Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 04:42 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing of note to and from work yesterday.

I almost got myself T-boned on the way in this evening and it was completely my bad. DOH! I guess my migraine was affecting my thinking more than I realized.
Old 01-31-09, 05:49 PM
Commuter76

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dygituljunky
Nothing of note to and from work yesterday.

I almost got myself T-boned on the way in this evening and it was completely my bad. DOH! I guess my migraine was affecting my thinking more than I realized.
Glad to hear you're alright!
Old 02-01-09, 04:34 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost my helmet. The commute earlier this week was incredibly stupid and cold. My balaclava and ski goggles feel kind of like wearing a helmet so I apparently left the helmet on my rack. I remember hearing a noise on the way home but didn't look. The good news: I just received the Bell Metro helmet in safety orange and am waiting for the winter/rain/mirror accessory kits. Also ordered the new Blackburn Mars 4 for the helmet. January is gone - 2 more months until free and clear of the snow.
Old 02-01-09, 05:48 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing really of note on the way home this morning. It was barely sub-freezing but still a Sunday morning ride (always the most pleasant).

On the way back to work this evening, I really wasn't feelin' it until about 2 miles into the ride and then noticed myself running in higher gears than usual despite a headwind. I guess that's when my coffee kicked in.

Originally Posted by Commuter76
Glad to hear you're alright!
Thanks, Commuter76, it was close. But, thankfully, the driver was watching out for temporarily knuckle-headed cyclists.
Old 02-02-09, 05:28 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38F/+3C or thereabouts. The Weather Channel's temps were all over the place this morning. I usually go by that reported for BWI (Baltimore Washington International for those not familiar with it), which is about 20-odd miles north and is usually most accurate for my locality.

Pretty mild given what we've been having the past few weeks. First time I've broken out the knickers is a good while. Felt great! Does this mean I'm too much in touch with my feminine side? Oh wait!--that's a different thread...
Old 02-02-09, 06:12 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a very nice ride in, 30 F (-1 C). Allot of the ice is gone, with pockets here and there. It is supposed to get up to 40 something F ( 8 or 9 C), so the ride home will be with less clothes. It is
supposed to start raining later on, and that is supposed to turn into snow/ice tonight and in tomorrow,
but later in the week is supposed to be in the 30s and 40 F. The light is getting longer and hope springs eternal.
Old 02-02-09, 06:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We're having almost springlike weather until the next cold front comes along. The high hit 63 F yesterday and it's supposed to be about the same today. I had to dress lighter this morning so I wouldn't get too hot riding home this afternoon, and was a little on the chilly side riding into work. But heh, I'm not complaining.
Old 02-02-09, 08:16 AM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very pleasant ride in today. Temp when I left was 19F and the sun was coming up. Made great time and no events good or bad to report on. Great way to start the month!!
Old 02-02-09, 08:45 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I hit a nasty pothole and my front wheel gradually flatted. I don't have any of my flat tire stuff with me (stupid, I know) so I'm going to have to go to the LBS about 6 blocks down the road just to get a lousy flat fixed
Old 02-02-09, 08:57 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Routine. A little slow- enough headwind to feel it, and temps in the 30s. It's supposed to warm up nicely this afternoon.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-02-09, 09:10 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute since early december. Felt great!
Old 02-02-09, 09:13 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've started commuing by bike 1-2 times per week, 11 miles each way. Today we had snow and about minus-2 degC. I had to push the bike for the first 15 mins on untreated road (6 inch snow). Once on the main road, gritted and slushy, it was ok. Pretty much how I expected my allez on 23mm don't gatorskins and no fenders to. But. Hadn't been on the bike for some time so it was fun to get back on.

However 3 miles into the commute, my fingers and toes had it. My gloves and shoes just weren't designed dr winter use so I had to stop and warm up again, then turn back my clothes were wet as expected then just before I turned off the main road, a bentley came onto the slushy part of the road and heavily sprayed my with salt sand grit slush crap.

Then as I turned into the smaller road (where I had earlier pushed the bike), the cent wheel skidded and down I went. I was going slowly, I was expecting the fall and should have nclipped earlier. Anyway, maybe time for a cx bike with fenders.

Some thngs I learned: brakes aren't as effective. Gears don't change cleanly and don't change at all for the first 5 minutes. Dedicated winter gloves and toe caps are essential.

Edit I meant contnental gatorskin (it's my iPhone )

Last edited by mustang1; 02-02-09 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 09:22 AM
T-Hussy
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Epic Carbon 92', Old-school fully-rigid specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride, no incidents to report. Feels good to get back to the road bike after riding the Hardrock for a week.
Old 02-02-09, 10:46 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
took the snow-tires off this weekend, nice smoooooooooth ride in today. Tomorrow's supposed to be gorgeous weather but I'm travelling for work. Back to biking Thursday in time for the rain.
Old 02-02-09, 11:00 AM
habernac
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aiming for all 4 work days this week. Time to get my sorry ass in some form of shape for the racing season.

Great morning, very warm (-1C) and the streets are all but clear of ice.
Old 02-02-09, 12:30 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been a while since I posted, busy at work. Only two stories to post from last week.

