Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 07:26 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It was chilly this morning. I wore gloves and my balaclava as a cap to cover my ears.
I love riding during this time of year, it's so enlivening. My chain had a bit of slack to it, I might need to adjust it tonight.

Old 10-14-09, 08:08 AM
Magnificent777
SoldierCyclist

Bikes: 2011 Motobecane Vent Noir Road Bike, 2012 Motobecane Elite Sport 29er Hybrid Bike, 2011 Kestrel Carbon Road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I biked in to work from my girlfriend place. It was a nice up and down 6mile road. I did it in 22 min.

I was scrolling through my bike computer and was shocked that I reached a max speed of 41mph. Wow ! That is the fastest I been on bike!! I have been trying to draft off cars in front of me and one time manage to over take a bus as it was pulling out. He was shocked as I passed him. I was just smiling but of course he caught up and passed me.

It's fun to commute in the fog after the rain.
Old 10-14-09, 08:09 AM
MondoSam

42F and 5-10mph winds this morning. Very nice ride. Haven't broken out the leg-warmers yet, so I'm still doing shorts. I'll wait until the temps are in the 30s.

Old 10-14-09, 08:36 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little warmer today, 36F, but very foggy to the point of being misty. I was thankful for all my lights. At one point a couple of guys that looked like they were on a training ride came up behind me with no lights at all. Nutty.

Paul
Old 10-14-09, 08:39 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
47 w/ winds of 10-15 mph... headwind. (Yesterday had a heavenly tailwind riding home though.) The real excitement of the commute happened once I was almost to work. A little less than a mile from work (downtown DC), the traffic cop is out keeping traffic clear in two directions for a motorcade. Not a rare occurence in DC, but first I'd seen it at that spot. Had to wait 5-10 minutes.

Get to the office and realize my ID badge has fallen out of my pocket. Double back about a mile, when I'm about to just give up and beg security for a new one, when... a group of tourists asks, "Are you looking for your ID?" They'd found it on the sidewalk and were going to give it to a cop. "Crisis" averted.

I rode with a bit of a head cold, but it made me feel better to have gotten out and ridden to work this AM, contrary to wife's advice. That is to say, it made me feel physically better, not made me feel better to do something contrary to the wife's advice ;-)
Old 10-14-09, 09:00 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55 and dry on the way in this morning....the temperature dropped by 11 degrees and it rained on my way home.

I didn't wear gloves or ear coverings...so my hands were cold both times, but on the way home I put the hood of my windbreaker up under my helmet...it worked sufficiently. I didn't plan on rain so I wore jeans and running shoes, with no fenders....needless to say my bottom half is kinda wet

All in all it was a good ride both ways...though I really can not wait for my fenders to get here!
Old 10-14-09, 09:34 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice avatar

Originally Posted by EKW in DC
47 w/ winds of 10-15 mph... headwind. (Yesterday had a heavenly tailwind riding home though.) The real excitement of the commute happened once I was almost to work. A little less than a mile from work (downtown DC), the traffic cop is out keeping traffic clear in two directions for a motorcade. Not a rare occurence in DC, but first I'd seen it at that spot. Had to wait 5-10 minutes.

Get to the office and realize my ID badge has fallen out of my pocket. Double back about a mile, when I'm about to just give up and beg security for a new one, when... a group of tourists asks, "Are you looking for your ID?" They'd found it on the sidewalk and were going to give it to a cop. "Crisis" averted.

I rode with a bit of a head cold, but it made me feel better to have gotten out and ridden to work this AM, contrary to wife's advice. That is to say, it made me feel physically better, not made me feel better to do something contrary to the wife's advice ;-)
Old 10-14-09, 09:34 AM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet and wetter. Lots of rain. Lots of fun in the rain
Old 10-14-09, 10:22 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
drizzly but not the pineapple express I was expecting. 50F so warmish, relative to the last week or so anyway.
Old 10-14-09, 10:52 AM
Chilled

Bikes: Brodie Energy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crossed the diagonal railway lines in the rain, wiped out and went down hard. My bike is OK, not even a scratch!!!!
Old 10-14-09, 11:06 AM
endless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
little foggy on the way in, warm and beautiful on the way home, no complaints here
Old 10-14-09, 11:19 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beingtxstate
Nice avatar
First, let me say, back at ya! Second, let me say, d'oh... did I steal yours? Avatar faux pas? I just changed a few weeks ago, but I just got the avatar through Google Images... didn't mean to step on your (avatar's) toes.

