Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Aspero Pricing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cervelo Aspero Pricing

Old 01-19-21, 12:56 PM
  #1  
AcesHigh007
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cervelo Aspero Pricing

The Aspero GRX RX810 Disc is $4500.
The Aspero GRX Di2 Disc is $6000.
The only difference between the two models is Di2.
Why is there a $1500 increase for GRX Di2 OVER GRX?
AcesHigh007 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 01:10 PM
  #2  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,874

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 633 Posts
Yeah, seems like big jump in price. On the other hand, there's only a $300 price increase from a bare frame to a fully equipped bike. Go figure.
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 01:20 PM
  #3  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,725

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16013 Post(s)
Liked 4,763 Times in 2,510 Posts
You already have one of these threads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...oad-bikes.html
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-19-21, 01:27 PM
  #4  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,268

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5008 Post(s)
Liked 2,317 Times in 1,361 Posts
Lets all copy and paste whats already been discussed. Sounds like time well spent.***


I would say you are missing the ability to fairly compare bikes.

Don't compare mechanical to di2 first off.
Secondly, an integrated cockpit is hardly a clear upgrade. It can be beneficial for some and frustrating for some.
Third, a carbon stem and bars can be nice, but hardly necessary. A carbon stem is often negligible in 'improvement' vs nice alloy stems.

It costs more because theybcan charge it.

If you don't like the cost, then buy the cheaper bike and buy di2 then install it yourself and sell the mechanical group.
You win then.

...or buy a different bike.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-21, 01:36 PM
  #5  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,725

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16013 Post(s)
Liked 4,763 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Lets all copy and paste whats already been discussed. Sounds like time well spent.***
Even better -

Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
This thread should be locked. I've learned enough about what to expect from this forum.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-19-21, 01:46 PM
  #6  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,275

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 826 Posts
Pricing of anything doesn't have to conform to your expectations. I sure they have their reasons. Even if it just that they think that the majority of folks buying Di2 equipped bikes will be willing to pay that much. Just because you apparently need some other value added component to get there doesn't make them wrong for the price they set.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:15 PM
  #7  
AcesHigh007
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Pricing of anything doesn't have to conform to your expectations. I sure they have their reasons. Even if it just that they think that the majority of folks buying Di2 equipped bikes will be willing to pay that much. Just because you apparently need some other value added component to get there doesn't make them wrong for the price they set.
i.e. The pricing of bikes is out of whack.
AcesHigh007 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:24 PM
  #8  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,083
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
i.e. The pricing of bikes is out of whack.
I think you said that last month....
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:31 PM
  #9  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,083
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
You already have one of these threads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...oad-bikes.html
Good catch!
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:37 PM
  #10  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,580

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
i.e. The pricing of bikes is out of whack.
So don’t buy the model w/ Di2
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:41 PM
  #11  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,874

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
You already have one of these threads.
Oh, yeah ...
tomato coupe is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 02:50 PM
  #12  
AcesHigh007
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Yeah, seems like big jump in price. On the other hand, there's only a $300 price increase from a bare frame to a fully equipped bike. Go figure.
Thank you for the thoughtful response (hard to get around here). I totally agree with you.
AcesHigh007 is offline  
Likes For AcesHigh007:
Old 01-19-21, 02:57 PM
  #13  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,725

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16013 Post(s)
Liked 4,763 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
i.e. The pricing of bikes is out of whack.
Or the alternative is: not all factors that play in to pricing are obvious and visible to you.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 01-19-21, 02:59 PM
  #14  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,725

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16013 Post(s)
Liked 4,763 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
i.e. The pricing of bikes is out of whack.
Also, you seem to be approaching this from, "they're screwing me over because I want Di2 - waaaah!" Maybe you should be looking at it as, "damn, that mechanical set-up is aggressively priced!"

For $4500, you get:

$2.5k frame
$1.5k groupset
$1.2k carbon wheels
$600+ worth of carbon bars, stem, carbon seat post, saddle
$100 in tires

Last edited by WhyFi; 01-19-21 at 03:29 PM.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-19-21, 03:06 PM
  #15  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,874

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful response (hard to get around here). I totally agree with you.
Yes, but after being reminded of your previous thread, I totally disagree with myself.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-21, 03:07 PM
  #16  
AcesHigh007
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Or the alternative is: not all factors that play in to pricing are obvious and visible to you.
Say you go into Whole Foods to buy six apples. There are two options to choose from; A single apple for $1, or a package of six for $25. There is no difference in the quality of apples between the two offerings. The package of six is exactly what you want, it also provides a convenient way to carry the apples. Instead you have to manage six individual apples because "THE PRICES ARE OUT OF WHACK".

In this case, would you say that not all factors that play into pricing are obvious? Or would you say that the customer experience sucked?

