Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sram Red 22 eTap front derailleur availability

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 12:03 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts

I've got two bikes with eTap 11-speed.
One was in a crash & had both derailleurs damaged.
I was able to easily replace the rear with the new A2 design, which I'm happy about.
But I just found out from a retailer & from a Sram CS rep, that the 11-speed front derailleurs are not being made or sold (only for warranty).
Apparently there was talk of the AXS FD getting new firmware to make it compatible with 11-speed, but there isn't any info on that.
Hopefully this isn't true, and new FD's will be available soon, if not, Sram is going to alienate quite a few people.
I can't find a 11-speed FD in stock anywhere.

Does anyone here know what is going on with eTap 11-speed FD's?
Old 01-14-21, 05:59 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I have had good luck finding SRAM 11 speed tap components from texascyclesport. Having said that, good luck. I believe such parts are on the endangered species list and the pandemic has certainly not helped with the supply chain.

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I've got two bikes with eTap 11-speed.
One was in a crash & had both derailleurs damaged.
I was able to easily replace the rear with the new A2 design, which I'm happy about.
But I just found out from a retailer & from a Sram CS rep, that the 11-speed front derailleurs are not being made or sold (only for warranty).
Apparently there was talk of the AXS FD getting new firmware to make it compatible with 11-speed, but there isn't any info on that.
Hopefully this isn't true, and new FD's will be available soon, if not, Sram is going to alienate quite a few people.
I can't find a 11-speed FD in stock anywhere.

Does anyone here know what is going on with eTap 11-speed FD's?
Old 01-14-21, 07:08 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I own Red eTap and found the original post scary and somewhat unbelievable so I went out and did a search. I was saddened when I couldn't find one, either. I saw "no longer available," "out of stock," etc.

Old 01-14-21, 08:39 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Call SRAM and ask them.
Old 01-17-21, 10:24 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Sram is trying to capitalize on thier new 12 speed group. So old parts available is counter to that mind set.
I think Sram is going to alienate a lot of people with these type of business tactics. I have one 11 speed and a 12 speed axs bike. But my next bike will likely be Shimano. Due to the Schwinn like proprietary tactics that Sram has adopted. This is just another crap move. After the date **** like experience of building the 12 speed axs bike I'm likely done with Sram.
Old 01-18-21, 12:57 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Shimano will do the same thing this summer when the new dura ace 12 speed comes out. Nothing will be compatible with 11 speed. Ultegra will follow the next year.
Old 01-18-21, 06:58 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Shimano will do the same thing this summer when the new dura ace 12 speed comes out. Nothing will be compatible with 11 speed. Ultegra will follow the next year.
I don't have an issue with Sram going to 12-speed.
The problem is that they announced that they'd continue to support 11-speed eTap,
Sram went as far as releasing a new RD based on AXS, and even has a part number for a new FD.
But for some unknown reason, they've decided to not make either the old or new11-speed eTap FD.
Several calls to Sram CS yielded no information other than I'm not the only one who's unhappy about this.

There's not a chance that I'll switch to AXS 12-speed.
Old 03-01-21, 02:18 AM
lwpweb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree. SRAM switched to proprietary. Unfortunately. Since spareparts for red retap 11 are gernerally not more available i prepared all parts ready to switch back to Ultegra 6/8000 and finally as time goes by Shimano or the Chinese will enter the wireless market too, but for sure in an compatible way to shimano. The shimano market is bigger much bigger than the sram market. Always in the world: Compatibility wins. Proprietry dies like shown in so many examples.
Old 03-01-21, 07:26 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lwpweb
I totally agree. SRAM switched to proprietary. Unfortunately. Since spareparts for red retap 11 are gernerally not more available i prepared all parts ready to switch back to Ultegra 6/8000 and finally as time goes by Shimano or the Chinese will enter the wireless market too, but for sure in an compatible way to shimano. The shimano market is bigger much bigger than the sram market. Always in the world: Compatibility wins. Proprietry dies like shown in so many examples.
Shimano electrics are just as proprietary as SRAMs. So, your point?
Old 03-01-21, 09:05 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by lwpweb

I read the word proprietary used far too often and almost always incorrectly. Something that's not built to a very old shimano standard is not proprietary. Shimano will soon release new 12 speed groups that use their microspline freehub, just like the MTB groups that they already sell. The microspline hub uses the same inboard bearing location as most other brands and the old, flawed shallow spline design will die a slow death. Currently, SRAM sells cassettes that fit the shimano 11 speed freehub, MTB cassettes that use the XD freehub and 12 speed cassettes that use the XDR freehub. XDR with a spacer becomes an XD freehub. None of these is proprietary. Any company can build wheels with XDR freehubs. Campy has used a deep spline freehub for 9-10-11-12 speed. With their new 13 speed 1X gravel group, a new N3W freehub must be used, but it's also compatible with 9-12 speed cassettes. Any company can copy this freehub if they choose. I can buy Campy/Fulcrum wheels with a freehub that accepts any cassette brand that I choose. Many wheel and hub brands are already making N3W freehubs.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-01-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 01:37 AM
alpanian

Bikes: Rose X-LITE TEAM 4000 '17, Koga Miyata Proracer '81, BMC SLX01 '08, Focus Arriba 3.0 '15

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It's a bit like Android vs Apple. I'd bet if we ran a poll, you'd find strong correlation of Iphone owners running eTap and android phone owners running Di2.
Old 03-23-21, 05:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by alpanian
It's a bit like Android vs Apple. I'd bet if we ran a poll, you'd find strong correlation of Iphone owners running eTap and android phone owners running Di2.
I have eTap and Android phone.