Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Covid Stupidity

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Covid Stupidity

Old 01-06-21, 05:48 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 254 Posts
Covid Stupidity

I suffer from ASD, so there are lots of things that are harder for me to deal with than most people. When someone does something that is "against the rules," or really stupid, or against mainstream behavior (like wearing shorts in the winter), I have a hard time letting it go.

So a couple days ago, my wife and I were at the grocery store ready to check out. People were keeping the recommended six feet apart, and all was well. There was a couple in front of us unloading their goods onto the checkout conveyor, and suddenly the guy pulled down his mask and picked his nose. My eyes must have bugged out like a cartoon, and my wife saw it too. We discussed it afterward and it dawned on me that this stupid little slip up could probably cause a certain percentage of covid infections. No wonder the virus is still raging! I see people all the time who wear a mask over their mouths with their noses exposed and breathing through their noses. Idiocy! What dumb moves have you guys seen out there?
Old 01-06-21, 06:16 AM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I suffer from ASD, so there are lots of things that are harder for me to deal with than most people. When someone does something that is "against the rules," or really stupid, or against mainstream behavior (like wearing shorts in the winter), I have a hard time letting it go.

So a couple days ago, my wife and I were at the grocery store ready to check out. People were keeping the recommended six feet apart, and all was well. There was a couple in front of us unloading their goods onto the checkout conveyor, and suddenly the guy pulled down his mask and picked his nose. My eyes must have bugged out like a cartoon, and my wife saw it too. We discussed it afterward and it dawned on me that this stupid little slip up could probably cause a certain percentage of covid infections. No wonder the virus is still raging! I see people all the time who wear a mask over their mouths with their noses exposed and breathing through their noses. Idiocy! What dumb moves have you guys seen out there?
I am sorry but you made me laugh. Covid or no covid I would of had the same reaction to someone picking their nose in front of me .
Likes For cloud:
Old 01-06-21, 07:38 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 414 Posts
Not counting motorcycle protective gear, the last time I wore long pants was Christmas. Before that, maybe last January. I just can't deny the ladies a chance to glance at my chiseled calves.
Old 01-06-21, 10:12 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
Not counting motorcycle protective gear, the last time I wore long pants was Christmas. Before that, maybe last January. I just can't deny the ladies a chance to glance at my chiseled calves.
Living in Florida isnt exactly a qualifier for this.
Old 01-06-21, 10:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12720 Post(s)
Liked 4,984 Times in 2,570 Posts
I saw a guy in Philly wearing shorts yesterday. Temp was in the low 40s.
Old 01-06-21, 10:26 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 299 Posts
I saw someone use gloves to put fuel in their car. He removed car fuel cap, removed pump nozzle, dispensed fuel. Then replaced nozzle. Sounds good, THEN got in car, touched steering wheel, adjusted mirror, touched mask, ALL With Gloves Still On.
Old 01-06-21, 10:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 289 Posts
There is all sorts of stupidity but I would not say that wearing shorts in winter is stupid. What does seem ignorant is someone who feels their preferences are a law of the Universe. I've hiked with people who have worn shorts in winter down to below freezing. I myself at the time was well bundled up in a toasty parka but others are walking steam engines.
Old 01-06-21, 10:42 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I went to Minneapolis in my college days for spring break. 1st week in March. High 20s and sun. Didn't see shorts but denim jackets unbuttoned were common. (Went back to Ann Arbor with its wind, cloud cover and Great Lakes humidity. Same temp. Full winter jackets zipped up.)

Edit: But to the topic, here in Portland most are pretty responsible, at least in stores. But it does seem as though there is a reverse relationship between mask responsibility and human density. It's at the popular times to shop that I see the poorest use of masks.

Over the summer I'd return from bike rides and hear the usual din coming from the pubs.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-06-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-06-21, 11:11 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 337 Posts
Close your eyes...
Old 01-06-21, 11:20 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,169 Posts
I find Bubba and Bubbette amusing my two favorite real life characters...
Old 01-06-21, 11:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 309 Posts
There was a couple in front of us unloading their goods onto the checkout conveyor, and suddenly the guy pulled down his mask and picked his nose.
The funny thing is these are the same people who will be having a conversation with their friends or neighbors and start talking about how careful they are when they go out in public. I see stuff like that all the time. The majority of people out there have no conscious, in the moment awareness of the things they do out of habit. The one I see the most is the "very careful" people getting on an escalator and grabbing the rail without a 2nd thought as to what they are doing.
Old 01-06-21, 11:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9872 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,416 Posts
Any temp over 45 is "shorts weather" for us folks with great cycling "gams."

Believe it or not... there are some of us that plunge ourselves into chilly ocean waters too.
Likes For genec:
Old 01-06-21, 12:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

I wear shorts all winter that is why the Midwest and central Canada invades S Texas this time of year. We love snow birds they spend a lot of $ down here. Great for the economy.
Old 01-06-21, 12:45 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 247 Posts
#wobbletoandfro
Old 01-06-21, 12:50 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4875 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 919 Posts
Long pants are so constraining and hot. Always shorts for me if over 35F.