Apple and Steve Jobs NEVER made a mistake like this. While their product pricing was on the high side, the cost of upgrades was consistent and never left the consumer feeling like they couldn't get what they wanted because the company was being greedy.

The logic in this forum is also out of whack. Too many concussions perhaps?
AcesHigh007 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 03:14 PM
  #17  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 8,083
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 1,064 Posts
Most folks only buy one bike at a time. If you are buying six you should definitely ask for a volume discount.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 03:14 PM
  #18  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,725

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16013 Post(s)
Liked 4,763 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
Say you go into Whole Foods to buy six apples. There are two options to choose from; A single apple for $1, or a package of six for $25. There is no difference in the quality of apples between the two offerings. The package of six is exactly what you want, it also provides a convenient way to carry the apples. Instead you have to manage six individual apples because "THE PRICES ARE OUT OF WHACK".
You're awesome at the whole analogy thing.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-19-21, 03:19 PM
  #19  
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars
 
sfrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 101 Posts
A mechanical groupset is a commodity or commodity-like (aka commoditized), Di2 is not? So you get cost-plus pricing vs value pricing.
__________________
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

sfrider is offline  
Likes For sfrider:
Old 01-19-21, 03:25 PM
  #20  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,874

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
Say you go into Whole Foods to buy six Apples. There are two options to choose from; A single Apple for $1, or a package of six for $25. There is no difference in the quality of Apples between the two offerings...

Apple and Steve Jobs NEVER made a mistake like this. While their product pricing was on the high side, the cost of upgrades was consistent and never left the consumer feeling like they couldn't get what they wanted because the company was being greedy.
Whole Foods is selling Apple computers for $1 each? Cool.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-21, 03:45 PM
  #21  
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 19,010

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked 2,388 Times in 1,476 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Whole Foods is selling Apple computers for $1 each? Cool.
I just stopped into my local Whole Foods and was told by the produce manager that they were out of stock.
__________________
Bike Don't Lie



cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-19-21, 03:46 PM
  #22  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,268

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5008 Post(s)
Liked 2,317 Times in 1,361 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
Say you go into Whole Foods to buy six apples. There are two options to choose from; A single apple for $1, or a package of six for $25. There is no difference in the quality of apples between the two offerings. The package of six is exactly what you want, it also provides a convenient way to carry the apples. Instead you have to manage six individual apples because "THE PRICES ARE OUT OF WHACK".

In this case, would you say that not all factors that play into pricing are obvious? Or would you say that the customer experience sucked?

Apple and Steve Jobs NEVER made a mistake like this. While their product pricing was on the high side, the cost of upgrades was consistent and never left the consumer feeling like they couldn't get what they wanted because the company was being greedy.

The logic in this forum is also out of whack. Too many concussions perhaps?
Last weekend I bought 3 small packages of chocolate chips instead of the large package of chocolate chips because individually, the 3 bags cost less. Odd.
Oh, and for 2 years no, a 5# bag of carrots costs 20 cents more than five individual 1# bags. Odd.

You know what I do?...I buy the 5 bags of carrots. Its stupid, but damnit I dont want to support buying a 5# bag of something for more money! Every week I buy a bunch of bags of carrots. Totally wasteful.
Oh, and I bought small bags of chocolate chips a few days ago for the same reason.

Not all products are priced in a linear fashion. Some are, but not all are. Typically, the more you buy the bigger the savings, but not always.
And sometimes, there are other differences between bikes besides just Di2.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-21, 03:54 PM
  #23  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 486 Posts
In a free market economy, the price a willing buyer pays and a willing seller takes determines the value.

If you don't want to pay $6,000 for the Di2 version, then you don't have to buy the bike. But, your dissatisfaction with the price does not mean that the seller has to take less for its product. The good thing is you have the freedom to choose.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 04:26 PM
  #24  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 640

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesHigh007 View Post
The Aspero GRX Di2 Disc is $6000.
The only difference between the two models is Di2.
Why is there a $1500 increase for GRX Di2 OVER GRX?
How much should it cost in your opinion?
Reflector Guy is offline  
Old 01-19-21, 04:37 PM
  #25  
AcesHigh007
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
How much should it cost in your opinion?
Thank you for your thoughtful question.

At most, whatever the difference is in street price between the Shimano GRX Di2 group and GRX group, plus any expense required to build it (which shouldn't be much). Cervelo isn't paying street prices for these groups, so it would be nice if they passed a little saving onto the customer. Somewhere between $500 to $1000. Definitely not $1500.

There are other models in the Cervelo lineup that jump from Ultegra mechanical to Ultegra Di2, the price increases by $1500, but those include upgrades to other bits as well (wheels or bars). The Aspero GRX to GRX Di2 is an example of only the group changing for a seemingly unjustifiable price.


$1500 is a slap in the face.
AcesHigh007 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.