Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What computer should I get?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

What computer should I get?

Old 04-28-06, 01:33 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Heh. Its funny to atch people geek over the g5 we have. Of all of the geeks here. nobody nknows how to do **** with it or top it. THey can only look. All their geekiness and nerdiness is killed because they can't do anything but look at it. It's quite humorours and irony that geeks lust after something that pretty much kills any type of geekiness.

Give me 30mins with one, that's all it takes forme to learn to use someting at a basic level.

Give me a weekend, and I'll have learned enough to make it burn itself down.
Old 04-28-06, 01:36 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh. I'm happy with all 3 intel systems i've had and I'm happy with all my Intel Xeon servers. They are extremely zippy where necessary and alot more reliable then my experience with AMD. I've yet to return any Intel chips due to defects. I've replaced many and AMD Chip due to defects and thankfully gotten quite lucky with making them replace the chip for free.
Don't get me wrong, Intel makes a good product for alot of people. The last great intel system i had was a Pentium 2. After that, I haven't had much luck so I switched to AMD and don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon. IMO AMD is making a better product right now from a cost to performance standpoint. I think the performance difference between the brands is negligible but from prices I see, it looks like fast AMD systems are significantly cheaper than fast Intel systems.
Old 04-28-06, 01:41 PM
mechBgon

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The majority of my work fleet is AMD on Asus, powered by Antec, with Crucial memory. I have yet to have a motherboard or a processor fail. Ditto for the RAM. I had one power supply decide not to wake up anymore... easily fixed, where's my #2 Phillips screwdriver?

Not only that, but they're as stable as it gets (I pressed one into service as a backup domain controller, in fact, with some SCSI drives). Just for the record. Some of those rigs are over three years old now, so that's a lot of machine-hours backing that experience.

There's guys writing drivers for OSX on that right chip now. The OSX 7800GTX driver works decently, but not optimally. You'd have to dual-boot into Windows to run the games that really take advantage of that card anyway, in which case, you'd be using the Windows drivers. MS and Apple are still fighting over the extensible-BIOS on the Macs though.
I'm more thinking of the hardware and whether the power supply will handle a top-end monster card's additional power drain and heat production, not the driver aspect.
Old 04-28-06, 01:43 PM
ZachS
\||||||/

Bikes: highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Well... computer hardware pretty much never fails, it's the software that crashes, gets corrupted and infected that causes you problems. So I'd suggest one of the new Mac Mini Duos for about $699. Then get a fat 21" widescreen (16:9) LCD panel. It'll run both WIndows and MacOSX, which is rock-stable and never crashes. I've got systems running with uptime of over 5-years! You can load and unload drivers dynamically without rebooting when you plug in new hardware. Not to mention the Mac's long history in graphic and media markets. It'll also run Windows in dual-boot or simultaneous modes as well (running both Mac & Windows software at the same time).
+1, unless you're some kind of sooper dooper power user. which you're not, since you asked a bunch of cyclists what kind of computer to buy. this is a no-brainer solution unless you're a serious gamer.
Old 04-28-06, 01:44 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
Give me 30mins with one, that's all it takes forme to learn to use someting at a basic level.

Give me a weekend, and I'll have learned enough to make it burn itself down.
That comemnt wasn't about using. It was about modifying and extending. Like people putting their own coolant systems, custom built. PUtting any type of ram they want. Adding 6 - 9 hard drives to a regular machine. etc
Old 04-28-06, 01:49 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TYB069
Don't get me wrong, Intel makes a good product for alot of people. The last great intel system i had was a Pentium 2. After that, I haven't had much luck so I switched to AMD and don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon. IMO AMD is making a better product right now from a cost to performance standpoint. I think the performance difference between the brands is negligible but from prices I see, it looks like fast AMD systems are significantly cheaper than fast Intel systems.
Heh I still love my p3 755. IF any machine was a beast of a machine, that was. That system ran XP, VS.NET and Photoshop beautifully. I am sad that I missed out on the Tualatins.

With today's systems, I've seen mixed reviews, but honestly most people shove 5 games through and a bunch of BS tests and that's their rating of the system. Then they tip the scales, so if somebody gave them money to say AMD is better, or if they are pro AMD fans already then they say AMD won and make sure the scales tip in that way. Same for Intel fanned review sites. And yet none of those tests actually reflect on how well the software performs for anybody, except a gamer running those few games.

The thing that has me swinging in Intel's favor this time around, Is I've had nothing but bad luck with AMD. That and the fact that I want a system that has 4mb of cache I just wish I could wait around for a stable and fast version of DDR 3 to come out
Old 04-28-06, 01:51 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Dell E1705. It was about $1500 with the Duo 2.5, 1G memory and 80 GB HD and the upgraded screen. It's beautiful, fast and quiet.

