Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Moped, or scooter, anyone?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 09-23-16, 11:13 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I got a new bike last April, first time I've taken riding seriously.

I really love it. I did my first half-century a couple weeks ago, and want to keep that up.

However, I'm not loving commuting to work on the bike as much as I had hoped and dreamed. For some reason needing to arrive at work on time and early enough to wash up/etc. really sucks the joy out of riding for me.

Someone on this board suggested I start taking more rides for fun vs. commuting. That was a great idea and I'm putting that into practice. But I kind of still want a bike-ish commute to work when the weather is nice.

I've wanted a moped for many years, far longer than I wanted a bike. Maybe it's an idea who's time has come. Does anyone else own/enjoy a moped, scooter, or motorcycle on the side? My aspirations are not huge, I just want a little scoot that I don't need to register or pay insurance for. Also, I guess the closer it is in size and speed to a bicycle, the more I'll enjoy it.

Experiences? Suggestions? Just curious.
Thanks!

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 09-23-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 11:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 538 Posts
Ummm.

If you know what you want, why come here for support? Go get your moped and enjoy it.

There is a forum I believe specifically for electric bikes which might also be a useful resource. Possibly electric versus gasoline will appeal to you (though I cannot say which actually burns more fossil fuels.)

I used to ride a motorcycle and it is fun. Nothing like cycling except that you are out in the air. I assume a moped would offer a lot of the same pleasures, plus you would get to use bike lanes (I think.)

Anyway, I have less than an hour of mopedery under my belt ... it was fun but not compelling for me.

On another hand, I definitely understand about getting to work sweaty and trying to cool down and clean up before the day begins.
Old 09-23-16, 11:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 325 Posts
I had a Motobecane moped decades ago. It was fun, and zipped along about 35 mph on the flats. Putted fairly slowly uphill though. But inexpenisve and fun way to get around.

I sed to commute to work at a previous place that had showers. I wish my current place did.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-23-16, 11:52 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
None for me, thanks!
Old 09-23-16, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 821 Posts
Go talk to your peers Here https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...-bicycles.html

Many NL Bike Paths also let Small displacement Mo-Peds use them too..

My local does MTB Mid drive electric Motor conversions for Mostly Hunters.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-23-16 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 03:57 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Never had a moped per se, but once did own a Honda Passport motorcycle. 70cc engine, and just powerful enough that it was deemed a motorcycle and had to be licensed as such. Loved that thing. Hit 40 mph with ease, and 45 with a bit of patience. Great for getting around an urban area. These days I might look at an electric bicycle over a moped.

My problem with anything that's legally a moped is that they simply are not fast enough for traffic. Impractical. Go a little bit larger, or go electric so that you can still ride bike paths and such.
Old 09-23-16, 04:43 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My take: take the MSF course and buy a small motorcycle (250/300cc). If you are already thinking along moped/scooter lines, that is. A motorcycle will give you more flexibility and power. We all want more power, don't we? ;-)

Although, I can certainly also understand the romantic allure of a scooter . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Roman_Holiday.jpg (91.4 KB, 288 views)
Old 09-23-16, 04:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1906 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 462 Posts
Most states probably have laws that strictly define a moped (must be able to be propelled by pedaling as well as by an engine) and they are frequently classed with 49cc-and-smaller motor scooters (not pedal-able) as motor vehicles that need not be licensed or inspected. Virginia is like this. The dinky scooters are the ones you see struggling to go 45 in the 'burbs but one of them would be okay in town. Mopeds and mini-scooters are not known as "DUI rides" for nothing. A poll of the riders would probably reveal many a loss of driver's license somewhere along the line.

Having owned motorcycles and planning to get another (sold the last one to fund a TransAm trip) I won't go smaller than about 250cc, whether I get a scooter or a motorcycle. That is a real-world-capable size that I would find vastly preferable to a tiddler.
Old 09-23-16, 07:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Most states probably have laws that strictly define a moped (must be able to be propelled by pedaling as well as by an engine) and they are frequently classed with 49cc-and-smaller motor scooters (not pedal-able) as motor vehicles that need not be licensed or inspected.
I believe the OP is in Missouri.

