Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Men: why shave your legs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: do you shave your legs?
Yes, It looks good
40.22%
No, shaving is for chicks
61.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Men: why shave your legs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 01:26 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full-body shave head to toe. The girls at the gym most likely prefer to be with guys who also workout. Having a shaved body allows your muscles to be more visible, plus it's a lot more sensitive when you're with a girl.

As for cycling, it really cuts down on the "ripping off of flesh" and infected pus buildup when you crash. Hairy legs & arms act like glue on the ground when you crash. Plus, if you commute and your destination doesn't have any showers, it's very easy to wipe your body down with a damp cloth. And you smell a lot less since your body oils won't accumulate in your hair.

And if any guy comments on why you shave your legs, then ask him WTF is he doing checking out your legs. That shuts them up very quickly.
Old 10-24-07, 04:16 PM
ralph12
Kamek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't shave mine. I'm sure I will someday, but I doubt I'd regularly keep up with it. I hate stubble, and it seems like keeping the legs stubble free would be a hassle. I've shaved them before just to see what it felt like I don't really care for it under jeans.
Old 10-24-07, 04:18 PM
ralph12
Kamek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
My leg hair is fantastic. It acts as a great bug barrier and it helps stop bleeding after getting scraped up. Also, I wear shorts until it actually dips below freezing, and even then I hitch my fleece up to expose the legs and cool off.

I think shaving by all but the upper tenth of one percent of racers is an affectation and part of the bizarre cult of cycling. It's one reason I will never claim to be a cyclist. I ride bikes. I ride with hairy legs, a red beard and I laugh at the wind.

The only time I've seen a shaved dog is after bringing one back from the vets. What are you talking about? What "big dogs"?

Old 10-25-07, 01:08 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too much trouble. I barely even shave my face. jeez, if I shaved my whole body it would take, like, three hours. can't you just use that Nair stuff or something?

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 10-25-07, 01:19 PM
SuperStroke
Grinder/Sufferer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
run a mach 3 over them everytime you shower, that's what I do anyway.
Old 10-25-07, 01:59 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
too much trouble. I barely even shave my face. jeez, if I shaved my whole body it would take, like, three hours. can't you just use that Nair stuff or something?
I tried it once. From what I gather, most women have also tried it once. Read my experience and you'll see why there aren't a lot of repeat users.

Nair
Old 10-25-07, 08:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I tried it once. From what I gather, most women have also tried it once. Read my experience and you'll see why there aren't a lot of repeat users.

Nair
That was funny!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-27-07, 09:11 AM
russdaz
Extreme nutter

Bikes: Scott AFD expert, with some carbon upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont shave my legs due to razor rashes cut etc and the ichyness from hair growing back to quickly. i have to shave every day if i did.

How ever i use a Epilator takes about 10min's once a week.

Reasons

I ride on dusty, salty, wet roads, so i use generally use oils, or heat barms in the colder months. Being hairless means i can use less of these products, also means i dont suffer from dry wind burnt skin.

I get quite alot of massage treatment due to amount of abuse the leg muscles take and a couple of long terms injuys, again being hairless helps to insure the oils gets to skin, massaging dry skin can burn.

It does help with cleaning road rush if you do crash.

It is easier to clean your legs to if you've been on a dirty, muddy road.

Other side issues, yes women to like it, (same as lycra altough a lot try to say they dont, but there eyes are soon down) yes it really does help show off your muscles too.
Old 10-27-07, 01:03 PM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's with the hairy PC chicks and the chips on shoulders? You're chicks, ok? It's only an insult if you choose to take it as one.

Now, onto the main thing - hair.

Body hair just sucks, period. Less is better. For both sexes. So keep it shaved, keep it clean, keep it sexy. Yeah baby!!
Old 10-28-07, 08:39 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a truly bizarre subculture, full of these men who pride themselves on being macho and sucking up pain but who still preen and pose like a bunch of teenaged girls.
Old 10-28-07, 09:29 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I thought it was a good question,I've often wondered that myself and I'm 50.Do they shave there arms too,I'm too distracted by their legs to notice their arms.I always thought it was sort of funny looking myself.

Poor guy is only 14 and can get people all bent out of shape.Imagine how good he will be in a couple years.

I used to shave my ankles when I played sports so that I could tape them.Guess I really didn't have too,I came off with the tape anyways,but it didn't hurt as bad if they were shaved.

Your right,chicks is not nice,we called them broads when I was growing up....LOL!!!
Old 10-28-07, 09:39 PM
BigBoss
Still A Teenage Boss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it takes a long time when you do a full body shave and it grows back so fast so there mostly is no point unless you have really nothing else to do wit ur time...n about the chicks lovin it part? not necessarily true cuz a lot of girls think its gay n think dudes wit sum hair(not like a bear) is manly..n if u cant get girls cuz u got a lil body hair then something is seriously wrong

Last edited by BigBoss; 10-28-07 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 09:49 PM
socal619
Burn Fat, Not Oil

Bikes: GT Palomar, IBEX Classic 4400, Trek something...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because curious college girls like to feel my smooth legs
Old 10-28-07, 09:56 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a truly bizarre subculture, full of these men who pride themselves on being macho and sucking up pain but who still preen and pose like a bunch of teenaged girls.
Are you talking about leg shaving? Or tattoos and piercings?
Old 10-28-07, 10:05 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBoss
it takes a long time when you do a full body shave and it grows back so fast so there mostly is no point unless you have really nothing else to do wit ur time...n about the chicks lovin it part? not necessarily true cuz a lot of girls think its gay n think dudes wit sum hair(not like a bear) is manly..n if u cant get girls cuz u got a lil body hair then something is seriously wrong
For the last 10 years, I've dated only athletic women (runners, triathletes, and cyclists)...and from what I can tell, the majority of these fine athletic women prefer the shaved look.

