Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Let's hear about your light set-up!!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Let's hear about your light set-up!!

Old 09-28-09, 04:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by cbchess View Post
Anyone else using the P7 flashlight or the Magicshine 900 lumen light?

I think I might order the P7 flashlight (also 900 lumen) from Deal extreme for like $34:
MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight (18650)

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

Anyone using this set up? anyone order from "DEAL EXTREME"? Are they a good website, are they trustworthy? Their prices seems too good to be true.

light + batteries+ bike mount+ charger is $55
I've purchased 3 of the P7 MTE flashlights from them. They are a little slow (took about a month for each order) but I didn't have any other problem with them. The 5 mode light has a pretty weak control system in it. It's subject to changing modes when it gets bumped. The 2 mode is cheaper and a bit more robust.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 09-28-09, 05:01 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know if its been brought up yet or not. But if you go to the Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets forum and check out the The best headlights under $50 thread. You'll find some nice light set-ups that are comparable to your top of the line lights.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=435347
Old 09-29-09, 02:26 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I commute 8.5 miles each way to work. I ride home well after dark. Fortunately, there isn't too much traffic.

This on the helmet:
15335 TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode Memory 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) $17.32
12000 Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers $2.21

This on the bars:
15642 Universal Bicycle Mount for Flashlights and Gadgets (2cm~3cm Diameter Adjustable) $2.55
22567 MTE SF-15 SSC P7-D-SXO 4-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) $30.50

1 PBSF on the rear
1 PBSF clone from wiggle that is 1/2 watt, but has a regular flash

The Q5 is spot beam, the P7 is floodier. I've ordered a second Q5 for the bars so that I can have a thrower to light up further down the road. I highly recommend a helmet mounted light. I think the moving light gets attention of drivers.
Old 09-29-09, 06:30 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really need to upgrade my lighting, but for the time being, my 7 mile commute is lit by a Wal Mart set of a Bell 5 LED headlight, and some sort of diamond-shaped LED red blinky on the back...
Old 09-29-09, 11:21 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
I've purchased 3 of the P7 MTE flashlights from them. They are a little slow (took about a month for each order) but I didn't have any other problem with them. The 5 mode light has a pretty weak control system in it. It's subject to changing modes when it gets bumped. The 2 mode is cheaper and a bit more robust.
Which one did you get? I was ready to pull the trigger on the 5 mode P7 MTE. I looked at a few of the 2 mode P7 MTE they had. Some of them got a bad review or two about being unregulated and getting too hot.
Old 09-29-09, 03:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by cbchess View Post
Which one did you get? I was ready to pull the trigger on the 5 mode P7 MTE. I looked at a few of the 2 mode P7 MTE they had. Some of them got a bad review or two about being unregulated and getting too hot.
I have 2 of the 5 mode and one of the 2 mode. The two mode is far more useful in my opinion. The 5 mode has problems with bumps and impacts. On a helmet it's just fine but on the bars, a slight bump will make it go all disco. Very annoying. I haven't had any problems with the 2 mode at all.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 09-29-09, 04:26 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dynohub driving an iq Fly in front and dtoplight xs in the rear. Plus a rear blinky, and a high viz vest with red leds built into it that blink. Full set of reflectors. Gets me through the Seattle winter, and the dynohub setup was one of my best bike purchases ever.
Old 09-29-09, 07:26 PM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 of the 5 mode and one of the 2 mode. The two mode is far more useful in my opinion. The 5 mode has problems with bumps and impacts. On a helmet it's just fine but on the bars, a slight bump will make it go all disco. Very annoying. I haven't had any problems with the 2 mode at all.
hmmm
I read in the light reviews at deal extreme someone that had this problem they loosened the switch somehow. another had a loose battery connection.

I ordered the 5 mode today. I hope it doesn't give me trouble!
Old 09-29-09, 08:07 PM
duppie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to celebrate Xmas early this year and order a complete Dinotte set:
- 800L mounted on the handlebar.
- 400L helmet mounted
- 400R taillight

So far, I am impressed. The lights come with every possible piece of mounting hardware, extension cords, Y-splitter, etc. I already like the fact that each of the 3 lights has the same UI, and it is pretty logical. I am still trying to figure the best pattern, but I already decided on the Slow Pulse pattern for the taillight.

I upgraded for 2 reasons: 1. I finally can park my bike inside, so I can leave the lights on the bike during the day. 2. For the last 2 years I used 2 Fenix L2Ds on the front, but the second winter the lights became flaky (refusing to work halfway thru, etc.)
Old 09-29-09, 08:19 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duppie View Post
- 400L helmet mounted
- 400R taillight

So far, I am impressed.
For I'm guessing somewhere around a grand in cost I sure hope so!