Even when hiking I prefer the ventilation over protection

Last edited by noisebeam; 01-06-21 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-06-21, 01:00 PM
cloud

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Long pants are so constraining and hot. Always shorts for me if over 35F.

Even when hiking I prefer the ventilation over protection

And I thought you were showing us covid toes !
Old 01-06-21, 01:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Yeah, I am due a pedicure soon.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-06-21, 01:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12720 Post(s)
Liked 4,984 Times in 2,570 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Any temp over 45 is "shorts weather" for us folks with great cycling "gams."

Believe it or not... there are some of us that plunge ourselves into chilly ocean waters too.
I have to say that when I did my first Cycle Oregon in 2002 there were people sitting around in the beer garden in shorts. The temperature was probably around the mid-40s at that hour of the evening. It dipped below freezing that night. I guess itís what you are accustomed to. I was impressed.

When I rode across the US with a dozen other people I remember some of us asking a local in Montana about the weather forecast. The woman replied that at that time of year they prepare for anything. More hearty than people from the east.
Old 01-06-21, 01:20 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
So sorry to hear that you are afflicted with ASD , whatever that is. Don't let the actions of others affect you. Just beat some sense into them and go on about your business. (or not) lol
Old 01-06-21, 01:40 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I was on a three day supported ride from low desert to mountains and back. On day two most of about eight of us were wearing shorts as we climbed into the mountains to a pass. Then a bit of sleet and then temps suddenly dropped to the high 20s. Several at the pass could not keep riding and were shivering uncontrollably hoping the SAG would come. I had on knee warmers, a wool jersey and gloves and was not affected, but I stopped to help and several of they guys just wanted to curl up in the woods while shivering - one guy couldn't speak clearly anymore - yeah it was bad. I kept grabbing them out of the woods and forcing them to do jumping jacks to warm up. At one point I had five of them lined up on the side of the road and kept pushing them to jump. Eventually a non SAG truck came by to help the first batch down to the valley, the SAG picked up the rest. I was one of two from this group who rode the decent. Hypothermia bad.
Old 01-06-21, 03:16 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Okay so it looks like this thread has developed a dual-theme! Well that's just going to have to be okay.

I used to work with a guy who wore shorts all winter long. I felt myself getting all bent out of shape about it until I caught myself and moved on. Like I said, some things bother me more than most people. He would come to work in mid-January, which here in NH is typically mid-teens to mid-30's, dressed in shorts, t-shirt, and a big parka. His legs were ghost-white from all of the blood withdrawn. We sure used to have some fun ribbing him!

​​​​Hondo Gravel I told chewybrian that living in the South isnt exactly a qualifier for the shorts-in-winter debate, I'll have to admit that the coldest winter I ever spent ANYWHERE - including Alaska - was in Del Rio, Texas. I was in the USAF and worked the flightline. That wind would just whip through you and tear you apart like tissue paper.
Old 01-06-21, 03:30 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Okay so it looks like this thread has developed a dual-theme! Well that's just going to have to be okay.

I used to work with a guy who wore shorts all winter long. I felt myself getting all bent out of shape about it until I caught myself and moved on. Like I said, some things bother me more than most people. He would come to work in mid-January, which here in NH is typically mid-teens to mid-30's, dressed in shorts, t-shirt, and a big parka. His legs were ghost-white from all of the blood withdrawn. We sure used to have some fun ribbing him!

​​​​Hondo Gravel I told chewybrian that living in the South isnt exactly a qualifier for the shorts-in-winter debate, I'll have to admit that the coldest winter I ever spent ANYWHERE - including Alaska - was in Del Rio, Texas. I was in the USAF and worked the flightline. That wind would just whip through you and tear you apart like tissue paper.
Yup, Del Rio is always windy. Fighting the wind out on lake Amistad is a challenge out on a boat. Del Rio just a few hours cruising Highway 90. Popular fishing area.
Old 01-06-21, 05:45 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 163 Posts
It gets cold in north Florida in the winter. Mornings in the 30s are not uncommon. Among the student set that brings out shorts and parkas.

I've been on the first tee in shorts (and two sweaters) when it's in the 40s, but only when I know it's going to warm up quickly.
Old 01-06-21, 06:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 302 Posts
Next time just ask if he's digging for buried treasure.

I also get the whole wearing shorts below 20*, that's kilt weather. Till 20, shorts all the way, but below that I need actual socks to keep my feet and legs warm. Biking below 45* does at the least require leg warmers.
Old 01-07-21, 09:22 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup, Del Rio is always windy. Fighting the wind out on lake Amistad is a challenge out on a boat. Del Rio just a few hours cruising Highway 90. Popular fishing area.
It is my fondest wish to swim in Lake Amistad once more. I've spent many happy hours there. I even got my scuba certification there in 1978!

Dear Wife and I have started planning a post-covid trip in which we fly into San Antonio, rent a car and drive to Del Rio for a day or two, then drive up to Rochester, TX and stay with my best friend for a day or two.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 01-07-21 at 09:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.