It's also BIG. With a 17" screen, this isn't a laptop you want to schlep around on a daily basis if you're a traveler.

It's got lots of USB 2 ports, a memory chip reader that'll read 4 or 5 different cards (unfortunately, not the one my camera uses *shrug*), comes with a CD and DVD R/W.

If you go with this route, go with the upgraded screen; it's worth it.
Old 04-28-06, 01:52 PM
Mphetameme
Keys are in the ignition

Bikes: Mikado Cabot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apple Macbook Pro!
Old 04-28-06, 01:58 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
I just got a Dell E1705. It was about $1500 with the Duo 2.5, 1G memory and 80 GB HD and the upgraded screen. It's beautiful, fast and quiet.

It's also BIG. With a 17" screen, this isn't a laptop you want to schlep around on a daily basis if you're a traveler.

It's got lots of USB 2 ports, a memory chip reader that'll read 4 or 5 different cards (unfortunately, not the one my camera uses *shrug*), comes with a CD and DVD R/W.

If you go with this route, go with the upgraded screen; it's worth it.
Yes, that's a pretty niec computer. I got the cheap ass Acer version of that and it was pretty niec, aside from Acer's known ****tiness and the 5400 hard drive they stuck in it. If you can get that with a 7200 rpm hard drive a decent video card that's a monster.

Mine was pretty decent for hauling around. I had to return it though due to several faulty components *cough* acer *cough*
Old 04-28-06, 02:56 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TYB069
Heh I still love my p3 755. IF any machine was a beast of a machine, that was. That system ran XP, VS.NET and Photoshop beautifully. I am sad that I missed out on the Tualatins.

With today's systems, I've seen mixed reviews, but honestly most people shove 5 games through and a bunch of BS tests and that's their rating of the system. Then they tip the scales, so if somebody gave them money to say AMD is better, or if they are pro AMD fans already then they say AMD won and make sure the scales tip in that way. Same for Intel fanned review sites. And yet none of those tests actually reflect on how well the software performs for anybody, except a gamer running those few games.

The thing that has me swinging in Intel's favor this time around, Is I've had nothing but bad luck with AMD. That and the fact that I want a system that has 4mb of cache I just wish I could wait around for a stable and fast version of DDR 3 to come out
Seems AMD may be pushing their chips closer to the limits than Intel? I've never seen an Intel chip fail, but have seen a couple of AMDs burn out. The battle at the top-levels of performance always has these guys leap-frogging each other. It's all marketing really, the speed-differences on the CPU hardly ever makes a significant difference to people. If you're a gamer, fast video and memory is more important than shear CPU-speed, and if you do video and graphics, you'd want fast disks, RAID, solid-state drives, firewire800, etc. The CPU is just one factor out of many.
Old 04-28-06, 03:10 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Seems AMD may be pushing their chips closer to the limits than Intel? I've never seen an Intel chip fail, but have seen a couple of AMDs burn out. The battle at the top-levels of performance always has these guys leap-frogging each other. It's all marketing really, the speed-differences on the CPU hardly ever makes a significant difference to people. If you're a gamer, fast video and memory is more important than shear CPU-speed, and if you do video and graphics, you'd want fast disks, RAID, solid-state drives, firewire800, etc. The CPU is just one factor out of many.
I want RAID for my next computer, and I'd like a solid state drive built in the mb
Old 04-28-06, 03:26 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That comemnt wasn't about using. It was about modifying and extending. Like people putting their own coolant systems, custom built. PUtting any type of ram they want. Adding 6 - 9 hard drives to a regular machine. etc

I would have started with lapping/finishing the heatsink, then applying silver based thermal compound.

Then I would look into sleeving all cables with color matching mesh sleeving, also using matching color heat-shrink.

Ram...I would probably find the spec for how thick the casing is, mill it down, and apply ramsinks. Of course they would be copper. I would then add a housing over the ram slots, with quiet 60mm fans on each end, to operate as a wind tunnel of sorts to keep them very, very cool.

The chipset would be lapped, but not finished. The heatsink for it would be lapped and finished, and given silver thermal compound.

All fans would be opened up and given my special lube mixture (1part teflon, 4 parts silicone)

All heatpipe assemblies would be dismantled, and rebuilt to my specs.

Trust me, I modded the hell out of a dell laptop...I can mod a mac

edit: The difference between enthusiasts, and alpha-geeks....the alpha-geek doesn't have to search for mod ideas, every single wire, capacitor, PCB trace, and light is a potential mod/tweak candidate.
Old 04-28-06, 03:27 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm
Have you seen the inside of a g5?
Cause i've put my hand inside of it, (well that which you can actually get access to.
Old 04-28-06, 03:36 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMD is a lot better than they were in the past as far as overheat recovery goes.

