Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone become angry or aggressive while riding your fixie?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 07:05 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been having a problem with this recently. The weather is heating up and I can no longer enjoy completely empty bike paths all to myself. The bike path is filled with drunks, criminals, 3rd world people who don't respect rules causing trouble. Someone stole my under seat pack increasing my rage and just 2 days ago 3 scumbags tried to jump me, I had to swing my Abus Bordo 5700 at the leader's head to get them to back down.

I'm almost 40 years old but I find myself looking to get into confrontations with people, cut me off and almost hit me on purpose and then cuss me out? You're taking the Bordo to the passenger side window.

When I'm not on the bike I'm not like this, I'm able to back down and let potential fist fights pass. I think it is because of the Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone being released as I ride my bike.

I can't stand other cyclists either. The aero 60 year old men going 22 MPH for 5 minutes are worse than the drunks.

Guess I just need to wait till winter when all of these people stay inside.
Old 06-19-16, 07:08 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 06-19-16, 07:09 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Lighten up, Francis.
It's hard, I'm very muscular and people start trouble with me on a daily basis because of this.
Old 06-19-16, 07:14 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Likewise.

I'm all about unclipping and kicking old folks or children over as I ride past. Strictly only when I'm fixie-ing.
Old 06-19-16, 07:15 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BeboSaab
The bike path is filled with drunks, criminals, 3rd world people who don't respect rules causing trouble.
I must have missed something...which group are you in??
Old 06-19-16, 07:16 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://bfy.tw/HPr
Old 06-19-16, 07:26 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really sure anger management would help. It's cycling specific more than anything, I can't explain it. I wouldn't even really describe it as a white hot anger that I can't control, a lot of times I want this stuff to happen cause I want to go off on someone.

I'm not yelling or red in the face during any of this. Did Judo and wrestling my whole life and I'm pretty relaxed, the anger is kind of inside like I really want to hurt this person for messing with me for no reason. It's not like I'm raging mad and swinging at people I can walk away 100% of the time.
Old 06-19-16, 07:27 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It must be hard walking away with those 30-inch quads of yours.
Old 06-19-16, 07:29 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
It must be hard walking away with those 30-inch quads of yours.
No it actually makes it easier because I don't like fighting with scrawny people, and scrawny people usually don't start in with me unless they're on drugs.
Old 06-19-16, 07:47 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
youre almost 40 years old**********?
Old 06-19-16, 07:49 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
youre almost 40 years old**********?
Yeah I'm 39
Old 06-19-16, 08:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I 3rd world people who don't respect rules causing trouble.
The Cold War is long over so this 3rd world doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for a long long long time. The 1st world was countries aligned with the U.S. during the cold war, the 2nd world was those aligned with the Soviet Union and the 3rd world was countries not aligned with either the U.S. or the Soviet Union.

What it sounds like to me is you need to relax a bit and stop trying to be as macho as possible and as always DON'T BE A DICK! These are all words we can live by. It is fine to get angry once and a while when someone truly does something wrong but people riding/walking/jogging/strolling/scooting on a multi use path are not any reason to get angry neither are people from the Cold War era or people of other races, genders, religions, sexual orientations, or what have you.

If MUPs are bothering you than maybe MUPs are not the best place for you to ride. I know I tend to avoid them because things are pretty chaotic and most people don't know how to use them properly. Maybe what you need is a velodrome where everything is generally more stable as people are going in the same direction doing the same thing and you can use your aggression in a better way.
Old 06-19-16, 08:25 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
https://youtu.be/2ZjviMmXIY8
is this you when you log in to bikeforums dot net
Old 06-19-16, 08:26 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
https://youtu.be/2ZjviMmXIY8
is this you when you log in to bikeforums dot net
lol no, I'm 230 all muscle I don't need to buy fancy cars or clothes.
Old 06-19-16, 08:28 PM
JeremyLC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread needs this video

Old 06-19-16, 08:30 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
so yes.
Old 06-19-16, 08:35 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Cold War is long over so this 3rd world doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for a long long long time. The 1st world was countries aligned with the U.S. during the cold war, the 2nd world was those aligned with the Soviet Union and the 3rd world was countries not aligned with either the U.S. or the Soviet Union.

What it sounds like to me is you need to relax a bit and stop trying to be as macho as possible and as always DON'T BE A DICK! These are all words we can live by. It is fine to get angry once and a while when someone truly does something wrong but people riding/walking/jogging/strolling/scooting on a multi use path are not any reason to get angry neither are people from the Cold War era or people of other races, genders, religions, sexual orientations, or what have you.