1) Got into a "discussion" with a driver after he laid on the horn behind me, then rode up on my rear, passed me closely, and cut in front of me. I caught him at the light and asked him what was up. He told me I shouldn't be in the middle of the road. I tried to explain to him why I was riding there; he didn't want to hear it and drove off.

2) Thursday afternoon I got caught in the worst weather I've ever experienced on my bike. I was about 2 miles from home when a torrential squall came in and dumped a tremendous amount of rain in just a few minutes. I pulled into a parking lot and got under an awning; the proprietor of the store asked me to hang out inside (which I did). This storm cell was impressive as he**. It was so bad that I couldn't BREATHE, let alone see. When I tried to inhale I just sucked in water.
Old 02-02-09, 01:12 PM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decent ride this morning, temps were moderate, around 40F. so I only needed my jacket-not the multiple layers as of late. Since we're expecting rain/snow tonight I decided to re-install my fenders. My intention is to leave them on until April/May but, I just hate the way they look so much that they're always on and off over the Winter. The only remaining ice I encountered was a 6 foot stretch under the 14th St. Bridge, otherwise it was smooth sailing. Oh yeah, at one point I was the last rider in a line of 3 with 2 more approaching from behind-that was a record for me. Cool.
Old 02-02-09, 01:12 PM
TimothyF
Roll Tide

Bikes: Windsor Tourist Diamondback Edgewood FRANKENBIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accepted a challenge of 500 miles this month.

I am trying to lose weight, and need goals like this to stay motivated.

To do this, I have changed my route of 6 miles one way, to 15 miles one way. I am also trying for a consecutive days riding record, which for me, usually has been 4.

My new route was a little of everything, suburban, rural, industrial and city. I was getting bored with my old route, and somewhat comfortable with the traffic. I don't want too comfortable with it. Several busy sections in my new route that keep me on my toes.

Weather was in the 40s F, but rain coming tonight. I suspect I will be tested to stick to my route in the rain when I could easily point the bike in a straight line home.
Old 02-02-09, 01:19 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had the non studded bike out but after some overnight snow I quick switched the bags and lights. 30 degrees and pleasant.
Old 02-02-09, 06:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
rode 2 bikes to work today because I thought I was going to have to leave one at the bike shop. They did the work while I was waiting so I got the wife to pick up the extra bike on her way home. Been a while since I've done that, it wasn't bad. Makes track stands trivial.
Old 02-02-09, 08:03 PM
nebuchenezzar

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my first commute! I have been trying for the last month to get the equipment/courage to actually do it. Its a great route, 11 miles each way 98% on MUP, but I am 265 and a total newbie at riding so it was a mental battle.

It was challenging but now that I sit here this evening, I feel great.
Old 02-02-09, 08:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Rode in the afternoon after coming home for lunch and seeing the roads were mostly clear. More snow supposed to be on the way.
Old 02-02-09, 08:24 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
rode 2 bikes to work today because I thought I was going to have to leave one at the bike shop. They did the work while I was waiting so I got the wife to pick up the extra bike on her way home. Been a while since I've done that, it wasn't bad. Makes track stands trivial.
How did you accomplish this? Did you hold one off to the side as you rode the other?
Old 02-02-09, 09:17 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nebuchenezzar
Today was my first commute! I have been trying for the last month to get the equipment/courage to actually do it. Its a great route, 11 miles each way 98% on MUP, but I am 265 and a total newbie at riding so it was a mental battle.

It was challenging but now that I sit here this evening, I feel great.

CONGRATULATIONS! And welcome to the club! A 22 mile RT is fantastic! And are you saying 265 lbs? And you're doing 22 mile round trips? You must be feeling great. Way to go! If you're planning on dropping some pounds I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast they go when you're doing that kind of mileage regularly. Even after almost 40 years of bike commuting I'm still inspired by hearing about that kind of ride. The first few rides are the toughest mental challenge. After a while it becomes a habit and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

My commute today was glorious- it was above 40〫F for the first time in about 2 months! Only weird thing was for the last part of my ride home I kept thinking I'd ridden through dog crap and then I realized that now that the weather was above freezing 2 months of frozen dog crap was thawing out at once and it was pervasive. yecccch.

One other thing. Got to my office today and drank some water and it tasted like sea water! Then I realized my lips and face were so coated with road salt I was like a pretzel- that can't be good for you, can it?

Other than all that- great ride!
Old 02-02-09, 11:41 PM
nebuchenezzar

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
CONGRATULATIONS! And welcome to the club! A 22 mile RT is fantastic! And are you saying 265 lbs? And you're doing 22 mile round trips? You must be feeling great. Way to go! If you're planning on dropping some pounds I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast they go when you're doing that kind of mileage regularly. Even after almost 40 years of bike commuting I'm still inspired by hearing about that kind of ride. The first few rides are the toughest mental challenge. After a while it becomes a habit and you'll wonder how you lived without it.:
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes its 265 lbs, and yes I am hoping to loose some. I'm excited about getting into the "groove" so to speak but need to fight the mental battle to not give up. I'm riding an old Bertoni road bike and although I'm sure its not a perfect fit, its getting me out there which was step one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.