Missouri requires a drivers license but does not require a motorcycle endorsement for anything motorized.

Smaller than 50cc, less than 3HP and less than 30MPH is a scooter and requires a license only. Registration and insurance are not required. It has to have reflectors or lights for night.

Larger than 50CC, more than 3HP or more than 30MPH requires the same thing as a motorcycle - insurance, registration, etc.

-Tim-
Old 09-23-16, 08:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Go talk to your peers Here https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...-bicycles.html

Many NL Bike Paths also let Small displacement Mo-Peds use them too..

My local does MTB Mid drive electric Motor conversions for Mostly Hunters.
./.
Didn't know that BF sub/subforum existed.
Old 09-23-16, 08:30 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
heck this was 20 years ago so memory is kinda foggy but a friend had a moped that he found a custom kit for that boosted it's top speed significantly. you may be able to find a moped and then soup it up aftermarket.
Old 09-23-16, 08:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Most states probably have laws that strictly define a moped (must be able to be propelled by pedaling as well as by an engine) and they are frequently classed with 49cc-and-smaller motor scooters (not pedal-able) as motor vehicles that need not be licensed or inspected. Virginia is like this. The dinky scooters are the ones you see struggling to go 45 in the 'burbs but one of them would be okay in town. Mopeds and mini-scooters are not known as "DUI rides" for nothing. A poll of the riders would probably reveal many a loss of driver's license somewhere along the line.

Having owned motorcycles and planning to get another (sold the last one to fund a TransAm trip) I won't go smaller than about 250cc, whether I get a scooter or a motorcycle. That is a real-world-capable size that I would find vastly preferable to a tiddler.

If you get stopped on a moped while under suspension for DUI, I could almost be certain you are not allowed on motorized vehicles of any kind, licensed or not. Driving is driving.
Old 09-23-16, 09:13 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
I have a vintage (1978) moped - (the large-wheel variety with pedals, not a scooter) and pull it out for a spin around the neighborhood every now and then. Fun but barely transportation. I find that cars, even in a 25-35 mph zone, get behind me and then force a pass, treating me like a bicycle.

In Virginia a motorbike of any type that is found going over 35 mph is considered a motorcycle and must meet the requirements for a motorcycle, so souping up a moped and zipping around town at 45 mph will get you in trouble.

Check your local laws and then ask a local moped dealer what the rules are. Don't take anyone's word for it, because they're probably wrong. The laws vary from state to state and have gotten more strict in recent years. North Carolina has even gotten tough on where you can park one. Consider too that not being required to have insurance does not mean that you are exempt from being held liable for whatever damage or injury you might cause to others. Do something stupid and cause an accident that totals someone's new car, and be prepared to pay.

And last, a little real world advice: Stay off of motorcycles. I worked in a motorcycle shop in my younger days and rode motorcycles during that time, and everyone I knew that rode, including myself, had a story to tell about getting involved in an accident where they tangled with a careless car driver. Most of those accidents resulted in serious injuries and could have been much worse. After several scary near-misses, an accident that was not my fault totaled my motorcycle and my helmet, and totaled a Ford Falcon that got in my way. I was lucky to limp away from that one with a headache. It happens fast.

Old 09-23-16, 09:41 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0 View Post
.......... I'm not loving commuting to work on the bike as much as I had hoped and dreamed.........
It isn't the vehicle that makes (or breaks) a commute... it's the time and distance.

Years ago... I rented a nice little apartment less than two miles from where I worked. I walked year-round in all types of Midwestern weather and enjoyed every commute.... except that one day of hale.

I can not imagine a commute that would be too far for a bicycle.... but just fine for a moped. Maybe... that's why mopeds have just never really caught on... I don't know.
Old 09-23-16, 10:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 306 Posts
In my view, the primary attraction of a scooter is parking. In many places, you can park a scooter like a bicycle, meaning that you can park close to your destination, and don't have to pay.