If MUPs are bothering you than maybe MUPs are not the best place for you to ride. I know I tend to avoid them because things are pretty chaotic and most people don't know how to use them properly. Maybe what you need is a velodrome where everything is generally more stable as people are going in the same direction doing the same thing and you can use your aggression in a better way.
I was talking more about the American vernacular version of 3rd world which is different from the original definition, I am aware of both definitions and I am grateful to you for attempting to educate me.

I'm not sure macho is the right word. I don't stare people down, I never talk shyt and I'm never aggressive at all. I really go out of my way to avoid conflict on the fixie. I don't do shyt to cars and I don't ride in the road with them. I drive a Mazda Miata which is a pretty feminine / gay car.

I don't mind people using strollers on a multi use path, I have never once gotten pissed at this. Walkers don't bother me unless they form a group of 5 and block the whole path to be aggressive, it's usually the inner city kids doing this but it's uncommon.

I tend to ride late at night to avoid the heat and people but now I'm getting attacked doing that lol, jumped by multiple attackers, just can't win.

Velodrome seems like a cool idea, maybe I'll give that a shot.

The standard stuff that happens on MUPs isn't it, people are screaming their heads off at me trying to start fights for no reason all the time and I'm having trouble not drilling these dudes into the pavement with huge throws. Last summer I just smoked this 18 year old weightlifting kid and I'm trying to avoid that this year, was in 2 fixie related fights in 2015 and 1 in 2016 already.
Old 06-19-16, 08:44 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
There was never really a universal concensus on what defined First/second/third world. Mao Zedong's three-worlds theory put both the USSR and the US as the first world, as supposedly dominant imperialist nations. The Second world was considered to be lesser imperial powers, the Warsaw pact and NATO satellite states of the first world countries such has poland and the UK. The third world being the countries colonized by the first and second worlds.

Neither the definitions given by yourself or Mao are accurate, really. In practice a lot of the countries that are traditionally thought of as third world were soviet aligned and net receivers of soviet aid. Mao's post sino-soviet split characterisation of the USSR as an imperialist power was just his rationalisation for neutralising the American threat through friendship - something that could only be done by casting the yanks as a lesser evil, and makes no sense in an ML framework at all.

In the modern day "third world" is just used as a shorthand for "undeveloped hellhole full of unwashed barbarians" so I guess our boy BeboSaab is just a racist.
Old 06-19-16, 08:50 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've met people of every race that were a lot smarter than me and I admit that so by definition I can't be a racist.
Old 06-19-16, 08:51 PM
JeremyLC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...and as always DON'T BE A DICK! These are all words we can live by...

Our Lord and Savior says so, too!

(available on a T-Shirt, too!
Old 06-19-16, 08:55 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

If Jesus was real, he certainly wasn't a white guy. Just sayin'!
Old 06-19-16, 08:56 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
what do you mean "our lord"?
Old 06-19-16, 08:57 PM
BeboSaab
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The real Jesus is of course Yahawa Bashimi Awashadd and a West African man of the tribe of Judah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82oJuOlzdac
Old 06-19-16, 09:04 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Old 06-19-16, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
There was never really a universal concensus on what defined First/second/third world. Mao Zedong's three-worlds theory put both the USSR and the US as the first world, as supposedly dominant imperialist nations. The Second world was considered to be lesser imperial powers, the Warsaw pact and NATO satellite states of the first world countries such has poland and the UK. The third world being the countries colonized by the first and second worlds.

Neither the definitions given by yourself or Mao are accurate, really. In practice a lot of the countries that are traditionally thought of as third world were soviet aligned and net receivers of soviet aid. Mao's post sino-soviet split characterisation of the USSR as an imperialist power was just his rationalisation for neutralising the American threat through friendship - something that could only be done by casting the yanks as a lesser evil, and makes no sense in an ML framework at all.

In the modern day "third world" is just used as a shorthand for "undeveloped hellhole full of unwashed barbarians" so I guess our boy BeboSaab is just a racist.
The general consensus has been what I stated generally. People can argue and debate it till they are blue in the face and probably do but the definition is pretty widely accepted and yes I was using a broad brush and things did change during the Cold War yada yada yada but for the sake of this argument what I said holds. I am not really much into Mao so I certainly won't debate what you said on him because most communism just doesn't do much for me.

I've met people of every race that were a lot smarter than me and I admit that so by definition I can't be a racist.

Meeting smarter people for you seems not to be a hard thing. Knowing someone doesn't make you not a racist magically. I could know someone from every race on the planet and could still easily be racist.

Jesus was a Jew, people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.