Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck Seatpost. I need HELP!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck Seatpost. I need HELP!

Old 10-12-09, 01:49 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Try searching threads with stuck seatpost. We've gone over this scenario about a half dozen times in the past 3 years.
I agree search first is important is when the OP clearly has not tried many of the methods recommended by Sheldon Brown and others. Where new learning helps is when someone tries these methods and it still does not work, or someone tries a new method and has that to share, great.

There are 379 threads on stuck seatposts on this forum.
Old 10-12-09, 02:17 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...*snip*...There are 379 threads on stuck seatposts on this forum.

perhaps a stem/seatpost sticky is in order?
Old 10-12-09, 02:26 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
perhaps a stem/seatpost sticky is in order?
NO! we don't need stickies on every noob question.

You need to search Google properly.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...15299a959dbb33
Old 10-12-09, 02:33 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm with you on google bringing up splendid advice, but 379 posts is a lot. I bet this question doesn't get asked over in mechanics because the bikes with this issue are classic/vintage. In any case a sticky doesn't mean you won't see this question asked again either.

See you again on post 380 ;p
Old 10-12-09, 02:48 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
I'm with you on google bringing up splendid advice, but 379 posts is a lot. I bet this question doesn't get asked over in mechanics because the bikes with this issue are classic/vintage. In any case a sticky doesn't mean you won't see this question asked again either.

See you again on post 380 ;p
Yes, there are only 110 stuck post threads in the mechanics forum.... Stuck posts are not limited to old bikes.
Old 10-12-09, 02:50 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah Ha!

Three out of four stuck seatpost owners prefer the Classic and Vintage Forum
Old 10-12-09, 03:20 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seizing aluminum seaposts on steel frames had been an age-old problem with that seems to have escaped solution before the end of the steel frame era.
I don't totally argree with this thought. Anti-sieze is made for exactly this type of connection. I have removed 20 and 30 year old seat posts that came out as easily as when they were first installed. These bikes were not wall hangers either. One was kept in an air-ish shed and the other was kept in an unheated garage. Both of these bikes had the tires and gum rubber hoods rotted off.

I used Kroil to disassemble a 51 Ford p/u front axle assemble about a year ago and did not have to cut one connection. It took several days of soaking each day. It amazed me! PB Blaster may be a good and it is much easier to obtain.
Old 10-12-09, 05:13 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Also on ammonia, get the strong stuff. The dilute version sold at Walmart or your favorite grocery store is worthless.
ahhh... this would be why the household ammonia did not work on my stuck stem. I tried the cut it off & drill it out, but that didn't work as I couldn't control the drill finely enough to not dammage the fork. Ended up melting the aluminum out with a torch. Not nice. The frame is ok, the fork is iffy, so I'll probably just replace it. The first stuck one I encountered I ended up manhandling too much and bent the forks up. The seatpost on that hi-ten frame is also stuck and I've been 'leaving it till later' ... I'm going to have to try the PB Blaster.

I've also read that if all else fails you can cut off the top of the post and CAREFULLY, SLOWLY, CAREFULLY saw through the post, but not the seat tube, then roll it up and out with a pair of channel-locks. I'm very leary of this approach.

In any case to the OP, you are in good company, many of us encounter this problem. Some results are better than others. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-12-09, 05:39 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried the Sheldon Brown tips thank you. And I have searched and searched and searched the forum, but that does not mean you will find the answer that you need. Before you make assumptions about what people have and have not read please ask or don't make crude comments.

Thus far I have not been able to free the post...I may try to go from the BB with the PB Buster...but for now I am just riding as is...until I have the time/energy/desire to go further.

Thanks for the tips and advice.
Old 10-16-09, 12:34 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with skidoo; best torque is the vice method/useing the frame as the lever.
Old 10-16-09, 04:53 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Be aware if you follow Sheldon's advice to use the saddle as device to twist the post free, you may break the saddle. I finally freed a corroded steel post from a steel frame by turning it with a pipe wrench, after several days soaking in PB Blaster. This marred the seatpost. Sheldon recommeded against pipe-wrench technique, and I would not use it on a desirable frame.
Old 10-16-09, 10:11 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
If PB Blaster doesn't work, then it's likely nothing else will. I've used PB Blaster to unstick hardware on marine engines and exhaust systems. Sometimes the fasteners have to soak for a few days, but they'll usually come loose.

In the end you may have to use a pipe wrench to get the post loose (sacrificing the post). Stuck seatposts and the like are good lessons on how important it is to keep our bikes regularly maintained.
Old 10-17-09, 12:18 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
If you don't mind trashing the post I've had luck with a vice grips and dead blow hammer. The first step is always to use a penetrant like PB Blaster and give it time to work. I like the hammer/vice grip method. Once it starts moving keep going around in a spiral motion until it's free.
This is very timely. I just experianced my first stuck seat post yesterday on one of my "new" Raleigh Twenty's and followed the method Iowegian posted. I used Liquid Wrench, let it soak over night, locked the vise grips where the saddle clamp mounts and wackd it with a hammer. After several blows, the post broke free and it was just a matter of twisting back and forth with an upward pressure and it was out. Plus, the point where I attached the vise grips will be hidden by the saddle clamp.
Old 10-17-09, 05:48 PM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the first post that none of the usual methods would work. Just this afternoon I used an air hammer on the bottom side of the seatpost hammering upward. The post came right out. It had been soaking for several days first.
Old 10-17-09, 06:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
This is very timely. I just experianced my first stuck seat post yesterday on one of my "new" Raleigh Twenty's and followed the method Iowegian posted.
Steel post. Easy stuff.

-Kurt