The primary place where people use scooters is at colleges and universities, where bike parking is plentiful and car parking is prohibitive.

For instance I have a relative who works at a large state university. He doesn't want to pay for a parking sticker, so he has a scooter that he can park in front of his building. The university near where I live recently added designated parking and permits for scooters, and I've noticed fewer scooters.

Personally, I think that electric bikes will supplant scooters. But if you want something with a gas motor, then here's what I suggest: If you need to take advantage of special provisions for parking a scooter, then get a scooter. But if parking is not an issue, then get a little motorcycle instead.
Old 09-23-16, 10:49 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a scooter before I got back into cycling as an adult. Got bored with it after I got the bike/figured I'd rather spend my time riding the bike than the scooter- but for commuting? Heck yeah! They're cheap and pleasant transportation. I had modded my 50cc scooter so it'd do nearly 50MPH on the flats...
Old 09-23-16, 11:33 PM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
If you get stopped on a moped while under suspension for DUI, I could almost be certain you are not allowed on motorized vehicles of any kind, licensed or not. Driving is driving.
Not true. North Carolina was the same way when I lived there. Anything under 50cc's require no license although you can still get a second dui on one. They were always called dui mobiles out there.
Old 09-24-16, 02:54 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'd not considered an electric bike but will look into it.

The distance and time involved in the bike commute is not an issue, it is less than 9 miles one way. I can ride much farther than this, it's commuting that I'm not really falling in love with. I just find it defeating to ride my bike to work.

I don't want more power, I want simplicity. I own a car that is just about the smallest commercially produced size (engine wise) they have in America, and would gladly own a smaller one if they existed. I just want a simpler life..... perhaps I am becoming a non-conformist because of that. Although I don't think of myself as that kind of person.

The other factor here is cost. I don't want a motorcycle because of the cost involved with ownership/insurance/extra licensure, and so forth. In Missouri neither an endorsement or insurance is needed to own/ride a bike 49 cc or less, as some others have stated. Plus I have nowhere to store a motorcycle. I store my bicycle in a closet in my kitchen.

But I'll look more into the idea of an electric bike. I think that would be more my style anyway. I took a 2014 scooter for a test ride yesterday at a local motorcycle shop, and I was surprised at how much I did not like it. It was gigantic and very heavy, much bigger than the photos let on. If I do get something, I think the more like a bike it is the more I'll enjoy it. So maybe an Ebike is a good fit. I could concievably have room in my life for one N+1! Thanks.
Old 09-24-16, 03:31 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1906 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Enforcement is the issue here. I'd wager that anyone popped for DUI would be willing to take his chances that he'll never be pulled on a moped/scooter regardless of what the law states you can or cannot do. And even if he does get pulled, do you think such a person cares beyond the inconvenience of being hassled by The Man?

Good luck to the OP. If he's going electric he should report back on his selection and experience. EVs are becoming more viable and we could use the information.

Last edited by thumpism; 09-24-16 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-24-16, 04:28 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
a 50 cc scooter, in many urban settings, is pragmatic and fun - Genuine Roughouse or Honda Ruckus are good examples. My college freshman son, who needs to commute 2-3 miles between class locations - uses a cyclocross bike for good weather and a Roughouse for messy. Scooter is just slightly faster, however parking is a little harder as he cannot park it where bikes go.
I too mix bicycle and motorized cycle commuting. Commute to work is 10.4 miles, with half dirt/gravel road and a couple thousand feet of climbing home. With multimodal - have about equal distance since last spring on bike and a small dual sport (DS) motorcycle. Put gas in the DS earlier this week, had 93 miles on the trip odometer, put in 0.95 gal of gas - so it is fuel effective for me. living in a very rural hilly area, stuff and services are not close together - often it is just more realistic to go by DS. Been a couple weeks since I rode anything to work that had more than two wheels.
Old 09-24-16, 04:46 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 56 Posts
OP - unless you have a pretty flat commute a 49 cc scooter is going to be a pain in the neck for you.