Just remember that an athlon 64 4000+ is practically godlike. I have a 3500+ in my gamerig, and it's very potent.

512mb ram is bare minimum....accept no less, 1gb preferred.

get a nice big hard drive. Trust me, if you spend any decent amount of time on the computer, you'll find ways to fill it up.

www.sharkyextreme.com has a nice guide for building gaming computers, but you can apply their $1000 guide, and make a few changes and have a nice solid guide for building a non-gaming computer as well.
Old 04-28-06, 03:57 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm
Have you seen the inside of a g5?
Cause i've put my hand inside of it, (well that which you can actually get access to.
OK I googled an image of the inside.

Pretty clean to start with.

I would still lap the cpu heatsinks, I assume they are under those "G5" shrouds.

The only thing that is slowing those guys down is how clean and sexy it looks. They can mod it, but can they make it look as nice? That's the problem.

I have no idea what that green thing to the left of the top two card slots is, but I would try to find a way to hide it, or replace it with a more attractive unit.

Also, cutting the apple logo out of the sides, putting in frosted pexi strips for the window...each strip will have mirrored horizontal edges, and be fitted tightly to the next strip. Now, once those are mounted, place the proper colored LEDS to each side of it.....BOOM! Old school Apple logo, as in Apple ][ era.

Another fun mod is if the unit has a header for drive access lights, and power lights (or lights already installed for it, just replace the cable/LED assy with your own cable) is to set up a relay, and have a white LED lighting emanate from the perforated front when on, but have it switch to blue when the drive is being accessed. I've done this on a past computer I've modded, except it was blue and purple.
Old 04-28-06, 03:58 PM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You won't be cutting unless you have something that cuts through titanium. It will be plastering stickers over it
Old 04-28-06, 04:01 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All you need are diamond cutting tools for going through Ti. If you know where to look, you can even find manufacturers of diamond cutting discs for rotary tools like Dremels.
Old 04-28-06, 04:11 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of modding, or hardware in general.. I'll take some time to route the cables properly when building a system, but that's about it.
Software can be fun to play with tweaking at times, but I usually just want to use the computer for editing photos or browsing so when I load windows, it's... set a bunch of windows options, install my programs and set them up, and settle into typical usage.
Old 04-28-06, 05:26 PM
mechBgon

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I want RAID for my next computer, and I'd like a solid state drive built in the mb
I want mine to have onboard pizza-oven and coffeemaker controllers! If you do want a solid-state HDD, you might check out the Gigabyte iRAM...

Back to the OP's needs... don't get too cheap when buying. Some corner-cutting to avoid when shopping for off-the-shelf systems:
  • systems with no video-card upgrade slot, which at this point should be PCI-Express x16 on a new computer.
  • systems whose power supplies couldn't handle a pretty righteous video card due to insufficient power
  • systems with insufficient cooling to handle a decent video card.
  • systems with only a 1-year warranty, a commonly-overlooked aspect among deal-shoppers. I'd get the 3-year warranty if buying an off-the-shelf system, or at least two years.
  • LCD (flat-panel) monitors that don't have a DVI input, and/or have bad response time that leaves you with ghosting in games.
  • and if it were me, no way would I buy a system with WinXP Home Edition at this stage of the game. Make it WinXP Professional, it has significantly longer support life because Microsoft's professional-oriented OSes have the Extended Support phase in their lifecycle. Also, WinXP Pro can do some useful things that XP Home can't.

If you see any models you want looked over, post them and the various bright lights around here can weigh the pros and cons of them

edit: since I like building computers, I made a sample shopping list: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...+gaming+system It's a jack-of-all-trades system with a fairly strong video card (a 7900GT) and a 20" Viewsonic LCD that's said to be fairly good as a gaming display (and does the full 16.7 million colors for your photo work). If you saw merit in a dual-core processor, such as for video editing and heavy multitasking, then you could substitute an Athlon64 X2 3800+ for another $190.

I think the video card could drive it at 1600 x 1200 pretty well in most games if you don't lay on the FSAA and AF too heavily... here's a review so you can see what to expect from a 7900GT in various games & genres, anyway: https://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...rce7900gt.html Red bars are 1600x1200 resolution. Note that they test both the 7900GT solo, and also a dual-7900GT SLI setup, so look carefully at the labels on the graphs.

edit 2: a quick run through HP's and Apple's online stores seems to show that the custom system above, with the dual-core upgrade added, would be quite competitive in cost and have far & away the best video card for gaming. So... ever made a lasagna before, PVyrus?