Reminds me of a couple weeks ago. A fellow commuter comes up from behind and as he's riding, says "Nice backpack." At first I was thinking, why the sarcasm, dude? I know this is an old, beat up LL Bean beackpack I've had for almost twenty years, but it works. Then as he goes around me, I see he's got the same pack in the same color...
Old 10-14-09, 12:53 PM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilled remember: "Slippery when wet."

And since when has it been dry lately? Another ride in the rain for me as well. RXR crossings are nasty. I have 1 to go over and take it carefully. Was a little overdressed for the ride this AM and was warm. Will adjust for next rainy ride. Probably this afternoon, will see. 60 deg weather this week for the most part in the mornings but rainy. ah well. can't have everything.
Old 10-14-09, 01:09 PM
FastEddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my new ride into work for the first time this morning (7.5 KM); a 1988 Nishiki Silouette, powder coated black and converted to single speed coaster break, with green 700x28c tires and chain, Brooks Flyer special and leather handlebar tape. Rode like a dream through neighbourhoods and along a canal. So silent, all I could hear was leaves crunching under the wheels. Had to fishtail a little to avoid a pedestrian on a footbridge.

I have had the bike for 20 years but it feels brand new riding as a single speed.
Old 10-14-09, 02:52 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wind didn't hit until I was home last night and rain held off too. This morning kind of a nice ride in. Water on roadway but missed the morning rain. Only saw a couple other regular cyclists out today with friendly nods, "Hey, you are still here!" It's dumping out there now and it may be a wet ride home. Discovered need of new rain booties since mine now have a hole and didn't really help keep feet dry so much this morning...
Old 10-14-09, 07:39 PM
sewil
lurker....

Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Sprint, 2007 Jamis Coda, 1997 Gary Fisher MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastEddy
I rode my new ride into work for the first time this morning (7.5 KM); a 1988 Nishiki Silouette, powder coated black and converted to single speed coaster break, with green 700x28c tires and chain, Brooks Flyer special and leather handlebar tape. Rode like a dream through neighbourhoods and along a canal. So silent, all I could hear was leaves crunching under the wheels. Had to fishtail a little to avoid a pedestrian on a footbridge.

I have had the bike for 20 years but it feels brand new riding as a single speed.
hmmm...picture please!
Old 10-14-09, 09:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Put down 40 km today in the snow, slush, and increasingly treacherous ice with hardly a care... you gotta love studded tyres.

Now I just to get fenders on the new winter build and wish it was for me and not my friend.
Old 10-14-09, 09:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Two days in a row, no ride. Off site training with no good place to lock up. Screw it, I drove.
Old 10-15-09, 04:47 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a chilly ride in at 36 F ( 1 C). The rain happened last night and it is supposed to continue all day, but I managed to slip through a window of some sort. I didn't see any stars, so I guess the clouds are still there. Passed some deer sitting munching on something, of course a month ago or so, they would have bolted, but now they just keep on munching as we exchange glances. I ran over a large twig, going around a corner, and felt the front tire slide, at which that falling feeling came over me, but the tire recovered and I was none worse for the wear.
Old 10-15-09, 06:03 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right around freezing this morning. Bit of a tailwind. Yesterday, during my ride home, I heard something hitting my jacket. Sounded like rain, but there was no water. Then I figured out it was sleet. It's only October! It only lasted a minute or two though.

And I see there's snow in the Adirondacks. Whiteface's ski trails stand out.
Old 10-15-09, 07:05 AM
cydisc
Leaving Clydehood

Bikes: Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High 40's and spitting rain.
Old 10-15-09, 07:17 AM
jpdesjar

Nice riding this morning, it was brisk and bright.
I was a little chilly to start out, but I was just right when I arrived at work.

I riding this time of year.

Old 10-15-09, 08:24 AM
genel

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 0, Rivendell- Sam Hillborne, Montague folding bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wimped out, 40 and rain, colder temps and wind forecast. Snow forecast for tomorrow.
Old 10-15-09, 08:32 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in this morning. We are getting into a warm spell (almost 45F this morning). I did have some trouble with my lights, but it was OK.

Paul
Old 10-15-09, 08:36 AM
MondoSam

Me too. 40 and rain. Wimped out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.