I have a 150cc 2 stroke scooter. Used to ride it to work, all around town, even did a few half day rides on it. Fun, but up steep hills lost a lot of speed. Could do 60 mph on flats, but there isn't much mass to the things and on small scooter wheels that feels a little sketchy. And the two stroke is a b-tch for maintenance and tweaking (to be fair I just had to put a racing exhaust on it, rejet it, etc which just made it even worse.) If you decide on a larger cc scooter get one with larger wheels and 4 stroke - get a reliable one like Kymco, not cheap knock off.

Got a used Honda Nighthawk 750 a couple years ago. Should have done that first instead of the scooter. MC's don't ride anything like a scooter. More power, more stability. The mass of the bike makes it so much more stable - they basically WANT to stay upright which is why you can ride no hands with ease.

Scooters are more $ vs a MC - new at least.

There are tons of good used MC's on Craigslist.

MC/Scooter insurance is VERY cheap. Check out Dairyland Insurance for a quote.

As for mopeds. I don't think you can get a new one anymore….just used. Go to YouTube and lookup "Throw a Kit" by Hollywood Holt. (NSFW)

Last edited by billyymc; 09-24-16 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-24-16, 07:50 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi College. You say that you are not enjoying your commute as much as you had anticipated (needing to arrive early enough, etc.). What is your commute like--how far, what conditions? I'm just curious. Commuting by bike can be challenging sometimes, no doubt. I'm just trying to think of what a moped/electric bike would really buy you that would make such a drastic difference (apart from a bit less sweat!).
Old 09-24-16, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 821 Posts
there are some mid sized semi step through motor scooters ..

I suspect the whole production run of Honda 50's
never leaves Asia any more , Viet Nam's roads are full of them , it appears.. In recent post war recovery pictures.

I just want a little scoot that I don't need to register or pay insurance for. Also, I guess the closer it is in size and speed to a bicycle, the more I'll enjoy it.
I Cannot read your state vehicle code for you . i'm just too lazy...
but are you prepared to be sued for Liable damages caused by your actions. and lose everything , being an un insured mototist ?

The US market demand for electric assist bikes is getting bigger all the time but they wont be cheap,

you read like a "penny wise pound foolish" sort..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-23-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 10:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 538 Posts
.... it's commuting that I'm not really falling in love with. I just find it defeating to ride my bike to work.
Loud and clear. I finish an awesome bike ride, I'm happy and alive ... ugh, I am at work.

A scooter/moped/E-bike is much less thought (you can wear ordinary clothes/shoes, don't have to work hard, can carry what you need, can still do or even exceed bicycle speeds---and doesn't need insurance) and much more convenience (all the same reasons.)

Motorcycles are tough as primary transport---to get a highway-ready bike you are looking at at least 450 cc, , special licensing, limited carrying capacity, no weather protection ... tons of fun to ride, but not as practical as a car---and a lot more impact than a bike or E-bike.

I own a car that is just about the smallest commercially produced size (engine wise) they have in America, and would gladly own a smaller one if they existed.
I have been looking at the Elio, if it ever gets to production ... I have dreamed of a cyclecar since high-school. Elio Motors
I took a 2014 scooter for a test ride yesterday at a local motorcycle shop, and I was surprised at how much I did not like it. It was gigantic and very heavy, much bigger than the photos let on. If I do get something, I think the more like a bike it is the more I'll enjoy it. So maybe an Ebike is a good fit. I could concievably have room in my life for one N+1! Thanks.
Yeah, a scooter is a small motorcycle .... a moped is light enough to carry up stairs (hmmmm ... I have lost a lot of strength with age and injury, so maybe ...) and easy to fling around. A scooter is a motorcycle for someone who doesn't want to ride a motorcycle but really does.

E-bike sounds like your speed.

Bonus ... you could come here and we'd still talk to you.
Old 09-24-16, 12:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 749 Posts
pretty sure I'm getting an ebike for my commute. Just too many times where I drive when an ebike would work fine. Driving doesn'tt work that great since I still have to walk 10 minutes from parking. A ebike is drive right up to my building.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.