old 04-28-06, 06:12 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The television is one of man's greatest inventions. I've found that most of the people I've met who watch little or no TV are often incredibly boring and quite full of themselves. And then there are the pretentious people who use the "I don't watch TV, I read" line, as if the two were mutually exclusive. I suspect many of the people who don't watch TV do so because they feel that eschewing TV makes them part of some kind of silly "cultural elite".

People who have a problem with television are ignorant of the fact that cable and satellite feeds offer hundreds of channels which span the programming spectrum of inane to educational and everything in between. If you can't find something on TV to watch and enjoy, you must hate life.

Last edited by Sprocket Man; 04-28-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 06:24 PM
mechBgon

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you can't find something on TV to watch and enjoy, you must hate life.
So that's what my problem is! Yeah, I need to take my TV to Goodwill's dropoff place sometime. My sister gave it to me. It made it out of the cardboard box a couple months ago (I needed the box for something) and has been sitting on the floor ever since.
Old 04-28-06, 08:18 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's very en vogue to be "anti tv" on these forums. That's all well and good but to be objective you have to ask "why"? Most will say that all of the programming is junk and there is nothing worth while on to watch.

They aren't completely wrong, but they are wrong. Television is full of many, many interesting shows that are not only educational but also sometime funny etc. I too, used to think TV was crap until i got a Tivo a few months back. Then i learned what i have been missing. I go online to www.tivo.com and search for all sorts of cool stuff by interest. I have seen dozens and dozens of amazing documentaries, that i never would have know were even on.

I just search for things like nature, documentaries, bicycling, etc and myself and the tivo come up with endless hours of awesome viewing. I just click on the program and schedule it, up to two weeks in advance. So, saying "there is nothing good on TV" is totally wrong. Maybe saying you can't find anything good to watch is more accurate.

It's a lot like saying there is nothing good on the internet. We all know that is wrong. Even those that hang out on a place called bikeforums.net in a section called FOO, claiming that there is nothing good on tv.
Old 04-28-06, 08:19 PM
jayroc
dirty ol' man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man, for me it's tv turn off LIFE. I don't even have cable. I have a tc, but just for dvd movies, you know? Trust me, your life will be better without it.
Old 04-28-06, 08:56 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayroc
Trust me, your life will be better without it.
Not true. Not true for millions of others as well. In many ways, television shows serve as a cultural glue that allows people to share common experiences. It can also be very educational. It's not all good, though. Some people waste a lot of time in front of the TV - time that could be used doing more productive activities. But saying TV is bad because people waste time watching it is like saying cars are bad because people get killed in accidents.
Old 04-28-06, 09:48 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trust me, your life will be better without it.[/QUOTE]

But what about my love affair with Giada De Laurentis? I admit it's a bit one sided. That is to say, she has no idea who I am.
Old 04-28-06, 09:54 PM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I NEED to watch Lost!
Old 04-29-06, 01:03 AM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Less TV...no problem. I don't got one. My housemate has been suggesting it's a necessity, though.
Old 04-29-06, 09:14 AM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
People who have a problem with television are ignorant of the fact that cable and satellite feeds offer hundreds of channels which span the programming spectrum of inane to educational and everything in between. If you can't find something on TV to watch and enjoy, you must hate life.
Boy, that's a bit strong. Seriously, I think for me as with a lot of people who don't have cable, it's not about the fact that there is nothing good to watch, it's the ratio of trash versus good programming to watch is so out of balance that I simple don't want to spend good money for the service. Most people step up to a higher package anyway with cable just to get acceptable programming, and then there's sattlelite..tivo...it's just a lot of money right now for me that I can't justify.
Old 04-29-06, 09:28 AM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Guess that means I would have to TURN ON the TV first?

Old 04-29-06, 10:00 AM
PVyrus

Bikes: $100 Mongoose from Fred Meyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely watch TV... I waste my time on the internet instead

I don't have a problem with people watching TV, I have a problem with people watching TOO MUCH TV!
Old 04-29-06, 01:14 PM
jayroc
dirty ol' man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Not true. Not true for millions of others as well. In many ways, television shows serve as a cultural glue that allows people to share common experiences. It can also be very educational. It's not all good, though. Some people waste a lot of time in front of the TV - time that could be used doing more productive activities. But saying TV is bad because people waste time watching it is like saying cars are bad because people get killed in accidents.
okay, MY life wbetter without it. I undertsand that there are good programs on, docs, history, even the occasional brain candy sitcom, but the problem is most of the networks have just given up. They understand most people will watch anyway, so why bother putting in an effort?
Old 04-29-06, 02:45 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love TV. I agree there is a lot of crap out there, alot of really stupid shows which probably due suck away aptitude. I am not even a big fan of most "shows" out there. Everybody loves Raymond is one of the best comedies I have seen though. But theres a lot of good documentaries which I enjoy. PBS has some excellent programs that expose you to ideas and different ways of life you would not otherwise see. It is an awsome learning tool. At least for me, I can learn more in a 60 minute program than one weeks worth of class. Probably because it uses more of your senses.