I don't know if I could ever spend that much. It sure would buy a boat load of Fenix lights though eh?

Congrats. That is a lot of light.

btw, I do have a Dinotte 140 and it is amazing. Can't imagine what the 400R is like.
Old 09-29-09, 10:10 PM
dynodonn 
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I don't know if I could ever spend that much.
In my early years of commuting, one could buy the LBS's top line for next to nothing, and the light factor was just about on par with the price. Today's bicycle light selection is endless, and the price tag seems to match it as well.

When my pocket book tries to dictate my expenditures on items that I consider for my safety, I will factor the ER cost equation into the mix, and usually I opt for the higher end equipment. If you do not want to use the ER factor, at least get a lighting system that will match the worst nightly weather conditions you may find yourself venturing into.
Old 09-30-09, 04:27 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
In my early years of commuting, one could buy the LBS's top line for next to nothing, and the light factor was just about on par with the price. Today's bicycle light selection is endless, and the price tag seems to match it as well.

When my pocket book tries to dictate my expenditures on items that I consider for my safety, I will factor the ER cost equation into the mix, and usually I opt for the higher end equipment. If you do not want to use the ER factor, at least get a lighting system that will match the worst nightly weather conditions you may find yourself venturing into.
My lighting system is most certainly adequate for my needs pushing 1000 lumens in front with the Dinotte in back. Probably around $800 less than the full Dinotte set up. If my commute were long, I might consider spending more.

Now if money were not an object, no question I'd have full Dinotte.
Old 09-30-09, 05:51 AM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- 400L helmet mounted
- 400R taillight

So far, I am impressed. The lights come with every possible piece of mounting hardware, extension cords, Y-splitter, etc. I already like the fact that each of the 3 lights has the same UI, and it is pretty logical. I am still trying to figure the best pattern, but I already decided on the Slow Pulse pattern for the taillight.

I upgraded for 2 reasons: 1. I finally can park my bike inside, so I can leave the lights on the bike during the day. 2. For the last 2 years I used 2 Fenix L2Ds on the front, but the second winter the lights became flaky (refusing to work halfway thru, etc.)
My niterider tri-newt failed on monday. Niterider graciously agreed to repair it. While I am waiting for its return, I ordered a Dinotte 800/400 front combo, around $450. Ordered on Monday, in my hands on Tuesday! Wow - this is an awesome up front package. I already have a Dinotte 400r in the back. I would put the cost somewhere around $800 (edit: cost is $650) if you were buying all three at once. The beauty of Dinotte is the interchangeable batteries and chargers for all the Lithium systems. Not to forget that a replacement battery is fifty to seventy bucks, not two hundred like for a tri-newt.

Dinotte 400r is too powerful for club rides - riders drafting you will complain about the tail light being too bright, some even when you set it on low power continuous.

All in all, this system is way more than I need, but everything that I want.

Last edited by Hot Potato; 09-30-09 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 07:18 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mines pretty simple (and should really be upgraded): I run a PB 10W halogen up front and a single blinkie on my backpack in back. This has worked for years but I'm regularly seeing other cyclists with much brighter lights. I'd like an inexpensive (maybe a DIYer) to really illuminate the trail, especially with Winter coming on.
Old 09-30-09, 07:23 AM
duppie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
For I'm guessing somewhere around a grand in cost I sure hope so!
Maybe that is part of the problem. A lot of people have this perception of Dinotte that prices are through the stratosphere. However, I paid %35 less than your estimate...

Could I have gotten the same Lumen output for less (read: MS)? I read the thread on the MS over on the electronics forum in detail. While I think that Chinese sourced lights are the way of the future, I think this light is in the early adapter phase. There are questions on the waterproofness of the battery, and the quality of the mount. Oh, and a SOS mode on a bike light? Really?
Everybody is quite happy with it right now, but no one has had it long enough to really run into issues besides DOA's. Let's see in March of '10 after a harsh winter whether everybody still thinks the quality is great. (After all that is what happened to my Fenix lights. Initial reports were that it was an awesome light. I bought them too. Of course, when I ran into issues the 90-day warranty period had passed.)
All of this is OK if you are a tinkerer or if you are an early adapter. But I have neither the time, nor the inclination to tinker with my lights, so I decided to spend up and likely avoid all these issues
Duppie
Old 09-30-09, 09:59 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
However, I paid %35 less than your estimate...

