Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

NYPD = Bike Thieves???

Old 06-03-07, 11:33 AM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in DC, DDOT places a laminated card onto bikes that have been noted as abandoned. It has a date on the card, and gives the owner 30 days from said date to remove the bike. After that, DDOT can remove the bike with whatever method works, up to and including destroying the frame.

But the cards are very easy to spot and clearly worded - and effective, from what I've seen. Perhaps NYPD could be so clear.

Oh, wait a minute - it's the NYPD. Nevermind.
Old 06-03-07, 12:17 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to ammend my earlier comment. Now that beach weather is upon us there seems to be, maybe, half as many bikes on my block as there were just a few weeks ago. I'm sure some of the regulars are off performing their bikely duties but most of the bent frames with missing wheels, or missing seats are gone. The tacoed wheels and solitary ulocks that adorned many of the local bike racks are also missing.

Most of the bikes I'm talking about are x-Mart mountain bikes or vintage Ross. Not only are they missing wheels and missing seats, but many have had their frames bent bent by parking cars. Anything that looks remotely salvageable gets gobbled up by bike scavengers. Some of the long term parkers have been there so long that they're secured with Bic Pen era Kryptonite locks
Old 06-04-07, 09:14 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CBS News had some cell phone video and NY 1 is running a story on their website

From https://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=70390

Local Bicyclists Want Charges Dropped From Alleged Sweep Last Week

June 04, 2007

A city environmental group and local bicyclists are calling on the NYPD to stop harassing people riding bicycles after they say police went on a raid last week.

The non-profit organization Time's Up says officers were videotaped Thursday night sawing off bike locks and arresting bystanders on East 6th Street between First and Second Avenues.

Witnesses say without warning, officers cut the locks off about 50 bikes and then let people walk off with them without showing proof of ownership. They say police also took away some of the bikes in an unmarked van.

One witness, who was videotaping the scene, was arrested after he asked one of the officers for his name and badge number. Another woman was also arrested after questioning the officers.

"I guess I started asking too many questions and I got placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and spent 20 hours down in central booking,” said arrested bicycle owner Robert Carnivale.

“What happened that night is simply unacceptable and unlawful behavior by the New York City police department. It demonstrates, unfortunately, a continued, ongoing pattern of hostility and harassment of New York City cyclists,” said civil rights attorney Norman Siegel.

Time's Up and the cyclists are now requesting a meeting with the commanding officer of the Ninth Precinct. They also want to know how the NYPD plans to return the bikes, and is demanding charges be dropped against those arrested.

The NYPD says some bikes were returned to their owners at the scene, while others were returned at the precinct if the rider could prove that they were the owner.

They also say there were two arrests; one for disorderly conduct, the other for a misdemeanor drug charge.
Old 06-05-07, 10:08 AM
mcoven

Bikes: Moots Vamoots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes me SICK!!!

https://blip.tv/file/252942/

https://www.onnyturf.com/wiki/

https://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=70390
Old 06-05-07, 11:44 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
CBS News had some cell phone video and NY 1 is running a story on their website

From https://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=70390

Local Bicyclists Want Charges Dropped From Alleged Sweep Last Week

June 04, 2007

A city environmental group and local bicyclists are calling on the NYPD to stop harassing people riding bicycles after they say police went on a raid last week.

The non-profit organization Time's Up says officers were videotaped Thursday night sawing off bike locks and arresting bystanders on East 6th Street between First and Second Avenues.

Witnesses say without warning, officers cut the locks off about 50 bikes and then let people walk off with them without showing proof of ownership. They say police also took away some of the bikes in an unmarked van.

One witness, who was videotaping the scene, was arrested after he asked one of the officers for his name and badge number. Another woman was also arrested after questioning the officers.

"I guess I started asking too many questions and I got placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and spent 20 hours down in central booking,” said arrested bicycle owner Robert Carnivale.

“What happened that night is simply unacceptable and unlawful behavior by the New York City police department. It demonstrates, unfortunately, a continued, ongoing pattern of hostility and harassment of New York City cyclists,” said civil rights attorney Norman Siegel.

Time's Up and the cyclists are now requesting a meeting with the commanding officer of the Ninth Precinct. They also want to know how the NYPD plans to return the bikes, and is demanding charges be dropped against those arrested.

The NYPD says some bikes were returned to their owners at the scene, while others were returned at the precinct if the rider could prove that they were the owner.

They also say there were two arrests; one for disorderly conduct, the other for a misdemeanor drug charge.
Holy sheiße! I assume this is the guy in the blip.tv clip. Obviously, the part where he presumably pisses off the cop isn't on film, but wtf? Papers, please? So, any lawyers out there? What is the law on providing ID on demand? And what is the law about requesting the name of a cop? And what is the law about filming police actions like this?
Old 06-05-07, 12:15 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back during the drug crack-downs in our local parks police started a new "rule." While carrying ID in't required by law, Police could detain individuals until they verified their identity. Times-Up had Norman Seigel, formerly of the New York Civil Liverties Union, at the news conference so if these cyclists were detained illegally I'm sure we'll hear about it.

Cops are supposed to wear name badges and recording events on a public street pretty much falls within First Ammendment rights. Of course we've whittled away at the First Ammendment quite a bit in recent years.
Old 06-05-07, 01:19 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Every day I mail myself a copy of the constitution with the hopes that the government will open it up and read it" - Bill Maher

I still can't wrap my head around the stupidity of what a PR nightmare this will be for them.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 06-05-07, 02:22 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in NYC and remember reading something about asking for a cop's badge # several years ago. I forget what the context was, but in any event the story said that you could ask a police officer for their badge # and they were required to give you an opportunity to take out pen and paper to write it down before they left.
Old 06-05-07, 02:27 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right. But unless a camerphone's rolling, don't expect not to be sited for "disorderly conduct" in return. And I guess even if the cameraphone's rolling....
Old 06-07-07, 12:41 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watched the video, and wondered why the arrested guy didn't just bolt before the plainclothes cop decided to arrest him. The cop didn't look like he could run all that fast. Doughnuts much?
Old 06-07-07, 01:52 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somebody in Advocacy forum suggested the same thing. The drawback: that guy would definitely torture you if he caught you.