Last edited by mechBgon; 04-28-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 12:11 AM
PVyrus

Bikes: $100 Mongoose from Fred Meyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, I should probably mention that my nickname "purplevirus" or PVyrus was given to me because I have a reputation for causing computers to crash just by looking at them. Man all this talk is so confusing, I didn't expect to find so many "computer geeks" on here! I don't know anything about motherboards, CPU's, hard drives, and the only thing DDR means to me is Dance Dance Revolution! So I'd still feel more comfortable with buying because if I built it and it broke I have nobody to turn to.

Well, I am aquanted with two "geeks", but it takes weeks and money bribary just to get anyone to help me fix this dying machine. To note one of them did promise to let me buy one of his home built computers once it got fixed... but that was 7 months ago and he still doesn't know what's wrong with it. So I figured I'd be better off with something more reliable with a warranty.

I've heard some pretty good reviews on the new Intel iMacs both in person and online, but it's so new would I even be able to buy software for it?

Also when I mentioned games, I think the heaviest thing I'll get into is Starcraft, but ya never know. Yes I'd love to get photoshop, but man that stuff is expensive so for now I plan on getting a graphic tablet with software (Illistrator) bundle.

...I may have been using my bike for transportation and fun for many many years, but it was only a few days ago that I learned how to change my own tire.

Last edited by PVyrus; 04-29-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-29-06, 10:11 AM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PVyrus
Since you're on one at the moment, I figured this wouldn't be a bad place to ask... my current Windows98 computer is on its last legs so I'm on the market for a new one. Any suggestions?

I am heavily into graphic art, music, digital photography, writing, games, and of coarse the internet. I would like it to be pretty indestructable too since I'm fairly computer illiterate, which means I can't build one either.

Prefered price range is $1000-$2000, and I'm looking at (and know how to use) both Macs and PC's.

Thank you for any and all suggestions
MACINTOSH!

Seriously, graphic art, music, ditigal photography? Is there any other choice besides Apple? I don't think so. Gaming will be harder, but they have a GREAT graphics card.

Want to use both windows and OS X? All of the new Intel Core Duos are Boot Camp capable, which means you can use windows ON a Mac! OS X is superior, of course, but you'll still get access to some great non-Macintosh software like Photoshop, etc.

Get a mac!
Old 04-29-06, 11:04 AM
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look into building your own, its really very simple, and you'll have a much better machine then most off the shelf systems.

Get something with at least 2gb of RAM, thats expandable to 4gb.

And don't buy a MAC cause every says to, they have their place. For most people who use most common software (like Illustrator), MACS are great, but a lot of software is only available for Windows (I could never use a MAC), keep that mind.
Old 04-29-06, 11:24 AM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PVyrus
Since you're on one at the moment, I figured this wouldn't be a bad place to ask... my current Windows98 computer is on its last legs so I'm on the market for a new one. Any suggestions?

I am heavily into graphic art, music, digital photography, writing, games, and of coarse the internet. I would like it to be pretty indestructable too since I'm fairly computer illiterate, which means I can't build one either.

Prefered price range is $1000-$2000, and I'm looking at (and know how to use) both Macs and PC's.

Thank you for any and all suggestions
I don't need all the speed and whizzbangs you do, but I would go for HP (I must confess I worked for HP for 30yr, but not on the computer biz and I don't own their stock!). I don't know how many HP products I've used/owned over the years and they have never failed. It's normally the s/ware that's the problem.

As for having mom & pop put a PC together, who supports it?
Mac G5 looks beautiful and I almost bought one but that was before they added Windows, so I ended up with another HP.
Old 04-29-06, 11:28 AM
ZachS
\||||||/

Bikes: highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
Look into building your own, its really very simple, and you'll have a much better machine then most off the shelf systems.

Get something with at least 2gb of RAM, thats expandable to 4gb.

And don't buy a MAC cause every says to, they have their place. For most people who use most common software (like Illustrator), MACS are great, but a lot of software is only available for Windows (I could never use a MAC), keep that mind.
two words: BOOT CAMP. if you really really need to use some obscure piece of software that you can't get for the mac (and power users: most people don't ever have to do this), you can run it on your mac.

the only downsides to the mac are that they aren't necessairly the best value power-for-money wise, and in the low-end systems the graphics aren't readily upgradeable. but neither of those things are an issue unless you are a power gamer.

starcraft, age of empires, and other popular games like that are all released for the mac and will run fine with the stock graphics hardware. mac mini and giant pretty monitor really is the best choice.
Old 04-29-06, 12:07 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apple

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.