Could I have gotten the same Lumen output for less (read: MS)? I read the thread on the MS over on the electronics forum in detail. While I think that Chinese sourced lights are the way of the future, I think this light is in the early adapter phase. There are questions on the waterproofness of the battery, and the quality of the mount. Oh, and a SOS mode on a bike light? Really?
Everybody is quite happy with it right now, but no one has had it long enough to really run into issues besides DOA's. Let's see in March of '10 after a harsh winter whether everybody still thinks the quality is great. (After all that is what happened to my Fenix lights. Initial reports were that it was an awesome light. I bought them too. Of course, when I ran into issues the 90-day warranty period had passed.)
All of this is OK if you are a tinkerer or if you are an early adapter. But I have neither the time, nor the inclination to tinker with my lights, so I decided to spend up and likely avoid all these issues
Duppie
35% eh? Where at? I thought that 800 lumen headlight was nearly $500 on its own.

As far as P7's and Fenix lights (the stuff I have) and weather, I ride in rain, snow and subzero temps and have never had any issues. Part of that is luck I know.
Old 09-30-09, 10:16 AM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dinotte online store. They sell all sorts of combo packages. A 600 front, 140 rear for $ 439. The works, 600 front, 400 helmet, 400 rear for $600. add a bit for upgrading to an 800, an extra charger or two, and you are still well below my $800 estimate above. So really, top of the line Dinotte rig 800/400/400 lumens is $650 shipped to your door real fast.

https://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=497687935
Old 09-30-09, 10:33 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 the two mode is a better choice, IMO. I run mine along with my L&M Vega as a backup/flash/additional light on most of my bikes, and in conjunction with my dynamo powered Lumotech on my Superbe with the dynohub.

On the rear I have a Toplight mounted on each bike's rack (if it has a rack) and a PBSF on my trunk bag or seat bags. I can also put a PBSF on each pannier, when I use them, on the racked bikes or one on the back of my jacket or rain cape. On my Big Dummy I have two PBSFs mounted on the Freeloader rails and another on the seat bag.

Last edited by chipcom; 09-30-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 02:24 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got my Romisen RC-N3 CREE Q5 LED Flashlight last Oct. from Shiningbeam.com https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...CREE-Q5/Detail and put that thing thru everything you could think of. Rain, Freezing rain, snow, and sub-zero temps, riding everyday. And it's held up great. You get over 200 lumens for $24. The Romisen is in the middle of my light array. The others are some cheap LBS lights, Viewpoint Flare. This set-up costs me about $75 including the rechargeable batteries I use. Which are good for at least 1000 cycles.

Last edited by scoatw; 09-30-09 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 01:50 PM
BikeyGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front......Nightride Trinewt
Reat.......Cateye TL-LD1100
Old 10-06-09, 02:08 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

luxeon wl501b on commuter and another on my track bike's seatbag.

mte sf15 p7
mte p7-c two mode
i can double up on the p7's if i'm feeling evil.

the sf15 has a high strobe function and kicks ass... it stays on my track bike.

i also have a blaze1w pbsf and a stealth superflash. they are on the commuter.

my road bike is singlespeed right now and has no lights cept knog frogs, but if i need to i can migrate the superflash combo pretty easily.
Old 10-06-09, 02:17 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet Bike 3 LED blinkie on back. Was thinking about this handlebar mount and this Nkoray K-106 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (with 3 steady modes and a blinking mode) for the front before it starts getting dark too early. Anyone have any experience with either of these?
Old 10-06-09, 03:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 592 Posts
I just wanna say that I always love the "lights" thread, especially cuz of the pictures. This thread is guaranteed entertainment. THANKS!
Old 10-13-09, 03:15 PM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
My niterider tri-newt failed on monday. Niterider graciously agreed to repair it.
My trinewt has been returned today. Battery tested as good, so the light's cord was replaced. It definitely fits into the battery way more snug than before the repair, explaining why it would cut out after hitting bumps. All in all, a very good experience with niterider warranty service. The 0nly warranty service that could beat this is not needing warranty repair in the first place, but when you do need it, Niterider takes care of you.
Old 10-13-09, 03:33 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headlight-P7
Taillight-Cateye TD 1100

The P7 is bright enough to light up the darkest of streets I like the TD 1100 because it is super bright (for the price) and I have had the same batteries in it for over a year and it is still chugging away!

One note on the P7, if you plan to buy one, don't buy the simple little mount...it does not secure the light like it should, I have to secure the light to the mount with a rubber band...the light has fallen off on me when I hit a bump, but not with the rubber bands. Otherwise great purchase...beware it does take nearly a month for it to come in though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.