Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Meeting someone famous

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Meeting someone famous

Old 12-07-06, 05:15 PM
sabretech2001

Bikes: Road and Fix, Tutto Campagnolo, certo!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Celebs are people, first and foremost.

Yoko Ono once dropped $20 into the box when my brass quintet was playing in Central Park.
I came close to knocking Lauren Hutton over the day I was leaving Bicycle Habitat and she was coming in.
As a messenger I met Tony Randall, Anne Meara, Joan Rivers, Peter Max, and Michael Douglas.

As a kid/teenager in the 70's I met pretty much all the major symphonic conductors who were active at the time.

I was working at Giardinelli's in the early 80's and helped the then unknown Wynton Marsalis pick out an instrument. He still remembers, even though we hardly see one another these days.

All of them are people first and foremost. Some nice, some not so much. Just like everyone else.

Just don't challenge Lance to a hill climb, OK?
Old 12-07-06, 05:34 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sabretech2001

Just don't challenge Lance to a hill climb, OK?
How 'bout if I want to be seriously humiliated on the hill.....then should I challenge him?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-07-06, 05:46 PM
rockrates
DO panic!

Bikes: Scott Speedster, Giant Trance X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once when I was ~11 years old I met Greg Lemond. If memory serves me right, he wasn't the a** that everyone claims he is...although that was before Lance came along and rained on his parade. and I was a kid...who would be a jerk to a kid?
Old 12-07-06, 08:43 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see John Mayer on a regular basis. I work in the building he lives in. In the same building I've also met Ralph Fiennes (of English Patient/Schindlers List/Constant Gardener fame), Daniel Dae Kim (plays Jin - asian guy on Lost). All very nice guys.

I echo the "they're just people too" sentiments. I also had the "you think you know them but can't place from where" experience with all of them.
Old 12-07-06, 10:34 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been a lot for me both because of the environment I grew up amd some jobs I have had.

Probably the two most memorable where meeting Jack Palance and also hanging out with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier after and advanced screening/Q & A of Chasing Amy.

The both came when I was in college and worked a lot with the campus TV station.

Kevin was extremely funny and was as huge of a pop culture nerd as one can imagine.
Old 12-08-06, 01:14 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lecterman
There have been a lot for me both because of the environment I grew up amd some jobs I have had.

Probably the two most memorable where meeting Jack Palance and also hanging out with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier after and advanced screening/Q & A of Chasing Amy.

The both came when I was in college and worked a lot with the campus TV station.

Kevin was extremely funny and was as huge of a pop culture nerd as one can imagine.
What about riding with Cuda2k? He is a BF mod! Ribby Pauls and his trained Merkin are about at the top of my list.
Old 12-08-06, 04:03 AM
norsehabanero
Just a student

Bikes: Cannondale, schiwin old road bike fuji a unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the closest i came to fame is watching them film part of the movie the runner stumbles(old)
with dick van ****, inbetween sets we watched him play a coffee cup like a jews harp
Old 12-08-06, 04:50 AM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtle77
. What do you say to someone who's heard it all before? Nothing. You say nothing and move on with your life - content to be one of the people who doesn't become a jackass in the face of celebrity.
Well said!
Old 12-08-06, 05:24 AM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
What about riding with Cuda2k? He is a BF mod! Ribby Pauls and his trained Merkin are about at the top of my list.
True, I have ridden with the great Cuda2k. He did not have his Merkin with him though.