Most athletes put in a lot of time and effort in training, diet, etc. and are somewhat vain about their appearance as a result. So it just makes sense that an athletic woman would enjoy the look of muscles not hidden under fur.

Of course, this may not hold true with some women (e.g., illiterates, women who want to date wiseguys, etc. ).

And, FWIW, shaving legs and chest takes less than 10 minutes in the shower...about twice a week and I'm good to go (unless I've got a hot date that evening ).
Old 10-29-07, 11:14 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Are you talking about leg shaving? Or tattoos and piercings?
Leg shaving. It also seems rather telling that so many of the posts about shaving legs come with claims about how much the women supposedly love it. Now I'm not saying that hardcore cyclists are a bunch of preening nancy boys. I'm just strongly suggesting it.
Old 10-29-07, 12:50 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Leg shaving. It also seems rather telling that so many of the posts about shaving legs come with claims about how much the women supposedly love it. Now I'm not saying that hardcore cyclists are a bunch of preening nancy boys. I'm just strongly suggesting it.
My wife and kids were calling me Princess long before I started cycling or shaving my legs.
In fact, I think it started when my wife realized that I own more purses than she does.
Old 10-29-07, 03:19 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have developed, through a rather esoteric branch of yoga, the ability to make my leg hair conform to the laminar flow of air over the skin (somewhat akin to the ability of dolphins to manipulate their skin surface according to their speed thro' the water). This reduces drag below that of a shaved leg by some 14.3%, because I can use this to "fill in" the striations between my remarkably well defined muscularity.

I fully intend, when I can also do this at the same time as riding my bike, to market my programme to both sexes. I hope that this will appeal, not only to male riders, but also to female/women/lady cyclists / cyclistpersons who wish to simultaneously improve their aerodynamic efficiency and fight the patriarchal oppression in society towards people of such gender (while in no way seeking to diferentiate between the various permutations of sexuality which they may wish to practice, nor, indeed, imply that that is of sufficient importance to comment on).

Furthermore, I concur with the full and proper weight of opprobrium which the female/women/lady/person members have visited on the OP. Keep up the good work, girls!
Old 10-29-07, 05:28 PM
BigBoss
Still A Teenage Boss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
For the last 10 years, I've dated only athletic women (runners, triathletes, and cyclists)...and from what I can tell, the majority of these fine athletic women prefer the shaved look.

Most athletes put in a lot of time and effort in training, diet, etc. and are somewhat vain about their appearance as a result. So it just makes sense that an athletic woman would enjoy the look of muscles not hidden under fur.

Of course, this may not hold true with some women (e.g., illiterates, women who want to date wiseguys, etc. ).

And, FWIW, shaving legs and chest takes less than 10 minutes in the shower...about twice a week and I'm good to go (unless I've got a hot date that evening ).
nah im good my friend i dont like females who worked their titties or ass away due to much exercising
Old 10-29-07, 05:38 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah im good my friend i dont like females who worked their titties or ass away due to much exercising
It's cool....they're not attracted to Sasquatch either, so we each get more.
Old 10-29-07, 05:45 PM
BigBoss
Still A Teenage Boss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
It's cool....they're not attracted to Sasquatch either, so we each get more.
funny guy a lil hair don't make you a sasquatch...besides muscular chicks with no tits, sixpacks, and muscular asses don't rock and i'd say the majority of american males would agree since most mags wit models either have girls wit big tits or bubble butts...besides we different dudes of what you can say different cultures
Old 10-29-07, 06:02 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
funny guy a lil hair don't make you a sasquatch...besides muscular chicks with no tits, sixpacks, and muscular asses don't rock and i'd say the majority of american males would agree since most mags wit models either have girls wit big tits or bubble butts...besides we different dudes of what you can say different cultures
Different strokes...and mo fo me.
Old 10-29-07, 06:09 PM
BigBoss
Still A Teenage Boss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Different strokes...and mo fo me.
LOL, you right we got our own preferences, aint nothing wrong with that
Old 10-30-07, 02:03 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
I have developed, through a rather esoteric branch of yoga, the ability to make my leg hair conform to the laminar flow of air over the skin (somewhat akin to the ability of dolphins to manipulate their skin surface according to their speed thro' the water). This reduces drag below that of a shaved leg by some 14.3%, because I can use this to "fill in" the striations between my remarkably well defined muscularity.

I fully intend, when I can also do this at the same time as riding my bike, to market my programme to both sexes. I hope that this will appeal, not only to male riders, but also to female/women/lady cyclists / cyclistpersons who wish to simultaneously improve their aerodynamic efficiency and fight the patriarchal oppression in society towards people of such gender (while in no way seeking to diferentiate between the various permutations of sexuality which they may wish to practice, nor, indeed, imply that that is of sufficient importance to comment on).

Furthermore, I concur with the full and proper weight of opprobrium which the female/women/lady/person members have visited on the OP. Keep up the good work, girls!
patriarchal oppression? Why do you assume this is the case?

pc flunkie.
Old 10-30-07, 08:36 AM
1ply
Plays in Traffic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's compromise here:

https://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...-system+BG2022

The all-in-one body-grooming system, exclusively for men, trims and shaves all body zones. It's safe and easy.

Go half way. Not 'silky smooth', but not gorilla man.

There, everybody happy? .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.