Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fender Questions

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fender Questions

Old 10-13-09, 10:01 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fender Questions

Hi All,

I have recently acquired an 89 Nishiki Custom Sport road bike that I have converted to a single speed and I am using as my daily commuter. I realized a few days back that it does not have any braze-ons, or eyelets for things such as fenders or a rack. Also it has 27 1 1/4 wheels, which do not leave very much space at all--maybe enough room for a finger--between the tire and the brakes.

So has anyone else delt with this sort of problem before? Also I noticed on Velo Orange that they have a set of 37mm polished aluminum fenders...would those work on this bike? If pics are needed that will be fine, I plan on taking some eventually anyway.

Thanks for your comments...

Oh and I went with SS for the ease of keeping parts clean during the winter months...and to try something new...in case you were wondering.
Old 10-13-09, 10:26 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 357 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 384 Posts
P-clips will work around the no eyelet/braze on problem.

Are the wheels steel? It's my understanding that steel wheels + water = no brakes.

The reason I bring this up is that replacing the wheels with 700c wheels could give you the extra space you need for fender. I've got an old Gitane that I converted to fixed gear and switched the wheels and I've got tons of fender clearance, though it may have had more room than your to begin with.

The main issue here is whether or not your brakes have the reach for the slightly smaller wheels. What kind of brakes do you have?

Pictures could help here.
Old 10-13-09, 10:31 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have dia compe brakes...not sure if they would reach the 700c wheels...

As far as the steel problem...my rear wheel is Aluminum...my front is still steel, but I will replace eventually if I have the money to do so...or if someone wants to trade, though that's not likely.

I will take pics and try to post later...